• Published 25th Jan 2017
  • 3,741 Views, 547 Comments

The Mysteries of Love - MysteriousStranger



Trixie has had feelings for a certain generous girl for some time, and she's tired of them. Will she be able to throw her pride away and talk to her crush?

  • ...
12
 547
 3,741

When Dreams and Nightmares Become a Reality

Trixie's P.O.V.

When I saw Rarity on the other side of the door, I couldn't control myself. I pulled her into a hug. All my anger faded, at least for now. I didn't care about what she did. All that mattered was that she was here, supporting me when I needed her the most.

"I'm here for you, Trixie. Whatever you need..." I replied by tightening the hug. Maybe I was hugging her too tight, but Rarity didn't say anything. In fact, she hugged me back. None of us said anything for a while. I needed this embrace. Her touch, the scent of her hair... it helped me to relax. Gosh, I missed this. I only wish we met again under better circumstances. I can't afford losing myself while my brother's life was in danger. "Y-Your brother..." Rarity broke the silent after several moments. "What happened to him...?"

I broke the hug and took Rarity's hand. "Come in." My crush followed me inside the room. I closed the door, released Rarity's hand and walked towards the window. It wasn't pretty, but I had to say it out loud.

"Clementine... he had a car accident last night..." It was terrible. I woke up in the middle of the night when my phone rang. Rosemary told me what happened. I put my dress and the first footwear I found. I didn't care how cold the night was, I didn't put on my cotton jacket. "He was talking with Rosemary on the phone through the speaker when it happened. She called me."

"Oh, my..." I glanced at Rarity. She covered her mouth with both of her hands. "Last night...? I'm so sorry, Trixie."

"It wasn't your fault. Some idiot crossed a red light and crashed into Clementine's car from the front. My brother is lucky to be alive. I hope that idiot died, because if I see him, I'm...!" My blood was boiling. I wanted to break something, but I managed to control myself and hit the wall with my fist instead.

"Trixie..." Rarity placed her hands on my fist. She slowly put my fist down. I was still panting, though. "Look at me..." Rarity said as she held my head and turned it to make me look at her. She was worried. Worried about me and my brother. After ignoring her for a month, she still cared about me. She still saw me as a friend. By meeting her beautiful blue eyes, I was able to breathe at a normal rate. "This is the best hospital in town. He's under the care of professionals. Here, they value life more than money." Rarity looked at the beds, which were empty. "Is he in surgery? How serious is it?"

I nodded. "He broke his legs and an arm. He also has a few broken ribs. He was taken around half an hour ago. Rosemary is with him. He has been in and out of surgery since last night. Rose said she would give a nurse your number to call you and asked me to wait for you here. I was skeptical with the idea, but when I saw you..." Rarity was the one to hug me this time. I didn't hesitate to hug her back. "You are just who I needed to see."

"I'll help you to go through this. I promise, I'll be by your side as long as I can."

"Thank you, Rarity... thank you..." I rested my head on Rarity's shoulder and closed my eyes. The situation was scaring me. My guts felt weird, like if they were sinking. Clementine's life wasn't at stake, but it could have been worse. Losing him would mean losing myself forever. I cherish life because of him. He helped me to find my reason to live. He always supported me, even when I tried to push him away. He showed determination and won my affection. My trust. I learnt to be happy again after mom and dad's demise. I could truly smile around him. For a while, he was the only one who knew my true self. Until I developed feelings for Rarity.

I opened my eyes and moved my head to gaze into Rarity's eyes. She smiled sympathetically at me. My jaw dropped in awe by her beauty. Our faces were so close to each other. Our noses were inches from touching. I have never been so close to her. Her embrace diverted my fear. Her words... I believed her. My brother is in good hands. He'll pull through. I just know it. He's strong. "Feeling better...?"

I closed my mouth and nodded. I wonder, after all this time... was it possible that she still had feelings for me? Sweetie Belle told me that her feelings were 100% real, but that was the day after I found out about the truth. I was afraid to ask, but I needed to know the answer. My lips quivered. Asking this question almost proved to be as hard as confessing. However, I knew that it wasn't the right moment. It won't be as long as my brother is in surgery. But Rarity must have noticed my strange behavior. Her expression clearly showed that she was starting to get worried.

Thankfully, I was saved when the door opened and someone walked in. Both Rarity and I directed out heads to see who was it. It was Rosemary.

"He's out... the doctors managed to save his limbs!"

"Really?" I ran towards my sister in-law to hug her. "Those are fantastic news!"

"I know...!" I looked at Rosemary as I released her. Her eyes were wet, full of tears of joy. "I feel so relieved."

"Imagine how I’m feeling." I said as I walked towards the bed Clementine was using and sat. "My brother... he will make a full recovery after all..."

"It won't be easy, but he won't be alone. I'm glad to see that you made it, Rarity." I glared at the girls. Rosemary was clearing her tears and Rarity had a hand on her chest, surely relieved as well.

"Of course. I just had to come here when I heard something wasn't right. When will they bring Clementine?"

"In a few minutes. He's under the effect of the anesthesia, so he won't wake up for a while." My sister in-law said as she walked towards me. She must have noticed I was troubled. "Clem will be fine, Trixie. What's bothering you?"

"I still don't understand. Why was he driving during a stormy night? He didn't tell me what was he going to do. Did he say anything to you?" I glared at Rosemary.

"No. He didn't tell me anything last night. Sorry, I can't help you."

I sighed and turned my gaze to Rarity. She was uneasy, and staring at her phone. "Are you okay?"

"What? Huh, me? Y-Yes, I'm fine! I was just thinking that my friends must be worried. I left during lunch. I sent a text to Sunset but she hasn't replied to me yet." something wasn't right. Her tone was off and she sounded nervous. She was also smiling awkwardly. She put her phone away and hugged herself, avoiding my gaze. What was she hiding from me now?

"Trixie..." I focused my eyes on Rosemary when she called me. "You have been here all night. You barely slept. Look at you! You have sags in your eyes. You can barely keep them open. I'll stay with Clementine. Why don't you go home after he's brought here?"

"No. I don't want to leave him!"

"Shh! Trixie, not so loud. Remember that we're in a hospital."

I stood up and walked towards the window again, hugging myself. "I can't abandon Clementine. I want to stay by his side. I don't want to be home alone. I won't stand the loneliness. I won't be able to sleep knowing that he's here." I almost gasped when I felt a hand on my shoulder all of the sudden, followed by Rarity's voice.

"I'll walk you home. I can stay with you for a while if you want." I turned around to see Rarity. She removed her hand from my shoulder only to intertwine her fingers with mine. She immediately started to stroke the back of my hand with her thumb as she looked at me with concern. This girl is full of mysteries. She lies to me, hides things from me, but she's still worried about me. I was still madly in love with her, even when she drives me crazy. Was this what love is all about?

"Trixie, let her accompany you so you don't feel lonely." My sister in-law said with a warm smile. I gazed upon Rosemary, then back to Rarity. Was I ready to be alone with her again? Now that my brother will start to recover, I wasn't as scared anymore. I could think straight. However, before I could say anything, the door opened and a nurse walked in.

"Excuse me, could you get out a couple of minutes while we set the patient on the bed?"

"Yes, of course." Rosemary replied before Rarity and I followed her out of the room. Outside, sleeping on a stretcher, was my brother. He had an oxygen respirator on. I couldn't see his body since he had a blanket on. Only an arm and his legs were visible, but they were covered by cast. It was still a torture to see him so fragile. I closed my eyes and moved my head away until I felt the door close.

We rested our backs on the corridor walls. Rarity was next to me and Rosemary was on the wall in front of us. After the nurses entered the room with Clementine and his doctor, I rested my head on Rarity's shoulder and closed my eyes. I felt how she put her arms around my waist and how she placed her head against me. The urge to cry was returning, but once again I repressed it. I found peace in Rarity's comfort. By having my eyes closed, I lost track of time. My pain disappeared again. Since my brother was out of danger, I let her aroma to sent me to the clouds. I even smiled without realizing it. When I opened my eyes, I realized Rosemary was watching us, smiling. I didn't care, I kept enjoying the moment, until the door opened again.

"You can go in. The doctor wishes to speak with you."

"Trixie, Rarity, you go in. I'll speak with the doctor."

I nodded and waited until the doctor walked out before going in with Rarity. Clementine was plugged into an electronic monitor. His pulse was close to the normal rate, which relieved me even more. His stand had two bags; one with blood and another one with serum. His oxygen respirator was still there, alongside the machine it was plugged in. I moved towards him and leaned to kiss him on the forehead before returning to Rarity's side. None of us said a word. We just stared at Clementine in complete silence until Rosemary returned.

"The doctor said he will be in observation for a while. Worst case scenario, he will be released in a month."

"A month?" four weeks without my brother at home? "His bones are that bad?"

"Apoarently so..." Rosemary sighed afterwards.

"What am I supposed to do without him? I can't cook, I have never touched a broom and I don't know how the washing machine works!"

"Calm down, darling." Rarity said. "It's not that hard to learn."

"Easy for you to say. You surely have a butler who does all the dirty work for you."

"I don't have a butler."

"Really?"

My crush laughed softly. "No, I don't. Trixie, you have visited me more than once and you didn't see a butler."

"I thought he was in his days off, or somewhere else in the house."

"Just because my family is rich it doesn't mean that we have a butler. It's not a rule."

"Mmm..." I suspiciously glared at Rarity. What was the point of being wealthy if you're not going to have a butler? Especially when you live in a big mansion?

"Don't you give me that look. I'm telling the truth."

"Mmm..." My eyes were still focusing on hers, until Rarity sighed and smiled at me.

"I'll teach you how to do housework when we get to your apartment."

"Speaking of which..." Rosemary spoke. I turned my head to be able to see her. She had her hands placed on each of her hips. "You promised to go home to rest after seeing Clementine again."

"I never made such promise." I said as I crossed my arms and looked away. But my body betrayed me when I yawned.

"Please, Trixie. You need to take a nap. Your eyes need to rest."

"She's right, Trixie. You need a bed." My gaze returned to Rarity. I wanted to reject the idea again, but there was something about her eyes that just made me unable to do so. "Please..." The tone she used to say the last, begging me. Fridge! Why do I have to like her so much?!

"Ugh, fine! I'll go home. Only because I don't want to hear you two beg all day."

"Thank you." My sister in-law sighed happily. "Don't worry, your brother is in good hands. Now, shoo, go away!"

I groaned and Rarity giggled before taking my arm and dragging me to the corridor. I glanced one last time to my brother before being taken away. Rarity didn't let go of my arm until we left the building. The sun rays instantly hit me in the eyes.

"Shoot!" I had to cover my eyes from the sun with my hands.

"It feels good being outside again, huh?"

"Y-Yeah, kinda." I looked at Rarity from the corner of my eyes, only to blush by her sight. Rarity must have noticed, because her smile faded and avoided my gaze.

"I... umm... are you still mad at me...?"

"Rarity..." I couldn't finish my sentence because my crush spoke again.

"Trixie, I'm really, really sorry! I shouldn't bring this up right now."

"No, no. It's okay. My brother will be fine. I'm not so worried about him anymore." I placed my hand on her shoulder when I finished speaking. Rarity gazed at me like a child being scolded for being naughty. "I'm not mad at you anymore. I'm sorry for upsetting you."

"You don't have to apologize. I deserved it. I thought you would be happy that I felt the same way, but you were right. I took too long." Rarity gulped, and hesitated before speaking again. "Trixie... did I destroy our friendship?"

My crush focused her eyes on me and refused to remove them. What do I do? Should I accept her friendship again? Or... should I try for more? I didn't have to think much about it. My heart knew what I wanted. Saying it was something else. My lips quivered again. I took too long to answer and Rarity got the wrong idea. She dropped her head and stared at the opposite direction of me. "You don't like me anymore. I understand..."

That was enough! I won't keep dragging this. I stopped dead on my tracks and took Rarity's arm to stop her. "No, it's not that... I don't want you out of my life." My crush kept giving me her back. "Rarity, look at me when I'm talking."

There was no response whatsoever. I released her arm and stood in front of her. Only then she slowly raised her head to meet my eyes. "I hated not talking to you for the past few weeks. I hated not seeing you except for an occasional glance, and I hated being angry at you. I got over my anger. I should have told you, but I was too stubborn to do so. I need you, Rarity. Now that I know what I have been missing, I don't want to lose it again. P-Please, answer me this... Has anything changed since the last time we spoke? D-Do you still have feelings for me...?"

Rarity remained immobile for some moments. The tension was killing me! Her next answer will permanently change everything between us. My heart rate increased each second she took to answer. I don't know how much time she took before opening her mouth to speak, only close it almost immediately. She took a few more moments before nodding slowly. I noticed that she blushed.

"T-There's no point in denying it. I still like you, Trixie. They only grew the last few weeks. I don't think they're going away anytime soon. Will that be a problem...?"

"Not at all." Rarity's eyes widened. Yes, yes! o
Oh my gosh, yes! After dreaming this day for months, it finally became a reality! Oh, gosh. Oh, gosh! I could scream! But I had to control myself. I struggled, but I managed to speak naturally. "M-My feelings towards you haven't changed either." Rarity gasped and covered her mouth with a hand. Then, her eyes became wet and sobbed. What just happened? "Wait, why are you crying? I just told you I still like you!"

"I know! These are happy tears!"

"Happy tears? Uff!" Rarity took my breath away when she embraced me tightly.

"Darling, I'm delighted to hear that I didn't wreck any possibility of dating you!"

"Lucky for you, Trixie's affection is strong." I said and I put my arms around Rarity's waist.

Rarity giggled and placed her arms around my neck. Her eyes were on mine, and the distance between us was diminutive. I couldn't even describe how happy I was. For months, this was only possible in my imagination. I have waited too long for this moment. I can't afford blowing it up for rushing our relationship. "So... we are a couple now, right?" Rarity was smiling as much as I was. There's no way she could fake it.

"No so fast, Darling." It felt weird using her word, but maybe it was because I wasn't used showing this kind of affection.

"Oh?" Rarity's bliss turned into confusion. "I don't understand."

"First, we need to discuss the terms and conditions." With struggle, I managed to hide my joy in order to be able to be serious.

"Terms and conditions? Do I need to sign a contract before starting a relationship with you?"

"Well, not literally, b-but..." I broke the embrace and cleared my throat. "We'll discuss them when we're in my apartment. I don't feel comfortable doing it out here, with so many ears around us."

Rarity nodded and put her hands on her back as she looked away. "Alright, but... can we at least hold hands...?" Rarity looked at me with puppy eyes. I couldn't believe it, she was so cute! She surely could see how hard I was blushing. She was blushing too. I noticed that her cheeks turned red when she asked me to hold hands. I had to oblige, but I couldn't just give in completely.

"No." I said before raising my hand and closing it, except for my pinky finger. My sober attitude quickly changed into a smirk. "Will this be enough to satisfy you?"

My crush raised an eyebrow. At first, she didn't understand what I meant, but soon enough smiled when she figured it out. She linked her pinky finger with mine and heaved a happy sigh. "Yes... it does. Trixie, you sure are complicated."

"True, but I'm sure that's one of the reasons you like me."

Rarity's blush became even more noticeable. "I-I cannot deny that statement." We resumed to walk. I flavored every second with her. I had to. Depending on her answers, we might or not start dating for real.


I only released Rarity's finger after locking the front door of my apartment. I turned around to speak with her, but I got lost in her eyes. I must have been too evident, because Rarity slid her fingers through her hair, embarrassed.

"Darling, you were never this obvious."

"I don't have to hide it anymore. This is the look I gave you when you weren't looking."

Rarity flushed and looked away. "Oh, Trixie! Stop it! I-I think my legs are shaking! Are they?" She looked down at her feet. "Yes, they are!"

I chuckled and pointed towards the kitchen. We sat on chairs opposed to each other. My eyes were on the girl in front of me, but she was avoiding mine. She had her hands between her legs. She was clearly nervous and so was I, but we needed this talk. I placed my arms on the table to call her attention. It worked. She looked at me. "About the terms and conditions..."

"Yes...?" This was the first time I saw her acting so reserved.

"Rarity, as I said, I'm not angry with you anymore. But your lie raised some questions. Questions that need answers. I want them now.

Rarity gulped. I think I even saw her shaking a bit. "O-Okay... w-what questions?"

"Can I truly trust you? How many secrets are you keeping from me? Believe me, nothing would make me happier than dating you. But I don't want you to hide things from me. This is the moment to be honest. Beware that if you don't tell me everything now and I find out that you lied to me again, I won't be nice to you. You have seen how can I be when I'm angry. You don't want to see me furious."

My crush looked away, staring at the floor. She remained in silence. She took deep breaths to calm down before gazing at me again. "I... I understand. Trixie, from now on, I promise to be honest with you. I have a couple of things to confess." I nodded to let her know that I was listening. "When I first came here to visit you, I... tripped over something and... I accidentally opened the door of your parents' bedroom..." My jaw dropped. She... must have seen their... oh, no... "I'm sorry for not telling you, but our friendship was just starting. I didn't want to ruin it. Your brother told me everything about the accident. I wanted to tell you that I knew, but you were so cheerful when we were hanging out. I didn't want to destroy your mood."

I started to avoid Rarity's eyes. She knew... all this time... tears tried to escape from my eye again, but I held them. Looking back, I think I should have seen it coming. She never asked anything about my parents. She didn't want to upset me. I suppose that's why I wasn't angry for hearing it. "You... had good reasons to hide that from me. Thank you for telling me..." My voice was grim when I spoke.

"A-Are you... mad?"

"That depends."

"Of what...?"

I was finally able to glare at Rarity, severely, this time. "Have you told anyone? Maybe your friend, Sunset Shimmer?"

Rarity got startled when I looked at her. "No, of course I haven't told anyone. Sunset doesn't even know that you have a brother."

"Good, keep it that way." I was exhaling noisily. I didn't like talking about my parents at all. "A-Anything else?"

"Y-Yes..." My crush started to shake visibly. What was causing it? "T-Trixie, I think that it was my fault that your brother had an accident..."

What?! "What are you talking about?"

"Y-You see... he paid me a visit last night. He drove all the way to my home with the storm. We talked."

"What about?" At this point, Rarity was snuffling.

"H-He asked me to try to make amends with you. He told me how happy you were around me. Enough to make you forget your fear on cars. H-He said that he was going t-to try to convince you to t-talk to me. Then he left a-and..." Rarity burst in tears, unable to speak anymore. I was shocked. So that's why Clementine insisted on leaving last night despite my efforts to keep him inside. He wanted to see me smile again. He almost lost his life trying to bring back joy to mine.

I glanced at Rarity. She was still crying uncontrollably. I stood up sharply, provoking my chair to fall on the floor loudly. That was enough to pause Rarity's cry. She followed me with her eyes as I approached to her. I knelt in front of her and placed my hands on her cheeks. She was still sobbing. I was expressionless. Rarity kept staring at me while tears flowed down her cheeks. I cleaned them with my thumbs before hugging her. "P-Please, don't cry..."

"B-But, Trixie..." the poor girl was very confused. She didn't know how to react.

"Shush. It wasn't your fault... if anything, it was mine."

"What are you tal-" I placed a finger on her lips to silence her.

"My stubbornness did this. He went to see you because I wouldn't. If I just called you... he..."

Rarity removed my hand from her lips. "Trixie, listen to me. It wasn't your fault. Sometimes, these things happen. We can't prevent them."

"I should have forced him to stay. I didn't have to let him leave!"

My crush put her arms around my neck and locked me into an embrace. She left her chair. I stood up and placed my arms around her waist. "Stop blaming yourself. Please..." I didn't say anything else. Instead, I let myself calm down. Rarity settled down as well. The embrace was just what we needed. I buried my head into her hair, causing her to giggle softly. I don't know how many minutes passed before we gazed at each other again, still with our arms around each other.

"If you have something else to confess, it will have to wait. I had enough emotions for one day."

Rarity smiled and shook her head. "I have nothing else to tell you right now."

"Good, if that's the case..." I sighed happily with my eyes closed before opening them again. Rarity didn't remove her eyes from me. "I have one last question."

"I'm listening."

I was confident enough to go through this now. I heard what I wanted to hear. I was ready. "Will you be m-my... girlfriend?"

Rarity gasped. She was surprised, but she quickly recovered her smile and nodded excitedly. "Yes, yes I will!"

When she accepted with such excitement, I couldn't help but to grin. The girl of my dreams just became my girlfriend! I rested my head on her shoulder and Rarity did the same. I didn't want to release her.

But the moment got ruined when I yawned loudly. I was relaxed, too relaxed.

"I think it's time for you to take a nap."

"Aww, but I don't wanna!"

"Don't argue. Go to your bed. We'll talk later."

I looked at Rarity. "Promise?"

"Promise. I'll do housework while you rest, excepting the bedrooms. You'll learn how to use the washing machine after your nap." I tried to speak, but instead, I yawned again. "Please, don't make me drag you to your bed."

"I might just do that..." My eyes refused to stay open and I was losing my balance.

"You'll sleep on the floor, darling. I'm warning you."

"You're mean! That's not how you treat your new girlfriend."

Rarity giggled. "I'll tuck you in, if you want."

"And a kiss on my forehead?" I grinned and Rarity exhaled noisily from her nose as she looked away and put her hands on her hips.

"Fine, but only if you go to bed on this instant. That's not negotiable."

"Deal!" I took Rarity's arm and dragged her to the door of my bedroom. "I'll call you when I'm ready." I rushed into my room and got changed as soon as I closed the door. I threw my shoes and dress away and got changed into my pajamas. I never got changed so fast. When I was ready, I jumped into my bed and covered myself with just one blanket. Then, I proceeded to set the alarm on my phone before putting it back on my night table. "Come on in!"

The door opened and Rarity carefully walked in. "I hope you pick those up later." She commented when she saw my clothes on the floor as she moved towards me.

"I will. I don't have the energy now."

Rarity knelt in front of me and covered me with my sheets before looking at me. We smiled at each other. Rarity placed a hand on one of my cheeks. "Darling, you're on fire!"

"I know. It happens when I see you." Rarity turned her face away bashfully. I could clearly see her flush.

"You're a charmer, Trixie." Rarity said before looking at me again. She removed her hand from my cheek and moved it towards my hair, but before reaching it, she hesitated. I could see how she was debating whether to touch it or not. I helped her by leaning my head towards her hand. Rarity gasped softly, but she eventually started to stroke my hair. I closed my eyes, enjoying the feeling.

I could barely believe this wasn't a dream. Finally, my most valued desire became a reality. Rarity stroke my hair for a few seconds before stopping. Moments later, I sensed movement and a shadow covered my face. I slightly opened my eyes to realize that she learned to plant her lips on my forehead. I closed my eyes again and fell asleep with a big smile. I'm yearning for waking up and confirm that this was indeed real!

Author's Note:

I hate cliffhangers as much as all of you, which is why I forced myself to release this chapter as fast as possible! :rainbowdetermined2:

Let me guess your reactions. *Clears my throat* YES! IT WAS ABOUT TIME THEY GOT TOGETHER! YOU MADE US SUFFER, MYSTERIOUS, BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! AAAAAHHHHHHH! Tell me if I'm wrong :scootangel:

 It's a good thing that the injuries Clementine suffered weren't serious, or else Trixie and Rarity wouldn't have started dating yet :pinkiehappy:

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. It's one of the best I have ever written without any doubt! :raritystarry:

I want to thank zalla661 for revising this chapter before its release! :twilightsmile: