• Published 31st Dec 2015
  • 621 Views, 2 Comments

A chance at Redemption - Bureaucrabrony



Tirek returns and Twilight has a plan to deal with him.

  • ...
 2
 621

Chapter 3: Recovery

Tirek was not exactly a stranger to Equestrian society, but he still found the upbeat atmosphere repulsive. Discord probably felt similarly, once, Tirek thought. Maybe he will come to appreciate it more too, eventually. Tirek wasn't sure he wanted to. In fact, Tirek wasn't sure he really wanted any of this. But he couldn't deny that Discord, and the other’s had made their case. Tirek still didn't trust this concept of Friendship but what choice did he have? The purple unicorn, he now understood to be called Starlight Glimmer, was right. What is the point of all that power Tirek wanted when all that is left is ash? Despite his ever present desire to gain more magic and his aversion to companionship, the thought of that pointlessness disturbed him to the core. He had never bothered to think about what would come after he’s achieved his goals. Not even when he very nearly had everything he wanted did he really stop to think about what it meant. So, he chose to play their game. He knew they were also right about him having little chance of prevailing anyway. Either way, he may end up back in Tartarus. But at least this way he has a chance of avoiding that fate. So, here he is, trying to accept love and friendship, something he’d once swore never to do. Tirek had no idea what to expect from these ponies.

“Here we are.” Said Starlight as they came to stop in front of a enormous crystalline structure that vaguely resembles a tree.

“This is Princess Twilight’s Castle? It wasn't here last time.” Tirek observed.

“No, it sprang from the tree of harmony after they defeated you.” Discord said casually.

Tirek frowned. “So she was rewarded with all of this for sending me back to Tartarus? And you want me to trust you that you won't try to seek such a reward again?”

“Rest easy, Tirek. It does not work that way.” Luna reassured.

“How do you know?” Tirek challenged.

“You should know better than most how long my sister and I have been protecting Equestria and using the forces of harmony.” Replied Luna.

Tirek accepted this. He indeed knows the depths of Celestia and Luna’s experience. Still Tirek was, not one to trust easily, if ever. He remained skeptical of everypony's motives.

The group entered the Castle. They navigated their way to the Throne room. There they were met by Twilight and the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony, Cadence, Celestia, and Spike. Tirek shrank back in fear of the amount of powerful ponies in the room he still somewhat regarded as enemies.

Twilight spoke first saying, “Tirek, I am glad you chose to join us.”

Tirek replied asking, “Oh you are, are you?”

“Of course, why wouldn't I be?” Twilight asked a bit confused.

“You might have relished the chance to come to blows again.” Suggested Tirek.

“Conflict is not something I relish.” Twilight replied flatly.

Tirek smirked. Twilight was much as he remembered, perhaps a little more self assured than before.

“So, Celestia, was all of this your plan? Much better than your last one I must say.” Tirek said.

“It was all Princess Twilight’s idea in fact.” Confessed Celestia.

“Well, I suppose you ought to be careful with that one lest you be usurped.” jeered Tirek to Celestia.

“She is a Princess now because I would trust her and her friends with protecting Equestria.” Celestia said letting the swipe at her roll off her.

“Look, we know you must feel like you were forced into this. How can we make you feel more comfortable with this?” Asked Twilight earnestly.

Tirek, a bit taken aback by the consideration, didn't know how to reply, “I uh...I am not sure.”

“Luna and I have discussed it and we would each be willing to devote time to spending it with you, if you want some familiar faces around.” Suggested Discord.

“I suppose... I don't really know how any of this is supposed to work.” said Tirek.

“Would you like to try to find your Brother Scorpan?” Asked Applejack.

“I don't think that is a good idea just yet.” Said Twilight. “Tirek probably needs some time to adjust and learn for a while.”

Tirek was at first incensed that Twilight would presume to know what is good for him. But Twilight's thoughts seemed prudent. After all in his current state he was still as likely to scream at Scorpan as to talk to him, and that is not necessarily what he wanted. “I agree, I am not ready for that.” Said Tirek.

“If you wish for Luna to spend what time she can with you, we suggest you come with us to Canterlot. Travel between here and There means little to Discord.” Said Celestia.

“Alright.” Said Tirek and he left with Celestia and Luna.

Upon arrival, Tirek was given a comfortable room in the palace. Celestia assured that whatever adjustments to his accommodations he needed would be made as soon as could be managed.

Luna managed to spend several hours a day with Tirek. She treated him with kindness and understanding. Discord also popped by for a few hours every day. He enjoyed Discord more than he expected.

One day he and Discord went to a market in Canterlot together. Tirek slowly grew agitated by the crowed. He felt them all staring at him, wondering if he is going to lash out at any moment. As he and Discord spotted some delicious looking oranges, a light brown pony with light blue mane took the last three. It was the last straw for Tirek. He roared with frustration and anger. He began to thrash about and cast beams of magic into the air.

Discord acted quickly to diffuse the situation. He snapped and Tirek froze solid where he stood. “My sincerest apologies for my friend here, he is going through a difficult transition of a sort.” Discord apologized to everypony as he repaired all the damage caused with a sweep of his claw. He then teleported himself and Tirek to Tirek’s room. Discord popped his head out the door and spotted a nearby guard. “Do fetch Princess Luna at her earliest convenience, there has been an incident. Thank you.” Discord requested of the guard.

About a half hour later Luna arrived. Discord said, “Sorry, we were out in the market and he just lost his temper.”


“You’ve done the right thing, Discord. Defrost him now, please.” Luna said.

Discord snapped again and Tirek instantly continued the fit of rage he had started in the market. Luna and Discord let him cool down on his own.

When he had finally calmed down Luna asked. “May I ask what brought this on?”

“I’m afraid the market scene was too much for him.” Speculated Discord.

Tirek had mixture of shame and resentment about him as he simmered down in the corner.

“It's all right Tirek. We know incidents like this will happen. You have a hard time dealing with other ponies.” Said Luna reassuringly.

“It's my fault I pushed him too hard today. The market with all those ponies about was too ambitious.” Said Discord.

“I...I’m sorry. It was the eyes. I could feel everypony watching me, fearing me. I couldn't take it.” Tirek finally managed to say.

“Don’t you worry about it. Just concentrate on recovering and doing better next time.” Said Luna

“Why did you come? Why do you both keep trying to help me?” Asked Tirek.

“Because sometimes people need friends even...no especially if they don't think they do. Fluttershy taught me that.” Said Discord.

“I have never given either of you a reason to want to be my friend.” said Tirek.

“If we needed a reason, we wouldn't really be your friends.” Said Luna.

Time went on and Luna and Discord managed to help Tirek. After a good long while, Discord and Tirek did eventually leave to track down Scorpan. But that is another tale.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment