• Published 27th Oct 2016
  • 1,390 Views, 11 Comments

The Legend of Everfree Creek - ShadowWalking18



This is the account of Ponyvillians, and their experience with the creature known as The Everfree Monster

  • ...
3
 11
 1,390

Applejack (3)

I didn't know who or what I saw that night. It could 'ave been a Diamond Dog. Or a pony. Maybe anything. I didn't think it was a bear anymore, cause I know I saw it running on two legs.

But I didn't think it was a monster. I had ta be realistic with this. Our apples were being stolen, and I couldn't waste time thinkin' it was some monster like Applebloom seemed intent on.

I spent the rest o' that night unable to sleep though.

The next day, we did an accounting of our apples. We'd 'ave enough ta meet our shipment demands...barely anyway. But we be unable ta sell much in market day in town. That would cost us some bits.

I didn't wait that night expectin' ta hurt somepony, but I 'ad ta take a stand. Fer the good o' my family and the farm.

....I didn't believe the tales of a monster my sister told me.

I believe her now.

Applejack's head nodded back and forth as she breathed lightly, small little noises escaping as she did.

"Neigh. Neigh. Neigh." She softly snored, as her head started to droop.

Winona barked, jolting Applejack awake.

"Whoa!" She looked around, gripping the bat she had procured tight, before realizing it was Winona, "Oh. Ya scared me there girl. Guess I was noddin' off there."

She patted the dogs head, before yawning and staring out back out from the farm porch. She looked around, her ears twitching and turning to listen for any unnatural noises. And beside her Winona sniffed at the air, but so far had not reacted to any unknown presence.

Having decided to face down the thief, Applejack had spent all the time after her chores patrolling the farm. Even as the day ended, she had kept up the vigil; even choosing to eat her dinner outside on the porch.

The sound of the door opening, told AJ someone was coming outside. She turned to see her big brother, a mug of what smelled like coffee in his hoof.

Big Mac offered the mug with a smile.

"Oh thanks Big Mac. A little pick me up would be a big help." AJ smiled, taking the mug and taking a long slow sip of the still hot drink.

Setting down her drink, AJ went back to her vigil, "THanks again. Ya can go back inside. You're gonna need all your rest tomorrow."

Big Mac frowned, "Nope."

"Now Big Mac I can handle this on my own. I 'ave saved Equestria several times before. I can handle a little thief."

Big Mac still frowned, but sighed and turned to go back inside.

"Just becareful okay." He said simply.

"I will. Good night." AJ said, giving a reassuring smile.

For the next hour or so, AJ kept herself up and watched. When all the lights in the farm house were off and the whole farm was dark, save the light of the moon and stars, did AJ get off the chair she had been sitting in and gripped Winona's leash. It was time to patrol.

"Come on Winona." AJ said, pulling on the leash and leading the way. Winona followed with a bark.

The two of them walked along around the farm, checking the apple storage and barn. So far nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and Applejack had begun to feel that maybe last nights encounter had been enough to scare off the thief. This was soon shattered when Winona began to growl.

"What is it girl?" AJ whispered, gripping her bat.

Winona growled and began to bark, lunging forward. Applejack gripped the leash and ran, heading for the apple storage. All the way Winona barked. But when she arrived, the door was untouched and Winona was still barking and trying to pull forward.

A sudden loud squeal, made her nearly jump out of her skin. Enough that her grip slacked and Winona yanked herself free and charged off into the darkness; heading in the direction of the sound. The pig pen.

"Winona!" Applejack shouted, following.

Winona did not stop, barking. She was going so fast, Applejack couldn't keep up. She heard Winona barking, and pigs squealing before a new sound came about.

It was a sound like nothing she had heard, like some sort of screaming roar, as Winona snarled. Applejack finally got to the pig pen, just in time to see Winona flying through the air and hitting the ground hard; her barks turning into yelps of pain.

"Winona!" AJ screamed, fearful for her dog. She turned in the direction Winona had been thrown and her heart froze.

There, clear in the moon light, stood a tall hairy black beast. The same beast she had seen last night. It had two small pigs in both its arms, that struggled fruitlessly and squealed.

The lights in the farm house went on, and the beast looked before turning back to AJ.

Applejack, shock now gone, gripped her bat and charged.

"Ya let them go ya varmint!" She screamed, charging.

The beast roared, and lifted a leg in a kick. Applejack had not expected how long the creatures legs were and it struck her across the side of her body and lifted her off her feet. She hit the ground winded and bruised. The creature then turned, carrying off both pigs and leaped over the pig pen fence and rushing off back to the woods.

By the time the rest of the family got out, various implements in hoof and to AJ, the creature was already gone.


The following morning, Applejack, and the rest of the apple clan, brought Winona to the vet. The poor dog had been struck across the head, a tooth missing from apparently having bitten and being yanked off the creature. Her left back hip was cracked, as were several ribs from being thrown.

Applejack herself also had a heavy bruise on her side from the kick. Though both would recover. The two pigs were never seen again, and the creature never seemed to come back after that, though some nights they thought they could hear it roaming at the edge of the farm. Never the less, the Apples to this day lock and bar their doors and windows before going to sleep.