• Published 23rd Apr 2016
  • 832 Views, 8 Comments

Her Ultimate Rise, Her Greatest Downfall - Dusk_Writer



They thought their friendship would last an eternity, but not all expectations became realities…

  • ...
10
 8
 832

It's Over

The sun was shining brightly outside Canterlot Castle and you could see ponies bustling about, having important meetings, or just wanting to go somewhere. The Wonderbolts were one of these ponies, flying overhead of the citizens of Canterlot.

They were flying in a V-formation consisting of Captain Spitfire, Co-Captain Soarin, Fleetfoot, Rainbow Dash and High Winds. They aimed for the Royal Castle, home to Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and now, the home of Princess Twilight—one of the new rulers of Equestria since one and a half years ago.

Thee Wonderbolts were visiting the Royal Palace because they needed to discuss their show for the Summer Sun Celebration in Canterlot.

They all landed in front of the Royal Guards, each showing them their identification cards allowing them access to inside the palace. They trotted inside and got nods by the Guards as they passed, finally reaching the Throne Room.

Rainbow Dash took a shaky breath as the doors to the Throne Room started to open. She didn't want to be there, but Spitfire had insisted. After all, she was one of the elite members. Soarin looked towards Dash and put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Are you sure you're ready for this?” He asked in concern. Dash’s eyes met Soarin’s. He could see many emotions, anger, guilt, regret, sadness, but most of all, fear. Fear of what was to come, fear of how Twilight would react, fear if she could control her emotions.

“I hope so. After all, I haven't seen her in two years…” Dash’s ears flopped down, but then she looked forward with a determined gaze. “But, I'll manage.” Soarin smiled and hugged her.

“Good luck,” he said simply, releasing her from the hug.

I'll need it, Dash thought.

“Thanks…” she said as they entered the Throne Room. It was as she remembered, except now they had three thrones instead of one. The one in the middle was Princess Celestia’s, the one one the left was Princess Luna’s and the one in the right was…Twilight’s. They instantly saw two of the three thrones occupied. Celestia and Twilight were sitting and quietly talking to each other but stopped as they saw the Wonderbolts enter.

The Wonderbolts all stood in front of the two princesses and saluted.

“At ease,” Celestia nodded.

“Ma’am,” Spitfire address Princess Celestia. “We got your message asking perform at the Summer Sun Celebration in Canterlot and we would be honoured. I brought my best with me to discuss our routines, positions and timings according to your liking.”

“Most excellent,” Celestia smiled. “What do you think Twilight?”

No response.

“Twilight?” She looked at the lavender Alicorn but she saw her looking towards the Wonderbolts. She traced her eyes to where Twilight was looking and saw Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow Dash! It's been a while. How lovely to see you've finally joined the Wonderbolts!” Celestia smiled towards her. Rainbow Dash internally groaned as she was hoping the princess didn't address her at all.

“Mmhm,” was all Celestia got as a response. She raised an eyebrow and glanced at Twilight who was still staring at Dash.

“So, did Twilight tell you she earned the title of most powerful Mage in Equestria last month?” Celestia asked.

“How would I know? She hasn't talked to us for more than two years.” Dash gritted her teeth staring at Twilight as well.

“Dash…” Soarin started. Dash stared at her a moment longer but then shook her head.

“Ya know what? Just-just forget it. Our friendship ended when she started to downright ignore us. You were saying…your highness?” She looked towards Celestia who was looking at Twilight in an almost disappointed gaze. Twilight broke her gaze as well and rolled her eyes.

“Right…um, moving on,” she regained her composure, “I was thinking, you five could perform the Lunar Shower and the Twilight Eclipse?” Spitfire blinked.

Both of them? Princess…that would take quite a bit of practice since we haven't performed the former for…years!” She exclaimed.

“Yes, I understand that. Which is exactly why I’m informing you early and am giving you the privilege to use the Royal gym and the Canterlot Arena for your practices.”

“Hmm…I guess it's worth a shot…but I promise we won't let you down princess!” Spitfire saluted.

“Good. Now, Rainbow Dash, I understand your friends will be attending and I wondered if they could manage the celebration…?” Celestia asked.

“What do you…?” Then realisation hit, “oh! I'm sure they'd loved to! Rarity would probably design your dresses.” Dash smiled while rolling her eyes.

“…but, we've never worn any dresses…” Celestia furrowed her brow.

“All the more reason for her to,” Dash chuckled.

“They're gonna be there?” Twilight asked stepping forward looking at her once again.

“Why do you care?” Dash snorted.

“Of course I care! You're my friends!” Twilight said now face to face with Dash. “Don't you—”

Dash’s anger from years ago bubbled up to the surface and she lost it.

None of them had a chance to blink as a cyan hoof met the Alicorn's face stopping her mid-sentence.

Everything stopped as they all stared at the two ponies; one glaring and one in shock.

Even the guards didn't interfere as they stared with their mouth agape that somepony had slapped the most powerful Mage in Equestria, someone who could turn her into smithereens within seconds.

Finally, the guards snapped out of their trance and went forward to grab Rainbow Dash, but a white hoof stopped them. Celestia shook her head and looked back at the two mares.

“How dare you!” Dash hissed, “you talk like everything’s ok, that you didn't ignore us for two whole years, that you didn't respond to Granny Smith’s funeral invite, that you didn't attend Rarity’s wedding!” Dash choked, “you weren't there when Ponyville was almost destroyed, you weren't there when Fluttershy broke out of her shell and opened up her own vet, you weren't there when Rarity opened up her boutique across Equestria and you weren't there when I became a Wonderbolt!!” She breathed heavily with a few tears squeaking out.

“It may not seem like a big deal to you Twilight, but we were heartbroken! Rarity and Pinkie almost left Ponyville forever because they thought there was nothing was left for them there, but we told them that even though you were gone didn't mean we would. I'm in the Wonderbolts Twi…light and I don't get to decide my own day off but I still make the effort. I write letters and visit from time to time. But you? Your princess life suddenly became more important than us that you cut all connections! You know I'm—was the element of loyalty and I still value it more than anything. Here, you were anything but loyal and that's where I stopped reaching out to you.” Rainbow Dash wiped her tears and bowed to Celestia.

“Your Highness,” she then looked at Twilight, unflinching. “Twilight Sparkle.” She turned her head away and ran. Past the guards, past the halls, past the west wing to a balcony…and cried.

Soarin looked towards the doors where Rainbow Dash had ran, then to Spitfire and then to Princess Celestia. He bit his lip and ran after her.

Dash didn't know what to think. She thought she had moved on but…she couldn't. She was happy, her friends were happy…then why?

Because you're loyal to the core, a tiny voice said in her head.

You're loyal

Loyal

Loyal

LOYA—

“Rainbow?” Soarin poked his head out of the balcony doors. He spotted her instantly and walked inside slowly, closing the door behind him.

Dash quickly rubbed her eyes to hide her tears and looked towards him.

“Y-yeah?”

“Are you ok?” He asked sitting down next to her. The answer was obvious but he felt like she wanted to talk.

“Yeah, I'm fine.” She put on a fake smile. Soarin flattened his brow.

“…seriously?”

“Ok, fine. I'm not.” Dash sighed. He put a hoof on her shoulder.

“You wanna talk about it?” He asked.

“Well, I thought I had moved on but,” Dash looked him, “it's been my friends and I—including Twilight—for three years before she became a princess. It all happened gradually yet all so fast. After a month of her coronation the visits stopped, after two the letters stopped too. We waited for her, looking for some sign that she still thought about us…but she moved on. We moved on in time as well, but we didn't stop thinking about her. What if? Is the question still in my mind, because how do you forget someone you knew for three years? Who was like a sister? Who we saved bloody Equestria with?!” She pounded a hoof on the ground, the tears flowing from her eyes once again.

Soarin reached forward and hugged her tightly…she needed one right now…


It was time for the Summer Sun Celebration and the Wonderbolts took their place getting ready to perform the Lunar Shower as Princess Luna set the moon and the Twilight Eclipse as Princess Celestia rose the sun.

“You guys ready?!” Spitfire yelled from the front of the formation ready on the ground as Princess Luna started to lower the moon

“Ready!!” The rest of the team yelled back.

3…

Dash smiled, that encounter with Twilight left her shaky but with some encouragement from her fellow Wonderbolts, she held up alright. But, not even that could take this moment away from her, she had come so far.

She looked at the crowd and saw her friends cheering. They had catered and managed the whole celebration with some of the castle maids help, though they hadn't got time to talk at all.

2…

Maybe later, but now she had a show to perform. Dash licked her lips and put her goggles on.

1…

She spread her wings as she felt the adrenaline.

GO!!

They all took off, the wind blasting in their faces…this was going to be an amazing performance indeed.


“Oh my gosh, Dash!! That was…amazing!!!!” Pinkie squealed as Dash finished the performance and landed off to the side near her friends.

“Thanks guys! It was quite a workout though!” Dash said panting, “but, the celebration looks awesome! You guys outdid yourselves this time!”

“Aw, thanks sugarcube,” Applejack said.

“So, where's your hubby Rares?” Rainbow teased. Rarity playfully rolled her eyes.

“Oh, he's back in Ponyville, had some important work to take care of.”

“So, um, I really don't mean to ruin this moment, but, uh, d-did you…see T-twilight?” Fluttershy asked meekly. Rainbow gritted her teeth.

“Yeah I saw her. It wasn't pleasant either,” she scoffed.

“Oh my! What ever happened dear?” Rarity asked in concern.

“Oh ya know, Twilight acting so damn casual after seeing me after two years!” Dash stomped a hoof on the ground.

“Woah there sugarcube!” Applejack put a hoof on her shoulder, “what did you do?” She looked down and sighed.

“I slapped her,” they gasped. “Sorry…it's just, been awhile ya know?” Though still shocked, they regained their composure quickly.

“Of course we do, we all feel the same way…” Fluttershy said hiding her face behind her mane. Even the normally cheerful Pinkie looked on sadly as she had nothing to say to make everypony smile.

Without a word they all came forward in a group hug, knowing that at least this moment couldn't be taken away from them.

Or so they thought…

“Ahem. Am I interrupting anything?” The five friends broke off from the hug and saw a lavender alicorn towering over them with an eyebrow raised.

“As a matter of you are!” Rarity stomped a hoof in anger. Twilight ignored the remark and looked at each pony and then locking her eyes on Dash.

“That slap really hurt you know?” She said softly, touching her cheek, “you've become stronger too.”

“Yeah, well it was supposed to,” Rainbow rolled her eyes. Twilight looked down, her mane almost touching the ground as it had become very long.

“Listen, guys I'm…sorry. I…forgot my morals, I forgot my home, the sight of something great made me…only focus on it and I would do anything to get it and I have. That slap which you gave me that day, made me think about it all…I'm so sorry!” She looked up back at them with regret in her eyes.

Dash suddenly stepped forward a hoof raised, Twilight quickly shut her eyes expecting to get slapped again but it never came. Instead she felt the hoof on her shoulder. Slowly she opened her eyes and saw Dash with the same frown on her face.

Even with the regret in Twilight's eyes, Rainbow still saw that steel in them that time had built with no emotion.

She didn't fall for it.

“Listen well Twilight Sparkle, a simple apology will not gain my trust back, what you did to us was heartbreaking and I don't know about them,” she pointed at the rest of the girls, “but I will never forgive you! You hear me? Never!” Dash turned around and walked away.

She walked to the Royal Garden and sat next to the pond and sighed.

Her ears twitched as she heard the galloping of hooves coming from the direction of the fair. She perked up and saw the rest of the girls, minus Twilight, running towards her.

Pinkie Pie was the first to reach her as she leapt forward and hugged her tightly, the rest following suit. Dash yelped as she was surrounded by her friends in a warm embrace but quickly smiled as she realised something important.

One of the biggest reasons she couldn't let Twilight of her mind was that she was afraid the same would happen with the rest. But now, in the warmth of her friends, she knew that they wouldn't ever leave her…

Comments ( 8 )

Hmm... nope. I can't like this. Sure, it's written nicely, but I can't get over how contrived the plot is. Twilight simply "forgetting" her friendships? Nope, I don't buy it. Twilight is way out of character simply for the sake of plot convenience.

7156675 well, thank you for giving me your honest opinion. :twilightsmile:

I tried to keep Twilight in character but it's hard to since what I'm doing is literally not in her personality. I tried my best without changing the plot, but it wasn't working out. So I did what I could.

7156675 "Twilight is way out of character simply for the sake of plot convenience." So what?

wow!! you made that coverart yourself?!? looks very nice! and the story is good too!! :scootangel:

Im confused to how they would lose complete contact within two months but this is a nice story, I like the plot owo.

But seriously, I just cannot imagine Twilight doing this in the real show XD

7427559 Glad you enjoyed it!

A month may seem like a short amount of time but, a lot can happen in that time. As her royal life got busier, she accidentally cut all connections but was fully aware of it (if that makes sense.).

Login or register to comment