• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 1,079 Views, 40 Comments

Star Wars Episode I: Revenge of the Empire (CANCELLED) - KyleHillVA



Cheerilee, Jedi Knight of the Galactic Republic, is sent on a mission to the far-flung world of Iliodonna...

  • ...
7
 40
 1,079

Twilight Sparkle and the Governess

The wind whipped at Cheerilee’s mane as the airspeeder glided through the late afternoon sky. The wind bit at her causing her to tighten her robes slightly while her ‘tour guide’ gave her the tour. Most of it went in one ear and out the other as the younger mare droned on like a tenured professor skilled at putting their students to sleep. The domed roofs of the the city’s citizens speed by beneath the pair as residents enjoyed the midday weather. As Cheerilee observed the cityscape stretching out under them, it quickly became apparent why many traders called this port The Great Forest of the Outer Rim. The pine colored skyscrapers bathed in orange starlight made Cheerilee feel uncomfortable, as if she were back in the forests of Dunmer.

At least I'm having a quick look around, She thought to herself, looking down at a traffic jam below, thankful that Twilight possessed a higher altitude vehicle.

"... And if you'll look to your left, you'll find the crashed wreckage of a pirate cruiser that..."

Cheerilee's ears perked up, a frown appearing on her face. "Twilight?"

"The amount of ships we lost was astron- yes?" Said the unicorn, looking over with a questioning look on her face.

"How old are you?"

"Nineteen, why?"

Cheerilee's eyes widened with surprise, "Nineteen? Impressive, considering your position."

Twilight shrugged, "I'm told that I do a good job. And since the planet hasn't collapsed yet, I guess I'm told correctly." Twilight looked back at the city, a large grin appearing on her face. "If you'll look over there, you'll see one of our most recent additions, a state-of-the-art communications array!"

Cheerilee perked up at this, looking towards the tower, "Can we make a quick stop there?"

Twilight looked back at her, "Whatever for?"

"It's a part of my mission profile," Cheerilee explained.

Twilight looked down at a chronometer on the speeder's dashboard, then looked back up at the tower, "Hm... I don't know, that may make us late."

Cheerilee waved her hand near Twilight's face, "Can't we just get it out of the way real quick?"

Twilight raised an eyebrow, "What're you doing?"

Cheerilee sat back into her seat, crossing her arms, "Nothing, never mind." She huffed.

Twilight sighed, turning the craft towards the comms array and making her descent, "Fine, but make it quick..."

Cheerilee smiled, patting Twilight on the shoulder, "Thank you."

Twilight nodded, the speeder landing perfectly in the space, "Another happy landing!"

Cheerilee hopped from the craft as soon as it touched ground, taking a few steps before turning around to see Twilight was still sitting in the airspeeder. "What're you doing? I thought you were giving me a tour."

Twilight looked uneasily past Cheerilee for a second, then turned back and smiled at her, patting the side of the her craft. "I'm staying while she's still running. I want to spend as little time here as possible."

Cheerilee shrugged, turning back towards the building, "Alright, I'll be sure to hurry."

Cheerilee walked through the door to find the array empty of Ponies, save for a young wiry stallion spinning around his seat, he stopped when he saw her and raised an eyebrow, "Who're you?" He asked in a suspicious tone.

Cheerilee approached him, moving her robe aside to flash him her lightsaber, "I've just got a few questions to ask you."

The piebald stallion leaned back, placing his hands behind his head, "Shoot."

"Over the last week, the Senate has been trying to contact you. Is there any reason why you haven't responded to their transmissions?"

The stallion sat up, a shocked look on his face, "Th-the Senate!?" He let out a quiet groan and placed his face in his hands, "I'm sorry, but this happens sometimes... That red giant up there will issue its own radiowaves that disrupt our long-range transmissions. Sorry if we caused a ruckus..." He let out a long sigh.

Cheerilee frowned and lifted her left arm up, inputting data into a device on her forearm. Well, thank explains that... "Thank you..." She looked at his badge, "Pipsqueak."

Pipsqueak just nodded, turning away from the Jedi. As she walked out, she heard him say something to someone, but couldn't make out his words. She began approaching Twilight, "Twilight, mind if I ask you something?"

Twilight looked at her and smiled, "Anything!"

Cheerilee climbed back in next to Twilight, "Has there ever been any transmission issues caused by radiowaves the sun exudes before?"

Twilight stroked her chin, thinking for a moment before shaking her head, "No, I can't say that our sun has even sent out radiowaves before..."

Cheerilee nodded, Interesting. "Thank you."

Twilight nodded, lifting the airspeeder off the ground, “Well, thanks to your little detour, I have to skip over some of the other landmarks I was hoping to show you.” Twilight turned the airspeeder towards a large, ornate building. The whole thing looked as if it was made out of emerald-colored marble, the red sunlight reflecting spectacularly off the dodecahedral roof.

Twilight proudly directed her hand towards the structure, a large smile beaming from her face, "And there is the pride and joy of Iliodonna! The Capital! Personally, I think that whoever named it wasn't very creative, but it can't be changed now!"

Cheerilee chuckled, a slight smirk appearing on her face, “Yeah, sounds like a real idiot. I’m assuming that we’re going to see this Governess now?”

“Mhmm! She’s had a banquet prepared in your honor.”

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow,”Is that really necessary?”

Twilight shrugs, “Eh, I didn’t think any of this was, but she insisted."

Cheerilee looked back at the building, folding her arms across her chest, “Well then, let's get this over with...”

***

Cheerilee followed Twilight through the high arched hallways of the building, their hoofsteps echoing back at them as they approached a pair of large, ornately-carved doors, the decadent portal opening with a loud hiss!

The room through the door matched the corridor, green walls with a yellow floor and ceiling made from marble. Circular carvings adorned the walls, with the odd painting. She saw a group of officials sitting and talking around a large banquet table, covered in all manner of food. A hush suddenly descending over the group as she and Twilight walked in through the doors.

She looked at all their faces, expressions ranging from awe to underwhelmed. It was obvious that none of these ponies had seen a Jedi before. Or at least not in a long while.

At the head of a table sat a bespectacled mare, probably in her fifties. Her coat was cream-colored, and her mane was a light grey. Her eyes were what Cheerilee noticed first. A deep sapphire behind the round glasses. She was wearing charcoal colored robes that were covered in a white floral pattern.

Twilight quickly walked past her and sat down next to the Governess, tapping on her shoulder and motioning at Cheerilee with her head. "Oh! Right..." She heard the official say. The Governess stood up, supporting herself on a simple black cane, lifting up a glass to towards her guest of honor, "A toast to our visitor, the Jedi Master!"

Cheerilee forced a smile, giving the diners a wave. "Hello."

The Governess motioned to an empty chair to her right as Cheerilee made her way to her seat, sitting down and letting out a deep breath.

After a few awkward moments, the room resumed its talkative state, the sound of chatter and silverware on dishes filling the hall. Cheerilee looked down at her plate, a rather large, oval-shaped spiky blue fruit, with orange squiggly lines running down the sides, was taking up most of it. She waved her hand over it, the skin peeling itself, revealing its neon-green insides.

As she picked up her spoon to scoop out some of the fruit, the Governess cleared her throat quietly, Cheerilee stopping to look up at her as the spoon began digging into the fruit's flesh. "Yes?"

The Governess clapped her hands together, breathing deeply. "Well, I just wanted to say what an honor it is to have you here, Master Cheerilee!"

Cheerilee smiled blankly at her, "The feeling is..." She inhaled, pursing her lips. "... Mutual." She returned to her fruit.

Twilight tapped on the Governess' shoulder, handing her the Datapad she had been carrying around with her throughout the day. "Here's the list of problems that need addressing, and that have been completed."

The Governess took the device, "Thank you." She began reading it, stopping after a moment, "Ah! Yes, I just remembered. We need to send a fruit basket to the ambassador from Cah, Car..."

"Cawrigakiev." Twilight corrected her.

The Governess snapped her fingers, "Ah yes! Cawrigakiev! Be sure to include some Ventran apples, and a few Talosian pears."

"The Cockatiel's are allergic to all forms of pears, remember?"

"Oh. Then be sure to include some more of the apples, then."

"Yes ma'am."

Cheerilee sat and watched the two silently, slowly chewing on the savory fruit.

The Governess frowned at the Datapad, "Twilight, what's this about the south sides water main being repaired? I don't remember approving such a project..."

"Well, it's been needing it for months, and you hadn't exactly done anything about it, and the area was starting to smell-"

"Oh! I mean... I don't remember you bringing this up with me in a timely manner!" She wiggled her finger at Twilight, "I thought you were better than to let something like that go unnoticed by me for so long!"

Twilight sighed, "Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry, ma'am."

The Governess smiled at her, "Good. I hope that my best secretary isn't starting to slip!" She read the Datapad for a few more minutes, setting the device down and inhaling deeply, letting out a loud sigh. "So, where were we?" She said to Cheerilee.

Cheerilee picked up her glass and took a drink, "You said hello."

"Ah! Right, right... Well, it's not often we get a Jedi in this system, let alone a Master! And one of your status? You've done many a mighty deed for the Republic."

Cheerilee smiled at her, "It's just my job."

The Governess continued on, as if she hadn't heard Cheerilee say anything, "Your negotiations with the Robins, your takedown of the Silurian slaver consortium, and who could forget the battle of Dunmur! Oh, all those dreadful pirates, how badly were you outnumbered, again?"

Cheerilee tensed up, gently setting down her fork, "I- I don't quite remember..." She lied.

The Governess began stroking her chin in thought. "Oh, what was it... Thirty-to-one?"

"Fifteen. Fifteen-to-one." Cheerilee quietly corrected her, taking a deep breath.

"Ah, yes! I knew you remembered!" She gave her a knowing smile, "Oh, the stories I've heard! Must've been glorious!"

Cheerilee shook her head, "No, no it wasn't."

Twilight slowly raised her hand, "Um, ma'am-"

The Governess ignored them both, "The way you took change and valiantly led against those vagabonds! Not losing a single Jedi in the charge-"

Cheerilee forced a smile, her head starting to hurt as the official kept going on. "I'm afraid that's another lie."

The Governess looked shocked, "What? a Jedi Knight falling prey to pirates?! I'm sorry, but I find that impossible to believe! How were you sure that this... 'Jedi' wasn't just someone posing-"

Twilight looked at the Governess with an appalled look, "M-ma'am!"

The Governess quickly turned to her, "What?"

Twilight motioned her head towards Cheerilee, who had raised her glass for another drink. Cheerilee set the glass down roughly, standing up and pushing herself away from the table. She turned and almost ran from the table towards the door.

"Wait! Where are you going?" She heard the Governess yelled after her.

She growled quietly to herself, "Jedi business, I've gotta go now!" The annoyance was obvious to everypony.

She walked out of the banquet hall, the Governess turning to Twilight, "Was it something I said...?"

***

Cheerilee continued rushing down the corridor, moving fast enough that her brown robe was billowing behind her. She stopped a few moments later when she noticed a small door. Sensing it was a supply closet, she opened the door and locked herself in. Turning around, she let out a loud shout as she pounded her fist once against the door.

She turned and slumped out onto the floor, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, leaning forward and holding her face in her hands. Letting out a few shuddering sobs.

After a moment, she had stopped crying, and wiped her face with her sleeve. She started meditating, trying to focus on everything but the episode she had just caused in the dining hall. She took a deep breath, the familiar, mechanical voice of her master filling her ears as his words came to the forefront of her mind...

"Cheerilee, emotions are a natural part of life. Joy, anger, sadness, fear, love, hate, compassion... Don't be ashamed, everyone in the universe experiences these feelings. Though while there's nothing wrong with them, you must remember not to let them consume you. Especially fear, anger, hate, envy, lust. These will certainly lead you onto the path of Darkness. Do you understand?"

"Yes..." She let out a long, shuddering breath she didn't realize she was holding. She smiled softly to herself, standing up and stretching.

She froze, a nagging feeling to leave the closet permeating though her mind. She obeyed it, unlocked the door and stepping out into the corridor. Hearing the sound of hooves approaching, she turned towards it, spotting the form of Twilight Sparkle coming towards her. "There you are!" She exclaimed, "I'm so, so sorry for what she said back there. She's terrible at picking up social cues. I often wonder how she got her job..." Twilight by now had reached Cheerilee, who responded by giving the young unicorn a quick hug.

"All's forgiven, Twilight..."

"O-oh, well, ok..." Twilight stood there quietly for a moment, before clearing her throat, "Is there, um, anything I can do for you?"

Cheerilee ran a hand through her mane, looking around and exhaling loudly through her nostrils. "Yeah. If it's not to much trouble, mind giving me a lift back to my ship? I haven't slept in days."

Twilight smiled, "I can do that, let's go!"

***

A little while later, the pair arrive at the SunGem, SP1 rolling down the exit ramp and letting out a series of distressed beeps and whistles as they step out of the airspeeder. Cheerilee looked at him in disbelief, "What?!" She nearly shouted.

Twilight looked betwixt the two, a concerned look on her face, "What? What's wrong?"

Cheerilee quickly strode up the exit ramp, letting loose a loud growl, "He said that the hyperdrive motivator's out! But I just had this thing looked at before we came here!" An angry huff echoed from the ships interior.

Twilight followed her up the ramp, looking around the dirty interior with a mild look of disgust. "With how old this thing looks, I'm not surprised that it's broken down. Have you ever cleaned this thing?" SP1 pushed past her at the opening, rolling into a room off to the side of the exit.

Cheerilee's voice came from the same room, annoyed and indignant, "Excuse me, but I've been to busy focusing on galactic peace to worry much about this ship being spick and span!" Her head pokes from around the corner, an angry frown adorning her face, "And I'll have you know, this ship's not as old as she looks! She's just seen a lot of action."

Twilight held her hands up in surrender, following SP1 into the room with Cheerilee. "I'm sorry, I just called it as I saw it."

Cheerilee's angry frown turned into a concerned one, "Keep that up, and one day it'll kill you."

Twilight gave her a surprised look, "That's awfully grim, isn't it?"

Cheerilee shook her head, turning back and messing with an access panel in the wall, "Maybe, but I'm speaking from experience, Twilight." She removed the panel, setting it on the ground by her hooves and taking a look inside, "Hm..."

Twilight tried peeking in from behind Cheerilee, having little success, "What is it?"

"Someone's removed several power couplings..." Cheerilee turned her head towards the diminutive droid, "Did anyone board the ship while I was gone?"

The droid shook its head, a sad whistle emanating from its polygonal head. Cheerilee let out an annoyed huff, "What do you think 'stay here and watch the ship' means?"

Twilight held a finger up, "If I may interject, what's it saying?"

Cheerilee turns to Twilight, the annoyed frown once again on her face, "He's saying that he shut off to recharge the moment I left!" She turned toward him and gave his barrel a light kick, SP1 responding with an indignant whistle. "You deserved that one, you worthless scrap metal!"

SP1 looked up at her silently for a moment, then looked down towards the ground and responded with a low whistle.

Cheerilee relaxed her shoulders and let out a quiet sigh, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her muzzle, "Now you know I didn't mean that," She got down on one knee, eye level with the droid, "You know that I couldn't run half the things on this ship without you around." He looks up at her, letting out a series of smug beeps and whistles, "Now, I wouldn't go that far-"

Twilight cleared her throat, regaining the attention of the pair, "I think I'll go fix something to eat, we never exactly finished dinner..."

Cheerilee nodded, pointing out the door, "The kitchen's to the left of the main cabin, can't really miss it."

Twilight smiled, nodding back at the Jedi, "Thanks!" She turned and left the room, the sound of her hooves clattering loudly against the deck.

Cheerilee stood back up and faced the access panel, SP1 sounding a questioning beep. "I'm not entirely sure myself, I'll let you know when I find out."

Author's Note:

Wow, over 250 views! I didn't expect to get that many before the second chapter was released... Despite my shameless promotion across the whole site. Thanks to everyone who's read this far!

Anyways, please leave your opinion down below! And be sure to leave a like! (Or a dislike) and be sure to point out any spelling or grammatical errors you might come across!

And for anyone wondering, the third chapter will be out much faster than the first. Since I've already written most of it.

Comments ( 9 )

I'm a little surprised Cheerilee attempted the mind trick on someone she was just noting in the last chapter was super powerful with the force, albeit completely untrained. last I checked the two things needed to make that work were a lack of force sensitivity and a weak will, neither of which Twilight has given any indication of having.

That aside, the obvious conspiracy is becoming a bit more obvious now, and someone clearly doesn't want cheerilee leaving. Color me intrigued.

Looking forward to more.

An interesting story you have going here. I just hope Twilight is more Obi-Wan then Anakin. Now tracking this story.

Ok, we are getting some traction. Keep going!

6951565

I just forgot to fix "Stallions", that's all. I'm about to fix that.

6946563

Don't worry, I've got much more to tell! I'm assuming you liked the chapter?

6946501

You're going to have to keep reading to find that out~

6946494

Well, she wasn't exactly thinking properly. She's annoyed and hasn't slept in two days.

6951665 yes please!

Only two spelling mistakes in that last section which is good considering there could have been more. However it was good. Though more planet explosions would be nice:moustache: Gotta love planets going boom!:pinkiehappy:

But yes, good chapter. I like it.

Fantastic! I second the, "Another!" motion.
Can barely wait for chapter 3! :moustache:

I do like how in depth you go with story. You succeeded at immersing me into the story to keep me interested. I will admit that some of the star wars fics I've seen here were not really that good. But since I came across yours, I now believe other wise. I'm glad to of read this story and will be looking forward to the next chapter.

So, as a fan of Star Wars and MLP, I thoroughly enjoyed what we have in front of us here so far. I am certainly looking forward to how this continues. Keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment