• ...
 0
 601

Cold winter knight

Woodwind sat up and rubbed his head. He had no idea how far he fell, but he didn't seem any worse for wear.
"Squeak? Twilight?" He called out. Only his echos answered back.
He was all alone.
He stood and stretched his legs, and rubbed at the wounds on his neck.
But no wounds were there. "Hmm. Thats odd." He thought.
"Is it?" A deep voice asked from every direction.
Woodwind jumped. The voice had read his thoughts!
"Thats right." It continued. "Nothing is kept secret in the Cave of Power. Whatever you think or feel, i know about." It said.
"Who are you?" Woodwind asked, trying to find the source of the voice.
"I am your judgement." It answered back. "I have what you seek, but in order to gain it, you must pass my tests."
Woodwind thought, "Tests? What kind of tests?"
"Tests of both body and spirit." It bellowed. "But i do not expect you to pass."
Woodwind began to lose his patience.
"Just tell me what i have to do!" He yelled.
"Go through the cave to your left." The voice said. "Then we'll see if you are worthy."

Woodwind walked into the dark passage. His hoof-steps were loud, despite the small, confined space.
The tunnel opened into a large room. the floor was covered in fog and he couldn't see the ceiling. He stepped out of the tunnel and the large room morphed into an image of Equestrian past.
Princess Celestia came running through a chasm followed by Princess Luna. They both stopped as they got to Woodwind.
"You! Nave!" Shouted Luna. "Why art thou here? You are no warrior!"
Woodwind stood perplexed. "What do you mean?" He asked confused. Celestia walked forward.
"Thou art but a common Pegasus. Why hath thou come into the land of Shadow?" She asked.
"Land of shadow?" He thought "What is that?"
Luna answered his thought. "The land of Shadow is where the enemies of Equestria call home! We must ask of thee, young pegasi. Whilst thou aid us in our battle?"
Woodwind looked at the two regal sisters standing over him. They wore brilliant armor that seemed to meld perfectly to the curves of their regal bodies. But they were different than the two princesses he knew back home. What era in history was this?
"Whatever dost thou mean, "what era in history"?" Luna asked prying.
He cringed as he remembered that no thought was safe.
"No matter. What do you need my help with."
Celestia stepped forward. "What we ask of thee is nye easy. But to save Equestria, thou must agree."
"Anything." He said stepping forward. Luna continued where her sister left off.
"Thou must act as our diversion, so we may use our power to banish the darkness off the earth."
Woodwind smiled. "Sounds easy enough." He said
"Thou doth not understand the consequences of thy actions, young pegasi." Celestia said lowering her head.
"My sister speaks truth." Luna stepped in. "What we ask, will require your life."
Woodwind gulped. "Is there any other way?" He asked.
Celestia hung her head "Nay. thou wilt be caught in the blast. Thou shalt not survive."
Woodwind swallowed the rock in his throat. "I'll do it." he said.
The illusion warped into the two flying around the beasts.
Woodwind began to freefall.

He flapped his wings and righted himself. He looked down to see he was wearing some of the finest armor he'd ever laid eyes on. gems and crystals decorated its hard, black surface.
"Hurry, young pegesi!" Celestia yelled "If thou wishes to save thine home and family, thou must divert their attention from us so we may perform our spell!"
Woodwind glided towards the creatures with tremendous speed.
They were a horrifying mix of dragons, serpents, and other creatures he couldn't make out.
He looked over to see Luna and Celestia land at the top of the cliff, their horns glowing brighter as the spell gained power.

"Always gotta play the hero." He thought to himself. The creatures below threw balls of fire and lightning at him. All missing as he nimbly flew through the air.
"Thou art doing great, young Pegasi!" Luna yelled. "Stories shall be told of your bravery! Farewell!"
Woodwind braced himself.
Squeak and Twilight would continue the search fro the Feather Free flower in his absence. But Woodwind never turned his nose up to those who needed aid. especially the princess'.
A flash blinded Woodwind as the screams of the monsters below him filled the air.
Everything went black as he fell into emptiness.