• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 9,117 Views, 2,876 Comments

The Perilous Romance of Swans - kudzuhaiku



And lo, there was much honking and rejoicing in Canterlot when Princess Celestia announced that she had a suitor...

  • ...
53
 2,876
 9,117

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59

Alone, Gosling paced through Celestia’s chambers, fearful and bored. Celestia had gone off to have a private word with her sister, words that could not be said in front of him. Night had fallen, and there were fears that this might feel like the longest night since Nightmare Moon. Darkness and uncertainty shrouded the land.

Reports were sporadic and unpleasant. The only thing known for certain was that Princess Cadance would be arriving before the dawn. The Crystal Empire, ruled by Empress Mi Amore Cadenza, was not burdened by modernity and was a thousand years behind the times. Changes were coming, sure, but change was slow and the crystal ponies resisted change. They were content to have an Empress. With Empress Mi Amore Cadenza’s word being law, the Crystal Empire seemed totally unaffected by the current problems facing Equestria. She owned the land, the demesne, and she owned the ponies that lived on the land. She owned everything. She owned the businesses, the homes, the public buildings; everything belonged to her.

A thousand years of progress felt dangerous by comparison and Gosling had trouble discerning what his feelings were on the issue. On one hoof, absolute rule prevented a lot of disturbances. On the other hoof, he rather valued his own personal freedoms. The problem, as Gosling saw it, was that once you took a step in one direction or the other, one invited all manner of troubling issues to take place, troubling issues that had to be addressed and dealt with.

Perhaps it was time for the sisters to put their hoof down and temporarily take control. Absolute control. Thinking about this left Gosling feeling unsettled. He trusted them both to do the right thing, but the thought of them actually doing it, it left a bad taste in his proverbial mouth.

No matter what happened next, the future was uncertain. Something had to be done. Something unpleasant. Mister Mariner sought to force the sisters into making an unpleasant decision, and he had. The only thing that Gosling knew for certain was, he was on Shining Armor’s side on the issue of public execution. An example had to be made.

Or perhaps, he would feel different by morning.

He needed a distraction. He looked around, feeling trapped and useless. He was a very pretty bird in a very pretty cage and right now, being pretty wasn’t very useful. He saw a book beside Celestia’s bed, a book bound in blue. He walked over, extended his wing, and picked the book up. Eyes narrowing, he took a look at the cover.

Foalhood Development: Standards and Practices.

Huh. Seemed like a common enough book for a headmistress of a school to be reading. He caught a whiff of Celestia’s scent on the book and realised that he missed her. He held the book up to his nose and sniffed, inhaling as much of the Celestia scented air as he could. It smelled of her perfume… and of something else… her musk.

The smell left him feeling lightheaded. He couldn’t figure out why a book would smell somewhat musky. One eyebrow arched and Gosling cast a curious glance around the room. He sniffed again and had the temptation to lick the book. After another glance around the room, he opened the book up to have a look and began reading.

Almost right away, his brain felt fuzzy and his eyes glazed over as he read what was certainly the most lurid description of mounting a mare that he had ever encountered. It was graphic, it was detailed, and it was from the mare’s perspective. The description about feeling full, of fearing that she would be split in half, it was almost too much. It was difficult to hold a book and keep reading when you were fighting a wingboner. He flipped the page and discovered that the book had pictures. Not illustrations, but pictures. Oh, did the book ever have pictures. Pictures from above and below. From behind. From every conceivable angle. Gosling felt his belly go sweaty and his wings trembled, making it very difficult to hold on to the book.

“Well, this is most awkward.”

Turning his head, Gosling saw a very pleased looking Luna and a mare that could be mistaken for Celestia, except that she was very, very pink. From ear to hoof, no less. He felt his mouth open, but it also went as dry as the desert, making it impossible for him to speak.

“The handsome prince has discovered his Lady Fair’s stash of pornographic pictures and prose. It would also appear that the handsome prince is adequately hung.” Luna’s lips pursed together and then she made a popping sound. “Well then, will you have a look at that. He has a matching little white spot, just like he does between his ears.”

Gosling snapped the book shut and set it back down where he had found it. He cast a guilty look at Celestia, not knowing what to say, but knowing that their relationship would be forever changed. This wasn’t even a romance novel, this was pure smut, through and through. He could feel Luna’s eyes on him. She wasn’t even trying to look away. She was looking at his Gosle-Nozzle… his gooseneck.

Something about how Luna was looking at him made him feel self conscious. Gosling shuffled on his hooves and looked Luna in the eye. “So, have there been any reports? I’m dying to know something… anything. Is there any sort of good news?”

Nothing but sputtering came from Celestia, who could not talk. Gosling understood how she felt. One time, his mother had found his porn stash. There had been a long, embarrassing discussion about reality versus fantasy, and how mares were to be treated. He supposed that even if you were an immortal sun princess who ruled an increasingly ungrateful nation, it was embarrassing to have your secret stash of porn discovered.

“We have some dear, dear friends in Manehattan,” Luna began, “who have been working to restore order. Foul magic is at work. It appears as though the crowds of riots were stirred up by both agitators and ponies under the influence of a command spell of some advanced nature. They are working to counteract that. Wardens have been dispatched, but there are too few of them. It will be a long, bloody night for some.”

“But we can fix it, right? Make things right? Make things better?” Gosling’s voice was a low, worried whisper.

“We shall have to draw out Mister Mariner’s influence like a thorn and remove whatever magic he used to assist him, but yes, I think we can fix this. The long term effects however, will be painful for everypony.” Luna shook her head. “‘Tis so difficult, to regain trust once lost… a lesson I know all too well.”

“My book… my book had protection… it had protective wards,” Celestia stammered as her ears turned an even brighter shade of pink. “It was supposed to look like a normal book… Gosling… I… you weren’t… I didn’t mean—”

“I removed them.” Luna looked up at her sister and then let out a faint, breathy chuckle.

“You fiend!” Celestia gasped in shock at her sister’s words.

Rolling her eyes, Luna shook her head. “Gosling doesn’t seem too bothered by your perversions, dear sister. In fact, I suspect that he will be willing to indulge you in some of your… quirkier fantasies. Besides, a mare shouldn’t keep secrets from her husband. I’ve only recently decided that this is a wise course of action.”

“You little—”

“Oh hush,” Luna said to Celestia. “I plan to tell him my secrets too. As many as he can stomach. And we’ll all be a happy, well adjusted family, who all attend therapy together.”

“I need some air,” Celestia, who was still a very bright shade of pink all over, stomped off to the double doors that opened up onto the balcony, leaving behind a very smug and pleased looking little sister behind her.

As Celestia walked past, Gosling got a whiff of her, and he decided that he needed some air himself. He hurried after her, having to walk double-step to keep up with her much longer stride. At some point, they would have to talk about this, and it would be awkward.


Tilting his head, Gosling looked up at the constellation known as Poet’s Tears. In Manehattan, it was almost impossible to see the stars, because of the bright lights and the pollution. The air was cold, the night was clear, and each breath drawn into his lungs was refreshing.

Celestia stood beside him, also looking upwards, and Luna stood on his other side, looking downwards. Nopony was saying much of anything, and Gosling understood why. The silence had become so thick that it could be cut with a knife. He realised that it fell upon his back to get the sisters talking to one another again.

“So, uh, I couldn’t help but notice—”

Celestia winced as Gosling spoke and her wings fluttered.

“—that the uh, book had a remarkably detailed description of being mounted—”

As Gosling spoke, Celestia chewed on her lip.

“—and it was quite, uh, aggressive,” Gosling finished.

“Because of her height, she has a mounting fetish. She dreams about it often and fantasises about it frequently,” Luna said in a soft voice that held no sarcasm, no laughter, indeed, it was surprising how sombre she sounded. “She is Sol Invictus, The Unconquered Sun. She is the Mountain of Morning.”

“So, uh, because of how tall she is…” Gosling’s words trailed off when he realised that Celestia was looking at him. He couldn’t tell what she was feeling. He felt smaller somehow, and she seemed taller. She was feeling something though, her mane and tail whipped about in an agitated manner.

“Oh, come now, dear sister,” Luna said in a soft, velvety voice to her sibling. “Oh, very well… I suppose fair is fair…” Luna drew in a deep breath, sighed, and then made a stunning confession. “Sometimes, I place clamps upon mine teats and deny mineself orgasms after hours of stimulation… to, you know, punish myself. It makes me sleep better. Sometimes.”

Both Gosling and Celestia stared at Luna, wide eyed.

“Sometimes, I want a pony to whip me, beat me, and make me write bad checks.”

Celestia and Gosling’s eyes grew wider.

Celestia lowered her head down next to Gosling’s ear and whispered, “You have my permission… but no bad checks.” She shook her head in disapproval as she spoke the last part.

“Tragedy,” Luna said, ignoring the exchange between her sister and her soon to be husband, “it brings ponies together. This night will be awful, but eleven months from now, we will see a glut of births. Friends will be made. Lovers will find comfort with one another. All of this will blow over and there will be those whose lives were made better from this. Even we shall benefit from this.”

“Um… maybe?” Gosling didn’t feel wise enough to make a worthy response.

“We shall have to sort out our feelings later.” Luna lifted her head and let out another weary sigh. She looked over at Celestia and Gosling with wide eyes of her own. “A mob bearing fire approaches the castle. We are about to have visitors…”


Gosling landed beside Celestia in the courtyard. Already, Luna was talking to the guard, trying to get a feel for what was going on. More soldiers were gathering and clustered near the gate. He sensed that violence was imminent. Violence was the one thing that Gosling hoped to avoid. The memory of the train fight was still fresh in his mind.

A flash distracted him. He jerked his head to one side, looking for the source. He saw Seville. Of course Seville was here taking photos, how could he not be? He looked up at Celestia, then at Luna, then back at Celestia.

He knew what he needed to do, and it terrified him. He felt his balls prickle with fear and they were almost sucked inside of him as he struggled to muster up enough courage to say what needed to be said to Celestia.

“Princess…”

“What, Gosling?” Celestia turned to face the pegasus by her side.

“Princess… I don’t have a lot of choices it seems in my life,” Gosling began. “But I was thinking about what you said to me earlier. I do have one choice I can make.”

“Gosling, dear, what are you talking about?” Celestia asked.

“I can choose when to place my own piece on the board—”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed and became fiery. “No, Gosling, no!”

“Sister… do not hold him back. Allow him a chance to prove himself.” Luna’s words were as cold as the night sky around her.

He took a deep breath, filling his lungs with brisk, chilly air. Gosling drew himself up to his full height and he tried to look as convincing as possible. “Let me see if I can sort this out. Let me see if I can win these ponies over. I understand the futility of going against an angry mob, but let me try.”

“Gosling… no…” Celestia shook her head and her ears flopped in the breeze.

“Hotspur, Hush, I want you glued to his sides,” Luna commanded. “If he fails, do whatever you have to get him out of there. I wish to see if the future prince has pretty words enough to appease a crowd.”

“I’m coming,” Seville said in a somewhat timid sounding voice. “I’ll not let my friends go into danger alone. In our last fight, I wasn’t very useful, but I took a lot of good pictures.”

Bowing his head, Gosling said to Celestia, “Wish me luck, and when I come back victorious, maybe we can read a book together or sumptin.”

“You’re a rogue,” Celestia replied. It sounded as though she was about to choke upon her words. Her eyes watered, perhaps because of the frigid night air. She extended one wing and touched Gosling’s cheek. “Good luck, my little rogue. May your silver tongue serve you well.”

Lifting his head, Gosling nodded, then moved away to join his friends, ready to face the mob.

Author's Note:

Family bondageing.

PreviousChapters Next