• Published 25th Jan 2017
  • 3,725 Views, 547 Comments

The Mysteries of Love - MysteriousStranger



Trixie has had feelings for a certain generous girl for some time, and she's tired of them. Will she be able to throw her pride away and talk to her crush?

  • ...
12
 547
 3,725

The Big Test

Trixie's P.O.V.

Just like that, another week passed. Between the exams and homework, Rarity and I couldn't hang out yet. Unlike Rarity, I passed the exams she had to retake this week, so I was not as busy studying as her. I could barely see her this week. We did study together twice, but I noticed that she was actually getting better. She was understanding everything. She told me that she has been studying whenever she had free time. I could see the progress. She also called me once in awhile to talk and to ask me one or two questions, but it was mostly just to talk. I'm so happy that we're official friends now. I like to see that she's enjoying having me around. She talks to me about everything on her life. Her friends, her family, her dreams.

I know her friends, but I'm still not ready to meet them properly. I was still rude unless I was alone with my brother, or Rarity, or both. I’ve also been thinking about meeting her family, and maybe to go over her house one day. They can't be so bad. She has also told me about her dreams. She mentioned that she wants to be a fashionista. I can admire that, I'm not sure if it's a hard job or not, but she adores the idea of becoming one of the best, if not the best, fashionista in the world.

But she also mentioned something that made my heart sink while she spoke about her dreams. She spoke about getting married in the future. To walk towards the altar with the man of her dreams. A... groom. I suppose I should have been prepared for this, but I wasn't. I barely could fake a smile while she spoke of her perfect match. She told me about her past and current crushes. All male. Even so, I still have a crush on her. I'm still her friend. There's no way I'm going to walk away now. Being her friend still makes me happy, and it also made her happy. That's what's matter. In time, if our friendship grows enough, I could tell her about how I feel and hope she accepts them somehow. But for now, that's out of the question.

I still want to change. I still want to be a better person. I can't let that accident to haunt me my entire life. Mom, dad... Shoot, not these tears again! I didn't cry back then, I won't cry now! I was safe in my room, but I didn't want to cry. I quickly removed my tears with an arm. The least I thought about them, the better. I looked down at my homework again. I was about to finish. Just one more exercise and the rest of the weekend would be mine. I had my day planned. Homework, jog, bath, relax. A me day. Simple, but I like simple. After finishing my homework, I put on my black leggings before taking off my favorite cotton jacket. It was warm outside, so I wouldn't need it. I tied my hair into a ponytail and I was ready to leave. I walked into the kitchen, where my brother was talking on the phone.

"I'm going to jog, Clementine. I might go to a store on the way back. Need anything?"

"We're out of strawberry juice." My brother smiled at me before returning to his phone call.

"Okay." I smiled back at him and opened the door to leave. I usually jogged avoiding Canterlot High School. No one wants to spend extra time near its grounds. I have always enjoyed the feeling of the wind hitting my face as I jog. It relaxed me. I felt free. A stupid thought, but, jogging was a time where I didn't have to worry about anything. It was just me and me. I never worried about school, or my life. It was like a break from the real world.

I did exercise for about an hour before deciding to return home. But before that, I had to go to the store. I could see one nearby, but when I was getting closer, the door opened and a girl I came out. I recognized her immediately. That rainbow colored hair of hers is impossible to miss.

Rainbow Dash.

Of course, I didn't want to be seen, so I turned around the corner and hid. My back was against the wall, where I felt safe to peek. She was laughing and two more girls followed her.

*Bump* *Bump*

My heart started to race with the sight of one of them. Rarity. However, my heart sank and anger invaded my body when I saw the other companion. Sunset Shimmer, the former bully of Canterlot High. I refused to believe she changed. I have always hated that girl. One of her schemes was unforgivable. Something I would never do. I can't believe Rarity accepted her as a friend so quickly. Sunset was laughing alongside Rainbow Dash, but my crush was just smiling politely.

"Rarity, We're sorry. You made some room between your studies to spend time with us, and we're ignoring you." That tomboy, Rainbow Dash, apologized. She should know better. How dares her to bore my Rarity! Wait, did I just say MY Rarity? I must have made some kind of noise, because Rarity looked into my direction. I quickly hid, but I was sure she saw me. Stupid, stupid Trixie! They weren't too far, so of course any kind of noise could have been heard. I probably grunted. I couldn't believe this. From all the stores in the city, they had to come to this one. Just my luck. At least her friends didn't hear me.

So I hoped. I didn't dare to peek again. I remained with my back against the wall until my body obeyed me again. However, just as I was about to walk on the opposite direction to avoid detection, I heard footsteps getting closer. Where they coming to my direction? My heart started to race, but this time, fear was making it pound faster. They were going to see me, what am I going to do?! I tried to escape by quickly walking down the sideway, but a shadow obstructed the sun. Someone was standing behind me.

"I spy, with my little eye, a naughty girl eavesdroping other people's conversations." I stood straight at once. I recognized this voice very well, but it didn't mean I was safe. I slowly turned my head to a side to find Rarity standing close to me. Her arms were crossed and her body was slightly leaned. I sighed of relief when I saw that she wasn't angry, on the contrary, she had a smile on her face.

"Rarity!" I turned my body to face her. "I... I'm sorry... I didn't mean to... wait, are your friends waiting for you?"

"No. I told them I had something to do, so they left." She rested a hand on her waist as she said the last, but she left the other one hanging. "Were you spying on us?"

"What? No, no, no!" I desperately shook my hands towards her. "I just happened to be going to the store when I saw you coming from it. That's all, I swear!"

"Mm, hmm..." she raised an eyebrow. She didn't believe me, did she?

"I wasn't my intention to listen. I panicked! I didn't want to be seen!"

"You were just hiding, then?" I nodded. "Why? This is not Canterlot High. Why were you avoiding my friends?" She removed her hand from her waist. Her face... she wasn't smiling anymore.

"Because..." I took a fist to my forehead. "I can't help it. You... you wouldn't understand. Please, I don't want to talk about it."

Rarity looked away, then, into the floor, sighing. "I'm sorry. I-I know you don't want to be seen. I was just in the defensive, you know? I'm worried about what you think about my friends."

I huffed. The last I want is to make her upset. "I understand. Rarity, I might be menacing towards people, but... I still have feelings..."

"What do you mean?"

"I know they won't make nice comments about me. I'm not prepared to ignore them. I almost always have a comeback, but what they say still make me upset. I have none but me to blame. Me and this attitude of mine. This is how I have always been..."

"That's not true..."

"What?"

"N-Nothing!" She quickly turned her head to avoid my gaze. What did she mean? She knows that my attitude was the reason I'm not a likeable girl, but she doesn't knows why I acted like this. There was no way she could know. "A-Anyway, you look different. Where you jogging?" Her eyes met mine again. She recovered her smile.

"Oh, this?" I looked down at my attire. "Yeah, I was. I have to do regular exercise like everyone else." Now I was smiling as well. I was thankful for that. The situation was getting... tense.

"I like the way you wear your hair. I can barely recognize you."

"Oh, please, it's nothing." I touched my hair with a hand and blushed. Her compliments always made my day. "Have you ever tied up your hair like this?"

"It's not really my style. I love combing my hair like this. Do you?"

"Y-Yes, it suits you..." please, please, please, I hope my blush wasn't too noticeable. I loved her hair. The way it moves with her, how it went down her shoulders. Her accessories... I wish I could touch it, stroke it. If only...

"Trixie...? Trixie...!" I blinked several times and looked at Rarity. She was waving a hand in front of my face. Was I spacing out? "Oh, you're back to your senses! Darling, you were staring at nowhere." Yes, I was... Come on, Trixie, don't fantasize with Rarity when she's in front of you! "What were you thinking about?"

"N-Nothing important. I... I told my brother I wouldn't take long. I should return home now." I quickly turned my body to the opposite direction and walked away. I felt my cheeks burning and I didn't want Rarity to see me like this.

"Oh, okay... goodbye, I guess..." I'm such a terrible person.

I didn't even say goodbye. That wasn't cool. I tried to see her one last time by turning my head, but she had already gone. Just fantastic, The whole point of being her friend is to stop doing stupid things like these. I had to do something. I had to apologize to her. That's it! I'll call her as soon as I get home. I ran all the way back home so I could grab my phone and call her. When I arrived, I opened the front door and ran towards my room.

"Hey, were you raised in a tent? Close the door!" Just ignore him, Trixie. I locked myself in my room and took my phone from my desk. I searched for Rarity in my contacts list. She wasn't hard to find, she was the only one besides my brother. I pressed the call button, and waited. I waited and waited... Finally, after what I felt was an eternity, Rarity picked up her phone.

"Hello?"

"Rarity, it's me. Trixie..."

"I know, I have you registered, remember?" Well, at least she didn't sound mad. I could feel the happiness in her voice.

"Yes, right... umm, listen, I want to apologize for leaving all of the sudden."

"It's alright, Trixie. Actually... I wanted to apologize too."

"What for?"

"I realized that I might have gotten you uncomfortable when I asked why were you avoiding my friends. I just forgot about what you told me of not being ready, and..."

She's so sweet. I had completely forgotten about that, but she was still worried. Aww, Rarity. "It's alright, Rarity. I appreciate your concern. You didn't need to apologize, I wasn't mad."

"You weren't? Oh, thank goodness! I was worried that I ruined our friendship!"

I giggled, catching her relief and good mood. "We're both good, then."

"Yes. We are. So, how was your jogging?"

"It was alright. I need to take a bath now. I stink!" I joked and Rarity laughed. I was glad that I didn't ruin anything.

"Okay. Maybe I can join you next time in your jog."

"That's not a bad idea, I would love to have some company. Although, you know you have to tie up your hair, right? Otherwise, your hair will get in the way"

"Don't remind me." She huffed happily. "Well, I'm home. Time to study... break is over."

"Good luck, Rarity. Just remember, I'm here if you need me."

"Knowing that I can count on you does calm me. I can focus. Thank you..."

"I told you, you don't need to thank me anymore."

"I can't help it. I'm very thankful! I'll see you on Monday."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hang up and let my breath go. I felt so much better. I opened my door and headed to the bathroom, but I was stopped by my brother before reaching it.

"Did you bring the strawberry juice?"

"Oh, fridge!"


The day came. It was Wednesday. Biology's test was here. The classroom was silent. All I could hear was the sound of pens writing and the clock ticking. I wasn't worried about my test. I always passed. I was worried about Rarity. I couldn't turn my head to see her. I knew she was ready for this, I helped her to the point she could study by herself, but nervousness can betray anyone. I finished within forty-five minutes and was allowed to leave the classroom, but I stayed on the other side of the door.

I watched Rarity. She didn't look so nervous. She took her time to think between questions. I moved every time a student finished the test to let them leave. I was starting to get anxious, but at the same time, I didn't want her to hurry. She had to concentrate. She passed the two exams she had to retake last week, and she can do it again. I know she can pass. Sunset Shimmer was the next student to leave the room. I moved far away to avoid being seen by her. When I was walking back, I saw Rarity leave the room. I stopped dead in my tracks. She looked around and saw me. Grinning, she ran towards me and put her hands on my arms.

"I can't believe it, I think I did it!" She shook me as she spoke.

"Really?!"

She nodded with excitement. "I was confident. I knew most of the questions! I know I passed! And it's all thanks to you, Trixie!"

I grinned and she hugged me. She squealed and jumped. I jumped as well since she was holding me. However, a noise made us stop. Someone cleared their throat as we were celebrating. Both of us slowly turned our heads until we spotted the one who made the noise.

It was Sunset Shimmer.

I was unable to move any muscle. From all the people in the school, why her? Not Sunset Shimmer! Confusion was clear in her face. Everything was ruined. She will tell everyone about this and my life won't be the same anymore.

I'm doomed.

Author's Note:

Woah, Trixie, I think you're being a little too dramatic :twilightblush:

You're probably asking yourselves, why did Trixie say "Fridge"? I can answer that. I remember what the director of "Home Alone" told Joe Pesci to avoid cursing. He told him to say "Fridge" instead of throwing the F bomb. I want to keep my fics curse free, so, I apologize if you don't like it :pinkiesmile:

This chapter has been revised by zalla661