• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 750 Views, 8 Comments

Starry Night - Detsella Morningdew



My name is Starry Night, and my life has never exactly been normal. Living around Twilight Sparkle ensures that. But that is not normally the cause of my problems. Trouble finds me just fine.

  • ...
3
 8
 750

Epilogue: On Top of the World

Twilight finished talking with Celestia, and we flew home.

If I had been paying attention, I would have noticed that she was acting a bit odd.

But I, for once, was not distracted by my new mission. It might actually work.

However, it would take an unimaginably long time. I studied old forms of orbital mechanics, and while they were long ago "disproven", they applied now. I knew what "high orbit" meant. I also knew what sort of distances needed to be traveled. It would take several months at least. Plans would need to be made to bring along supplies, like food, water, and air.

And what to do if we actually got there? Succeeded?

First, though, I would need to test my theory. No need to get ahead of myself.

So as soon as we arrived at the castle, and Twilight was inside, I took off again.

Twilight may have objected, but I was too excited to notice or care.

I sped up, and went straight up in the air, passing the sound barrier with a small boom.

I probably would have done a silent one, but honestly, I hadn't expected it to be so easy. I wasn't actually planning to do it yet.

It was quite a lot easier than last time. My magic abilities really had grown quite a lot.

I rocketed upwards, and I was right, in a way. This new magical field did reach a lot farther out than normal.

I contained some of the air into my "air shield", as I liked to call it, and went farther.

It did go into space. But unfortunately, it did have a limit.

It ended at a certain radius, probably somewhere around what some called the magnetosphere.

Maybe it should be called the magisphere as well.

Anyway, my air supply was running out, so I sped back towards the ground. Or maybe I should start calling it Equus now.

I am in space now, after all.

But the sound barrier wasn't quite enough.

Maybe. Maybe there was another way.

Another barrier to cross.

Sound wasn't the impossible barrier everypony thought it was.

Maybe the same could be said of light.



As it turns out, Twilight was angry with me. Something about taking off suddenly without telling her where I was going.

It's sometimes hard to remember that she can't hear my inner dialogue. I honestly forgot that I hadn't told her of my idea.

I told her my findings, although I left out the faster-than-light idea. Twilight tended to frown on crazy ideas that weren't hers.

She was quite interested in that separate magical field, and what it could mean.

But she didn't dwell on that long. There was something that she needed to tell me, and based on her emotions, she was reluctant to do so.

"You remember that discussion I had with Celestia?"

"The private one?"

"Yes, that one. It was about something that I probably should have told you ages ago. I just didn't know how."

"What do you mean?"

"I really should have told you when I first found out. The day I gave you that armor. The day you decided to dabble in the magics of the other races. And the day you succeeded with that task. You started the process."

"What are you talking about."

"You may have noticed a sharp increase in you magic. Maybe even a closer understanding of the magic of the other races. Perhaps a change in you own magical signature."

It had been a while since I had really looked at myself. My magic looked...different. In a way I couldn't quite identify. It just didn't look...didn't look quite like pegasus magic anymore.

"Starry Night, you are changing. It started the day you meddled with unicorn magic and survived. You are Ascending. You are, in essence, an Alicorn."

What.

Author's Note:

Okay, that was a big change, but for some of you, (especially those who have read Rites of Ascension) you already saw this coming.

I've actually been hinting at it for a while.

And no, it will not "ruin" the story.

And no, he will not become a "Gary Stu", blasting his way past any plot points in the story.

And I could also argue that he technically isn't a "new alicorn" either, as he is technically a fragment of Princess Luna.

This particular story arc will end in the next book. However, there is going to be a continuation, anyway, past the Nightmare story arc.

Comments ( 3 )

Great stories.
Would love to read a sequel to it. Was the deleted one really that bad?

9773759
Yes. Yes it was. I was extremely new to writing in general, and when I looked back at it, I couldn't even think of a way to rewrite it properly. While I have already forgotten what it was about, I do know that despite my Author's Note, he was already a bit of a Stu. Things were going too well for him, and then the alicorn bit afterwards.

I might have tried again, but right now, I'm working on several stories at once, none of which I want to drop to work on something new.

I'm glad you liked this though, and sorry it had to end on a cliffhanger like this.

Love this story, but have questions. When did starr change his name? The other is will you one day make a sequel now that you got even better at writing?

Login or register to comment