• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 182 Views, 0 Comments

Canterlot Nights - Qwaserz



An assortment of stories set in the city of Canterlot.

  • ...
 0
 182

Revolutionary

It’s been over a century since the birth of the newest alicorn. To say that Equestria had undergone an exponential growth of sorts would be a vast understatement. Technological advancements were popping up everywhere in the world and there was no indication of it ever stopping. This, of course, baffled the princesses of Equestria. Equestria’s development had been seemingly stagnant for millennia, with only a few special cases such as the creation of locomotives. Now? There were several methods of traveling to the other side of the world in under an hour. The locomotive serves no purpose today. The once famous Friendship Express sat in a museum at Canterlot for historical purposes. In other words, it was nothing more than a tourist attraction—very pretty to look at.

Cities around the world struggled to expand in order to accommodate the growing population. A hundred years ago, the city of Canterlot was known as the city on the mountain. Today, it is known as the Golden Mountain. Simply because the city structure completely encompassed the mountain with its radiance. It was literally a shining beacon representing the entirety of Equestria.

But the thing that amazed the princesses the most was the ingenious creation of magitech. A unique tool that anyone—be it earth pony, pegasus, unicorn, even those with disabilities—could utilize magitech to fulfill their needs. The new field of combining magic and technology opened a whole new world of possibilities. An earth pony wanted to fly like a pegasus? Sure, there were extremely complex spells that could grant that pony’s wish, but even magic had its limits. Spells usually become unreliable over a short period of time and can be easily disrupted by outside forces—a simple mistake could cost the life of a pony. However, create a pair of mechanical wings, enchant and power with magic, and you have an instrument of flight anyone can use that is capable of withstanding tornados.

Magitech was innovating and world-changing. It improved and saved the lives of many ponies. Rumors of magitech saving the princesses’ lives on multiple occasions weren't considered far-fetched.

It was revolutionary—a pain in the flank for the authorities. Regulating all magitech is nigh impossible because it's incredibly difficult to keep up with all the new developments that supposedly appear out of thin air. So the biggest mystery is where it originated—who was the pony responsible for these creations?


The faint sound of ringing woke me from my slumber. The darkness surrounding me made everything seem hazy. I lay on the concrete waiting for the haze to pass but to no avail.

“Uh’m...wha’m ‘app’nd?” Hah! At least I was coherent enough to mumble a few syllables!

The darkness wouldn’t leave me, so I figured I’d just continue to wait for...something, but that ringing kept pestering me like a noisy insect that wanted nothing more than to see you suffer. Alarm bells went off in my head. No, wait. The alarms were ringing!

Alarms meant there’s trouble and that I couldn’t stay here, so I attempted to rise from the cold ground. The moment I did so, I felt something like sharp nails stabbing through my side—which I recognized as pain—and my hooves gave out under me.

My teeth clenched as I hissed from the pain. I felt throbbing on my left side. Ignoring the discomfort, I extended my left wing and the sight made me nauseous. It was difficult to see in the dark, but the faint glistening red on my feathers confirmed it. Several small gashes ran underneath my wing, contrasting against my electric blue fur. Blood. My blood. I was bleeding.

A bang. An explosion. Alarms and lots of shouting. Breaking glass. The haze in my head had left, fear took its place. I remembered being chased by ponies, but for reasons I couldn’t recall. The alarms were still ringing in the distance and I noticed a few lights surrounding the abandoned district drawing closer. I had to make a decision, pronto.

I briefly reflected on what I knew. I’m certain that I played a role in this situation—that was obvious. There were ponies searching the area, most likely guards. What could I do? I glanced at my wings. I don’t think that I’m capable of moving too far—the pain flared again as soon as I acknowledged it.

A sense of dread hung in the air. No, wait, that was just a cold breeze. I scanned the lifeless night sky and what I saw frightened me. Pegasi with spotlights flew above buildings illuminating the dark district. One pony, in particular, was headed towards my direction.

I didn’t know what they’d do if they found me. Maybe I’d receive help and medical attention. Or perhaps earn a ticket straight to the dungeons for not paying my taxes. I shook my head. I needed to do something. Anything.

A glint caught my eye. There! A few hooves away from me was a metallic object. It was beyond my reach, so I had to stand up in order to inspect it further. I gasped as I pressured my left wing against my side, hoping that it would slow the bleeding. Approaching the object, its shape resembled a wide bracelet designed for hooves with several tiny cylinders fastened around the edges—mechanical parts. It seemed familiar. I reached out with my right forehoof, but the moment I touched the weird bracelet, patterns appeared and began to glow soft blue across the metal. I recognized the patterns as runes. The moment was short-lived, however, because the bracelet became red-hot and clamped above my fetlock. My eyes widened in shock as the metal attached to my right foreleg. Surprisingly, I felt no pain despite the red glow, at least, in my hooves. Patterns flashed through my mind.

Then a light from above shone towards my exact position. I froze. Discovering the purpose of this strange bracelet could wait. For all I knew, it could just be a shiny trinket with a mind of its own. I turned to face the approaching pony and squinted against the blinding light.

I heard a clang as metal hooves met concrete. The intensity of the spotlight diminished enough so that I could see the pony in front of me. The pony glared at me with a rather frightening scowl. I assumed she was female because of her curvy figure and short muzzle, but the most prominent features were her eyes and wings. Feline and bat-like, respectively. She wore royal purple metal shoes along with armor that covered her chest to thighs. A bat pony. One of the Princesses’ guards.

Then she spoke, growling all the while, “On your stomach. Now.”

Now, I’m not dense. I immediately knew from her posture alone that my well-being was not in their best interests. Complying with her would likely spell disaster for me. I needed to stall and gather more information before I could make another decision. So I tried my best to act innocent. “Wh-who?” I looked around the deserted street, as if searching for the pony she had addressed, and pointed at myself. “Me?” I mentally facehoofed. Lamest act ever.

She lifted a forehoof, pointing at me. “Funny,” she snarled. “You have five seconds. Down. Now. On your stomach.” She held an odd looking cylinder device that seemed vastly familiar.

I fell into a stupor as flashes of images went through my mind. They were blueprints of the device the bat pony held. Patterns flowed. The stupor passed.

“Two.” She counted. The device hummed, the end directed at me glowed softly.

I shook my head, fighting the remnants of my stupor, and abruptly waved my hooves. My sides didn’t like that, so they decided to remind me of the pain underneath my wing. I tried my best to ignore it, but I couldn’t help the grimace on my muzzle. “Wait! What do you need me for?” I asked, confused out of my mind.

She eyed me for a moment, obviously perplexed. Or maybe she thought I wasn’t worth her time and contemplated whether or not I should be killed on the spot. I don’t know mares. I shivered. Her stare creeped me out.

The pony blinked. “You have information that we need,” she admitted in a monotone voice. “Willingly or not, you will come with us,” she said matter-of-factly. The device still glowed, albeit brighter.

“I don’t know anything!” Well, that was false. I knew now that these ponies wouldn’t kill me outright—at least until they got what they needed.

“Four. You know the location of the Innovator.”

I moved to respond, but I hesitated. Innovator? That name. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.

And she didn’t miss my hesitation.

Before I realized what she intended to do, I heard a loud brief crack. The device on her hoof had fired a short beam of light towards me. My eyes widened and I stood ramrod straight as the beam advanced at an extremely rapid pace.

Then something unexpected happened. Dozens of patterns, runes, appeared from thin air to form a miniature hexagonal barrier in front of me. The beam didn’t impact the barrier like one would expect it to. It absorbed the energy. This event, of course, left us both in a catatonic state.

She was the first to react. The bat pony snarled and flared her wings in anger, charging the weapon in her hoof once more.

More runes appeared. The patterns burned a bright blue above the bracelet on my hoof. Instincts took control over my body and I yelled something out in a language I didn’t understand. The barrier shot forward, faster than the beam she fired. I saw the expression on her face morph to one of surprise, then she flung backward as it struck her chest. The sound of glass breaking reached my ears as the bat pony crashed through a window behind her.

Shield spell. I summarized. An immensely flexible one. The runes slowly faded out of existence and the glow around the bracelet died out. My vision blurred while I waited for my mind to comprehend what had happened. Huh, so this bracelet has magic? Then the pain from before returned, along with its best friend—headaches.

I sat there for a moment. Kneading my head, hoping that the action would ease the aching. Unfortunately, no such thing happened. A groan brought me out of my misery and I looked towards where the bat pony had fallen. Surely the guard, or whoever she was, thought to inform her companions beforehand? If not, then she must’ve been one incompetent guard. Though, I couldn’t stay here for long. She’d probably awaken in a minute or so.

I stood. Where could I go? Obviously I couldn’t move much because I was still injured. I surveyed the area. The district looked very...industrial. There weren’t many buildings, as large abandoned factories and warehouses comprised the majority of the district. The lighting was poor because numerous street lanterns had died out. I presumed that many years had passed since the last time this particular district received any sort of maintenance.

I sighed in disappointment. I needed help and it seemed that the nearest ponies wanted nothing more than to detain me. I briefly entertained the idea of examining the guard for that weapon of hers, yet I didn’t want to linger here any longer. I scanned the lifeless night sky. I don’t know what devices they had available or stored in their arsenal, but more guards were probably headed towards my location.

I glanced at the bracelet, wondering what other secrets it held. If this could protect me, then I’d better hold onto it. I took off in a random direction, limping all the while.

Author's Note:

This was fun to write. I think it would be great as a stand-alone story.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment