• Published 31st Dec 2015
  • 621 Views, 2 Comments

A chance at Redemption - Bureaucrabrony



Tirek returns and Twilight has a plan to deal with him.

  • ...
 2
 621

Chapter 1: A Plan of Action

Twilight Sparkle was sitting in her throne room studying as she often did. Spike was nearby polishing a gem that Rarity had given him. Their evening was abruptly interrupted by a familiar fiery belch from Spike that meant a message from Princess Celestia. Twilight grabbed the message mid air with her magic and unrolled it to read it.

Spike asked nonchalantly, “what does it say?”

Twilight looked up from the scroll wide eyed with fear, “Get the others there is s threat to Equestria. Celestia, Luna, and Cadence are coming to us.”

About an hour later, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, & Pinkie Pie all entered the Castle with Spike. Discord and Starlight Glimmer arrived just after them with Twilight. Celestia, Luna, and Cadence were already waiting for them in the throne room.

Celestia started, “Thank you all for coming on such short notice. Tirek has escaped once again from Tartarus and has begun to steal magic. He was last spotted outside of Appleoosa. We need the bearers of the elements to once again confront him.”

“No” said Twilight.

Celestia was stunned for a moment. “No?”

“No, that is not what we should do.” Said Twilight.

Celestia was taken aback. She was not used to be contradicted like this by anypony certainly not from her most faithful student. “Wa..well why not?” She found herself asking.

“For one we have no way of knowing if we can use our connection to the elements in that way again. For another I have a better option.” Twilight replied.

Everypony else in the room looked stunned at Twilight's brashness. All except for Discord who appeared fascinated by it.

“Go on then.” Said Celestia using a testy tone with Twilight, perhaps for the first time ever.

“We should send Discord, Starlight and Luna.” Said Twilight confidently.

“But sending Discord was a mistake last time” said Cadence.

“Discord learned the value of Friendship the hard way last time because of Tirek, I am confident he won't make the same mistake again.”

“Why send Luna and I?” Asked Starlight.

“You three have been helping each other in your support group meetings. I think if anyone can reach Tirek its the three ponies in Equestra who can honestly say they have been in his shoes once.” Clarified Twilight.

“So your plan is that we are going to make friends with Tirek? I spent some time with him, and I think that will be harder than you believe. He despises the idea.” Said Discord.

“Yes but since his last defeat he has no choice but to consider its merits since it was your demonstration of your readiness to take friendship seriously that let us reconnect with our elements. But beyond that I trust you three to be able to relate to him enough to bring him around.” Answered Twilight.

“Should we try to find his Brother Scorpan? He may aid us in reaching him.” Asked Luna.

“I don't think that is wise.” Said Twilight. “From what I heard and what Discord described, he holds a lot of resentment towards his brother. Scorpan may only make things harder.” Twilight added.

“Won't he resent me as well since my sister and I bested him the first time?” Asked Luna.

“That is why Discord must make the approach. If Starlight did we run the risk of her magic being stolen. Tirek will either flee at the sight of Discord, or he will arrogantly think he can best him again. In either case Discord can engage Tirek.” Explained Twilight. “Worst case scenario, the three of them have to forcefully overpower him, which they should be able to do if they act soon.” Said Twilight.

Celestia had to admit it was a superior plan of action. One with plenty of failsafes if things went wrong. Once again her pupil exeeds her expectations. “Alright, that is a good plan. You three get to it. The bearers, prepare to use the elements just in case.” Ordered Celestia with resignation.

As everyone went about their tasks, Twilight approached Princess Celestia. “I'm sorry if I embarrassed you just now.” Twilight apologized.

“My dear Twilight, it was only a matter of time before you had a better grasp on a situation than I. You have learned so much. You have been through so much. I clearly didn't get it right the last time Tirek attacked. I was overcompensating. You had a clearer view of our assets in this situation. And in the true spirit of the Princess of Friendship you crafted a solution that may result in reconciliation. I couldn't be more proud of this pony I once called student.” Said Celestia hugging Twilight.

Twilight gave Celestia a big smile as they broke their hug and Twilight joined her friends in seeing about using the power of harmony once again.

Celestia strode to Luna who was looking apprehensive.

“Twilight’s plan is a good one sister, but I am not at all sure I can help.” Said Luna softly as Celestia came close.

“You can and you will.” Said Celestia reassuringly. “Twilight is right. Just remember the things that brought your support group together. Focus on why each of you changed and why you endevor to stay. Listen to Tirek and his pain and let him know he is not alone and he will not be. Do those things and you will succeed.” Reassured Celestia with a sisterly nuzzle.

With that Luna joined Discord and Starlight Glimmer as they left to intercept Tirek.

As they left, Starlight expressed her own doubts. Luna smiled and repeated what Celstia said to her. Both Starlight and Discord found the Advice helpful.

“Well shall we take a train or shal I teleport us there?” Asked Discord.

“I suppose we should teleport. Time is of the essence in thActionter.” Luna said reluctantly.

Starlight and Luna catered close to Discord. Discord wrapped his arms around them and then snapped with a third as the three disappeared in a flash.