• Published 29th Dec 2015
  • 1,058 Views, 9 Comments

The Greatest Hearth's Warming Gift - Phoenix Warlord



A homeless colt and filly are given a Hearth's Warming they'll never forget thanks to a certain couple.

  • ...
0
 9
 1,058

The Greatest Gift of All...

(Sometime later…)

"W-Where are we?" The young filly asks softly as she feels the warm air covering her body and she saw that their scenery had changed; large crystal pillars, lavish rugs and even a small fountain.

The colt slowly opens his eyes, rubbing his eyes, observing the scenery. “W-We’re alive? H-How’d we get here? Is this where mommy and daddy went?”

"I... I don't know..." She says and then starts to get up only to feel a large and warm blanket covering their bodies. “H-Hello?"

“Ah, looks like you two are awake,” the stallion’s voice says to the young ponies, seeing that they had awoken. “Do you like what you see?”

"Y-You're the Prince?!" the filly asks, shocked and then looks between the stallion and her older brother.

The white stallion nods to her. “Do you know what that would make my wife then?” he asks with a grin as a pink mare with a curled purple, magenta and cream white colored mane and tail comes to his side with a grin on her face.

"P-Princess... are you go-gonna punish us?" She asks softly and then feels her brother's wing drape over her back gently from under the blanket.

“Punish you? For what? Why would we punish two small, innocent ponies like you two?” the mare asks the young filly before whispering something in her husband's ear.

"A-Aren't we going to be punished because we stole?" The colt asks softly looking between the Prince and Princess.

‘Go and start a bath for them,’ the Princess whispers into her husband's ear then looks back at the foals letting her husband tell them otherwise. “Stole what if I may ask?” she asks them, laying near them.

"W-We stole so-some bread to eat... but, w-we haven't had a home for several months," the filly says softly as the Prince gets to his hooves and then lifts them gently with his magic aura.

“That long without a home? That’s horrible for any young foal to go through!” the princess says, shocked to hear the filly say that. “Didn’t you have your parents to care for you? Or relatives?”

"Th-They died several months ago..." The colt says as tears start flowing down his cheeks.

“I’m sorry…” the mare says softly, closing her eyes softly. “If I may ask, what happened to them?”

"W-We don't know... they were ju-just gone o-one day and..." The filly starts sadly before closing her eyes letting the tears flow and her voice begin to crack.

“That’s horrible…” the stallion says, seeing the two ponies cry softly as he gently places them in the warm bubble filled tub.

"W-Why are you do-doing this for u-us?" The young filly asks as she actually started to enjoy the warm water soaking into her dirty fur.

“We found you two huddled together in an alley and knew we couldn’t leave you there. Besides, it’s Hearth’s Warming Eve and felt like you two needed a home,” the mare explains with a grin, seeing the foals grin as they enjoy their first bath in a long time.

They look at the Princess and the Prince before starting to cry again, but not from sorrow, but from happiness; the first time that they've really been happy in a long time.

“Sister! We can be clean again! Clean!” he grins, crying happily, as the colt uses the warm water to wash his goldenrod fur and blue mane clean, happy to see his true colors return.

"I know! I can't believe it! We can fi-finally be clean again!" She says and then ducks her head under the water and then comes back up and then shakes her wet mane getting the area around her wet.

The mare and stallion giggle as the filly washes her mane. “Glad to know that you two love your bath,” the mare grins at them. “I have a question to ask you two, do you know what you two are?”

"Wh-What do you mean?" The colt asks softly looking up into her eyes.

“Do you know where you two are? You did notice the surroundings such as the pillars and the carpet, yes?”

"No... where are we?" The colt asks looking around slowly and then gasps softly. "W-We're in the…"

“Are we in the… the Crystal Palace?” the filly asks, finishing her brother’s sentence.

"That's right... we thought that you to deserve a nice warm meal and a warm place to stay for Heart’s Warming Eve," The mare says with a motherly smile.

The foals stand from the tub and hug the princess happily, more joyful tears coming from their eyes. “Oh thank you! Thank you so much!” the two say happily.

"It's ok... I can't bare the thought of you two being out there on a night like tonight. It's Hearth's Warming Eve after all," the mare says with a smile as she hugs the two back gently.

‘Honey, the chefs have arrived with their meals,’ the stallion whispers in his wife’s ear, looking at the foals with a grin.

"Of course. How would you two like a hot meal?" The Princess asks with a smile looking between them both.

“I-Is there a drink also?” the colt asks the mare as he rinses his mane in the water.

"Yes there is... you two must be hungry and thirsty," the stallion says as he lifts the colt out of the bath and then slowly starts drying his fur with his magic. "Would you like to know our names?”

The two foals nod to them as they are dried with their magic.

"My name is Prince Shining Armor, and this is my wife; Princess Mi Amore Cadenza," Shining Armor says introducing them to the young foals.

“Wait… T-THE Prince and… Princess?” the filly says in awe, looking at them.

"Surprised?" Cadance asks with a smile as she gently sets the filly down on her back, between her wings and then starts walking with her husband to their bedroom where the food would be served to them.

“Sis! I-I can’t believe it!” the colt says in shock, not believing that the Prince and Princess of the Crystal Empire were caring for them, smelling some hot delicious food.

"I know! I... I can't believe how lucky we are..." She says with the biggest smile she had used in many months.

Both of them giggle happily as they are laid on the comfortable bed, seeing plates of food and drink prepared for them, the first hot meal they have had in a long time.

"Now please enjoy the food. We aren't sure what you'd like so we had a little bit of everything made for you two," Cadance says as she looks over at Shining.

Both of the foals thank them numerous times before starting to eat their food happily.

“Now don’t eat too fast now. Don’t want a belly ache before you open your presents…” Shining says teasingly to them.

"Presents?!" The two both asks shocked as they turn their attention from the food to Shining Armor who was whispering something into his wife's ear.

Shining nods to them. “Mmhmm. It is Hearth’s Warming Eve and what’s Heart’s Warming Eve without little ones opening their presents?”

"Y-You did that for us?" The young filly asks looking at them both with so much shock that they were surprised she didn't become a ghost.

“Of course, why wouldn’t we for cute foals like yourselves?”

"C-Cute?" The filly asks again and then feels Cadance gently ruffle her mane.

“Well, you two are…” she grins, fixing the filly’s mane into a ponytail. “Now eat you two, but not too fast, then we can open presents.”

"Thank you Princess... Thank you both so much," The filly says with a smile and slowly starts eating the hot food, loving how it filled her belly and gave her a warm feeling.

Cadance and Shining Armor grin as the two foals enjoy their hot meal and drink, letting the food warm their empty bellies.

“How was the food you two?” Shining asks with a grin, seeing them finish their plates.

"That was great!" They both say patting their full bellies as they relax as the food inside them makes them feel kind of sleepy.

“I’m happy to hear that. Now, want to open your presents here or by the tree?” Cadance says happily, giggling to herself as the colt burps.

"Excuse me... umm, what do you think sister?" He asks after covering his mouth with a hoof.

“W-Why not under the tree… I-It’s been a while,” she replies, burping shortly after with a blush afterwards. “Excuse me…”

"Don't worry about it you two. After all, I think Shiny and I can overlook it this one time; your burping anyway," Cadance says with a teasing smile.

“Besides, Hearth’s Warming Eve comes only once a year,” he grins at them. “Now come on! You have presents to open!”

"Thank you both so much!" The two excited foals say with smiles on their faces as Cadance and Shining Armor both pick up one of them and gently lay them on their backs as they walk to where they had put their tree.

The foals gasp as they enter the room with the beautifully decorated tree. The tree had ornaments and lights of every color and size imaginable on it. They also see presents surround it, wrapped in colorful paper and ribbons.

"So? What do you two think?" Cadance asks as they enter the warm and decorated room of the castle.

“I-It’s… It’s…” the colt gasps at a loss for words as he hears his sister finish his sentence.

“…so beautiful!” she says, finishing his statement with awe in her eyes.

"Now who wants to open their present first?" Shining Armor asks as they set the foals down on the carpeted floor and then sit on the couch against the wall.

“I-I don’t know… It’s been a while since we’ve done something like this…” the colt softly says, looking at Shining Armor before turning back to his sister. “Do you want to, sister?”

"Go ahead brother... I can wait," She says then boops his nose gently with a hoof.

“But, you’re the younger one though…”

"Ok if you insist," She says then steps toward the small mountain of presents before the young ones. "Are they all for us?”

Both Cadance and Shining nod to them silently with grins. “However, the ones with hints of pink are for you,” Cadance points out, looking at the filly.

“And the ones with a hint of blue are for you. Don’t worry, you have an equal amount of presents,” Shining adds.

"Thank you both so much," the young filly says then pulls on of the presents from near the top of the small mountain and slowly tears into the wrapping paper with her stronger magic.

The filly gasps as she pulls out her present from the box. “A stuffed bear! I’ve always wanted one!” she grins happily and cuddles with it, feeling its soft material against her fur.

"You're welcome... We did some shopping before we found you and if I remember right, I saw you looking at that toy before," Cadance says with a smile.

“Oh thank you so much Cadance! I love it!”

"You're welcome, now let's let your brother open a present," Cadance says and then nuzzles Shining's cheek gently as the colt flutters his wings and starts lifting off of the ground slowly.

“I think he should like his presents,” Shining whispers to his wife before hearing the colt gasp, seeing his present.

"Oh my goodness! It's that ball I w-was looking at before. But ho-how did you two know?" He asks happily as he picks the ball up with his hooves.

“Lucky guess?” Shining grins at him, seeing his eyes glow with happiness.

"Oh! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" He says as he hugs Shining's and Cadance's forelegs tightly.

“You’re most welcome little one. But that’s just one present. You and your sister have many more to open,” Cadance grins at him, patting his head softly.

"We can't begin to thank you both!" The young foals say smiling up at them, being the happiest they've been in a while after spending several lonely months on the street.

“There is no need to. Every young colt and filly, like yourselves, deserve to have a gift to lift your spirits,” Shining says to them, encouraging them to open more presents as he and his wife see the glow in their eyes with every new present they open.

"Looks like you two have lots of toys to keep you occupied for a long time huh?" Shining Armor says with a smile as the two little ponies are surrounded by toys.

“I think so! I love every one of them!” the colt says to Shining, playing with a wooden train.

“I do too!” the filly adds, hugging one of her stuffed animals.

"We knew you'd love them and we still have one more big gift for the two of you," Cadance says with a smile and winks at her husband.

“What? There’s another present? Where is it?” the colt asks, not seeing any more wrapped presents around the tree.

"It's not a wrapped present, we have a question for you. Since you were homeless before we took you two in, would you like to be our foals?" Cadance asks the two young foals before her.

“Y-You mean… a-adopt us?” the filly asks, tears of joy filling her eyes, hearing her brother quiver.

"Yes. We talked it over and since I'm unable to have foals of my own, we thought that adopting would be our best bet to have a family," Cadance says softly.

The young colt and filly quiver for a few moments, letting her words sink in, before running over to them and hugging their legs happily, beginning to cry tears of joy.

Cadance and Shining Armor hug the foals gently and then nuzzle the one who they were hugging gently. "So that's a yes?" Shining asks softly already knowing their answer.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” the colt says as he hugs Shining’s leg tightly.

"Cadance, I think we've made their Hearth's Warming Eve the best one ever," Shining says and then feels the colt he had been hugging pull away from him only for the filly to take his place.

“I would think their, and our best, ever,” Cadance says softly to her husband, kissing his cheek. “Little ones? What should we call you?”

"Um... to be hon-honest... it's been so long since we've even said our names..." The colt says softly being completely honest.

“Would you like new names for you and your sister then?”

"We-We'd be honored," The filly and colt say with a smile.

“Alright then. How about Bright Shield for you…” Shining Armor says to the colt.

“…and Crystal Light for you. What do you think?" Cadance asks her.

“I-I love it!” she grins, hugging her leg as does her brother with Shining’s leg. “Thank you… mommy and daddy!” both say in unison.

Cadance and Shining Armor look at each other with happy smiles then lean down and nuzzle their children gently knowing that they'd be happy for a long time. "We love you both too," Cadance says with a smile.

Both of the young foals nuzzle their new parents before looking up in the night sky, through the massive glass windows and see two comets slowly streaking in the sky. “Sister! Look!” the colt calls out.

The other three look up out the window and see the last lights of the shooting stars as they vanish from sight. "Shooting stars? What luck!" Cadance says with a smile as Crystal Light trots to the window.

“Do you think its…?” Bright Shield says, looking at the twin comets.

"Maybe it could be, your parents telling you that you'll be ok," Shining Armor says walking up to the window with Cadance as they all look up into the sky.

“Hi mommy… Hi daddy… We’ll make you happy, we promise…” the colt says softly, pressing his hoof on the glass, looking at the comets in the night sky, a lone tear running down his cheek, feeling his sister nuzzle him.

"Don't worry... we'll make them proud, I just know it," Crystal Light says earning a gentle pat on the back from Cadance.

“You both will. Both of them will make our lives full of joy and happiness,” she says reassuringly.

"Thank you mother," Their daughter says happily and then looks back up into the night sky.

The newly formed family watches the comets streak across the clear sky, knowing that both Cadance and Shining Armor, along with their children, Crystal Light and Bright Shield, would be a happy, loving family, making this Hearts Warming Eve, the best ever for all of them.

Author's Note:

A few days past Heart's Warming, but still, relatively close enough. X3 Hope you enjoyed it! :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 7 )

6778182 Oh, I see. Duly noted. Will go and edit accordingly. Thanks for the info!

So. Cute.:rainbowkiss:

6779513 I'm happy you think so. :twilightsmile:

Great little story.

In answer to your comment of:

Also, this is based on a short story I read while I was in college, but I can't remember the name of it though.

I believe that the short story your referring to is "The Little Match Girl" By Hans Christian Andersen. Written in 1845. (No that is not a typo. it was written in December, 1845)

The Monk

8084374 I'm sure that's the story I read when I was in college that this story was based off of. Thanks very much for finding it! I was looking for it for the longest time! Thanks again! :twilightsmile:

8088832

No Problem. We have all been there. Having read a short story that impacted us, and having no idea the name or Author years later when thinking back on it.

If your interested, there is a great little flash cartoon on Newgrounds.com for The Little Match Girl, and it is one of the best I have ever seen. I believe its by Tom Fulp, but don't quote me on that. I'm working from an extremely bad memory.

The Monk.

8089468 Okay, I'll check that out then! Thanks for the recommendation!

Login or register to comment