• Published 5th Dec 2015
  • 631 Views, 10 Comments

Dragon on the Hearth - KidatHeart5



My first Hearth's Warming story! Spike plays the lead in a play about a small dragon helping a toymaker and his daughter. Based on the Rankin/Bass special "Cricket on the Hearth".

  • ...
3
 10
 631

Finale

The curtains opened to the happy scene. Shining Armor, Twilight, Flash, and Spike were all standing in front of a Hearth’s Warming tree, which was really just a prop. Spike narrated, “Oh, there never was such a Hearth’s Warming morning. Everypony was happier than larks. All except, uh…”

The door then burst open and Discord came in, shouting, “You had some nerve leaving me standing at the altar! What’s this? What’s this? What’s going on here anyway? And who is this?!”

Twilight said, “Oh, Mr. Saddleton. This is Edward Coltum, the colt I was engaged to before he went missing.”

“Well, you never told me you had a fiancé!”

Shining Armor said, “We assumed that he was lost at sea, but now he has returned to us!”

“Oh, that’s nice. Everypony gets a happy ending but me! I was the one who provided you with food and shelter! I was the one who gave a job! And now you have the nerve to turn your backs on me and leave me behind, even after all I’ve done for you…” His voice then broke as he said, “It’s not fair! I’m always the odd one out!” He then fell to the floor and collapsed into almost-real sobs. To Discord, this scene hit close to home, so he always got emotional when he acted it out. His tears were almost quite real.

Twilight said, “Oh, Mr. Saddleton! Mr. Saddleton, I’m so terribly sorry. But you see, my heart belongs to Edward. It always has.”

“Then why did you say ‘yes’ if you still loved him?”

“I thought he was gone!”

“But he came back, didn’t he?” He turned his back towards Twilight as he wept, “I’ll be alone…for the rest of my life...because no pony loves me!” He shed more tears at that moment.

“But we all love you, and there will always be a place in my heart for a fine, kind, noble, and handsome gentlecolt such as you.”

Discord sniffled, “’Fine’? ‘Kind’? ‘Noble’? And…and…’handsome’? Oh, I thought I’d never hear those words. You really think that?”

“But of course.” Twilight then kissed his cheek.

Discord jumped up and said in a merry tone, “Tell me, I feel good all over. Nopony ever said such nice things to me before.” He then flew around the stage and twirled as he said, “I feel light as a lark, happy as a hummingbird. Why? Why? I wonder why!”

When Discord landed on the floor, Spike told him, “Maybe because it’s Hearth’s Warming. It really is Hearth’s Warming.”

Discord laughed, “But of course! Of course!” He flew off the stage, shouting, “Happy Hearth’s Warming! Happy, happy Hearth’s Warming!”

Shining Armor told Spike, “Oh, Crocket, you’re the luckiest thing that ever happened to anypony!”

The audience clapped and cheered as the curtains closed. They opened again so that every actor bowed in order of importance in roles: the extras, the toys, Claude, Martingale, the animals, Flash Sentry, Discord, Twilight (who had taken off her contacts) and Shining Armor, and finally, Spike. Then they all bowed together and said, “Happy Hearth’s Warming, everypony!” The curtains then closed for the final time. Behind the curtains, everypony congratulated each other on a wonderful performance.

Discord walked up to Flash and Twilight and asked, “So, do you two have any plans for tonight?”

Twilight asked in a confused manner, “’Plans’?”

“Oh, come now, Twilight. You don’t mean say you don’t have feelings for this colt, do you?”

Both Flash and Twilight looked each other and said, “Feelings?”

Discord said, “Why, of course. You two obviously have a thing for each other.” Suddenly, he was pulled by the tail by a blue aura. He cried as he was being pulled away, “What-Hey! Hey! I’m just trying to get them to admit their feelings for one another!”

`Flash turned to Twilight and awkwardly asked, “So, um…What do you think that was about?”

“Oh, I think he’s trying to get us to admit we have feelings for each other.”

“Do you?”

“Do I what?”

Flash blushed, “Oh, never mind. It’s not that important, anyway.”

He turned to go, but was stopped by Twilight, who said, “Wait!”

He faced her and asked, “Yeah, Twilight?”

Twilight stuttered, “Er…I was wondering if you’d like to be a guard at the Castle of Friendship. Somepony had intruded once before and I want to avoid future incidents. Would you like to take up the position?”

Flash answered, “Uh…yeah, yeah! Of course I would.” He saluted before he continued, “It would be my honor, Your Highness.”

Twilight chuckled at that.

Discord, Cadance, and Fluttershy were watching them. Discord told the mares, “See? I told you they had a thing going on.”

Cadance said, “Yes, but it’s important that it grows over time.”

Fluttershy said, “She’s right. They need to take baby steps, Discord. Baby steps.”

Discord groaned, “Oh, fine, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on them.”

Cadance said, “You know what they say: a watched pot never boils.”

Both Cadance and Fluttershy laughed at this.


Spike began walking out to the lobby with the rest of the Mane Six.

Rainbow Dash praised, “Great performance, Spike.”

Pinkie Pie added, “Yeah, you really sold the crowd!”

Applejack said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if you became famous.”

Spike shrugged, “Yeah, it’d be nice, but I think it’d get too much for me.”

He then opened the door to the lobby and was greeted with a mass of adoring ponies.

“Spike, you’re great!” a stallion said.

“Superb!” a critic praised.

“Would you like to sign my autograph?” a young filly asked.

Spike took a pen and said, “Sure.”

Rarity said to him, “It seems like you’re a celebrity already, Spikey-Wikey.”

Spike agreed. Even though the celebrity life wasn’t for him, he loved it when he was appreciated every so often. But being loved by fans was nothing compared to being loved by his best friends.

Author's Note:

Happy Hearth’s Warming, folks! I hope you liked this story!