• Published 30th Nov 2015
  • 1,487 Views, 13 Comments

Equestria: The War Against King Sombra - xXCrossArrowXx



The tale of the war between Equestria and the Crystal Empire (based off the alternate timeline in the season 5 finale)

  • ...
1
 13
 1,487

Chapter 1- Declaration of War

Celestia paced back and forth, impatiently waiting at the castle doors. She didn't know what to expect when those doors would open. She had been waiting for so long that she had to finally lower the sun to give way to the night. There had been nothing so far… she was beginning to fear the worst. Cadence was there with her, she had a team of medics standing by in case any of the troops had been attacked. Then she heard it, hoof steps approaching. She heard voices outside the door yelling,

"Make room, he's in critical condition! Let us pass!"

Quickly, she opened the doors with her magic and two of her guards came running in. On both their backs was the body of Shining Armor, covered his cuts and wounds that still bled. Celestia was horrified at the sight before her, how could she let this happen…? Cadence and her team quickly rushed over with a mat that she let the guards lay down the injured Shining Armor on. He was limp, his eyes closed. Cadence sat down next to him while her team readied their medical supplies. With everything now out and organized she turned her attention to Shining.

"Hello! Solider, please wake up…"

A nurse placed a wet rag over his forehead and the rest of the nurses stepped back. There was nothing. Cadence set an ear against his chest and listened. Bump….bump…She let out a sigh of relief, he was alive. Suddenly he coughed and his body began to struggle immediately. Cadence set a hoof on his chest to keep him still.

"Shhh, hey soldier it's alright. You're back in Canterlot now."

Shining's eyes slowly opened, and he was met with the lilac colored eyes of Cadence. He finally calmed down but was awe struck. She was the most beautiful mare he'd ever seen…

"I'm…Shining Armor."

She didn't know why, but him introducing himself made her smile. So, this was the Captain of the Royal Guard?

"I'm Princess Cadence, I don't think we've met properly."

Shining's eyes widened a bit. He'd never met Princess Cadence before since most his orders were always given by Celestia. Now that he had, he couldn't take his eyes off her. He bet he looked liked hell too.

Celestia approached the two of them now and Cadence got out of her way. She and the nurses began to take out gauze wraps to tend to Shining's wounds. Celestia almost couldn't bear the site of her commanding officer. He was beaten up so badly she was surprised he made it out alive.

"Shining Armor, I know that you've gone through an experience unimaginable. But I must request that you inform me of what happened with Sombra."

Shining finally looked away from Cadence and at Celestia. Memories of the battle were coming back to him and he sighed. He lifted his head and cringed at a gash that burned on the back of his neck. Cadence quickly moved the wet rag to the back of his neck and it relieved some of the pain. Taking a deep breath he began to recall exactly what happened.

"When we got there Sombra came down to meet us. He was calm at first and read your scroll. Then he burned it and attack us. He used his magic to summon sharp crystals from the ground. Half the squadron was killed; just like that. Sombra quickly deflected me and killed off all of the soldiers on his own. I thought it was over for me too… then he told me tell you that, "he wouldn't stop until every soldier was dead, and all of Equestria was his to rule." Then he just let me go. I guess he wanted somepony to give you the news, I was just lucky enough to be the one."

Shining hated being the only pony left alive while all his soldiers, all his friends were dead. It wasn't fair… some Captain of the Royal Guard he was.

"Thank you Shining Armor. I'm very sorry that you had to go through that."

"It's alright Celestia. I knew what I was getting myself into when I became Captain of the Royal Guard and the troops knew it too. They all fought hard for Equestria, they died with honor."

"And they will all be remembered," she turned to her guards," tonight we will hold a ceremony for the soldiers who have died in battle. Inform all their families immediately."

Her guards bowed their heads and left through the castle doors. She glanced down at Shining who gave a nod of approval before resting his head back down.

"I also require that this ceremony be broadcasted. For tonight I will have to also announce the declaration of war."

The words held heavy on her tongue and tasted bitter. She didn't want it to come to this, but she was not going to give up Equestria so easily. She knew as their princess what she had to do.

"Shining Armor, I'd hate to ask of you this in your current state. But would you be willing to attend the ceremony and speak to the ponies?"

Shining looked over himself and set his hooves on the ground. He struggled to stand, the pain was almost unbearable. Cadence came to his side and helped lift him up though, and he smiled. Now on all his hooves, he looked up at Celestia with great respect.

"Of course, your highness. Everypony deserves to know what has happened today."

Celestia nodded and beckoned him to follow her. Shining glanced over at Cadence who rested a wing across his back. He was thankful she was so willing to help him; now together they followed behind Celestia.

"Come then, we must discuss what we will be said at this ceremony. Because all that happens today and tonight… will forever be remembered in the history of Equestria."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon the steps of the castle were the photographs of the soldiers who had passed. Ponies from all around were gathered there to mourn. Candles and flowers were placed gently around the memorial sites by the families and loved ones of the deceased ponies. All around sobs could be heard and soft whispers that said "it's going to be ok…"

Celestia stood at the top of the steps, greeting every pony who came up to her. For each pony she thanked and apologized. She thanked them for coming, thanked them for being strong, and thanked them for letting the pony they had come to mourn be apart of the royal guard. She also apologized, for their loss, their heartbreak, and reassured them that their loved one would not be forgotten. Soon all the ponies had gathered in one large crowd; Celestia took this opportunity to began the ceremonial speech. She nodded to Cadence, who was standing next to Shining Armor, to begin the broadcast. Cadence unfolded her wings and lifted herself into the sky. At the sight of Cadence above them, the ponies began to quiet down and shush each other.

"Attention ponies. Celestia will now give you all a ceremonial speech. What will be said is very important, so I ask we all give our full attention to her. Thank you, and may your loved ones rest in peace."

With that said, Cadence turned to Celestia and her horn began to glow. A beam of light shot from her horn and was now shining down on Celestia. This spell began to emit a signal that could be picked up only by guards who possessed magic. All across Equestria were unicorn guards who cast a spell that brought up a movie like screen. On it was the ceremony, now being broadcasted live for all around them to hear. Seeing that the broadcast was now live, Celestia took a deep breath in before beginning her speech.

"My loyal subjects, my friends, my family. We're all gathered hear tonight because of a great tragedy. The pictures you see below me are pictures of the soldiers who have lost their lives today. Now, I know you're all wondering how they lost their lives, and I regret to inform you the news is indeed frightening to hear."

She paused to look at the ponies's concerned faces, all waiting to hear what had murdered their loved ones.

"Thousands of years ago, a place called the Crystal Empire used to exist. It was a place of crystal ponies whose magic was based on the power of love that powered a crystal heart. But the empire was taken over by an evil unicorn known as King Sombra. He turned their empire into a place of fear and hate. With Luna and I's powers combined, we were both able to stop him before real damage could be done. However, he set a curse upon the empire that caused it to vanish into thin air. Only till now has it returned… but it's brought King Sombra along with it."

She paused again to let the ponies take in what they were hearing. Many of them began to discuss, but Celestia needed to carry on.

"Today, I sent out a squadron to try and reason with Sombra. Sadly, he didn't agree to my terms and now the only pony left from the battle is my Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor."

Hearing his cue, Shining limped up next to Celestia and presented himself to the crowd. Many gasped at the many scars and bandages covering his body. Celestia nodded down to him and he stepped forward to speak.

"Citizens of Equestria, my name is Shining Armor, and I was the pony who led the squadron to confront Sombra. As their Captain, as their friend, my heart aches for their losses. They were some of the best troops I've never known. They all fought till their last breath, for Equestria, for your safety. They will not be forgotten, that is why we are dedicating a wing of the castle as a memorial in their honor. The names and photos of all who have died in battle will be put up upon the walls. This wing will be open to anypony who wishes to view it, so that future generations may know of their brave sacrifices."

The sound of hooves clapping filled the area and ponies of the crowd cheered loudly. Shining was brought to tears from his speech and stepped back to stand next to Celestia again.

Celestia leaned towards him and smiled, whispering, "You did great."

Shining brought a hoof up to wipe his eyes and nodded. Celestia now stepped forward, waiting for the crowd to die down before she could continue. She knew this would be the most important part of the speech to deliver.

"What Sombra did today was unforgivable, and intolerable. He has… declared war on Equestria."

Gasps and shouts erupted from the crowd in shock at the news. Celestia raised a hoof to silence them and lowered it back down.

"My subjects, I cannot replace what Sombra has taken from you all today. Your family, your friends. But, I can promise you that they will not die in vain. King Sombra should've thought twice before challenging our strength. Because we are Equestria and we've been through hell and back. When there is a threat we stand and fight because this is our home! We worked for it, built it, and have created a land of peace and harmony. We haven't come this far to let a being of pure evil take over a land formed by love and friendship."

The ponies in the crowd were starting to perk up, fear was now being replaced by hope and inspiration. Cadence looked down at her aunt with pride; it was no wonder she looked up to her so much. Celestia had her way with words, and could inspire an entire world if she wanted to. Celestia stood tall, her wings outspread and eyes glowing to present her power.

"We are Equestria, and together we posses enough power to defeat any evil. This is why I've decided to go to war with King Sombra. We will show him what we all can do together. We will take back the Crystal Empire, and we will protect Equestria!"

The crowd burst into a flurry of cheers, their princess's speech had done it's job. Ponies across Equestria of all kinds were inspired. Some were even brought to tears by her words. Celestia lowered her wings and her eyes returned to normal. Yes…she did believe they could do it.

"Now, if we all follow along with my plans and orders, we should have everything to win this war. I'm calling out for a wide scale request to help the cause. Every pony must play their part to be successful. Orders and commands will be sent out by mail, and we are currently accepting any pony who's above the age of 18 to enlist in our army. As for your children, I've organized a group of my soldiers to build camps near every city and town. In these camps we'll provide food, shelter, education, and protection for your young. The times ahead of won't be easy, but as long as we work together, we can win this fight."

Ponies began to mumble to each other once again, discussing what would become of Equestria during the war. No pony knew for sure, but they did know they had a chance.

"Thank you all, for meeting with me here today. And to those tuning in, my guards will answer any questions you may have. I wish you the best of luck Equestria, and may this war end quickly."

With those last words, the speech and broadcast was over… and the war was officially underway.

Author's Note:

First chapter! Wow, so far a positive feedback from the prologue. I'm glad you guys are liking my story! Yes I know, this story is going to be done 100 times but... I just really want to write about it. So enjoy! give me your opinions and be expecting chapter 2 soon.

Comments ( 7 )

Ah, jeez. They don't know what they're getting themselves into.

If they only knew what's coming.... so far the story is good and has much potential giving that we're starting at the beginning of the war. Looking forward to more!

I'm definitely interested in this fic just... Why are Celestia's special forces so useless and why just before a war waste troops like that (Celestia had to think it likely he would reject the offer). She definitely should have gone herself (with the troops) or sent a lone (duo of) messager(s). Also have to say the peace thing itself is a terrible idea all it does is give Sombra a chance to build up and attack whenever he's ready/whenever he can do the most damage in one stroke.( no way you can trust that guy)

That said, looking forward to the next chapter, also looking forward to seeing what you do with Twilight.

It's the Cadian gate all over again!

What a strange coincidence, I'm doing something that's kinda similar.

Gonna have to check you this out.

Login or register to comment