• Published 25th Jan 2017
  • 3,742 Views, 547 Comments

The Mysteries of Love - MysteriousStranger



Trixie has had feelings for a certain generous girl for some time, and she's tired of them. Will she be able to throw her pride away and talk to her crush?

  • ...
12
 547
 3,742

Ambush!

Trixie's P.O.V.

"That's a lot of pressure, Trixie. Are you sure you'll be able to do it?"

It was nighttime. I returned home after meeting with my teammates. This day has been exhausting. I took a shower as soon as I got home and put on my pajamas since I didn't have any other plans. My team, the Phoenix Wings, told me everything I needed to know.

There was an ongoing tournament, so time couldn't be wasted. If we win this Saturday, we'll be in quarters. Losing was not an option. The captain scheduled a last minute practice tomorrow after school so I could get acquainted with the team. I called Rarity before sleeping to tell her everything. "I work well under pressure, Rarity. I'll be fine. The captain is actually a nice person, but the stress isn't kind to her."

"I'm still bitter about her. She didn't leave me with a good first impression."

"I have the feeling she accepts nothing below perfection. I really think you two would get along well." I joked, which seemed to work since Rarity laughed softly.

"Very funny. I saw how good you were at this sport today, so I'm confident that she'll be pleased with you."

"I hope so. I haven't seen the other girls in action yet. I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I have never played in a team before. Only with my brother at the beach. One on one."

"Is that even possible? I thought Volleyball needed teams of at least two people per side."

"Yeah, that's true, but we only had each other..." I instantly fell silent. I might have said too much. What if she asks about my parents now? I didn't mention them at all during the time we have been hanging out. She was surely going to ask me one of these days. She didn't see them when she visited my apartment. I wasn't ready for this... I really can't deal with that right now.

"Trixie? Trixie, are you there?"

"Uh, wh-what?" How long have I been lost in my thoughts? "Did you say something?"

"I was just asking you if you have asked if people can watch the practice?"

"Oh!" I calmed down. Thank goodness! "I suppose it's allowed. Come with me tomorrow and I'll ask. The Amazing Trixie would love to have you there to cheer for her."

Rarity laughed. "It had been a while since you did that. I can't believe I missed that."

"I happen to be in a great mood. I don't think I'll be able to stop smiling any time soon. I was so excited to tell my brother the good news, that he could barely understand what I said."

"Wow, you really love volleyball, don't you?"

"As much as you love the spa."

"That's a lot of love, darling. Good for you, you deserve it."

"Thank you, Rarity." I managed to say before yawning loudly. I was too exhausted.

"Feeling sleepy, Trixie?"

"It was a long and rewarding day. I'm having a hard time staying awake, but I just had to tell you how the meeting went."

"I imagined you would want to. I was awaiting your call before sleeping myself."

"That's sweet. Good night, Rarity."

"Good night, Trixie. I'll see you tomorrow at school."

I hang up and stared at my phone's wallpaper. It was a photo of Rarity and me. It was taken two days ago. Rarity asked for a selfie and I didn't oppose. It gave me an excuse to see my crush any time I wanted. "Sweet dreams, my gorgeous Rarity." I whispered to myself before putting the phone on my nightstand and turning around to sleep. Once again, the girl who stole my heart visited me in my dreams, and I had a pleasant rest.


The next day...

"Over there, before those idiots steal our seats!" Fuchsia Blush said, before she and Lavender Lace ran towards the empty table and sat before a couple of students reached it.

"Move along, losers! We own this table." Lavender Lace said with her usual treating tone. The students walked away, clearly angry.

"Thank you. They are not worthy of sitting on this table." I said as I sat.

"Of course not! All of these students here, they are nothing!" Fuchsia Blush said and started to point random students." The guy over there, loser. That girl over there, loser. The group over there..." She pointed at Rarity and her friends this time. My smirk faded. They were having a lighthearted conversation. They were all laughing and smiling. "Mega losers." Fuchsia Blush finished her phrase, but she kept staring at them. Paying a closer attention to them, I could see that someone was missing. I think her name is Applejack, but I didn't really care that she skipped school.

"Yeah, look at them. Look how happy they are. They make me sick." Lavender Lace said with disgust. "We have to erase those smiles from their faces. Make them realize we mean business. We don't tolerate a defeat. That fancy girl thinks she's special. We'll show her otherwise."

"Haven't you stolen Rarity's purse? Why don't we pick on someone else this time? I'm sure she's still crying on the inside for losing that purse." I said before giving my burger one bite. I hope I could make them desist from attacking Rarity again. "Like Sunset Shimmer. It would be fun to mess with her."

"The purse, yeah..." Lavender Lace had a malicious smile on her face. "I had so much fun stealing her purse. I regret not seeing her face when I showed her the photo, but I think it wasn't enough. She can buy another one, but there's something money can't buy."

"What do you mean?" I asked. Both Lavender Lace and Fuchsia Blush smiled maliciously. I didn't like where was this going.

"Dignity." Fuchsia said, like if she knew what was Lavender planning.

"What are you talking about?"

"You'll see, Trixie." Lavender said before starting to eat her lunch. I returned to mine as well, but my mind was working of what my... friends were planning to do. Dignity. What were they intending to do? I had to warn Rarity, but I couldn't use my cell phone without raising suspicion from Fuchsia and Lavender.

When lunch was almost over, Rarity stood up and walked towards the exit of the cafeteria.

"Look, she's leaving! Let's do this." Fuchsia Blush said before she and Lavender Lace stood up and headed towards the same exit Rarity used. Oh, no. What am I going to do? Maybe Rarity's friends saw that she was followed? I glanced over to them. None of them noticed. It was up to me to do something. I stood up and walked with a fast pace towards the same exit to not look suspicious. Once I was in the
corridors, I scanned the perimeter. I moved my eyes from side to side, but I didn't see anyone. But I could hear footsteps. I followed the sound around a corner and I found Rarity. But it was too late. My friends reached her.

"Hey, you!" Rarity quickly looked back when Lavender called her, only to be grabbed by her.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Rarity tried to fight, but she was unable to move her arms.

"Shut up!" Fuchsia slowly walked towards her target. I kept watching from the corner. What was I supposed to do?! How could I stop this?! "You see yourself as a beautiful being. As a rare gem. I have news for you, you're not! You're nothing but a joke! Today, everyone will see how pathetic you really are!" I closed my fists. My blood was boiling. I will never forgive them, I won't! What happened next made me want to drop all the teeth of Fuchsia Blush and Lavender Lace. Fuchsia ducked and, with a single pull, she ripped off Rarity's skirt. Rarity gasped and covered her underwear as soon as Lavender released her. The Illusions laughed and ran away. Rarity ran towards the nearest girls' bathroom. Now that I was all by myself, I took the opportunity to head towards the bathroom Rarity went.

"Rarity!" I called her as soon as I closed the door. Sobs were echoing across the room.

"Trixie...?" I reached her stall by following her voice, but I remained on the other side. "What... what...?" Rarity was too upset to speak.

"Rarity... I'm sorry... I couldn't stop them... I didn't get in time... I heard them planning something, but they were vague with the details."

"You knew? You knew they were planning something and you didn't tell me?! Trixie, I thought you were my friend!"

"I swear they only mentioned it while we were having lunch. They came after you as soon as you left the cafeteria. There was no time to send you a text before they got to you... You gotta believe me, I didn't want this..." My voice broke with the last sentence. I fell on my knees. "I'm sorry I failed you, Rarity. I wanted this friendship to work so bad... but everything is ruined now... Those girls... I'll never forgive them for what they did to you. Please, forgive me..." Begging was not in my nature, but these were desperate times. I felt like crying. I could feel the tears about to burst from my eyes.

"Trixie..." Rarity’s voice was more calm. I payed close attention to what my crush was about to say. "If you mean those words..."

"I-I do!" I took a hand to my chest, where my heart was, even though she couldn't see me.

"Please, let me finish... If you are being sincere with me, then... I can forgive you. As long as you promise me it wasn't your idea."

"I promise. I don't want to hurt you anymore, Rarity. You have to believe me. I tried to get their attention to someone else, but they didn't listen to me."

"I believe you." her voice sounded cheerful. That got a smile on my face. I stood up before speaking again.

"Lunch is almost over, and there's no way I'll leave you like this. Wait here, I'll be back."

"Please, hurry!"

I ran as fast as I could towards my locker. I glanced at a clock on my way there. Lunch would be over in five minutes. I could already see some students walking towards their classrooms.

"Hey, watch it!"

I had to dodge some students. I didn't have the luxury to slow down. Once in my locker, I had a hard time opening it. desperation made me forget my own combination. It took me many attempts until I remembered it. I took my sports bag searched in it until I found what I was looking for. I ran back to the bathroom Rarity was in after closing my locker. I only had two minutes left, and most students have left the cafeteria. We were very lucky that no one decided to use the bathroom she was in.

"I'm back! Here, put these in." I passed my clothes from under her stall's door. I could hear her while she put on the piece of clothing I lend her. She opened the door moments later and she walked out. I could barely keep my jaw from dropping, but I couldn't contain my blush. Luckily, Rarity wasn't looking at me. She was looking down at herself. My yoga shorts fit her... they fit her well. I really hope she couldn't hear my heartbeat. It was racing! My crush approached to the mirror and looked at herself.

"It's not so bad. My blouse and boots don't combine with the overall outfit, but I can't be picky now. I'll change once I get home."

"So, you'll be going straight home after school, huh?" Of course, I was upset. But I understood her. She must be screaming on the inside.

"Are you kidding? I'll see you practice first. I won't miss it for anything." She was smiling again. Her eyes were still slightly red for all the crying, but she could smile. I squealed on the inside. She was putting me over fashion!

"Really? Are you sure?"

She nodded. "Absolutely, darling. Now, let's go to class.”

"After you." Rarity walked out the bathroom. Once I was alone, I washed my face. I felt like if I was on fire! "Breathe, Trixie, breathe! Don't pass out. Everything is going well, just... try looking at her eyes. I know she looks... sexy, but you can't be too obvious. Control yourself!" I walked out after giving myself a speech, someone put a hand on my shoulder. Turned around and was ready to yell at whoever dared to touch me without my permission, but gasped instead. "Vice-Principal Luna..."

The vice-principal looked at me with a stern expression. "You and I are having a word after school."

I swallowed my saliva before speaking. "Wh-Why?"

"You know perfectly well there’s no running in the corridors."


"Where were you?" Rarity was concerned once I finally met her outside after school. I could barely reach her before she left.

"I'm sorry. The Vice-Principal asked me to come to her office after she caught me running on the corridors during lunch. She let me go with a warning this time."

"I suppose running on the corridors isn't worth detention unless you are caught running often."

"Yeah, I was lucky." I smiled at her.

She giggled before she and I started to walk towards the stadium. "Come on. You don't want to arrive late on your first practice."

"You're right." We were silent on the way to the stadium. I think it was because of what happened in lunch, or because she felt uncomfortable with the clothes she was wearing. Or both. We were even silent after we reached the stadium.

"I'll be on the terrace."

I nodded at her and followed her with my eyes until she sat. There was no need to ask if visitors were allowed since I could see many people here to watch the practice. I walked towards the captain as soon as Rarity sat.

"Captain Hazelnut, sorry for the delay.”

Hazelnut looked at me and smiled. "Don't worry, Lulamoon, you're not too late. "Go to the dressing room. We'll start as soon as you're ready."

"Yes, captain." I walked to the dressing room to get changed. I can't believe this was finally happening. My first official day in a volleyball team! Rarity has done so much for me, and I have done so little. Sure, I bought her an expensive purse and I helped her with biology, but I'm asking too much out of her. I could tell how much Rarity wanted to tell her friends about the new me, but I'm just... not ready. I still disliked Sunset Shimmer and I had no clue of how to talk to the rest. Actually, I knew how, but my inner bully was still too strong. And now, we had the problem with my own... friends. The Illusions did something unforgivable today. I would never have gone so far back in the days. Leaving a girl's underwear out of the open? That's sick! They could do worse. I know they won't stop, but what could I do to stop them? I couldn't let that worry me now. I had to focus on the practice. I returned to the court after changing and tied my hair into a ponytail. The official Phoenix Wings uniform consisted on shirt with yellow and orange stripes and black spandex shorts. I liked it.

"Alright, girls! We're all here, so, let's start with the practice! Let's take it easy! I know the game is the day after tomorrow, but you won't be of any good with broken bones!"

The practice went smoothly. The captain wasn't bad at keeping our morality up. My teammates were good. Very good. They knew when to strike and when it was better to let the ball pass. They never stole a ball. They knew when it was their chance and when to leave it to another girl. I really enjoyed my first time playing as a team, a real team. I could get used to this feeling.

I glanced at Rarity from time to time. It was easy to find her. She was the only one who stood to cheer whenever I did a good move. She was always looking. I never caught her using her phone. That helped me to give my best. The hour flew and, before I knew it, I was sitting on the court in a ring as the captain spoke in the middle.

"Good, very good, everyone. If you play this Saturday like we played today, we'll win for sure! Our rival should fear us. We'll definitely go to quarters! I have faith in all of you. We have nothing to worry. Clear your minds, Make sure to sleep well before the game, because we have game to win on Saturday morning! You're free to go." We all stood up and walked to the changing room.

My teammates talked with each other, but I wasn't ready to talk yet. Luckily, they ignored me. We took a quick shower, changed and walked out the dressing room. Rarity was waiting for me by the door, so I moved with a fast pace.

"Darling, that was amazing! You work very well in team." Rarity said once we were out.

"I do? It was my first time, and I feared I wouldn't be able to play properly."

"But you did, Trixie. It's like you were born for this. Your service is perfect. You never sent the ball out, and you aced in more than one opportunity."

"I don't know why I'm so good at service. But I won't complain." We laughed and Rarity checked the time on her phone.

"I need to go back home and get changed, and fast. I'm a disaster!"

"Don't say that. You look fine."

"Trixie, look at me. What kind of sane person uses these boots with these shorts? Everyone is looking at me, judging me."

"No one is looking at you, besides, it's not your fault. It's mine..."

"Trixie, stop blaming yourself..."

"I can't. I panicked and couldn't think of something to help you...."

"You simply didn't have time. I'm not blaming you, Trixie. You couldn't stop them from stealing my skirt, but you helped me by lending me your shorts. Wait... they were clean before I put them on, right?"

"Of course! I didn't use them all day. They were fresh from the washing machine."

"I'm glad." she smiled at me before hugging me. "Thanks again, darling."

"Y-You're welcome." I returned her the hug while I blushed. I closed my eyes to enjoy the embrace and her scent, but the a voice made me open them wide open.

"Sis...?"

Both Rarity and I looked at the source of the sound. My heart stopped. In front of us stood Rarity's little sister. And she was not alone. Her friends accompanied her.

"Sweetie Belle..." Rarity was as shocked as I was. The girl with dark pink hair spoke next.

"What are you doing with... her...?" She asked in an unfriendly tone. I didn't know her name, nor of Applejack's sister.

"Well, you see... I..." Rarity chuckled nervously. I took the palm of one of my hands to my forehead. Not again. How come I kept running into people Rarity know in this big city?!

Author's Note:

Oops! This friendship sure is hard to keep a secret! :rainbowderp:

Will Trixie and Rarity be able to stop these encounters? :pinkiegasp:

This chapter was revised by zalla661 :pinkiesmile: