• Published 13th Apr 2016
  • 869 Views, 18 Comments

Finding our Way Back Home - DragonsHeart



A lone ruined ship flies through space. On board sleeps the last hope for Equus. These nine ponies will have to journey through space to find a way to save their home. And space can be a pretty weird and strange place sometimes too...

  • ...
6
 18
 869

Chapter 5 - They've Found Us!

The girls walk through the ship, following Alastair’s lead.

“I understand why you guys need to see the captain, but why did you force me to come?” Devil whines, following from behind.

“Two reasons, one, if I have to suffer I want someone else to suffer with me,” Alastair says, smirking, “Two, I need to talk with you about something afterwards.”

“The first reason sucks, but fine,” groans Devil, rolling her eyes.

“Is this captain something scary?” Twilight asks, nervous.

“Nah, no more scary than any other Pictish, he can just be really boring,” Alastair says, scanning doors.

“Huh?” Twilight says, confused.

“You will find out in a second,” Alastair says, opening a random door, only to reveal an elevator, “Get in, this goes to the bridge.”

The ponies and the Pictish crowd in, luckily since it is a Pictish elevator it isn’t cramped. Alastair swipes his PTSD against a glowing part near the door, causing the door to close and the elevator to raise.

“So how is he boring?” Twilight asks, as the elevator suddenly goes sideways, before going up again.

“It is kind of hard to explain,” Alastair says, rubbing the back of his head, “Actually most other races find him overwhelming.”

“Huh?” Twilight says, even more confused.

“Just wait, we are nearly there,” Alastair says, checking his PTSD.

Just as Alastair finishes talking, the elevator stops, and its door opens.

“Welcome to the bridge!” Alastair says, walking out of the elevator.

“Cool!” Rainbow Dash says, looking around.

The sight before them is impressive, not the bridge itself which is just a bunch of Pictish working behind control panels and talking to each other… also some them are drinking, but the impressive part is the large window that nearly stretched across the entire bridge, showing one of the most beautiful starlit sky they have ever seen. The ponies can’t help but rush to the window and look outside. Endless stars stretch out before them, no planets, suns or moons in sight, just endless stars.

“It’s amazing,” Twilight whispers, mezmerised.

“It’s kind of haunting,” adds Applejack, wide eyed.

“So many stars…” Sweetie Belle says, also mezmerised.

“It is beautiful!” Rarity says, looking like she is about to cry.

“It is just stars,” Devils interrupts, rolling her eyes, “Did you live underground or something?”

“Oh, sorry,” Twilight says, realizing that they got distracted.

“No, don’t worry, we have plenty of time,” says unknown voice beside them.

The ponies look beside them and see a Pictish sitting cross legged, looking back at them. He has long hair and well trimmed bearded like Alastair but his hair isn’t held in a ponytail and is hanging loose.

“Ah, Captain Hammer, should've known you would be here,” Alastair says, smiling slightly.

“Not much else to do on the bridge,” Hammer smirks, standing up, revealing that he is a bit taller than Alastair.

“Yes, I imagine that being a Captain without a battle is kind of boring,” Devil says, glad that she is not a captain.

Hammer turns to the ponies, “Do you want to continue looking at the stars for a while longer or do you want to get down to business?”

“Just hurry up,” Devil says, getting irritated.

“Maybe it is better if we just talk now,” suggests Twilight, tearing herself away from the window.

“Fine by me,” Hammer says, striding to the middle of the ship, where he sits down on a large chair that seems to be able to rotate.

The ponies follow him to the middle of the room where they stand in front of the chair, even when sitting down he is bigger than them.

“Now I’m required to ask you some question by Federation laws, and you have to answer them to the best of your abilities, understood?” Hammer quickly explains, crossing his hands.

“I guess…” Twilight tries to say.

“Good,” Hammer starts, leaning back and closing his eyes, “Now, where did you come from, what is the level of your technology, where is your homeworld, do you know of the Magi, what do you know of magic, who is your leader, what were you doing in space…?” He continues to ask question without giving Twilight anytime to answer them. The questions continue to mount up without any sign of stopping and soon even Twilight loses track of them. “And finally,” he says, slowing down, “Are you friend... or foe?” he asks, opening his eyes.

“What?” Twilight says, finally catching up. “We are completely harmless and friendly!” she quickly answers, worried.

“I can see that,” Hammer says, smiling, “I will make sure to add it to my report.”

“Wait? What about the other questions?” Rainbow Dash asks, confused.

“What about them?” Hammer smirks, “I asked them and you couldn’t answer them. Let’s just leave it at that, alright?”

The ponies just look confused, but before they can continue the conversation, another Pictish walks up and starts talking with Hammer, blocking any chance at a continued conversation. Twilight turns to Alastair in hope of him understanding what is going on, only to find him leaning against the walls, like he is about to fall asleep, Devil is a similar situation.

“Alastair, are you alright?” Twilight asks, confused by the sleepy Pictish.

“What, is he done yet?” Alastair says, straightening himself up, “God, does he like to talk too much!”

“And it is so boring…” adds Devil, straightening herself up as well.

“It was boring?” Twilight asks, confused, who thought it was more overwhelming than boring.

“For us at least,” Devil says, stretching, “Listen to someone talk to someone else for about ten minutes is boring as hell for a Pictish, especially when it him talking non-stop.”

“He was talking for ten minutes?” Rarity says, shocked, “It didn’t feel like it was that long.”

“Something usually don’t,” Alastair yawns, holding a hand to his mouth, “This is one of them.”

“But why does he talk like that anyway?” Twilight asks, the question bothering her.

“Easy, because he is a captain and he has too,” Devil states, “He is required to by law.”


“But that clever ass of a Pictlander thought of a way to avoid it,” explains Alastair, shaking his head, “You see he just has to ask the questions, he doesn’t always need answers.”

“So is that why he talks like that?” Rainbow Dash asks.

“Sort of, it is kind of his thing,” Devil explains, putting her hands behind her head, “His title is Hammer, he got for being able to overwhelm some people and to bore the shit out of the others with just words, a rare skill for a Pictish.”

“I sort of get the hammer part with the overwhelm people thing, but bore?” Applejack asks, confused.

“You forget that hammer is also a potent sleeping drug,” Alastair says, smiling.

“Oh yeah, I forgot,” Applejack says, rubbing her forehead at the memory.

“If you guys are done talking about my title,” interrupts Hammer, who seems to have stopped talking to the other Pictlander, “But I was told that the Federation will be picking you up sooner than I expected.”

“So they found someone nearby, did they?” Alastair says, seeming to be completely waken up now.

“Yes, they did,” Hammer sighs, displeasure clear in his voice, “Duke Drakken Tacitus, Brother of the King of the Tiskat.”

“They are sending royalty, ey?” Alastair says, raising an eyebrow.

“Why the bloody hell did it have to the Tiskat?” Hammer says, frowning.

“I read about the Tiskat before right?” interrupts Twilight, remembering the GIT entry, “They are a race made entirely of nobles, right.”

“What really?” Applejack says in surprise, “How do they get anything done?”

“Yes, that is correct Twilight,” Alastair answers, smiling, “And to answer you question Applejack, quite well, they wouldn’t be leading member of Federation otherwise.”

“But what about servants and stuff like that?” asks Rainbow Dash, also surprised.

“They are also quite good with robotics,” adds Devil, yawning, “They do all their dirty work.”

“And the king’s brother is picking you girls up,” grumbles Hammer, “Aren’t we lucky.”

“Do you not like the Tiskat?” asks Pinkie, confused.

“We have never like them since the day we met them,” explains Hammer, frowning, “We have never had a nobility, and we don’t like the idea of it either, people gaining power because of birth is against what we believe in. We Pictish believe that you have to earn respect.”

‘I see, I guess the Pictish are more of a meritocracy, it makes sense that they would dislike a nobility,’ Twilight thinks to herself.

“When will they arrive?” Alastair asks.

“Soon I imagine,” Hammer answers, getting off his chair, “They were only a few jumps away...”

“Oi, Captain!” yells a Pictish, sitting in front of a control station, wearing a head phone, “We have been hailed by the Duke’s ship, HMS Basilisk, requesting permission to board.”

“Damn, didn’t notice them approach,” cusses Hammer, shaking his head, “Tell them to go ahead.”

Twilight looks outside the window, but they can’t see any sign of another ship.

“I can’t see any ship?” Rainbow Dash says, who is also looking.

“Just give it a second,” Alastair says, smiling, “You're in for treat.”

Before Twilight can question it she notices something flicker. Suddenly light streams in from the window on the left side of the ship, and suddenly a ship is flying next to them. The ship is very long with a chisel shaped head, it is also very ornate, decorated with beautiful shaped metalwork, and painted on the side is a very large snake with it’s mouth open.

“What just happened?” Pinkie says, rubbing her eyes.

“The Tiskat ship just uncloaked itself,” explains Alastair, still smiling.

“The show offs,” mutters Hammer, shaking his head again, “We better go greet them.” He turns towards another Pictish, “Tell the metalheads in the hanger to move the wreck to the Tiskat’s ship.” He then walks to the elevator, “Let’s go.”

“Come on, girls,” Alastair says, smiling slightly, “Your ride has arrived.”

The ponies join Alastair, Devil and Hammer in the elevator. It turns out to be a quicker ride down than it was going up. They exit the elevator and head down the hallway.

“Will we be alright?” Twilight asks, nervous about the Tiskat.

“Don’t worry about it Twilight,” comforts Alastair, patting Twilight on the back, “While the Tiskat may be the most sneaky bastards in the universe they are not technically bad people.”

“Unless it’s another Tiskat,” smirks Devil, “They would back stab other in the back in a second if it meant getting a better positions in life.”

“That is not technically true anymore,” Alastair sighs, rubbing his forehead, “Nowadays they use words instead of dagger, and words can sometime cut deeper than any dagger ever could.”

“On the bright side they will most likely be able to give you some new clothes,” Devil says, ignoring Alastair, “They most likely have a tailor aboard.”

“Is it standard to have tailor aboard a Tiskat ship?” Applejack asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Only aboard their capital and flagships,” Hammer answers, looking unimpressed, “They like to look their best at all times.”

“Well it is differently good luck for us,” Rarity says, happy at the chance to get some proper clothes.

They reach a large door where two Pictish, fully geared up, leaning on each side of it.

“This is the docking door, they will be coming through here soon,” Hammer says, leaning against the wall.

“I guess this goodbye, Alastair?” Twilight says, nervously rubbing her upper arm.

“For now at least,” Alastair says, smiling, “You’ll be surprised how small the galaxy is sometimes.”

“Thanks for helping us,” Twilight says, smiling back, “And I hope we will see you again sometimes.”

The rest of the ponies nod in agreement.

“I hope so too, but now…” Alastair says, grabbing Devil’s hand and dragging her away, “I need to talk to Devil.”

“What? But I want to say goodbye too,” whines Devil, not really resisting.

“Save it,” Alastair says, moving out of earshot, “We need to talk.”

Devil rolls her eyes but follows Alastair.

“What do you think they need to talk about?” Fluttershy wonders aloud.

“I don’t know and I don’t really care,” states Rainbow Dash, huffing, “At least we won’t have to see Devil again.”

“I thought she was funny,” Pinkie says, happily.

Before any more comments can be made there is the sound of metal slamming against metal.

“What was that?!” Twilight says, alarmed, looking around for the source.

“That was just the sound of the ships finishing docking together,” explains Hammer, amused by her reaction, “Now prepared to cover your noise from the smell of their rich perfume, they will be aboard soon.”

The door suddenly opens, revealing a line of soldier, covered completely in armour and holding guns of some sort. They then part lining against the wall, letting someone through, and so the ponies see they first Tiskat.

He is male and about an average male pony height, his face is human like beside a few key differences. His skin is a dark green purplish colour, and instead of a nose he has two small reptile like slits and he also has no ears, his eyes are lizard like, he also has no hair and instead has long thick hair like spines that spout out like hair, the Tiskat has his spines pulled back behind his head. He also has a long reptile tail that reaches the floor. His uniform is pretty fancy, covered in metals and coloured in a nice dark green, with a black trim.

“Welcome aboard Drakken,” Hammer says, smirking and holding out his hand towards the Tiskat.

Drakken frowns at the hand before sighing and shaking it, his hand looking quite small in the Pictish ones. “Yes, quite,” he says, with a slow cold tone.

“So what’s the great admiral of Tiskat fleet doing here picking up aliens?” Hammer asks, raising a eyebrow.

“I was in the area, and I thought I might as well to save everyone some time,” Drakken says, examining his nails, “The assembly is very keen to see these new aliens.” He says the last bit with a sigh.

“Are you not, your lordship?” Alastair says, walking up without Devil. Twilight looks around but sees no sign of Devil now.

The Tiskat seems to genuinely smiles when he sees the doctor, the ponies notice that he has very sharp canines. “Ah, it good to see you Alastair,” he says, his tone warming up slightly, “But to answer your question, many races have joined the federation and with them brings more problems and more to protect, so no I am not too keen to meet these aliens.”

“I guess that makes sense, Duke,” Alastair replies, smiling.

“So where are these aliens?” Drakken asks, cocking his eyebrow.

“Here they are,” Hammer says, pointing at the ponies, some of them giving him a nervous wave.

“Are they… are they wearing old Tiskat military jumpsuit?” Drakken says, frowning in confusion.

“It is all we had for them to wear,” Alastair explains, “They were from the survivors we rescued at the Battle of the Fallen Axe.”

“That would make them over a hundred years old,” Drakken says, surprised, casting his eyes over the ponies, “It can’t be comfortable for them… also they are out of fashion.”

“As if this couldn’t get any more atrocious!” gasps Rarity, placing her hand on her head, dramatically.

“I see that they have already been implanted… without authorization!” Drakken says, glaring at Hammer.

“Hey Alastair did it, not me,” Hammer says, glaring back.

“But I am sure he had a good reason,” Drakken corrects himself, causing Hammer to roll his eyes.

“Anyway we have wasted enough time here. Follow me, umm… what are they called?” Drakken asks, turning to Alastair.

“Ponies,” Alastair answers.

“Well, come now ponies, follow me aboard my….” A sudden explosion rocks the ship, interrupting Drakken. “What the blazing is going on!!”

“CAPTAIN!” yells a pictish running up to Hammer, “We are being attacked by Magi warship!”

A spark seems to light up in Hammer’s eyes. “SO IT IS A BATTLE THEN!!” he bellows, his voice echoing through the ship hall only for it to return with the sound of cheering.

“Oh dear, let’s hurry aboard my ship ponies!” Drakken yells, beckoning the ponies to follow, “Let’s not get caught in this!”

The ponies wasted no time and followed Drakken, running across the bridge that connects the two ship. Twilight stops at the other side and turns around and sees Alastair looking back at her.

Twilight cups her hands around her mouth and shouts, “Thanks for everything, Alastair!!”

Alastair just smiles and gives her a thumbs up before the doors slam shut, blocking the view.

“Come with me to the bridge, ponies!” yells Drakken, running through the doors leading out of the room.

The ponies follow him to the front of the ship, nearly falling over when another explosion rocks the ship.

“Damn it, they're now targeting us!” yells Drakken, as he enters the bridge, followed by the ponies. “What the status?” he yells to another Tiskat.

“Minor hull damage sir,” the Tiskat says, “The Warship has now rerouted it course to pursue us.”

“Damn… reroute the all the ship’s power to the engine and shields, and get us out of here!” orders Drakken.

“Yes, sir!” yells Tiskat, going to relaying the orders.

“Wait, we are running away?” yells Rainbow Dash, confused by why they are not fighting.

“Yes, it is the most sensible option,” replies Drakken, calmly. He then turns towards another Tiskat, “Get us a visual on the Magi ship!”

“Yes, sir!” the Tiskat replies, tapping something on a control panel, causing a computer screen to lower and show the pursuing ship.

The girls gasp in horror at the sight of the ship, for they recognize it. As one of the many ships that attacked Equis all those years ago!

“No, it’s them…” Twilight whispers, horrified.

“They’ve found us!” Applejack adds, wide eyed.

“Where the hell is the Pictish!” yells Drakken, as another explosion rocks the ship, “Our shields can’t take this kind of beating!”

‘Yes, where are the Pictish?’ Twilight thinks, looking outside the window. There is no sign of them, until Twilight notices a ship in the distance moving in their direction at speed.

“The Pictish ship has turned around and is coming in, to ram the Magi ship,” replies another Tiskat.

Drakken sighs, “The Pictish never change, do they?”

“The Pictish are going to ram them?!” yells Applebloom, shocked, “Can they even do that?”

“Of course they can, it what Pictish ships are built to do,” answers Drakken, rolling his eyes.

“Cool!” Scootaloo says, amazed.

Twilight frowns and looks outside the window at the Pictish. The first thing that comes to mind when describing a Pictish ship is axlike, for the front of the ship is like a giant bearded axe, with it’s back being slightly bulky because of having huge engines and large amounts of guns, with its bridge sitting on the top, it looks like a ship that made to attack another ship head on.

The Pictish zooms past them toward the Magi ship, the ponies look up the screen at the Magi ship. The Pictish ship rams into the ship nearly splitting it in half, but instead managing to get lodged inside it. The two ship’s now stuck in each other begin firing at each other, but that all the ponies get to see before the screen turns off.

“Hey, I was watching that!” whines Pinkie, pouting.

“Yeah, wanted to see who wins!” Rainbow Dash yells, frustrated.

“No need, the Pictish won as soon as they crashed into the ship,” Drakken says, calmly sitting down on his command chair, “Navigator, set a course for Lex.”

“But…” Twilight tries to say.

“You need not worry, ponies,” Drakken says, waving Twilight off, “The Pictish are by now boarding the ship and if you think that a Pictish ship is fearful than you have never seen one fight before.”

“Manadrive is nearly ready sir,” comments a Tiskat.

“Good, we will soon be out of here,” Drakken smiles, he then turns to the ponies, looking at them closely, “Now about your clothes…”

Author's Note:

Here is my new story.
What do you think about it?
Like and comment, it helps me a lot:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 11 )

Needs more cowbell lol great story, can't wait for more

7125091
Catch it, it's a rare find!

So... are the Magi humans?
When Twilight talked about Alistair she compared him to a human even though she is a pony.

7131135
Never heard of Equestria Girls?

7131959
I always forget that thing.

Not bad looking forward to seeing more. I really like what you did with the Picts, I hope we see more of alastair and devil.

Login or register to comment