• Published 25th Jan 2017
  • 3,740 Views, 547 Comments

The Mysteries of Love - MysteriousStranger



Trixie has had feelings for a certain generous girl for some time, and she's tired of them. Will she be able to throw her pride away and talk to her crush?

  • ...
12
 547
 3,740

Study Buddies

Trixie's P.O.V.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" I started to jump on my spot as soon as I sent the last text. I can't believe that I just had another conversation with Rarity! She replied more than once! I can't believe it, she wanted to talk to me!

"Calm down, sis!" My brother was laughing. He was next to me the whole time in case I passed out.

"Clementine, I did it! I'm friends with Rarity! After all this time, I finally gained enough courage to talk to her!"

"Trix, I'm happy for you, I really am. I haven't seen you this happy I bought you that Iron Gear Vigor videogame for Christmas, but you need to control your emotions when you're near her or else she will notice."

"I know." I stopped jumping and looked straight to my brother. "I can control my emotions. I think I did well so far. Now that she and I are friends, I'll be able to talk properly. I can do it."

"I know you can." Clementine smiled and put his hands on my shoulders. "I want nothing but your happiness. I'm glad to see that you're finally trying to change your life for the best, and I hope you don't give up. I don't want to be called by Principal Celestia again for your bad behavior. Those... friends of yours get the worst of you."

My vision got blurry. Tears descended from my eyes, but I was quick to clear them with a hand. I remembered all the times I got detention. My brother would avoid my gaze. I hated that feeling, but I couldn't stop being mean. I used to enjoy it. But one day, I went too far and my brother got really mad at me. He stopped talking to me for an entire week. Even then, I failed to change my attitude. It was easier to be the bad girl. But Rarity... she was something. Her eyes, her hair... something about her made me want to try to change... for real this time. But it won't happen overnight. "Clementine... I'm willing to change for her. I'm giving my best shot. Maybe, by spending time with Rarity, I'll slowly stop being a bully. I have my last chance here. I won't risk to lose her."

"Trixie..." My brother got emotional again. I could even see his eyes wet before he hugged me. My arms did not hesitate to return the hug.

"I love you, Clementine. You're the best brother any girl can ask for. You have always been there for me, you have always supported me. Any person would have given up by now. Thank you. Thank you, for staying with me when I came out."

"Who am I to judge? You're my baby sister, I would never abandon you." We looked at each other and smiled before breaking the hug. My computer was calling me, so I set my course to my room.

"What are you going to do?"

I stopped dead on my tracks. "I feel like gaming a little bit, and..."

"No, no, no. Homework first, or else you'll get to it at the last time again."

"Aww, Clem!"


I don't know how, but I did all my homework on Friday. It took me until night, but it was worth it. I had the weekend free. Not only that, today is Sunday. I have to wait and see if Rarity texts me! Until then, gaming time! I was playing my favorite FPS game. My nemesis was logged in. A gamer by the name of 'DaLunAtic'. I always got killed by that player. I have checked her profile. All I knew about her was that she was female and from this very same town. There she was! I smiled maliciously and tried to sneak up to her. Just a little... oh, come on, someone else killed me! I almost threw my headphone set out of rage, but I took my chocolate bar and furiously took a bite. I can't believe it, this time I was so close! That was my last chance. The round ended. I took off my headphones and closed the game. Just before I stood up, I got a friend request.

"Oh, I never got a friend request. Weird, I don't talk much..." I took a closer look to the name. It was from DaLunAtic! "No way!" I accepted the friend request and she immediately sent me a message.

'I always see you. You're cool! I look forward to play more with you! ๐Ÿ˜Š'

I smiled. I can tell just from one sentence that she's cool. I should probably be polite to her. 'Thanks, you too! I'll get you one of these days! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ'

'Ha ha, you wish!'

I was about to write another reply when I got a text message. I checked my phone. It was from Rarity! Oh my gosh! What do I do?! My brother helped me last time, but he wasn't here right now. He went over to his girlfriend's! Okay, breathe, Trixie. You can do this. I opened the message to read it.

'Hey, there! I managed to convince my sister to have a small tea party. Her friends don't like it but I needed to rest at least for a few moments. I guess you can say I'm evil~'

I giggled like a silly girl and stood up from my seat to jump to my bed, belly down. I could feel my cheeks warm and my heart pounding faster. I thought carefully before writing a reply.

'You, evil? I really can't see you being mean to someone on purpose.' I had to wait for a few seconds before I got another text.

'You barely know me, how would you know? ๐Ÿ˜†'

I felt like I said something wrong. I knew she couldn't been mean because I admired her from afar for so long. She's a marvelous girl. Maybe she realized that I have been... watching her. 'Oh, I'm sorry. I said something I shouldn't, didn't I?. It was not my intention to offend you.'

I got another reply in no time. 'Trixie, it's OK. I was just playing with you. You took it the wrong way? I'm sorry ๐Ÿ˜ฎ'

Of course... Silly me... 'No, no, it was my fault. I suck at this.'

'Oh, don't worry. I'll help you. It's easy to make friends once you get the hang of it. Are you doing your homework? I do not wish to be distracting you if you are.'

'No. I did my homework on Friday to have the weekend free.' After I sent this text, silence. I sat on my bed, watching ovet my cell phone from time to time, anxious to receive another message. Nothing. Did she got tired of me already? I knew I offended her. Stupid, stupid, stupid Trixie! I stood up and walked to my door to punch it.

"Ouch, ouch, ouch!" Bad idea. Now my hand hurts! I sucked on my hand to try to ease the pain. I kicked the door out in frustration, but what you know? It was also a bad idea. Now, my foot also hurts! I paced around my room, cursing between my teeth, until I heard the notification sound from my cell phone. I ran towards my bed and jumped on it to check my messages. It was from Rarity!

'I'm sorry, my sister showed up saying that Scootaloo poured invisible tea on her. I had to get them to make up.'

The pain stopped being an issue. My smile reappeared on my face. 'Wow, they really hate that game, don't they?'

'It is too girly for their taste. My sister and I play it. Maybe you could join us one day! ๐Ÿ˜„'

I had to think carefully before answering. After all, I wasn't ready to meet other people. Sending messages to someone I barely know online is one thing, but meeting Rarity's sister? Too soon. 'I'll pass, for now. I might join you in the future.'

'Trixie, I'm sorry. I forgot about what you said...'

My heart skipped a beat after reading this. It felt good to see that she cared. 'Don't worry, I'm not mad ๐Ÿ˜‰'

'Oh, what a relief ๐Ÿ˜… You said earlier that you did all your homework on Friday. Even the biology one? I always have problems with that particular subject. I couldn't finish it.'

'I actually get stuck sometimes, but my brother helps me.'

'Brother? I didn't know you had
One.'

Did I just...? I just gave away personal information without realizing it. I felt that Rarity is worthy of trust, but I should be careful anyway. I can't let my affection towards her blind me. What if this friendship doesn't work out? She can't learn too much about me so soon. 'He's a nice guy. He has a job, a girlfriend, and occasionally plays in a band, but he still makes time for me. I couldn't ask for a better sibling ๐Ÿ˜Š'

'He does sound like a great person. Is he older than you?'

'He is. Anyway, do you have your biology books around? I'll get mine and I'll try to help you.'

'You had to remind me... Yes, I'll get the books... ๐Ÿ˜”'

I giggled again and sighed happily. This was going well. My words were coming naturally. Turns out that all I needed was to fall in love. Easy, right? My biology books were in my bag. I took them and returned to the bed. My phone started to ring just when I sat, caughing me off guard. I threw it into the air and juggled with it until I managed to grab it. I didn't check who it was before answering.

"Hello?"

"Trixie, it's me."

"Rarity!" I suddenly felt on the clouds, all just by hearing her beautiful voice. "I-I didn't know you would call me."

"I believe it will be easier for both of us if I just call you." She giggled after saying that. Oh, Rarity, you're going to kill me! "I'll try to do as much as I can while I look after my sister and her friends."

"Y-Yes, good idea! I should have thought on that." I cleared my throat. S-So... where do we start?"

"Cells, I'm stuck there. It's hard to remember all the names and function of every single thing. I don't even think I will need this information."

"Like it or not, now you'll need to know for the exam."

"Has it been announced, yet? If it is next week, I'll fail for sure!"

"Don't worry, Rarity. It's not next week. It is the week after."

"What?!" I moved my phone away from my ear for a moment since she yelled loudly. "Oh, no. I won't make it either. I need more time!"

"Relax, you have enough time to study."

"You don't understand. I have to re-take two exams that week. I'm not worried about those, but I won't have time to focus on biology! What am I going to do? I'll have to lock myself in my room after school to study, and I won't get far on my own!"

"Maybe... I can help you." There's nothing I wished more than being alone with Rarity, especially close, so, of course, the thought of helping her to study made me grin like an idiot. But I will have to focus. I'll be there to help her, not to invade her personal space.

"You will? I-I mean. If you want, yes, of course! I would love to have someone to lend me a hand. I would normally ask one of my friends, but, if you want to help..."

"Yes, I'll help. Biology is my thing, trust me. Just tell me the day you want to come."

"Oh, in your house? I thought you said that we would stay after school in the library." My heart sank. I just made her uncomfortable, didn't I? Is it too soon to invite her over? I screwed it up! This time for sure!

"I-I'm sorry, if you don't want to come to my place, then..."

"No, no, I would love to!" Wait, what? She, what?! "I was surprised that you asked me over since thought you wouldn't like me to meet your home so soon. It will be fun!"

I laughed and smiled even more. Knowing that Rarity was really looking forward to meet my apartment made me extremely happy. "It will be a pleasure to have you over."

"It's settled then! I'll make room to study with you sometime this week. Thank you so much, Trixie. You're saving my life! If I don't pass this exam, I'll be grounded for the rest of the semester."

"Do you realize that revealing such crucial information to Trixie Lulamoon could cause you problems?" I don't know why I suddenly got the confidence to joke around.

"O-Oh! Are you... will you...?" I started to laugh. I could tell she was terrified. I hope I didn't go too far.

"No, I won't. Trixie will keep her word."

"Oh, thank goodness! You scared me there, Trixie. I mean, don't take it wrong, but I still have to remind myself you're trying to be a better person. If you help me to pass my exam, my doubts will surely stop and I will consider you my friend."

"Oh, so we're not friends yet?" I had to admit, that made my smile fade.

"We're more like... acquaintances, for the moment. Which is way better than considering you a ruffian. You said you wanted to start from zero, remember?"

"R-Right, I did say that." I regained my smile. "Acquaintances, then. I can take that. I will definitely do my best to help you out on your exams. Speaking of which, we should probably start with your homework."

"Aww, but we were having such a nice conversation!"

"About your imminent failure unless a certain amazing someone helps you."

"That was harsh, but true." I smiled when I got the response I wanted. "Let me see... cells... it will be a long day..."


It took us two hours to finish the homework, during which we had breaks whenever Rarity's sister needed her. In the final half hour, Rarity's parents arrived and I had to wait until she went to her room.

"That was exhausting! I'll need a pill to get rid of my headache. Too much information for one day." I could hear Rarity's books hitting the floor when she dropped them after she said the last.

"But you're starting to get the hang of it. There were moments when you didn't need me."

"Trust me, Trixie, by tomorrow, I'll forget most of it."

"Confident, are we?" I joked around and I heard her laugh. Music for my ears. "Do you need help in anything else?"

"No, that was everything. Thank you, Trixie. It was... very kind of you to use your free time to help me. I really appreciate it."

"It was nothing, Rarity. I'm glad I could help, and... I really enjoyed talking to you. It was fun."

"I had fun talking to you too. I had no idea there was such a nice person within you. I look forward to spend more time with you. After school, of course. I shall respect your wishes."

"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Aww, you're hanging up?" Oh, Rarity, I wish I could tell you how much I like you right now. You're not making it easy!

"Yes. It's late and I can't keep my eyes opened anymore. If it was Friday or Saturday, I would stay up. But if I don't go to bed now, I won't be able to wake up on time tomorrow."

"Okay. I'll let you sleep so I can see you tomorrow. Good night, Trixie."

"Good night, Rarity." I did not enjoy hanging up. I felt empty. After spending the past hours talking to her, silence made me feel alone. I turned on my T.V. and put it on a random channel with low volume to help me to sleep. I couldn't understand how I could put up with my loneliness before. I used to have my brother and only him before. But now, I also had Rarity to bright up my day. Just thinking about her made me smile. I plugged in my phone so it would be charged up in the morning. My battery almost died after using it for hours. my pajamas were on my bed. I took them from my drawer while I was talking to Rarity. As soon as I changed, my brother knocked on my door. "It's safe to come in!"

The door opened and my brother's head popped in. "I could hear your voice and I didn't want to bother. You talked for a while."

"Rarity needed help with her homework, so I helped her."

"Really? Wow. It's good to see you could manage on your own. It took you two months just to talk to her for the first time after you developed feelings for her."

"Well..." I could feel my cheeks warm. I just couldn't stop these blushes. "The hard part was giving the first step."

"No, the hard part is telling her how you feel about her."

"You're not helping, Clementine!"

He laughed. He might be a nice guy, but he still likes to mess with me from time to time. "It's the truth! Confessing is not always easy. Sometimes, the words come easily, sometimes, you have to remember that you're supposed to breathe AND talk. You'll find an opportunity to do it. But don't think about that now. You have to focus on building your friendship and get to know her better. It wouldn't hurt to tell her more about yourself. You need to open up a bit."

"I know... I will open up at my pace. There's a lot of things about me I don't want her to know just yet. I want her to be my friend because she genuinely wants to be, not because of pity. I don't want to ruin this friendship before it even begins."

My brother smiled and nodded. "I'm sure she will understand. Well, I'm going to bed."

"Wait!"

Clementine closed the door, but opened it again after I called him. "Yes?"

"Aren't you going to tell me about your date?"

Author's Note:

Pity? What could Trixie be hiding from Rarity to avoid her to feel pity for her? :rainbowderp:

I'm sure most of my followers will know, but please, don't go around spoiling it! :unsuresweetie: