• Published 25th Jan 2017
  • 3,739 Views, 547 Comments

The Mysteries of Love - MysteriousStranger



Trixie has had feelings for a certain generous girl for some time, and she's tired of them. Will she be able to throw her pride away and talk to her crush?

  • ...
12
 547
 3,739

Advantages of Friendship

Trixie's P.O.V.

Rarity has been gone for a couple of days, but it feels like an eternity. I was looking forward to Summer to be with Rarity without worrying about school, but here I am, waiting again. At least we could celebrate our first month together. It was the only thing that kept me smiling. That and the text messages and photos Rarity was sending me.

She was silent right now. She told me that she was heading out again with her family and that she might not be able to talk to me for a while. I was bored on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I could hear my brother and Rosemary in the other room, talking, and I didn’t want to bother them. At one point, I heard footsteps closing in. Then, someone knocked on my door.

“Trix! It’s Clementine.”

“Come in.” My brother slowly opened the door before walking in, with the help of his crutch. His broken leg was covered with a cast. He closed the door before speaking. “Listen, baby girl, you can’t be in your room all day. It’s a nice day. Go enjoy it.”

“How am I supposed to enjoy it? My girlfriend is in Europe.”

“Didn’t you have a friend? Call her. Arrange something.”

“Sunset?” I sat on my bed after hearing Clementine’s suggestion. “I-I don’t know. It’s still… weird to be around her.”

“But you don’t hate her anymore. What else are you going to do? Layin your bed for the next two weeks? You can still enjoy Summer.”

I hated not being able to give a counter-argument. Clementine was right. Even though I’m still struggling with Sunset’s… friendship, it was still better than staying in my room all day. Not to mention that it would make Rarity happier. “A-Alright… I’ll… call her.” My brother smiled at me as I took my phone. I glared at him. “Come on, go along! I won’t call her if you stay here, smiling like an idiot.”

“Okay, okay. I’m leaving.” Clementine said as he turned around.

“And don’t eavesdrop on me either!” My brother chuckled as he opened the door and left. Once I was alone, I looked for Sunset on my short contacts list. I stared at her phone number and hesitated. It wasn’t so hard to call Rarity back when I started to be nice to her. But that might be because my heart beats for her. Sunset, on the other hand, caused me to take a little while to get the courage to call her. She answered by the third beep.

“Trixie! What a nice surprise. What’s up?”

“H-Hello, Sunset. Are you busy?”

“No. I actually just got free. Why?”

“W-Well, I have no plans, so I thought… maybe we could… do something?”

“Yes, of course! Do I go to your place or you come to mine?”

“Well, umm...”

“Why don’t you invite her over?!” My brother said from the other side of the door.

“I told you not to spy on me!” I yelled.

“We just want to make sure you don’t have a panic attack.” My brother spoke again.

“We?”

“I’m sorry, Trixie. I tried to stop him but he’s very persuasive.” Rosemary said.

I pressed the palm of my hand on my forehead before yelling at the door again. “Go away! Begone you two!”

“I told you she would get mad.” I overheard Rosemary say before perceiving their footsteps fading out. When I was sure they were no more, I returned to my phone.

“Sunset? You still there?”

“Yes, I am. What was that? You have company?”

“That would be my brother and his girlfriend. They’re fine with you coming over.”

“You have a brother? Cool! I-I mean… I’ll be right there. See you in a sec!” She hanged up after saying the last. I had the feeling that one of us forgot something. Sure enough, I received a text message from her about a minute later, asking for my address. That was it! I replied to her text, giving her my address, floor and apartment number and left my room. Clementine and Rosemary glanced at me when I got in their line of sight. They looked away when I hissed at them and went into the bathroom. They knew I wasn’t really mad.


I decided to wait for Sunset while I watched T.V. with Clementine and Rosemary. My body was shaking, but I remembered how polite Sunset has been acting towards me despite everything that has happened. I need to remind myself that Rarity trusts her. Sunset is a nice person. I have to repeat those words over and over. I don’t know how much time passed when someone rang the bell. I stood up to go to the ground door. “I’ll be right back,” I said before leaving my apartment. The elevator was on my floor so I used it to go down. Once on the bottom, I walked around the corner and opened the entrance. There she was, smiling all the way.

“Hello, Trixie. It has been some time, huh?” Sunset said.

Y-Yeah, it was. I said before stepping aside to let her in.

“I was actually thinking of calling you before you did.”

“Really?” I said as I closed the door with the key.

“Yes. Since Rarity is away, I wanted to know if you wanted to do something. I’m not sure how close you are to your friends.”

“Lavender Lace and Fuchsia Blush? They’re not my friends. Not since they tried to humiliate Rarity months ago.”

“Then, why are you still around them? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“I do mind.” I said as I glared at my… friend. She appeared to get scared.

“I’m sorry… umm… what do you want to do? I’m open for everything.”

I stood still and thought for a few moments before answering. “I have some board games.”

“That sounds fun!” Sunset sounded excited. I smirked slightly at her and I lead her to the elevator. “What kind of board games do you have?”

“I have Chess, Clue, Monopoly, O&O, Game of Life, Scrabble…”

“I would like to play The Game of Life.” Sunset said as we arrived at my floor. I lead her to my apartment after closing the elevator. I was about to open the door of my home, but someone opened before I did. It was my brother.

“Well, hello, there!” He said, with a bright smile.

“Clementine! Were you just waiting by the door for us?”

“Maybe.” He chuckled before moving his eyes towards our visitor. “Hi, you must be Trixie’s friend.”

“My name is Sunset Shimmer. A pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise. I’m Clementine, and the beautiful lady behind me is my girlfriend Rosemary.”

“Flirt all you want. I told you not to wait for your sister.” Rosemary said with a smirk.

“But she could have tried to walk past us without introducing us to her friend!” Clementine said.

“How? It’s not really a big place. I would have had to walk through here anyway, and you could easily block my way.” I spoke as I put my hands on my hips.

“But it wouldn’t have been as fun.” Clementine smirked and I glared at him. “Anyway, what are you girls planning to do?”

“We’re going to play a board game.”

“Can we join in?” My brother asked.

“The more the better. Right?” Sunset said with a smile.

“Yeah… I guess so.”

“Come on, Trix! It will be fun!” My brother took Sunset’s side. “We play other board games after this one. What do you say?”

I looked at everyone individually. They were all in a good mood. And, to be honest, playing with family and a friend was better than being in my bed all day. “Okay, then. I’ll look for the games.” I said before standing up.

“That’s the spirit!” I laughed softly at my brother’s comment as I walked away. This day is starting to get interesting.


“That was really fun!” Sunset commented as she and I left my apartment complex.

“Yeah, I guess it was. It was funny how my brother said he was going to leave us all in bankrupt in Monopoly and then he was the first one to lose."

“Well…” Sunset said after chuckling. “That’s what he gets for buying nothing but hotels without caring how much he spent.”

“He always does that. That’s why we rarely let him play with us.” I was feeling cheerful after the board games session. I also found myself enjoying my time with Sunset. I can’t believe I was locked in my room not long ago. We talked as we walked aimlessly for a while until I finally made a question… “What do we do now?”

“Umm…” Sunset stood still and placed one of her fingers on her chin to think. “I know! We could get a drink at the mall.”

“The mall? Why there?”

“Maybe we can do other things afterwards. Just for convenience. Don’t you like the mall?”

“It’s not that. Rarity mentions that she goes there often with you and her other friends. I don’t want to bump into them.”

“Don’t worry about that-” Sunset smiled warmly as she spoke. “Applejack prefers to stay working at the farm unless she makes plans with us, and Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie are on vacations out of town. I can assure you that you won’t be seeing them today, nor anytime soon.”

"O-Okay, if you say so… Let’s go to the mall, then." I tried to smile weakly at Sunset, who grinned before we started on our way to the mall. I wasn’t sure how to feel about this. I don’t dislike Sunset anymore, but was it a good idea to hang out this much with her all of the sudden?


“…And then, Pinkie invited me to her home. She gathered all of our friends and baked me a cake made of Strawberrys, my favorite. That’s how they managed to brighten my mood after the terrible day I had.” Sunset finished her story just as our milkshakes arrived. I asked her how does she do to ignore everyone glaring at her all the time since I was curious. I started to think why exactly I still hesitated to spend time with her. I realized I was lying to myself. It couldn’t be just because she played with someone’s heart once. I got to believe her. She regrets it. Maybe the real source was envy. She was a worse bully than me, but she somehow managed to surround herself with friends who trust and care about her. Meanwhile, it took me a lot of courage to approach Rarity, and I’m still struggling to meet the rest of her friends. Even though I wasn’t as bad as Sunset, I feel like they won’t be happy to have me around. I-I can’t believe that I’m… j-jealous of Sunset Shimmer.

“So, you act tough, like if you don’t care, but, it still hurts you, huh?”

Sunset put down her strawberry milkshake on the table as she lost her smile. “I’m not proud of what I did. Those who refuse to talk to me have good reasons to do so. As I once told you, when I can’t take it anymore, I go to the roof, where I can be alone and calm down. I was even nasty with my current friends, but they did forgive me. I will never waste the second opportunity they gave me. I won’t return to act like a jerk again. I learned my lesson. It brought me nothing but misery.” Judging by her expression, she didn’t really enjoy remembering how she was. I should change the subject.

“I-I’m… s-sorry for bringing this up…”

“No, it’s alright.” The former bully said, recovering her smile. “I actually enjoy talking to you. We’re not so different after all. If you allow me, I want to say that I’m glad that you’re trying to become a better person. You’re a completely different person, at least when Rarity is around.”

“Well…” I blushed slightly. “I try.”

“I want you to know that you can count on me a 100%.”

“Trixie appreciates it, Sunset,” I said before taking a sip of my chocolate milkshake. “You’re too kind.” My friend remained smiling at me. “I suppose you’re curious about my brother. Am I right?”

“Oh! W-Well… I…” Sunset got nervous all of the sudden. “I didn’t know if it was okay to ask, but yes. I am curious.”

I smirked. “Don’t worry. Trixie wishes to tell you more about him. But only about him and his girlfriend.”

“Alright. Does he have a job…?” I ended up telling Sunset almost everything about my brother, including the recent car accident. Sunset listened with attention and didn’t ask anything outside my brother or his girlfriend. Rarity was right when she told me I could trust her. “I’m really glad he made it. I don’t have to wonder what caused Rarity to leave early from school that day. Although I wish I could have visited him.”

“A lot of things went through my mind when I heard the news. Rarity and I weren’t on good terms back then. But when I saw her in the hospital, I didn’t care about our stupid quarrel anymore. The first thing I did was to hug her.”

“You realize what’s really important at desperate times. Rarity rushing to the hospital, even after a fight, proved that it was worth to keep her in your life.”

“Yeah…” I smiled as I thought on Rarity. I remember how my memory was a mess for my lack of sleep back then. Some parts of it is still blurry, but I will never forget her support. I’m really missing her right now, but Sunset is helping me to enjoy myself until she comes back.

“Rarity has a heart of gold. It’s common for her to think of others before herself in important matters. She sometimes even doesn’t care if her clothes get dirty or her appearance is damaged.”

“I realized that when she didn’t hesitate to hug me after my volleyball matches when I was all sweaty.”

“Volleyball? That’s new information.” Sunset said with a smirk.

“Oh, Trixie didn’t tell you?” My friend shook her head. “Yes, I practice volleyball on Saturdays. I joined the team during a tournament, and…” I got distracted by something behind Sunset. I took a better look and saw someone familiar with light pink hair.

“What’s wrong?” Sunset got worried.

“Isn’t that one of your friends…?” I said as I pointed with my eyes. Sunset behind her. “Oh!” she said before turning back to me. Her cheeks became pink. “Yes, she is. Well, she’s my girlfriend, actually.”

“Oh, Fluttershy, right?” Sunset nodded. “Aren’t you going to say hello?”

“Should I? I mean, I’m already hanging out with you.”

“She’s your girlfriend, Sunset. I thought you would be okay with it.”

“I’m not the kind of person who abandons friends to be with my girlfriend. I can spend time with her another time.”

“Are you sure?” Sunset nodded and smiled. “I… appreciate it, then.” I kept drinking my chocolate milkshake, but I couldn’t avoid watching Fluttershy. She was looking around, like if she was lost. She walked back and forth. Then, she headed towards the exit, before stopping dead in her tracks. She slowly turned around and walked back to where she was again.

“Trixie?”

“She seems to be lost.”

“What?”

“Fluttershy…” Sunset looked behind again. This time, she saw that Fluttershy was acting odd.

“Now that I think about it, it’s strange that she came here all alone. I wonder what's she's doing.”

“Do you want to ask her?”

“Maybe I should.” Sunset and I finished our milkshakes, paid and headed towards where Sunset’s girlfriend was. When the timid girl noticed that we were closing in, she turned her head and saw Sunset first.

“Sunset!” Fluttershy said with a big smile. However, it faded when she saw me. “Oh, h-hello, Trixie.”

“Hey…” I greeted her. She didn’t seem to be as scared to me like the last time we saw each other.

“Hi, Fluttershy. Is everything okay?”

“Hmm?” Fluttershy focused her attention on Sunset again. “Y-Yes, why?”

“Trixie and I noticed that you were acting strangely.”

“Yes,” I joined the conversation. “You were walking back and forth. Then I saw you heading towards the exit and then come back.”

“Oh…” I saw Fluttershy blush lightly of embarrassment before hiding her face with her hair.

“Why are you here?” Sunset asked with a warm smile. It seemed to win Fluttershy over enough to make her talk.

“Rarity asked me to tell Coco Pommel that she won’t be able to assist an event next week.”

“Who is Coco Pommel?” It was the first time I heard that name.

“She’s Rarity’s friend…” Sunset looked at me as she answered. “She has a part-time job here, selling clothes.”

“Really? Why didn’t she tell me? I thought her only friends were the ones she has at Canterlot High.”

“Maybe she forgot.” The former bully said before returning her attention to Fluttershy. Coco Pommel… who is she, and why Rarity never told me about her? Did she really forget, or she’s hiding her from me? If so, why?

“I have to tell her about Rarity, but…” Fluttershy continued the conversation.

“You don’t know where to begin?” The timid girl nodded slowly at Sunset's words. “Well, I can help you with that,” Sunset spoke again before looking at me. “Do you mind if I help Fluttershy with this?”

“I… n-no. Go ahead. In fact, I’ll go with you two. I’m curious about this girl.”

“In that case.” Sunset smiled and turned around. “Follow me.” The equestrian girl lead us towards a clothing shop called ‘Chemise’. While we headed there, Fluttershy took Sunset’s hand and walked closer to her. Witnessing that made my inside twinge. I started to remember the feeling of Rarity’s touch. My hand misses hers.

“She’s talking to a customer. We have to wait until she’s free.” I tried to see this Coco Pommel when Sunset spotted her, but she had her back on us. While we waited, I decided to browse the racks. The clothing is of a fine quality and I liked some outfits, but the prices are way above the amount I’m comfortable spending. Never the less, I kept looking to kill time until I felt someone approaching.

“Hello! May I help you?”

“Coco Pommel, hi!” Sunset greeted the girl who came to me. This is Coco Pommel? She’s beautiful. Not like Rarity, of course, no one is as gorgeous as her, but with that look, she could get anyone she wants.

“Oh, Sunset! Sorry, I didn’t see you there. And Fluttershy! Are you guys together?”

“Yes.” Sunset said as she walked towards Coco Pommel and I. “This is Trixie Lulamoon. Rarity’s girlfriend. Trixie, this is Coco Pommel.”

“Enchanté.” Coco Pommel said with a smile. “I didn’t know Rarity was dating someone. How long have you and her been going out?” The shop attendant kept smiling.

“Uhh… A little over a month…”

“Just a month? Well, it now makes sense that she didn’t tell me. I would love to get to know you better. Oh! I know! There’s a fashion event next week. Rarity is going to assist. You should come too!”

“I’m… umm…” I was starting to get a little overwhelmed. Luckily, Sunset came to my rescue.

“Actually, that’s why we’re here.” Coco Pommel looked at my friend when she spoke. Sunset glanced at Fluttershy and smiled at her. Fluttershy gave two steps forward before speaking.

“R-Rarity is… away. O-On vacations. Sh-She won’t be able to assist the event.”

“Is that so?” Coco Pommel said before smiling. “I see. Thanks for letting me know. I hope she’s having a good time.”

“You can ask her yourself when she comes back,” Sunset said, beaming. “We have to go.”

“Okay. I’ll be seeing you around. Trixie, a pleasure to meet you.”

“You too.” I smiled lightly at Coco Pommel before Sunset and Fluttershy walked out the store, with me following behind.

“The invitation to the fashion event is also open for you if you want!” The shop attendant said to our backs.

“Okay, thanks!” Sunset turned to wave at Coco Pommel. She didn't speak again until we were a fair distance away from 'Chemise' “Well, that’s done.”

“Y-Yeah. Thank you, Sunset.”

“Anytime, Shy.” Fluttershy blushed when my friend said the last. Then, she moved her head around and pointed into a direction.

“Sunset, look!”

“What?”

“They’re letting people try out bow and arrow in that stand. I have always wanted to try it.”

“Oh, really? This is your chance!” Sunset said before looking at me. “You coming, Trixie?” however, before I could answer, my cell phone started to ring.

“I’ll pick this up then I’ll catch you.”

“Alright. Let’s go, Fluttershy.” As the couple walked away from me, I turned around and answered the phone without looking who it was.

“Hello?”

“Well, that’s a simple way to answer the phone for someone you haven’t spoken to in days.”

My heart started to race when I heard that voice. “R-Rarity! I-I’m sorry. I didn’t really check who was calling me. Hi!”

“Excuses, excuses. Darling, how are you?”

“I-I’m fine. Great, actually! I’m happy to hear your voice again. I missed it.”

“I missed your voice too, Trixie-Pixie.”

My entire body heated up. “R-Rarity!”

“Don’t worry. I’m alone right now. My sister is using the shower and my parents are downstairs. My feet are killing me! We walked all day.”

“Really?”

“Yes. There’s so much to see here. So much to do. We took more photos and bought some nice things.”

“Remember not to overdo it, or you might have to buy an extra suitcase.” I heard Rarity giggle on the other side of the line. She’s so adorable!

“We’ll be careful. So… what have you been doing since I left?”

“Trixie has been busy since the first day. She has been going to places, helping her brother and doing some housework!”

“You have been locked in your room the entire time, haven’t you?”

“Pretty much, yeah.” It was amazing how much she knew me.

“Trixie, how is it possible that you don’t function when I’m not around?”

“It’s the first time we have been without seeing each other for so long. I don't know what to do without you.”

“Aww, Trixie… that’s so sweet… I-I mean, you shouldn’t be so dependable of me. Wait… you’re not in your room right now, aren’t you? I hear voices. Several of them.”

“I’m at the mall. I came here with Sunset.”

“Y-You what?!” Rarity said after gasping. I smirked at her reaction.

“Yeah, my brother convinced me to give her a call. We played some board games and then we came to the mall, where we ran into Fluttershy.”

“Oh, yes. I asked her to tell something important to a friend of mine there.”

“Right. So, what’s the deal with you and Coco Pommel?”

“Huh?” Rarity sounded confused. “What do you mean? She’s a friend.”

“I’m curious because you never told me about her. Why were you hiding her?”

“What?! Oh, wait… Trixie… are you jealous?” her voice changed from confusion to happiness.

“Wha- I- No!” I blushed harder. “D-Don’t do that!”

“Do what?” I had the feeling she was smiling.

“Turning this on me. You’re the one who didn’t tell me about this ‘friend’ of yours!”

“You never asked, darling. Plus, I didn’t think you were interested to know since you don’t want to talk to most of my friends.”

“B-But… I would have appreciated knowing of her existence.”

“Trixie, relax. You have nothing to worry. She’s just a friend. Plus, she’s straight.”

“You thought you were straight before dating me.”

“That’s different. I didn’t know about my bisexuality. Trixie, not everyone falls for anyone. Even if she was attracted to me, I’m already dating you. I date only one person at a time. I’m faithful to you.”

“Really…?”

“Of course! I adore you, and only you. You’re the only one who makes my heart race like it’s right now. You’re the only one I like to snuggle with and kiss.” I wasn’t able to say anything. Her words left me speechless. I was melting on the inside. “As I said, you have nothing to worry about. You’re the only person in my life who makes me feel like this.”

“R-Rarity…”

My girlfriend giggled again. “I’ll send you more photos later. I have to go now. My sister is done with the shower and it’s my turn.”

“O-Okay. Take care, G-Gem…”

“You too. Goodbye~!” she hang up shortly after. Her words kept repeating in my head. This girl always found the way to make me smile, to lift my mood, to ease my worries. Whenever I heard her voice, I was hypnotized. For the moment, I didn’t worry about Coco Pommel anymore. I put away my cell phone and walked towards Sunset and Fluttershy.

“Wow, Fluttershy, that was amazing!” Sunset said with astonishment.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I reached them.

“Fluttershy just hit the center of the target with all three of her arrows. It was amazing!”

“Thank you, Sunset. It was fun.” Fluttershy said, smiling.

“If you ever think of taking classes, we’ll be happy to welcome you aboard.” The man in charge of the stand said as he gave Fluttershy a leaflet. However, she backed away a bit. It was Sunset the one to take it and speak.

“Thanks! She’ll think about it.” Fluttershy returned the bow before heading to the fountain in the middle of the mall while Sunset read the leaflet. “Shy, I think you should consider taking these classes. You’re really good!”

“You think so?” Fluttershy’s face showed insecurity. “I-I don’t know…”

“I’m not going to push you into it, but you could at least read this. You can learn everything you need in twelve classes and the fee isn’t expensive. Not to mention that your schedule won’t be affected by it.”

The timid girl took the leaflet. “I promised my mom I would help her with gardening. I'll read it afterwards.”

“You’re leaving now?” Sunset asked and her girlfriend nodded. “Alright. I’m staying with Trixie. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Fluttershy said with a smile before embracing Sunset. “Bye, Sunset, and, thanks again for helping me.”

“Bye, Fluttershy.” The former bully said before releasing Fluttershy from the embrace. “It was my pleasure.”

Fluttershy glanced at me before faintly waving at me. “G-Goodbye, Trixie…”

“I’ll be seeing you around,” I said, smiling lightly. Fluttershy turned around and walked towards the exit. We watched her close the door from the other side before Sunset turned her head towards me.

“There’s an arcade here. Fancy checking it out?”

“Absolutely!” I said with excitement. Sunset chuckled and started to walk while I followed her. Now that I spoke to Rarity, there’s no way I’ll stop smiling.

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking so long again, but here’s a new chapter at last! :raritystarry:

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Also, I’ll wish you a happy new year in advance! :pinkiehappy:

The next chapter will be special. I won’t tell you why, of course! :raritywink:

I want to thank zalla661 for revising this chapter before it’s release :pinkiesmile: