• Published 25th Jan 2017
  • 3,741 Views, 547 Comments

The Mysteries of Love - MysteriousStranger



Trixie has had feelings for a certain generous girl for some time, and she's tired of them. Will she be able to throw her pride away and talk to her crush?

  • ...
12
 547
 3,741

Exercising with the Crush

Trixie's P.O.V.

I found myself running on a prairie. Happiness invaded my body. I saw green all around me. Nothing but trees, bushes and grass. Then, in the distance, I saw someone running towards me. I couldn't tell who it was. Shadows covered the individual, even though it was sunny. I ran towards the person to be able to tell who it was. Eventually, the shadows disappeared, and I could see with great joy that Rarity was the individual. She opened her arms when she was close to me. I opened mine as well before colliding. We rolled on the grass, laughing, until we slowly came to a halt. I had Rarity on top of me. She was looking straight into my eyes with that radiant smile of hers. Suddenly, she leaned towards my lips with hers. She came closer, and closer, and closer, and...

Beep, beep, beep!

I woke up abruptly with the loud sound of my alarm clock. I sat on my bed and panted. When I realized where I was, I darted my eyes towards my alarm clock and grabbed it. "It's the last time you interrupt my dreams on the best part!" I tossed it to my wall, breaking it, successfully stopping the alarm. My room fell into silence. "Stupid alarm clock. I can't even kiss her in my dreams!"

My brother knocked on my door from the other side. "Did you break your alarm clock again?"

"So what if I did?! It killed my slumber! And just when it was getting to the best part..."

I could hear Clementine sigh loudly. "That's the last alarm clock I buy for you. From now on, use the alarm feature of your cell phone. At least you won't smash that into the wall."

"Whatever!" My head dropped back on the pillow and I closed my eyes. But they didn't get to rest for long. I remembered that I had an important appointment. I jumped off my bed and ran towards my drawers to change. "I can't believe I almost forgot that I agreed to jog with Rarity today!" I searched every drawer, but part of my jogging outfit was missing. I only found my shirt and trainers. There were no signs of my yoga pants. I put the clothes I had on my bed and ran towards the kitchen, where my brother was preparing himself some coffee.

"Clementine! Have you seen my yoga pants?"

"Good morning to you too." He joyfully said while he poured coffee in his cup. "I'm surprised you're up. Why did you set the alarm clock? You always say that waking up on Sunday morning is a crime."

"I... I'm meeting Rarity at 10 AM to jog. I really need my leggings, Clem. Where are they?"

"Up on the terrace, drying."

"Thank you!" I said as I ran towards the roof.

"Please, Trixie, don't spill more ice-cream on them!"

"No promises!" After climbing a few stairs, I opened the door leading to the terrace. The main privilege of living on the last floor was that we had the roof all for ourselves, meaning that we don't have to buy a drying machine like the rest of the Tenants. Ha, ha!

I could only find one pair of pants up here. My spares must still be dirty. I ran back inside with my pants in my hands and tried to head straight to my room, but Clementine stopped me.

"Wait! Have your breakfast first."

"Just let me change, please."

Clementine shook his head. "Negative. You could get your clothes dirty. I can wash your pajamas later, but you only have one pair of yoga pants completely dry. If you want to meet Rarity today, have your breakfast now."

I huffed and walked back to the kitchen. "Fine..." I sank on the chair, focusing my eyes on the ceiling letting my arms hang from the sides.

"Very feminine." My brother just loves to joke, doesn't he?

"Give me a break. I'm at home, I don't have to behave 'properly'." a yawn was impossible to avoid. "I'm still sleepy."

"You won't be for long when you see what you have for breakfast." As he said that, my brother put something on the table. I couldn't see what since I was still facing up, but I recognized the sound. I quickly moved my head down to put my eyes on the table. Gasping, I stretched my arms towards my breakfast. It was a box of my favorite cereal. "Cocoa Krispies! You got me Cocoa Krispies?!"

"Umm, no. I got you an apple." Clementine chuckled. "You earned it. I bought it yesterday, after we parted ways."

I was so happy! So happy, that I ran towards my brother to hug him. "You're the best brother ever! Thank you, thank you!"

"Chill, Trix. It's just cereal." He hugged me back until I released him. Then, I headed towards the fridge to get the milk. I poured the milk on the bowl after filling it with cereal.

"I can already flavor them." my brother rolled his eyes, but I ignored him. It was time to dig in.


After my delicious breakfast, I went to my room to get changed and to comb my hair into a ponytail for the jog. I also decided to take a waist bag to carry my cell phone and some money, just in case.

"I'll be back by lunch, Clem." I said as I walked to the front door.

"I won't be home. I'll have lunch with my girlfriend. Remember?"

"Oh, right... I'll get something to eat on my way back."

"Why don't you see if Rarity has plans first?"

I blushed. "Don't you think I should give her space? I'm not her only friend."

"Just ask her if she has plans for lunch. You won't spend the entire day with her." He smiled. "She obviously enjoys hanging out with you; otherwise, she wouldn't text you so much.

I opened the door, but remained still for a while. Then, I sighed. "I guess you're right... okay, I'll ask her."

"Good girl. Now, begone! You're interrupting my breakfast."

I stuck my tongue out at him and left the apartment. I didn't start to jog until after I left the complex. I checked the time on my cell phone. 9:30 AM. I was still on time to get to Rarity's house. One of the benefits of going to the same school was that students usually live close. I can make it to her place in half an hour or less. When I was a few blocks away, I opted to walk in a fast pace to save energy.

As expected, I arrived in twenty minutes. I rang the bell of Rarity's fancy house and I waited. I could see her approach to the door from one of the many windows. My heart started to race and a grin appeared on my face. I had to contain a gasp when she opened her front door. She was wearing a light purple t-shirt and a black running skirt, with trainers and socks that matched the outfit. No matter what she wears, elegance followed her. Her hair was prepared for the jog. Unlike me, she combed her hair into a bun. She still looked gorgeous.

"Trixie! I'm glad that you managed to get up so early."

"Well, I didn't want to let you down." My body was heating up. Please, Trixie, don't sweat just yet!

"I'm happy to see you're a girl who keeps her promises. Shall we go?"

I was unable to speak another world at the moment, so I nodded. Rarity closed her door and our jog started.

"Where do you usually go?"

"I... umm..." I cleared my throat to force myself to speak. "I take different routes. Sometimes I just go around town, sometimes I go straight to the park. I'm unpredictable."

"So you are, huh? I'll tell you what; we'll go to the outskirts of the town."

"That's a good idea! I never dared to go that far on my own."

"There's always a first time, darling." She winked at me. I had to look forward to hide my blush. My heart is going to explode one of these days!

"So, about the open mic your brother spoke about. He has done it many times, right?"

"They did. They always play on the same place. It works for them since it's just a hobby. Will your sister go?"

Rarity shook her head. "She asked my parents but they said no. They have the final word."

"Aww, that's a shame. The karaoke only opens during the night. Maybe when she grows up a little." I smiled at her and Rarity returned it. But I could see that she was sad.

"I'm sure she will demand to go as soon as she's old enough."

"You're sad because your sister can't join us?"

"You noticed, huh?" She sighed before talking again. "She was so excited to go. She begged me to try to convince our parents to let her come. But I took my parents side. I worried. Not just because of her sleeping schedule, but also because we're going to be in an unknown place at night. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the music since I would be watching my sister like a hawk."

"You're very protective, like my brother. You should have seen him when I enrolled Canterlot High. He kept asking questions to Principal Celestia to make sure I would be safe. It's good that the Principal is a patient woman."

Rarity giggled. "She's very understanding. When my parents aren't around, I'm the one called when Sweetie Belle gets in troubles. She's not a bad girl; she just has too much energy. I remember when she caused an entire row of bookcases to collapse in the school's library. The librarian was pulling out her hair in despair."

I chuckled. "I always wondered why the library was a mess when I went to return a book."

Rarity smiled lightly. "My sister is lucky that the Principal remained calm. Of course, Sweetie Belle got grounded for a week. She was forbidden from having friends over or doing activities with them outside the school, but I kept her company."

"Careful now, Rarity. I once gifted Clementine with a trophy with a personalized inscription. The Best Sibling in the World. For his birthday. He won't be happy if I give it away to someone else."

"Why, thank you." My crush laughed by my comment. "I do my best. I just do what any brother or sister should do."

We continued on our jog until we reached the outskirts of the city. The sun was hitting us hard. We were panting. Fortunately, there were benches nearby. We sat on one to catch our breath.

"I need to remember to bring my water." I commented and I cleared my sweat from my forehead. "I always forget it in my fridge."

"I don't have a bottle. I have to buy one for next time."

"Next time?" I looked at her. "You'll jog on your own?"

She giggled and smiled at me. "No, silly. I want to jog with you or not at all. It's fun, with a friend."

My cheeks turned red, so I had to look away. "Uh, yeah, it is. I always listen to music. It's good to have someone with me for a change."

"Everything's better with friends. The more, the better. We all need at least one friend."

"You have many friends. You're certain that they also like having you around?"

"Of course, darling. They have always been there when I needed them, no matter how big or small my problem was. I'm willing to do the same for them and for you." When she finished her sentence, she put a hand on mine. I shifted my eyes down to our hands. My heart started to race and my cheeks to burn.

Her hand was so soft. A little sticky because of the sweat, but feeling her touch was... was... too much to my heart to handle. I could only think on jumping on her, but she will get mad. I looked at my crush. She was smiling warmly. She was too cute! I have to do something before I do something rash! I scanned the area. Bingo! A distraction on sight!

"L-Look! There's a store over there! Let's buy some water!" I abruptly removed my hand from Rarity's and walked towards the store across the street.

"Oh... okay..." My crush followed me, but she sounded... disappointed? Why? Maybe it's because of the way I removed my hand. I did it too hard, didn't I?

The store had air conditioner, so I felt relieved the moment I stepped a foot inside. "Much better." I moved my head to look at Rarity, but my smile abandoned me when I noticed she was still upset. Oh, fridge! I have to apologize to her. I opened my mouth to say sorry, but the shop attendant spoke first.

"Hello, ladies. What can I do for you?"

"Oh! Hello." My eyes focused on the shop attendant. I didn't hear him coming. "Two bottles of water, please. Cold, if possible."

"I see. Doing exercise, huh?" I nodded, but the shopkeeper wasn't looking at me.

"Trixie, I didn't bring any money with me. I'll pay you back when we're back"

"You don't have to. Consider it a gift."

"Oh, no, no, no. I can't let you do that. Please, allow me to pay you back." I wanted to argue more, but the shop attendant gave us the water. I paid for the bottles and left. I gave Rarity her bottle once we were outside. "Thank you." She said before drinking some of her water.

"You're welcome. So, uhh... I'm sorry about earlier..."

"Hmm?" She couldn't reply me with words since she was still drinking her water, but I could see she was confused.

"About... you know, moving all of the sudden and leaving your hand..."

"Oh!" she stopped drinking and could talk to me. "Trixie, don't worry about that. I'm not upset." She was smiling at me now, but I could swear she was upset earlier. I don't think it was my imagination. I opened my bottle and drank some of my water. I really needed it. "We made it far, but the sun is killing me. Shall we head back? Walking, though. I think I can't go any faster."

"Sure. Yeah, the sun is hitting hard for being so early in the morning."

"It's 11 AM, Trixie..."

"Early in the morning!"

Rarity laughed softly at my reaction and I smiled at her. I shouldn't worry too much about what happened earlier. It was best to forget about it. "Eww, my skin feels so sticky. Next time, we need to jog earlier."

"Earlier?!"

Rarity nodded. "Absolutely. As long as the sun hits us like this, we need to go out at the first hour in the morning."

"Why don't we just... don't jog while it's hot?"

"Don't be silly, darling, we have to do exercise! Us, ladies, need to stay in shape. It helps to get attention. I thought you loved being in the center of it."

"Not at this price!"

My crush laughed and grabbed my face with her hand. "Don't be so dramatic." She shook my head softly before releasing me. But I could still feel her. My gosh, I could feel her hand twice. My heart is melting! "I tell you what. We'll jog in the city next time. There are more shadows there. You can show me your routes."

"Uhh... sure!" I smiled at her. She won't notice my red cheeks with this light. "Please, don't make Trixie wake up earlier. You said it yourself, the city has more shadows."

Rarity rolled her eyes and smiled. "Fine. We'll do it at 10 AM again."

I grinned. "Thank you! I couldn't possibly stand that punishment." Rarity giggled and I looked forward. I disliked the idea of waking up early every Sunday, but I loved the idea of spending the morning with the girl I have deep feelings for.


We arrived at Rarity's house by 1 PM. She looked at me with a bright smile when we stood by her door.

"It was fun, Trixie. I'm really looking forward for next Sunday's jog."

"Don't forget about the concert the day before." I said with a smile, holding my own hands on my back.

"Of course, I wouldn't miss it for anything. I'll see you tomorrow at school."

"W-Wait...!" Rarity barely touched the doorknob when I stopped her. She turned her head to gaze at me with confusion. "Uh... d-do you have plans for lunch...?"

My crush didn't change her expression for a few moments. Like if she was thinking on something. Surely, she finds it weird that I sounded so nervous to ask her for lunch, but for me, it felt like if I was asking her out on a date. Anxiety invaded my body as I waited for her reply.

Rarity fluttered her eyelids deveral times before she smiled warmly at me. "I would love to, darling, but I'm having lunch with my sister. I would ask you to do something in the afternoon, but I also have plans with other friends. Next time. It's a promise." She winked an eye at me, which made me blush madly. "I need a bath to get rid of my sticky skin. Goodbye, Trixie." She entered her house and locked her door with her key.

I walked around the corner to rest my back on a wall. I had to use my hands as fans. I felt like I was boiling! My feelings were killing me. Anything she did made me feel butterflies in my stomach. Just being near her caused it. But she winked twice at me today! I don't know how I managed to not to faint. "Breathe, Trixie, breathe." I took deep breaths and released them. When I calmed down enough, I walked towards my house. I really wasn't looking forward to have lunch on my own. My Sunday started out great, but now comes the boring part.


I was listening to music while lying on my bed. My eyes were focused on the ceiling. After buying food at a convenience store and taking a shower, I had lunch on my own. My only company was the wall clock. It has been a while since I had been all alone at home. Ever since I became friends with Rarity, I have always been in contact it her either by text messages or phone calls.

But I felt like if I was taking too much of her time. She had plans with her sister; I didn't want to get between them. She's then spending the rest of the afternoon with her friends, and I can't contact her since her friends would notice. I think I have never felt so lonely in my entire life. I haven't realized how empty my life really was before the crush.

Thanks to her, I had a reason to change... but it was so hard. I need more courage to cut my ties with my... friends. I'm still furious at them for trying to humiliate Rarity, but I didn't feel ready to just walk away. I wouldn't stand being alone at school as well. Sure, Rarity was there, but I can only talk to her in secret.

Even if I was ready to apologize to her friends, I doubt they would accept me into their group with open arms. I shut my eyes. I could feel them coming. Tears. Crying won't make me feel better, it won't solve my situation. Repressing my tears was the smart thing to do. I was strong enough to resist anything.

While I was fighting my tears, I felt my phone vibrate. I didn't hear the ringtone because of my music, so I didn't know who it was. There are only three people who can call me and I have personalized ringtones for them, so I got used to picking up the phone without looking. I turned the music's volume down as I answered the phone. "Yes?"

"Trixie, it's me. Rosemary."

"Oh..." My sister in-law. It was weird of her to call me, she never does. Maybe because I have been so distant to her. "Hey... how is it going?"

"Everything's fine, thank you. Listen... your brother has told me about your crush."

"He did?" As I talked with Rosemary, I sat on my bed. I suppose I should have seen it coming. I never asked Clementine to keep it a secret from his girlfriend. "How much did he tell you?"

"Everything he knows." Even though I couldn't see her, I could feel she was smiling. "I know how hard crushes can be in High School. Seeing them every day and not having the courage to confess. But you did a good thing by becoming her friend. I'm happy to see that you're trying to leave the bubble you always said to live in. Trixie, I want you to know that you have my full support. You can come to me if Clementine isn't available."

"Th-Thank you, Rosemary, that means a lot. I'll keep it in mind."

"It's my pleasure. I have to go now. Clementine left not long ago. He should be there soon."

"I'll talk to you later. Oh! You're coming next Saturday to the karaoke, right?"

"You know I never miss a show. That crush of yours is going too, right? I'm looking forward to meeting her. Bye bye!"

"Bye." She hang up and I remained looking at my phone. I can't believe I forgot about my own sister in-law. She knows about the situation my brother and I went through. She understood how much I need Clementine. Why didn't I come to her before? I felt like an idiot.

"Baby girl, I'm home! Are you in here?!" My brother was back. I threw my phone to the bed and ran out of my room. I dashed towards him and hugged him tightly. "Whoa! What's the hug for?"

"I love you, Clementine. Thank you..."

Clementine got what I meant almost instantly. He hugged me back and kissed my head. "You're welcome, Trixie."

Author's Note:

A new character! Yay or nay? :pinkiesmile:

Sorry for taking so long to update. I'm afraid that, now that Summer is over, I don't have so much free time. I hope you all understand :fluttershysad:

Also, I know that some of you are worried about the other potential romance that was revealed in the previous chapter. Don't worry. This story is 99.95% Rarixie, I'm not losing the course. TwiShy has only one reason to exist here, but it will be revealed at its time. Once it fulfills that reason, you won't hear from them except in small dialogues. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. This story is very different from the others, I'm not focusing on two couples, I'm just focusing on one :raritywink:

zalla661 revised this :pinkiesmile: