• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 9,105 Views, 2,876 Comments

The Perilous Romance of Swans - kudzuhaiku



And lo, there was much honking and rejoicing in Canterlot when Princess Celestia announced that she had a suitor...

  • ...
53
 2,876
 9,105

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 55

The room had been far too stuffy and packed with far too many ponies. Gosling had retreated, excusing himself and saying that he needed air. Now, he strolled along the parapets, moving from guard post to guard post, enjoying the cool of the night. It was going to be a big day tomorrow, a momentous day, a day when history was made. It felt as though an era was ending so that a new one could begin.

The first stars of the evening were beginning to twinkle, glittering jewels in an endless indigo expanse that stretched from horizon to horizon overhead. Gosling took a moment to take it all in, he stood looking up, and filling his lungs with the night air that held the suggestion of autumn.

Looking about, he saw her. She glowed with a soft, pale luminescence in the night, the stars in her mane highlighted the blue in her pelt, and there could be no doubt in Gosling’s mind—she was beautiful in her own way, much in the same way the night was beautiful, but also full of mystery. She moved with grace as she turned to face him.

She was every bit as different from her sister as night and day could be. Gosling felt his mouth go dry and he felt a case of the jitters coming on. Her eyes narrowed and he knew that he was being studied, perhaps she was trying to gauge his intentions, or his desire. He felt the need to say something, but he didn’t know what. The sound of her breathing was distracting. It wasn’t love or infatuation that prompted his feelings, but concern. She was out here, alone, all by herself, while others were indoors, enjoying one another’s company and having fun.

“Do you mind if I bend your ear?” Gosling asked in a low whisper, so he wouldn’t disturb the dark, sacred night.

“You would bend mine ear?” Luna replied.

He paused, unable to tell if she was teasing or just using old speech that he lacked the context to understand. Or maybe, she didn’t understand his choice of expression. It was difficult to tell. He shifted on his hooves, going from right to left, and then back to right again. A cold breeze caught his tail and made it rustle against his hind legs, tickling him and making him start somewhat.

“I just wanted to talk,” Gosling said, explaining himself.

A blank stare was all he got for his troubles. He couldn’t read Luna’s expression. She was like a marble statue, beautiful and unmoving. For a moment, he resented her a little bit, she wasn’t making this easy for him. She was being distant and he had something of an idea that perhaps Luna wanted to be alone, perhaps so she could brood and maybe feel sorry for herself. Or maybe he was reading too much into it and he was wrong. Maybe it was unfair of him to feel that way.

He decided to continue. “You know, talking. That thing that ponies do sometimes.”

“And what shall we talk about?” Luna asked.

Hearing her words, Gosling was seized with inspiration. “How about the trial?”

As he stood watching, he saw her lips press into a small, thin line. Her cheeks went taut against her jawline. He saw her nostrils flaring. For a marble statue, she showed many signs of life. He couldn’t tell if she was angry, or just reacting.

“You couldn’t even begin to understand my feelings or my opinions on that issue.”

That stung a bit. Things weren’t going as well as he hoped. Feeling dejected, he nodded. “Fine, if you want to be snobby about it, I’ll leave you alone. I’m sorry.” He turned to go, feeling as though he had failed.

“It has nothing to do with snobbery or conceit,” Luna said in a flat voice that was as cold as midnight. “This is why We shy away from others. Thou art so quick to turn about and leave.”

Freezing in place, Gosling paused but did not turn around. He kept his back to Luna. “So then, explain it to me. Make me understand. If this ain’t snobbery, then what is it? Or am I just some dumb colt from the Broncs that couldn’t possibly understand your point of view?” He noticed that her speech was changing, perhaps because of her emotional state.

“You are a pony from a different time.”

Unmoving, Gosling stood still and waited.

“A thousand years were lost to me,” Luna said in a soft voice. “The world has changed so much. There is much that I do not understand. In my lifetime, I have seen so much change, but then I went away for a time… and I did not get to witness the changes like mine sister, I did not get a chance to adapt to them as they happened as she did.”

“I’m sorry.” He didn’t know why, but Gosling felt the need to apologise. He turned around and looked Luna in the eye.

“When I was young, a young male such as yourself would have been a trading resource. Fine stock, suitable for breeding.” Luna blinked. “Make no mistake though, you would have been property. The serfs came with the demesne and you, Gosling, would have been a serf. I could have had you flogged for speaking to me, or even looking me in the eye, such was the way of things. But things have changed…”

Gosling waited.

“Now, We still have subjects, but mine sister frowns if We speak of them as property. That went out of fashion. Technically, the ownership is still there, that is what being a subject is all about… you are one of the ponies that come with the land, the demesne. We are obligated to feed you, care for you, provide for your needs, protect you, but there are far too many of you now.”

“I suppose that makes things complicated,” Gosling said.

“It does.” Luna nodded. “You have a level of freedom now that once belonged to ponies with titles, with ranks, and landowners. You vote… a thing once done by Counts and nobles of sufficient rank.”

“Yeah, we call it democracy. In democracy, your vote counts, which is different than feudalism, when your Count votes.” Gosling’s ears stood up when he heard Luna begin to snicker. He had made her laugh and something about that felt good.

Still chucking, Luna said, “So you ask me how I feel about the newspaper trial… but I am still trying to sort out mine feelings about the world around me, which is so very different than the world I left. I do not even know where to begin.”

“It must be rough.” Gosling felt bad for jumping to conclusions. This was far more complicated than he thought. He looked Luna in the eye, wondering how she felt about a pony like him making eye contact with a pony like her.

“I still find myself wondering why we don’t just strip them of everything they own, have them publicly flogged, place them in a pillory of some sort, and have them left to rot,” Luna said, her voice a conspiratorial whisper of admission. “And I feel ashamed for feeling that way, I do. It bothers me. The world has moved on, progressed, but I am still trapped in the past.”

Tilting his head to one side, he saw Luna break eye contact and look away. He could see a pained expression upon her face. He had trouble comprehending, but he had an inkling of an idea—Luna was somehow expected to catch up on a thousand years of progress, of societal change, she was expected to be a princess and to rule a nation that had moved on and progressed without her. It had to be rough. And even Celestia was still stuck in the past, Gosling knew this, but she struggled and fought a good fight to adapt to modern thinking. They had discussed it in therapy.

“My last husband… I loved him… I really did. I treated him well, but after having been exposed to modern ideas, I am filled with regret. I find myself wishing I had treated him more as an equal…” Luna’s words trailed off and her wings hitched against her sides. “Looking back, even with my affection for him, there were so many times I treated him as property, or spoke down to him… times I reminded him of his place, to mind his betters... I fear I will do the same to you. I have, in fact, done this to you.”

“Hey… you can’t judge what you’ve done in the past by the standards of the future.” Gosling took a step forwards, closer to Luna, and then he stopped himself before coming too close. He didn’t want to spook her, or make her run away. He had a stunning realisation of just how fragile she was. Down deep beneath the bluster, hidden away deep inside the pony that liked to roam the halls at night and scare ponies, there was a tender, easy to injure heart.

“I can do whatever I like by virtue of who I am,” Luna said, the first hints of becoming a little cross now audible in her voice.

“Yes, you can, and when you do something you regret, I’ll be there to listen.”

Luna’s gaze focused on Gosling. It was cold, as cold as the vast emptiness above the clouds. No expression could be seen upon her face. No warmth. No feeling. Not anger, not sadness, nothing. She just stood there, staring, and Gosling began to wonder if he had perhaps gone too far.

Or perhaps not far enough. “You know, that attitude of yours… I don’t exactly feel like your equal right now. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you just talked down to me. Tell me, did it make you feel better? Was it satisfying?”

“No,” Luna said, spitting the word out. “No, damn you, it doesn’t make me feel better at all. Why even ask? Do you plan to gloat? Do you wish to rub my nose in it? Do you revel in the fact that you can say whatever you wish and I cannot have you flogged, for the fear of upsetting my sister?”

“Wow, when you get upset, you really lash out at those closest to you. Celestia was right.”

Lifting her head high, Luna said nothing in return, but gave Gosling an imperious stare.

“There are other ways of blowing off steam and relieving tension,” Gosling said to Luna in a gentle, but firm voice. “Pushing others away from you so you can sulk and feel alone is a terrible thing. It only reinforces your misguided belief that you don’t fit in. You keep sabotaging yourself—”

“What do you know?” Luna huffed.

“I know about the tantabus,” Gosling replied. He watched Luna’s eyes go wide for a moment, and then they narrowed until they were no more than slits. His ears twitched as he heard the rustle of feathers, both hers and his own. Alicorns had much the same body language as pegasi, and right now, Luna’s stance suggested that he was about to have his neck broken and his helpless body stomped on until it was unrecognisable mush.

It took him a moment, but Gosling realised that he was terrified. He did his best not to show it, but he knew that Luna probably knew anyway. There was no help for it. The situation seemed pretty bad and Gosling felt a keen sense of regret for trying to engage Luna in conversation.

He took a step back and began to wonder if he could fly away. Doing so might trigger the very worst in Luna. Gosling knew all too well how pegasi were. Show weakness and you could end up stomped. Fly away and you might get chased. He began to worry that this might end in violence. He began to calculate his chances, which seemed rather slim. If he bolted, she wouldn’t need to chase him, she could just blast him with magic. In hindsight, the remark about the tantabus had been going a little too far.

Luna’s wrathful posture shifted and her expression softened. She stood there, looking murderous one moment, then hurt and ashamed the next. She blinked a few times, then looked at Gosling with pleading eyes.

“We are sorry.”

Still frozen, still trying to decide upon fight or flight, Gosling felt his stomach muscles clench and a terrible, almost crippling cramp tore through his insides. He kept himself rigid, not wishing to show weakness.

“Please, I am sorry… I let mine anger get away from me. I am not accustomed to somepony speaking to me so brazenly. You… you act with such cocksure confidence… you are so bold. I have trouble dealing with you sometimes. You are one of the new things that gives me such trouble. Such behaviour was unthinkable at one time. But I am fond of you.”

Hearing sincerity in Luna’s words, Gosling tried to unclench his sphincter and relax a little bit, but he found it difficult. He stood, stiff legged, his wings twitching at his sides, ready to unfurl so he could make some sort of escape, if it were even possible.

“I don’t want you afraid of me…” Luna’s voice was almost a whimper and close to a whine. “Gosling, I am sorry.”

Staring at Luna, Gosling knew that he stood at a crossroads. He could let Luna have it right now, or he could be brave, he could be bold, and maybe try to reach her. He swallowed, his mouth feeling dry, and he took a step forwards.

“Don’t be such a bitch,” he said in a trembling voice. He saw Luna flinch and he felt bad for saying it. “Look, why don’t we go for a walk and talk with one another. You know, talking. That thing that ponies do with one another. We can try to sort this out. Or, you can just keep being a bitch and I’ll be glad to leave you alone.”

“You would walk with me and spend time with me, even after what just happened?”

Gosling nodded.

“I would walk with you, if you would bear my company,” Luna said.

“Just a walk and nothing more,” Gosling promised, “I’ll be on my best behaviour if you’ll do the same.”

“Such an agreement is amicable,” Luna replied. She lifted her head high. “Walk beside me, Gosling, as my equal, if you will…”

Author's Note:

It isn't easy...

PreviousChapters Next