• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 958 Views, 12 Comments

An Apple's Roots - Wolfe15

  • ...
 12
 958

Roots of an Apple

Ah trotted alongside mah ma and pa smiling widely as they followed me. Don’t remember. It was sunny today. So beautiful. Stop it. Ah sighed softly, a somber look on mah face. Ah trotted out of mah room and looked down the hall. As ah walked…memories….. Ma was helping me bake, her red fur was coated in flour and her golden hair was pulled back by a red bandana, a silly yet determined expression on her face… Pa was trying to clean Big Mac, silly colt had gotten himself into the apple cider again. Ah laughed softly, a hiccup really, since the tears were blurring mah vision and chokin’ mah throat. Ah continued down the hall then to the stairs, as ah passed the mirror in the hall ah found mah eyes drawn to mah reflection. Mah hair was up and mah Stetson was missing. Ah looked away before clearing mah head. “Applejack?” Ah looked up at mah brother before smiling weakly.

“Ah’m a’comin.” Ah said softly. Ah trotted after him, it was just after dawn. Ah looked out blinking lightly.

Ma was looking out, a scowl on her face. “Git yer ass over here Cider! Ah’mma tan yer hide if yew did anythin’ ta mah daughter!” Pa and Ah hid in the barn fer the whole day then when we got inside Ma refused to feed us. Granny just laughed while Big Mac freaked out, talkin’ a mile a minute to calm Ma down. Ah blinked out of mah memory and followed Big Mac outside then down the worn path.

“Applejack, Big Mac?” A soft voice said. Ah paused and looked back. Apple Bloom stood behind us. Her hair was pulled up for once, and her bow was as it should have been; as a bandanna around her neck. Ah smiled softly and motioned her over. She trotted over and ah nuzzled her before we took off once again. Silence blossomed between us and ah smiled lightly at the sky. Ma was singing to me since ah was sick. Ma was no medicine mare nor was she a mare that sat around doin’ nothin’, so she distracted herself by singin’. As ah snapped out of mah memory ah found we were at our apple cart; time ta sell some apples.

Work was going by fast, ponies wondered what we were dressed up for but we gave no clue, only short, sharp, answers. Ah was getting lunch a while later when ah felt a hoof on mah foreleg, ah looked down and found Apple Bloom. “What’s wrong?” Ah asked, a bit worried. She smiled weakly then looked down.

“Can you tell me bout ma and pa since….since…” Ah smiled weakly then ushered her to a table in the place was at.

“You wanna know bout ma and pa?” Ah asked tiredly. She nodded meekly and ah smiled a bit wider. Ah waited for our waiter to take our orders then began.

Ma and Pa were different than most ponies. Pa was a tall stallion with orange eyes, a straw colored mane and an orange coat, named after the cider he soon loved to make, Cider. Ma was a red coated mare with a golden mane and emerald eyes. Her name was Sweet Apple. Ma and Pa loved the farm more than anythin’ in the world. The only thing that came before the farm was family. Ma’s special talent was fixin’ and makin’ things, she made the yoke Big Mac wears, she made the plow we use on the farm….ma made everythin’. Pa’s special talent was his cider. His cider used to be special ordered for Princess Celestia herself! Ma and Pa were two special ponies. Ma taught me how ta bake, ta read and everything ah know now….Ah remember one time when my knowledge was a bit too much fer ma!


“MA!” I was a filly, runnin’ into the house, screamin’, and stumblin’ before crashing into the couch. Ma looked up from her readin’ to raise an eyebrow.

“Now look’it what yew did! Gone and hurt yerself!” She scolded, even as she lifted me up and looked at mah nose. Ah of course waved her off, back then Ah was a big filly, ah didn’t need ma worryin’ over mah nose. Ah was excited ta tell her bout a word ah’d learn. Ah took a seat and grinned widely.

“Ma! I learned a new word taday!” She looked so proud! She motioned fer me ta speak and Ah grinned wider.

“Buck!”


Apple Bloom laughed and ah chuckled lightly before finishing my sandwich. “Ma whipped me so hard ah thought my kester was gonna fall off, later she got pa fer screamin’ the work to the heavens when the plow broke.” Apple Bloom laughed louder before smiling softly.

“They sound amazing.” Ah nodded slowly then looked down at my hay fries in thought. It really wasn’t fair to Apple Bloom, never getting to meet them. “Applejack?”

“Hm?”

“How…..How’d they pass away?” Ah looked away then placed some bits on the table.

“Let’s walk and talk.” Apple Bloom nodded, lookin’ a bit nervous, jumping from her chair and trotting after me. Mah smile disappeared as the sun did, and ah found myself drawn into a memory.

Ma and pa were running, my own body draped across pas withers. “Don’t worry Jackie! Ah’mma get ya ta a doctor!” Pa yelled. Ah moaned pitifully, my side felt ready to burst from pain. Rain slick streets caused mah pa ta tumble. We hit the ground hard, but ma rushed forward and grabbed me in her mouth. “Get ta the hospital later Cider! Ah’ll get her their!” Pa nodded and ran back to the farm while ma took off for the hospital. Ah don’t remember much after that but the sound of a branch breaking….ma’s scream of pain and hitting the ground again….Ah heard pa’s yell….and…..and…. “Applejack?” Ah snapped out of mah memory to find mahself at the apple stand….crying. Ah wiped my eyes and smiled at Apple Bloom then Big Mac.

“Sorry…just thinkin.” Big Mac nodded and Ah looked to Bloom.

“Ah was a filly when Ah got some side pains, ah was real sick real fast…..so ma and pa rushed me to the hospital but….” Ah trailed off, remembering that horrible night. “B-But pa dropped me. Ma decided to take me but…..the storm we were in was real bad.” Ah stopped again then smiled tightly. “Ma got hurt and pa came back but…..but they….” I trailed off and looked away. Ah felt a hug and smiled at Bloom and Big Mac.

“Ah think we should go pay our respects.” Ah nodded to Big Mac and we left the marketplace.

The cemetery was always calm and peaceful. We trotted along the path we knew so well and as soon as we got to their tombstones we took a seat. “Hey ma….pa…..How are you?” Ah heard to my left from Apple Bloom. Ah smiled tightly then looked up, if they were watching Ah just wanted them to know Ah loved them so much and ah missed them just as much.


Time passes quickly when ya have work. Ah found mahself distracted from mah thoughts as the days turned to weeks, then months. Soon it was the rainy season and we were all cozy up in our house. Ah was doin’ my usual rounds ta Apple Bloom’s room, ah always check on her when the rain was comin’ down hard. Ah walked in and found her sleeping fitfully. Ah frowned and felt her head, gasping at the heat. A fever? Ah pressed my hoof into her side to wake her up when she screamed. Ah froze then yelled for Big Mac. Soon ah found mahself runnin’ at top speed down the path following Big Mac, my heart was in mah throat. Apendi…..apende….her side was burnin’ and she was burnin’ up. Big Mac was running faster than me, mah vision blurred by the rain. Ah yelled at the sky but nopony could hear me. Ah gritted mah teeth and pushed mahself harder ta catch up with Big Mac.

When Ah finally did, he fell. Mah stomach felt icy. Like….no…..NO! This was not gonna be like ma and pa! Ah scooped her up in mah mouth and ran. My lungs burned, my legs were slowly cramping, and ah was getting weary but Ah pushed mah limits. Apple Bloom needed a doctor! Ah was just past the gate when ah heard a sickening crack and looked up. The sign was falling. Ah did the only thing ah could think of…Ah tossed Apple Bloom away. Ah’m not gonna lie. Ah thought ah was dead but…..but ah was saved by a gust of wind. The wind was strong enough to push the sign, causing it to land on my foreleg. It was broken but Ah was still able ta run. “Applejack!” Ah looked up and Rainbow landed hard on the ground, worry written on her face. “Are you-“

“Apple Bloom!” Ah rushed over to the filly and grabbed her in mah mouth, running on three legs.

“Applejack! Give her to me! I can get her their faster!” Ah shook my head, mah brain didn’t register the help at the time. Rainbow must have gotten frustrated cause she picked me up and took off at her usual fast speed.

Ah sat in the waiting room for what felt like hours…. The smell of the hospital was making me feel sick. Ah looked up and found Big Mac glaring at me. “This is yer fault!” Ah flinched…ma and pa….were they okay?

“I-Is ma and pa….”

“Dead! It’s all yer fault!” Ah flinched and moved back in horror….d-dead? Ah stared at mah brother before running past him into the room. A white sheet covered their bodies and ah ran over to the bed. One of ma’s legs hung off the bed and ah tugged on it with mah mouth.

“M-Ma? Wake up ma.” Ma didn’t budge….ma wasn’t a heavy sleeper either. “M-Ma? Momma? Mommy? Ma! Ma! MA!” Ah was screaming and tugging, trying to wake her up. Ah….Ah was…..Big Mac was right….dead….Ah moved back in horror. Tears rolled down my muzzle, ah….ah was the reason they were dead. Ah curled up in a ball sobs wracking my body.

“Hush now….” Ah looked up and found ma was in front of me, well the mare looked like ma….and the one next to her looked like pa. Ma smiled softly and nuzzled me before pa placed his hat on mah head.

“Yer in charge of the farm now Applejack.” Pa said softly, ma smiled moving back.

“Take care of everyone okay?” Ah nodded then stood and watched as they turned away, a flash of bright light and they were gone…..truly gone. Ah sniffed then trotted out of the room, Granny hugged me tightly as soon as she saw me. Ah refused to look up. Ah was the reason Apple Bloom would never get to taste ma’s apple pie….feel pa’s laughter when you lay your head on his belly…hear ma’s scolding…..see pa’s face….or smell their scents. Ah moved away from Granny….A….Ah was at fault.

“Applejack?” Ah looked up from the ground then stood the best ah could, leaning against Rainbow. We waited as the unicorn looked over a file then grinned tiredly. “She’s gonna be alright. We operated as soon as she got her and were successful. You’re lucky you got her here when you did, a little longer and she’d have died.” Ah sighed in relief then took a seat, the doctor turning to Rainbow to tell her a few things. Ah smiled lightly then leaned against Rainbow, who wrapped a wing around me. As soon as the doctor left, Rainbow placed her muzzle on mah head.

“How are you feeling?” She asked. Ah chuckled, the pain from my broken limb finally deciding to bother me.

“Tired.” The door burst open to the hospital and Big Mac ran in with Granny on his back.

“Applejack!” He cried as soon as he saw me. Ah smiled back then waved, Rainbow held my upper body up. Big Mac put Granny down and she hugged me tightly before looking at me. Ah grinned and nodded to Apple Bloom’s room.

“She’s gonna be fine.” Granny sighed in relief then trotted in while Big Mac watched her.

“Applejack?”

“Hm?”

“Ah’m sorry.”

“Fer what?”

“……what Ah said the night ma and pa passed.” Ah looked at him in shock. To this day he had never apologized, our relationship a bit strained because he never forgave me for being sick. Ah smiled softly then nodded.

“Thank you Big Mac.” He nodded then trotted into the room. Rainbow looked at me worried as soon as Ah got up. Ah waved her off and limped down the hall, then out of the hospital. Ah needed some air.

Ah relaxed, the clouds were gone and Luna’s night sky was beautiful. Ah closed mah eyes then opened then when a hoof touched mah shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“Perfect Dash.” Dash sat next to me and we watched the stars twinkle and shine. Silence bloomed between us but no words were needed right now. Ah closed mah eyes to relax, but heard it. A heavenly voice singing. Ah looked around along with Dash until my eyes fell on a mare sitting on a bench under a tree with her husband, their heads resting one on top of the other. The mare was red coated, emerald eyed, and had a mane of gold. Her mane was pulled back with a white bandanna and she was singing. The stallion was orange coated, emerald eyed, and had a mane of straw. Ah smiled with tears in my eyes. “M-Ma? P-Pa?” The mare stopped singing and the stallion smiled at me.

“A-Applejack?” Ah heard Dash stutter out.

“Ma? Pa?” Ah repeated, no longer paying attention to Dash. Ah stood to go over but fell. Ah was helped up and looked to see Dash was staring at the spirits with her head held high, no fear in her eyes. “D-Dash….can you-?”

“Don’t worry! I’ll help you.” She said softly, interrupting me. We slowly made our way to them and they got up, meeting us half way. We were silent for a bit before ma pulled me into a hug.

“Mah little apple farmer.” She whispered against my cheek. Tears rolled down my own muzzle as ah hugged her back then pa pulled me into a hug.

“We’re so proud of you Applejack. We love you.”

“A-Ah love you too….both of you….” They smiled, nodding before turning away. Ah wanted to stop them but….ah think ah proved ah could take care of mahself. With a flash they were gone and ah leaned heavily on Dash. “Let’s go inside?”

“Sure.” Dash said quietly, helping me up and we began to walk towards the door.

“Dash?”

“Yeah?”

“D-Did you see them too?” Dash smiled lightly as we came to the door and looked back. Ah followed her line of sight and watched the tree’s leaves rustle in the wind.

“Yeah….Yeah I did. T-They really loved you.” Ah blinked in shock at the words then smiled before leaning against her.

“Thank you Dashie.” Ah looked up and smiled as Dash blushed.

“Shut up A.J.” We took a final look behind us then walked inside.


Author's note: Just something to help me get out of my writers funk. I'm redoing Learning to Love: Wedding Bell Blues so expect something new and something exciting. WOLFE, OUT!

Comments ( 12 )

Aside from the southern accent being used instead of actual words. I found this story very enjoyable. (I'm not saying it took away from it in an objective sense, I am just one of those people who is an a hole about misused/spelled words, but since it was used intentionally, i can't find anything not to like.)

Good work.

So Applejack's parents died getting her to a hospital when she suffered appendictis and now Applejack and Big Mac nearly died when Applebloom suffered the same thing, dang Big Mac had better not suffer it too or else I don't what might happen, even if the two occassions were a conidence. :ajsleepy:

794386 Lol they'd have a big problem is Big Mac got it.

794530 Like I said they'd better hope the same thing dosen't happen to him. :applejackunsure:

798586 From what I know there's no age limit as to when you can get it, so Big Mac or even Granny Smith can still be at risk for it, my mom told me it depends on whether or not any members of your family have had to have their appendix removed, but that's about all I know. :twistnerd:

798614 I think by now he would have had it out but that doesn't say anything bout Granny Smith.....hint hint......

798633 Oh I see the only stallion of the group is probably safe but not Granny Smith since she's a mare. :ajsleepy:

801819 I'm off to cackle!

803269 Well to be honest Big Mac is not entirely out of the woods and he never will be, the deciding factor might be wheter any male members of the Apple family had to have it removed. :eeyup:

803299 Lol I don't know yet. I'll probably write a small story about Big Mac's journey.

Login or register to comment