• Published 12th Oct 2016
  • 801 Views, 10 Comments

Land of the Rising Sun: Quelling the Ryu - TheronSniper



Equestria in the midst of a growing epidemic of magic exhaustion, the Princesses still try to keep the peace with their neighbors. A war escalating has forces her to send an ambassador to see to peace, but they don't bow to anyone.

  • ...
2
 10
 801

Ch. 2 The Trojan Horse

Ch. 2 The Trojan Horse

Somewhere in the royal gardens, Princess Celestia sat among a throng of hibiscus bushes with flowers of varying color combinations that were her favorite to pass by the time. From white petals which sunk into blood red stamens, to the vibrant orange sunbursts, even a few neon purple with violet fringes that always brought her into a good mood which she needed more than ever now.

A recent influx of reports of exhausted foals had come in from philidelphia, and doctors were pointing at mysteriously drained mana wells within them which there was no sign of a perp. The best their police departments could offer tracked no residual washes which even Tirek left during his start of rise to power. The foals simply had the environment yank it all away, no matter if they were also pegasus or earth ponies. Unicorns were the hardest hit as they were naturally talented with magic, to have it removed was the equivalent of taking way their limbs.

This was just one of three cities reporting such situations, the others places had adults lose their magic but as with the foals the incidents were far to spread out to be the act of one or a few. Ever since the medical issue had arose a century or two ago, perhaps even more it was hard to tell when it began. Celestia had stayed up a few nights here and there being unable to get proper sleep as she thought of the poor ponies afflicted by the travesty. Those never stopped happening and even after all these years they never let up. With Luna back, she had done what she could in the dream realm to find any hints as to possible culprits but none came. With the frequency of her protégé visiting her, she’d been taken accustom to use Pick Me Up charms to remove the slight tired look in her eyes and muzzle. Her magic was powerful enough that it none of the others noticed unless they used a detection spell. For now Twilight did not need to know about the problem until the one she assigned herself to had been resolved.

What plagued her nights now besides the state of her citizens were the ambassadors from the east. Across the open ocean on another continent, the famed for their magical forests and diverse biomes that she use to visit long ago for their delicious fruits and pastries. She never could get enough of the cakes they made with something called the Jackfruit and the Durian, the latter of which many of her staff and guards couldn’t handle for some reason.

“Neighpon… the nation of the rising sun and much like it they are alone on their island living in peace, or so they did. Something had happened in Coria, which the honorable dracony were wounded by and for some reason let them take control over the little farming nation. Cinia found it as an affront to their territory and sent troops over which started the war that has been going on for two years without my notice. Have I really become so old I cannot see everywhere and protect the lives of the confused?” she sighed to herself as her own self mourning took root.

Lately, as part of the diarchy, it became apparent of how little she now did for Equestria which she’d done in the past before much of the peace had started to become upset. She use to travel and visit far lands with the frequency of a messenger, she’d bore witness to the evolving cultures who’d always changed into something better whether it was from Saddle Arabia or Mustok. If they had a problem, they usually overcame it when she arrived, her mere presence and vast experience over the eras quelled the troubles with words. Friendships were made and forged new alliances, trades were made instead of fighting and the citizens were given better lives besides war.

“I now listen to nobles bicker like foals fighting over a ball, because of a tax they want to impose to gain more bits! I hear of the troubles and I rarely see to them myself, instead I send my most faithful student and the former bearers of the elements to handle the issues abroad. I’m a figure head at festivals, but I let war go on behind my back like this… Am I no longer the Solar Goddess who guides the soul to a better life? I’m starting to believe even Discord’s little taunts to be true. At least he gets out and around, reversing catastrophes as they happen.” She quelled the ache in her heart and went to sniff one of the sunburst flowers.

She was surprised, yet not showing the reaction when somepony answered, “Princess? Is everything okay? The guard told me you wanted to speak to me, but I only heard a little of what you just said.” Twilight looked worried as she trotted up to her mentor.

The tall alicorn closed her eyes and breathed in, she spoke in her usual motherly tone with a smile, “Good afternoon Twilight, I’m glad you could make it, we have a friendship problem that I need to entrust to you of which I can’t myself at the moment.”

The royal rose to her hooves and turned around to the younger mare behind her with her mane and tail waving in the ethereal wind, “Whatever it is I’ll do it Princess, did it happen as of late? I actually went on a couple missions the crystal map provided while on break.”

Celestia maintained her regal appearance for a moment before she looked with a very serious intent, using her magic she summoned a map, “It has come to my attention through the representatives of two countries that a war has been going on, one that even the bison conflict you and your friends helped mediate is dwarfed by such magnitude.”

The cartography showed the lands far away, even farther than Griffonstone. By her estimation they were the eastern kingdoms of the second continent of Equis, places who no pony did not even really know about other than Equestria itself, due to the vast dangerous and monster filled seas.

“I feel as if it’s my fault that these nations are left out of our harmony and peace, they are unique beyond question. Though I don’t believe even the Crystal Castle’s map can go that far, the roots of the tree of harmony do not cross large bodies of water I’m afraid.” The princess soon illuminated three areas two in red and one in green.

Twilight looked at the map with foal-like intrigue, “Amazing… who are these countries? I don’t believe I have books or records beyond the seas. I thought the continent of Equestria was the only one with a few satellite nations in the north and south? I wonder if the dragon migration extends that far or if even Lord Torch has control over those dragons?” Twilight stepped closer to view the foreign map which she visually took in with photographic memory in seconds.

Celestia gave a fond gaze at her former student and shook her head, “You still have much to learn my little pony, the reason we don’t have much in terms of knowledge of this second continent and its denizens is the fact that they don’t want Equestria involved with their lives. They are independent of the crown and rule over themselves as they see fit. I use to visit them and offer my services to maintain civility and friendship amongst their many countries. Alas, the governing of Equestria had become too much for me to take such trips after the boom in population during the last era.” she sighed joining her former student next to her to view the contents of the papyrus paper.

“WHAT??!!” Twilight nearly yelled at the top of her lungs which she quickly apologized for.

Giving her a giggle to know the outburst wasn’t taken wrong, “Yes Twilight, not everypony are like those here in Equestria, they did not experience the warring of tribes instead they embraced them or took over the land when ponies congregated towards Equestria. They did not endure the endless winter caused by the civil infighting which drew the Windegos, they prospered to grow into something massive and majestic. What Discord forced on Equestria thankfully missed their lands. Though, leaving them alone far across the seas as legends tell of their worship of godly dragons who are in essence possessing of Alicorn levels of magical ability. I believe even Discord feared incurring the wrath of the dragon lords and the might lungs of those costal nations. I don’t need to go into the more inland societies and their protectors, but there was a very kind trio who represented moral values in the more western areas. Sadly, you likely won’t have time to go to those lands, the tea times I partook with them were very pleasant and memorable.” the memories lightened the mood that signified how well the princess use to go about.

Although a little displeased at not being told of the existence of such cultures, Twilight knew not to press with the mission still needing explanation. She coughed a little to bring her mentor back into their time frame, as an evident blush of embarrassment flashed on her white fur cheeks.

“Excuse me, it has been so long since I last saw everypony there. Nonetheless, we’re going on a tangent… Twilight I’m going to have to send you to Neighpon to work out a ceasefire between the two countries and save the third from the darkness of conflict. I must warn you, they are a rather uptight group that puts nobles to shame, but they have a code of the warrior long since engrained in their psyche before their latest transition into a new age. Cinia will be second to visit, they are vast with a massive population to boost. Though like Neighpon, they are strong willed and very hard headed with customs and traditions reaching long back into time born of strife from roving raiders. It will be difficult, but you need to do what I once did and keep the peace, bring logic back into action so they may see the error in their ways.” The map magically rolled up together and a royal seal stamped it shut.

“But why me? I mean I understand that I am the Princess of Friendship, but if you’re more knowledgeable of their kingdoms wouldn’t you better qualified handle the negotiations? I could help Princess Luna run the country while you’re gone?” she proposed as she rubbed a foreleg with the other nervously.

Seeing what she was trying to do, Celestia shook her head at the humble nature she thanked the heavens her student possessed. Unlike Sunset Shimmer who would have in her past self, taken it with open hooves and gone into even knowing she knew just enough about politics to get her hooves wet. However, she trusted her former student to see the bigger picture and learn all she could before making a decision that would hopefully steer the two factions into a better direction.

“That is where you are wrong Twilight, I’ve been away from those lands for far too long. So much has likely changed that I’ll know no more than you. A fresh face, one without the power of the sun behind her back would probably have a far more effective approach, they are warriors by nature. I’m sure they’ve heard the tales of your bravery against Tirek, Discord, and saving countless lives since you arrived at ponyville. Your travel to Neighpon has already been secured and I cannot think of a better pony than you to go to them. As they only will allow the crowns and their staff onto their soil. No other Equestrian has ever been there before other than traders, and even they are rare and permitted so far. If I’m correct, you’ll be the first Equestrian to step hoof in over a thousand years.” She said as one of her massive wings draped over the lavender princess.

“I’m sure you’ll use every possible option to better their lives and show them that harmony and friendship truly are worth the merit. Dracony are not the only ones who inhabit those lands, so do not fear their stubbornness as there will be others who will desire peace too. Now, I want to give you the option of who you want to go with you on this trip, the foreign lands of the east are mystical as they are beauty incarnate. Choose your guards and the staff that will be with you through and through.” Celestia looked back to the flowers as a hummingbird dove into their view, giving them a momentary glance until their need for energy drove it the beckoning plants.

Twilight pondered for a moment, using her knowledge of the griffons and minotaurs from the recent friendship quests the crystal map had sent her friends to. The problems they solved and how those independent creatures tended to view new comers that would play a big part in the ponies she’d take with them. Three minutes of thinking and it occurred to her that she still needed the Princess’s knowledge of the dracony of old. Of course her friends couldn’t go, she worried for them too much to risk such travel this far away from home and for so long.

“Celestia? If I might ask, what were the citizens like? You’ve talked with their ambassadors, recently so are there any clues I could key in on?” she questioned while still formulating combinations of solar and night guard detachments.

Withdrawing her huge wing, she brought her golden shoed hoof to her chin as she deciphered the short audience they had with her. Both dracony scheduled at different times, since they were at war with each other it made no sense to be before her bickering over who fired first.

“Neighpon dracony are how do you say? Practical, they are beings of utility and of something called the Way. Unfortunately this, Way, is only a name I can give you, just something that the ambassador wished I knew about and respected before he left. From the times I visited, they wasted little and used space far more efficiently than ponies do here. I’d say they are strict yet peaceful ponies most of the time, and the Samurai of old often battled each other for territory. Though, during my trips those were mock battles with fake weapons, those mattered as much as if they were truly at each other’s necks. Many things were different then, and I doubt those dracony are still in power. A quick mind and vast wisdom are needed when dealing with the Neighponese.” She hummed as the Cinia ponies came to mind.

“That means I need to consider very deeply who will be the guards, if they respect power and prowess with a sword that is.” Twilight said to herself.

“The Dracony of Cinia are a rather stagnant group even if they are a large country, they seem content with the way things are and don’t goad the sleeping beast that is war. In fact, long ago they erected a massive wall to buffer invasions by the yaks, they did not want to fight them but rather force their rampage elsewhere. They are a very diverse culture and thankfully the majority of them are seekers of serenity and control. If they are at war however, I fear the dragon in them has come out or the other groups have risen to enough power to push their agendas. If that is the case, you’ll want someone versed well in history and philosophy, some of the greatest minds to self enlightenment have come from their land. They are the ones you’ll want to seek if all goes to the wind.” Twilight had a bulb pop over her head.

“A.K. Yearling! Otherwise known as Daring Do! If anyone knows their history over sacred artifacts and myths she’s the best pony for the job, not to mention she does fight to protect them from getting into the wrong hooves too. She could help me with adjust with their culture, and if magical artifacts are being used in battle I’m sure she’d be happy to take it off the board. But asking her to do that… how to find her is the harder part.” Sparkle mulled over the seemingly lost asset.

Celestia giggled, “Actually I have her on immediate call if the need should arise, she can be here within a week if she’s out on a quest that is. She’s helped the crown keep powerful items out of those like the blue one who dwells in the southern forests.”

Twilight’s wings popped open, “That’s great to hear, so if we’re going to Neighpon and Cinia who seem to share much in common, I’ll have to ask for the Night Guard hoof picked by Steel and Stellar if that can be done? I’d chose the Solar Guard, but from what I’ve been told from the commanders themselves they’ve had no real combat experience. Not that I mean any offense by it that is?” she meekly grinned at the fact after recalling the battles the thestral commanders told her of and the scars they had as proof.

Gently shaking her head, “I’m not surprised really, the Changeling Invasion was as far as battle they’ve come close to. Beyond driving away Timberwolves or a manticore. At which I’m both glad at the inexperience while at the same time troubled by it. Regardless, I’ll have Luna send the request to them since you’ll need to pack for the trip. By the way, anypony else you wanted with you?”

Again, Sparkle looked to the ground deep in thought, who would she need to go on a mission out of Equestrian law and into foreign rule? Someone who could handle potential misunderstandings and any offenses they might accidentally commit against the royalty there.

“What about one of the magistrates? Somepony familiar with the legal system and help us navigate it or even forge a treaty of some kind? Surely a law pony would be a great addition? Who knows how hostile some groups might be towards us if we step over their comfort zone?” she guessed well enough to earn a nuzzle from her mentor.

“I was hoping you’d catch that, lest I send one of them with you at the last second. As I said about them before, they are very independent and wish to be that way, so your presence might seem like Equestria is trying to goad them into joining through subversion. I wish to not have our image tainted like that, we are far from anything of that nature. I respect them to not have ever asked for a merger of our countries, but war steps over the lines.” She started to walk back into the palace with her student in tow.

“Thank you Celestia, I knew from Minotaur businesses that if they use the law frequently to uphold order and trade around, then it would be best to have a lawyer as they say. I still dislike that one contractor who tried to take out that huge swath of forest just to build a travel destination and condos. He nearly started a war with the Deer King and yet he still kept the project going until we rallied against him.” She huffed in aggravation.

“I remember that friendship report you sent me about it, as sad as it was to know that Hydra swallowed him whole. He really was inflicted with the dragon sickness with the bits, and he could have chosen to build what was truly needed around the cities rather than destroy for profit.” She swayed her head at the misguided bull.

“By the way Celestia, I’ll be taking Spike with me. I feel he might be useful with understanding them and my number one assistant would be perfect to send you updates of what happens. Though I was wondering how we’d get there? By boat or airship?” the guards opened the doors for the two mares and walked in with them.

“Ahhhh good that you caught that one as well, they have customs among nonviolent dragons such as Spike, they consider them visiting as good luck and perhaps one of the few they ever let onto Neighpon. Cinia however, they’re like any normal pony so don’t expect for his charm to work on them. As for your method of travel, you’ll be going by the airship I use to take myself ages ago. Its armored and armed for the things that swim in the abyss, rest assured my little pony you don’t want to go the way of the ships unless your knowledgeable of where to go. We’ve been losing many Arcana vessels that go abroad to collect magical items and supplies.” The solar goddess turned into a dead end with a large intricately carved floor showing off a diagram of some kind. Strangely enough it is when they return that they mysterious lose one in five.”

“Won’t they see the ship as hostile? They know already that I’ll be arriving right?” she asked a little worried.

“Correct, they are expecting you, but the ship will also show a little strength of Equestria since they value might and confidence. Your weapons will not be loaded for bear, but the guards will just in case they take the approach a little too serious. Honestly though, the armaments are really obsolete with today’s magical studies far beyond the age of this ship. The escort Unicorn Guards will be enough to keep beasts away while you cross the ocean. Now hold on Twilight, where the ship is located requires a special teleportation spell can only permit access to.” She closed her eyes and began to summon magic to her long horn to which Sparkle barely had a moment to prepare herself for.

In a flash, the two vanished, reappearing somewhere below Canterlot yet not quite the Crystal caverns. There were unicorn guards in gray armor plating waiting for them, saluting as one while the two passed by with Celestia giving them a nod to ease up. Twilight tried to recover from the bout of vertigo from Celestia’s transportation in order to study where they were. The long passage from the enchanted magical pad had been carved by unicorn power through hard stone. Torches lighting the way to what Sparkle assumed would be the storage area for the barge.

Steadying her eyes, It became apparent the flickering flames in the distance moved rather than stay stationary, meaning the hanger had a stationed staff there in case this moment ever arose. Two rather thin looking ponies took the lead when the two princesses arrived in a end and into the vast dimly lit abyss. Like a smooth glass dome of a greenhouse, the interior was meant to house something large as the anchored candles that reached far up to the top nearly disappeared barely giving the object they surrounded any semblance of what it was.

“Lieutenant Bronze Shield, please activate the primary lights if you will?” Celestia looked to one of the guards before them.

“Understood Princess.” The husky voice answered and his horn attained an yellow glow.

The spell the stallion casted snaked out and waved like the legs of a spider in the air, growing slowly as it worked towards the walls to their peripherals. In a flash, the magic connected to the conduits and ley wires which activated the mana lights all throughout the chamber spiraling upwards in a wonderous show of ice blue fire. The illumination finally gave sight to the behemoth that was Celestia’s private airship. Twilight’s hungry eyes traced the blue whale sized hull which towards the back sprouted two protrusions in its sleek form to give it a cross design. Primarily constructed out of a dense yet light wood, the belly side of the ship sported bolted on metal plates form fitting without error. Sparkle surmised the armor was for ground attack that would spear most air boats with spells or arrows, likely enchanted for additional protection. Though those were not the only metal components, creating a horizontal fence line just below the guard rails were what appeared to be lightning rods. A useful addition across the chaos of the seas where the weather did not conform to pegasus magic, and likely they would have no such help either way.

The ship could easily fit her retinue onboard without issues and more, but likely the supplies they needed as well as mechanics knowing the dangers traversing alone. Sliding wood windows dotted the port and starboard, likely the cannons that had never been used since they were forged by ponies of old. She made a note to investigate them and see their design compared to the recent armaments of Equestria. Though there were additional repeater crossbow emplacements anchored into the deck of the prow, the bow, and the two protrusions near the back. Perfect for anti air defenses and to keep flying predators at bay, though like the cannons she guess they were outdated designs by a quick look over. Arrows were stored in wood boxes which essentially allowed one arrow into the chamber with a crank to work the pull of the bow, easy for an earth pony to work. She marveled at the swiveling mechanism which had been swapped out years ago for the present day use of a gyro crystal apparatus. Those leveled the gun when not in use versus the rust prone components of the one before them. There were likely more features hidden in the vessel, to which she had the whole trip to explore.

Of course, the main feature was the lightweight metal blimp portion chained to the ship in various methods with fail safes in case enemies or foes wanted to cut the barge away. Since the whole top portion of the deck was flat, the concealed gas bag leveled out easily. Unlike a traditional frigate or galleon, all the important areas from steering to quarters were below deck which in hindsight would confuse borders during an assault. The cutie mark of Celestia had been painted onto the sides of the zeppelin large enough for even a crow’s nest operator to catch sight of miles away.

“Wow!! I can’t believe you own this… Its… its… “ Sparkle stuttered as she slowly trotted to the ship.

The prime condition of polished wood planks and metal braces, “An ode to my past when Luna was… banished, when she was gone Equestria appeared weak and thus I had to give annual visits. As hard as I tried, appearing peaceful and kind was never welcomed by the more… militaristic and developed nations. It seems they needed new arrivals to assert themselves to get respect and I was not about to make my power over the sun be that either. So Equestria was known for its military might, and thankfully not their goddess. It always ended aggressive first encounters before they started.” She joined Twilight taking a deep gaze at the magically entombed construct, a spell that slowed aging and decay through time giving it the same appearance as she last left it so many years ago

That admission made everything come together, even then Celestia still refused to give into the world’s disharmony. She desired no one to fear her, but to welcome her as another friendly face. A bit of an underhanded trick to play their games, but it served the purpose of getting other cultures to permit her into their lands. How strange the old world was not a thousand years ago.

“Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship, this ship will take you and your retinue safely to your destination as she has done for me. Her name is Hera, may she serve you well.” The princess announced formally.

The lavender mare took it all rather well on the surface, but deep down she had so much swirling about that it was a wonder she could ghost her response at all. Putting everything into taking the transportation modestly, she soon took a seat on the floor with her plot on the cold stone ground a stared at the weaponized air boat. Thinking over all she needed to do before the trip and while on it, how the interact with the dracony, and what to do about Cinia and their relations. What if she failed and caused the war to include Equestria? Was it another test by the Princess? All of this one huge quiz to see if she was ready for the big time as part of a backup plan should some evil force like Discord or King Sombra arise from the beyond and take the two sisters away leaving her and Cadence to handle ruling over the land? How could she even move the Sun and the Moon? Was there more to her alicorn status than she guess?

Considering she just escaped the last meltdown and broke into her mentors study to find that book to talk to Sunset, this was now a full on relapse. Though to others, it seemed like she was quietly admiring the warship lost in thought of the hidden vehicle and the wonders of its construction. Celestia left her former student alone with the unicorn guards, the Solar Court couldn’t be left alone for too long. The break she took had eaten up enough time that she’d have to suffer the nobles and their foolish demands.