• ...
 0
 601

In a manger

Woodwind shot up from the nightmare, sweat pouring down his face. He looked to his wife, still fast asleep next to him, IV lines sticking out of her arms.
He stood and quietly left the room, and headed for the gardens out in back of the intensive care wing.
The cold of the winter night stung him like needles. It didn't bother him much. He was never really bothered by physical pain; his military training helped him with that.
But that was another life. A life he hardly remembered anymore.
He thought about his old world, the people he left behind. The families and old friends he let die.
They were all long gone now.
He heard somepony trotting up behind him, breaking his thoughts. He whirled to see his oldest friend coming down the courtyard.
Hairline.
"Well, well well." He said smiling. "Look what the cat coughed up."
Woodwind let out a smile. "I was just thinking about earth and look who shows up out of the blue. "
He walked up to his old friend.
"So hows Teeny doing? Still a pain in the ass."
He laughed. "Ever since she got pregnant again, yea." He sighed. "She's up their now, giving birth to the little monster."
Woodwind looked surprised. "Why aren't you up there with her?"
He chuckled loudly. "You wanna be up there with her? Be my guest."
Remembering how much of a pain Teeny could be when she was angry, or in pain, he quickly declined.
Hairline pulled out two cigarettes and offered him one. "You shtill shmoke?" He said putting one in his mouth and lighting it.
Woodwind plucked it from his hoof. His old friend lighting it up.
He hadn't smoked in nearly ten years; The sweet, grape flavored smoke stung his lungs and he coughed uncontrollably.
Hairline chuckled loudly.
"So hows your wife doin'?" He asked "Heard she was pretty sick."
His nonchalant way of saying it kind of stung, but Woodwind quickly brushed it off.
"She'll be ok. but barely." he said, taking another inhale on the cigarette. He handled this one better and breathed out the soothing smoke.
"I wish i could have come with you, but the old lady needs all the help she can get with our son."
Woodwind smiled. "And how is Sunny doing?"
"You should really ask how WE are doing." he corrected, putting his cigarette out on his hind hoof. "How's Squeak?" He returned.
"She's great. She's at Rainbow Dash's house for the night with the twins. Tomorrow she'll be aloud to see her mother." He stated, putting out his own cigarette.
"How did you, out of anyone i used to know, start a family before me?" He laughed.
Woodwind shook his head laughing. "Probably because I still have all my hair."
He bumped Hairlines shoulder with a hoof and laughed hard.
"Low-ballin', man! Low-ballin!" He shot back smiling. "How did you handle things when Fluttershy was pregnant?" He asked wondering how anypony could put up with it.
Woodwind thought back to it. and he smiled with the memories. "Well if you really want to know..."

*****

Fluttershy bolted for the bathroom, rousing Woodwind from his sleep.
It was 4:00 am. He sighed and sat up, rubbing his eyes. "You want anything to eat, babe?" He yelled as he walked down the stairs to the kitchen. Her gagging answered him back.
"I'll take that as a no." He murmured entering the kitchen. All the coffee had to be thrown out; the smell made her upset to her stomach and she had been quite- persuasive on the matter.
"Guess it's juice and toast for me this morning" he thought to himself.
Fluttershy entered the kitchen, her color a little off. She slunk into her seat and slammed her head down on the table groaning.
He went over and kissed her on the cheek. "You ok?" He asked pouring her some juice. She looked pissed.
"I've been puking for seven months straight, do you think i'm ok?"
"Meant nothing by it, hun." he said defensively. She chugged the juice down and floated from the chair. Her wings struggling to maintain her new weight. She grabbed a bag of feed and headed out the door to get her chores done early.
Woodwind sunk into his chair. His blooming marriage had become strained. Her sweet and tender demeanor was replaced by a grouchy and short fuzed one. Something that had Woodwind stretched to his limits.

He heard a scream from the yard. He rushed out faster than the chair could crash to the floor.
She was laying in the grass, clutching her stomach tightly. He rushed to her side.
"What happened?! What's wrong?!" He yelled trying to help her up.
"I think it's time! It's happening!" She screamed in pain as he stood her up.
"Oh Crap! What do i do?!" he yelled holding her tight
"I don't know, but you better do something!" She yelled, letting out another blood curdling scream.

"Ughh, What in the world of Equestria is all that yelling?" Spike grumbled slamming his pillow over his face.
"Do you think i know?" Twilight said heading for her balcony. "But something sounds wrong..." she cotinued.
"What made you think screaming at five in the morning was normal?" Spike shot back.

"Fluttershy! What do you want me to do?!" Woodwind yelled running through the house grabbing towels and pillows.
"Just... Just do something!"
"I don't know anything about birthing babies!" He yelled frantically.
"Well, you better learn quickly! Because I can feel it coming!" She screamed.
"Alright! I'll try." He said going to the end of the couch. "Now push!"

Twilight and Spike had decided to find out what was going on. They were walking down the empty streets of town when another scream ripped through the silence of the dawn.
"Uhh is it just me, or is that screaming coming from Fluttershy's place?" Spike asked.
"Maybe, but what on earth could be causing them such a-"
She remembered. "Oh no! Spike, go to the hospital, get some doctors and tell them to meet us at Fluttershy's cottage! And hurry!"
"Um ok." He said running off.

"How could she be in labor so early?" She thought.
"I'm on my way, guys." She said and ran as fast as she could.

"Keep pushing! You're doing great!" He assured. Quite frankly, he had no clue how she was doing. The baby was going to be premature, too, so he didn't know how it would do either.
Hell, he wasn't sure about anything at this point.
"I can see it! Keep pushing!" He said.
She let out another scream, and then it was over.
"What happened?" She asked, taking in deep ragged breaths. "Is it ok?!
Woodwind remained quiet as he wrapped the baby in the towel. He lightly cleared its face and body of the fluids.
The baby began to cough.
"Oh thank god!"
Woodwind finished drying the screaming newborn off. She was so small. Probably didn't way anymore than three pounds, easy.
"Is the foal ok?!" Fluttershy asked again in tears.
"She's fine." He said bringing her over.
She was the cutest little thing. A tiny pink mane covered her button face. She had a light green coat and the brightest blue eyes.
Fluttershy wrapped her in her arms with all the love and care in the world.
"Oh, she's beautiful!" She exclaimed, stroking the foals cheek.
"What should we name her?" He asked cleaning his hooves.
"I don't know. I thought we would of had at least 3 more months to figure this out." She admitted.
"Why not name her after my mother?" Woodwind joked.
"Do you even remember your mothers name?" Fluttershy asked giggling.
"Yea! It was Matilda!" He said laughing.
"Ummm, I don't think thats the best name..." Fluttershy said sheepishly.
The baby yawned and let out a few tiny squeaking sounds.
"Aww, now that was adorable." Woodwind said.
"She squeaked!" Fluttershy said awing at the tiny creature in her arm. It hit Woodwind like a brick to the face.
"Let's name her Squeak!" He said smiling.
"I like it..." Fluttershy smiled. "What do you think about the name?" she asked the newborn
The baby just yawned and fell asleep.
"Lets assume thats a yes, sweetie." He said laughing.

Twilight swung the door open and bolted into the house. "I heard the screaming and got here as soon as I-"
She was cut off by the scene. Woodwind was calmly picking up the dirty towels and bringing them to the washing bucket. Fluttershy was laying on the couch, cradling the foal.
"What did I miss?! Is everything ok? How's the baby!?" She said shaking Woodwind violently.
"Would you like to see her?" He asked as the violent shaking ceased.
Twilight smiled and walked to Fluttershy. The foal rolled over and continued sucking on her ittsy hoof.
"Awwww!" Twilight exclaimed as she leaned in closer.
"Hi Twilight," Fluttershy said quietly, "I want you to meet our little Squeak."

*****

"Quite the story there, Woody" Hairline sighed. "So what happened next?"
"Spike came in with the doctors, but we refused to go to the hospital. We didn't need to since they were both fine."
"I wish i had been there more for you guys." He admitted looking a little upset. "Ever since i started my job in Manehattan, I just haven't had the time to visit."
"Don't worry, it's fine." Woodwind said, patting his old friend on the shoulder. "You have your own life to live."
Hairline stood up, "Well, I better be getting back to Teeny. I don't want her to kill me any worse than she already is. Oh here, have another" He said handing him another cigarette smiling. "Take care of yourself, Woodwind." He said holding out a hoof. Woodwind put his hoof in his.
"You too old friend." He said, watching his friend go back inside.
He was now alone again in the freezing cold.
He lit the cigarette on the nearby light post and puffed.
He thought about what could have happened if he didn't succeed. He thought about the foals growing up without a mother, how he'd be hard pressed to take care of them and all her pets.
But thats not what happened.
He had done it. He had gotten the cure, passed the tests, and was now an untold element of harmony.
Not a bad few weeks.
He inhaled the last of the cigarette and trotted for the entrance. No matter what, he'd always be there for Fluttershy. Whether she needed a simple hug, or a journey across the world to save her, he'd never leave her side. And that was something he knew would always be true.

The

End

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment