• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 668 Views, 9 Comments

Victorian Equestria: Waiting Room - Sky Sprinter



Princess-Ambassador Starlight Sparkle waits to meet the President and thinks about history.

  • ...
 9
 668

Hey look! Paintings!

Princess-Ambassador Starlight Sparkle sat uncomfortably on the leather chair. She awaited the arrival of the President as there were some matters that she wanted to get to him. Chairs in this country were not made for ponies but for it's humans.

"One would think that my importance would surpass this 'burger trip' of his," she said to herself, "How one could stand to eat the flesh of any animal is beyond me." She had been waiting for a short while but when you are daughter to the Queen herself... you tend to see your problems as above others and so she also began to feel bored and a bit antsy. Starlight's eyes glided over the white walls and the various paintings and photos on the walls. There were quite a few but her eyes stuck on five in particular that she took interest in.

The first one was of a man clothed in black and wearing a powdered wig. He held a sword of some kind, possibly a rapier, in one hand and he gestured towards a table with the other, as if inviting the viewer to come and chat. The man was regal in appearance and yet was not a King. "How this man would roll in his grave if he saw that they now allowed peasants to vote," she sighed, "Now it's just the rabble and the aristocracy under a new name."

She next noted the next painting, which was of a tall figure sitting in a chair of a much more regal build. He was leaning forward as if in thought and wore a black suit, as befitting any gentleman. "The Unifier" as he's called in Unicornia and "The Great Emancipator" in the Equine Republic and the Pegasi Military Republic. It reminded her of a lesson back in Canterlot about the "emancipation" of the Mud Ponies. It had been over 23 years since then and all that created was even higher racial tensions between the Unicorns and the other races. Now there was only segregation and the disallowing of Mud Ponies to enter the Holy City of Canterlot (A slight that still harms relations between the Unicorns and the Mud Ponies of the Equine Republic).

Next was the portrait of the "crippled savior," as the Unicorns backhandedly called the man. He led his nation in the fight against the great evil of the East and the Fascists within Unicornia, as well as getting his nation out of the gigantic depression that they had found themselves in. Amazingly, this man had done all of this while bound to a wheelchair, a feat that garnered a lot of respect in Unicorn high society. The portrait itself had the man sitting in a chair, looking to the viewer.

Next was the picture of a President that had garnered a ton of love from Unicorns and the right-wing of his home. Usually considered to be the best President, he had led the Cold War against the Red Bear and the liberals of the south. The common market agreement between him and Princess Celestial Sparkle (Starlight's grandmother) had led to terrific relations and a terrific economy for Unicornia even after he left office. When he passed just over a decade ago, he was highly mourned. His presidential, regal appearance was always a source of admiration for Princess-Ambassador Starlight, and as she stared at the eyes of the "Great Communicator" that seemed to stair back with a smile, she fawned over the picture of him and hoped to buy a portrait later that day.

Her eyes then moved to the next portrait reluctantly where she saw the face of "Dubya." She had been appointed to this diplomatic position during the final years of his reign. A controversial figure from election to an ultimately wasteful war, and only able to keep hold in the fervor after a terrible terrorist attack. She didn't like him and neither did the rest Unicorn upper-class.

Finally there was the last picture, which was a photo of the current ruler. He was a different skin tone, which for some reason brought him hate by his fellow humans. "Seriously, I don't hate a pony just because they have a different coat color," she said without thinking about her own thoughts against "Mud Ponies" and Pegasi. The President was liberal and went against many things that Unicorns had held dear for years. But at least it's not like he'd be any worse than whomever she'd have to deal with in the next year. Between the crazy, wall-builder, the socialist, and the old lady, there really wasn't much to hope for from her perspective.

Looking upon the current field of candidates and who was likely to win, Starlight was pretty sure that she was definitely gonna be glad that she had been stockpiling fine wine in her home because she was sure that she was gonna need it. Between all the protests, the migrant crises overseas, and the Celestia-damned wall-builder, there was little doubt that the wine was not gonna last a year. Just thinking about the current field of candidates made her want to drink.

Suddenly one of the doors opened and a human female stepped in and said, "Ms. Princess-Ambassador, the President is ready to see you."

"Oh good, I was getting bored waiting just because of a burger trip," Starlight said rolling her eyes before getting up and following the human inside.

Comments ( 7 )

7031254
And I fail. :rainbowlaugh:
Thanks for catching that.

7031356 I am taking a guess and saying that you watched Avatar: The Last Airbender.
That's all I can remember.

7031410
Actually my friends watch it and so I've seen some scenes and a review of the (from what I've heard) terrible movie. It felt like a nice reference.:scootangel:

7031492 No joke, all I remember from the intro is "But when they needed him most, he vanished."

7033106
I'm sure most would agree.:twilightsmile:

7033400
nice
you earned a follow my good sir


.....and a ponka:pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment