• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 2,032 Views, 264 Comments

The normal life of Nitpick Bittersweet - Ryusun



Meet Nitpick Bittersweet, a painfully average guy who transfered to CHS in his second year of High School. There he will learn the values of life with other people and how to be someone more likable. This is his story.

  • ...
31
 264
 2,032

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46- The Romance of the same Coin!

How did they end up like this? What kind of silly joke from The Truth that rules everything was this? A senseless stage, an embarrassing situation, and most importantly, the feeling that this was destined to be. The hunch that this event was part of a higher plan was irresistible but unwelcomed at best.

The subtle idea that this was something that Fate bestowed upon him was sickening and distasteful! For Nitpick Bittersweet, such nonsense was only for the weak in spirit. He had jokingly said that things happen for a reason before, but to truly embrace the idea that things are written in stone and the events of his life were already planned by the will of a higher power was simply stupid for him.

Worse still, he had mixed feelings with this outcome. In one hand, everything could go to damnation. There was no weapon more destructive and dangerous than the rejection of someone you wished to know better. But if he plays his cards right, perhaps there could be a chance to meet the real Sunset Shimmer at last!

Rumors of her old self was a curiosity that he wished to sate, but he well knows to not dwell in peoples past deeds if they wished to keep it to themselves. Such kind of privacy must be respected, even treasured at times. If a kind of chemistry existed between the two, maybe one day they could become more than simple acquaintances. Baby steps were the way to do things while giving subtle signs of what a guy wanted with a girl of his interest.

‘I must me brave like Big Mac’ he convincingly thought to himself.

On the other hand, Sunset Shimmer had in her mind that this was another test for her to overcome. Hard to believe that she just came to this plaza only to buy some science magazines that weren’t sold in Ponyville in the first place. Putting aside the embarrassing moment that leaded to this unusual date, she had the idea that hanging out with him would help her in understand why he acted bipolar in school.

Small glimpses of his attitude on this date will certainly be useful, especially if she wished to know where to extract the poison of unfriendliness in him and give Twilight the tools she needed to put him on the right path.

‘This is perfect!’ Sunset thought. With this she could eat two apples with a single bite! Help Twilight with the gift of sharing the Magic of Friendship and for Nitpick to recognize his mistakes and make amends with the people on the school.

Both of them shared one idea in common, though. They both had in mind the same thing…

‘How do I start this date?’ was the common ground for them.

Both were afraid in ending up saying something stupid at this point. Nitpick had the fear that Sunset accepted his date as a kind of pity thanks to his mother words.

‘Damn it, Mother!’ He thought with anger. ‘Why you must always be like that?’

Sunset had the inner struggle that if she takes the wrong step, choose a bad topic of conversation or do something that could offend him, then everything would be ruined.

Finally, after wandering on the corridors of the glimmering plaza, words were exhaled at an alarming speed.

“Do you want something to eat?”

Once again, both of them found themselves speaking the same words at the same time! The first time was causality but this second time was simply bad comedy.

“Do you have something in mind?”

‘This can’t be happening’ Both of them dwelled in their mind with deep embarrassment. A third was definitely bad luck.

“Ladies first!” Finally Nitpick Bittersweet armed himself with bravery to speak again.

“Oh Thanks!” Sunset said while slowly recovering her confidence. “Why don’t we decide after I go to the bathroom? Eating all my ice cream that fast didn’t do me good!”

“It sounds like a good idea! A mind cannot think straight when the belly needs to discharge!”

‘WHY DID I SAY SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT!?’ Poor Nitpick thought with self-scolding in his mind.

“Yeah! Flushing away the evil of the body in the sewer is good for everypony!”

Sunset Shimmer was not better than him in that respect.

To be honest, how could you expect better than this from both of them? One was ashamed of himself and the other started to realize that this may be harder than expected.

It was one with seventeen in the afternoon when they arrived to the area of the public bathrooms. That place had the magnificent trait that every two hours the cleaning staff would do their routine in keeping the service area spotless and pleasant for the people. Sunset, excusing herself to Nitpick, made her way to the bathroom.

She found an available spot and used it, but she didn’t have in mind to make her body necessities. Her plan all along was to call a good friend in the privacy of the women's sanctuary and ask her counsel and tips for a date. Sunset once had a boyfriend whose only value was his popularity and free gifts from time to time, but she never did an official date beyond the frontiers of Sugarcube Corner. In other words, she didn’t have experience with in parleying one on one.

“Please, Rarity!” Sunset mumbled with a pleading voice. “Answer the phone!”

‘Click’

A sense of relief and exhales of comforting air was discharged from Sunset’s mouth. The voice of her friend brought her peace and reassurance to her mind.

“Sunset! Darling, I was thinking of you right now! I’m designing for all of us our new autumn attires and I want them to match our looks, just like the one I made for Applejack! I was wondering if you want red in your jacket! Maybe white and black! WUH! I’m in the zone right now!”

“That’s nice to hear and all but I need tips from you!”

“Darling, you sound nervous! What’s wrong?”

“I need your help! I don’t have much time!”

“What happened, Sunset? Do you want me to go to where you are?” Rarity said with urgency and concern for her friend.

“No! I’m fine… it’s just, well, what are the best places to go for a date?”

“WAAAAAHAHAHA!” Rarity’s antics and sudden bursts of delight was something Sunset still wasn’t used to. “Who is the lucky man? Is he from school? You must tell me everything!”

“NO! It’s not like that! I just need you to tell me where the best places to eat at peace are! Something veggie would be nice!”

“Ohohoho! I can’t believe this! I’m so happy for you!”

‘You are not hearing what I’m saying, right?’ Sunset thought with a glimpse of annoyance in her mind. But she wasn’t angry really, she found herself making a small chuckle for her friend’s honest interest to help her. ‘I’m truly grateful for having a friend like you’ was all that she could think in that moment.

“Where are you right now?”

“In the Chocoratte Plaza.”

“There is a place called Ensaladas Caseras near the movie theater, besides Milani Pizzas! It’s lovely, darling! Their prices are a steal and if your date is worthy of you, he will pay with no complains! I assure you that!”

“I don’t want him to be troubled by it! Something cheap is good for me!”

“Absolutely not, Sunset Shimmer! You are a great girl and you deserve to be treated like one! Embrace your worth! Suggest him the place and I’m sure he will try to please you!”

“I’ll think about that. For now I must get back to him, I don’t want him to think that I do lots of bathroom stuff!”

“Oh! The bathroom tactic! A classic! Do you have make-up with you?”

“No.” Sunset said with an uninterested voice.

“You must always carry your make-up with you! What will you do if you must make a quick fix during your date and you don’t have it at hand? That could be the Worst. Possible. THING!”

“I don’t use make-up, Rarity”

“Oh right, I forgot!”

“Hehehe, you are hopeless sometimes!”

“I just look for the best for all my friends!” Rarity said with an extravagant tone. “Anyway, gooooood luuuck!” She singed in the last part.

“Thanks, you are the best! Now, I truly need to go! Nitpick must be waiting for me!”

“Nitpick!? Darling, wai-“

Sunset hang off the call, she didn’t hear her friend’s voice. Now she needed to wash her hands and face with the soap nearby and go back to him at once. She already spent a good amount of twenty minutes in there.

....

Nitpick saw Sunset Shimmer travel her way inside the women's restrooms. As she made her necessities, he only needed to wait patiently.

‘Calm down!’ Was the only thought he had in mind. ‘Everything is going to be fine, I must keep my cool!’

After all, his dream girl and crush was on a date with him. If he said something stupid, it will just the end of his fantasy, no big deal. Keeping a relaxed demeanor, he took out his phone and sent to his friend a text message. If anyone could help him right now, it was someone who was experienced in dating, relationships and how to please a lady.

Lightbulb was the perfect choice for him to ask aid from.

-Nitpick: I need your help. Can I give you a call?

Without a moment of hesitation, his friend answered him back with great urgency.

-Lightbulb: Make the call.

Relieved that his friend was available, he quickly dialed up his phone number and waited to hear his voice. Lightbulb will ask him if everything was alright and Nitpick Bittersweet would tell him with grace and serenity in what kind of event he ended up.

“Sup, Bro! Are you okay? What do you need?” He was relaxed.

“OH MY GOD! PLEASE HELP ME, LIGHTBULB! I FUCKING NEED YOU, BRO! I NEED YOUR HELP! I HAVE A DATE RIGHT NOW AND I DON’T NOW WHAT TO DO! I DON’T NOW WHAT TO DO, BRO!”

Such civilized individual could never be replicated again.

“CALM DOWN, DUMBASS! Breath!” Nitpick obeyed his suggestion and quickly regained his composure. “Now tell me what did you do? I only understood Help!”

“I’ll be brief, Lightbulb! I’m dating Sunset Shimmer right now. Give me tips on how to treat a girl like that!”

He sighed with a mix of amazement and scolding. “’Nitpick…!”

“I know you told me to not try something with her but things just happened! I’m in the Chocoratte plaza and I really need your help!”

“I can’t believe I’m going to help you in digging your own grave but well, if something goes wrong, you must tell me so I can laugh at you.”

“Alright.”

You’ll never find friendships like the ones Nitpick has.

“First things first! Let me tell you what you already know!" Lightbulb said with a tone of sarcasm. "First of all, be your fucking self. No point in sugarcoating your personality. In the long run, it ends up in a crash! You know that, it doesn’t work! You don’t like something or disagree in a particular subject, tell her! But please try to be less of an ass and more like a common-sense guy!”

“Yes! What else?”

“Praise her when she does something great! But not like a desperate asshole! Be subtle… oh god, please, be subtle.”

“Aha! What else?”

“Well, that’s it! Be you but don’t be an ass while at it!”

“Anyplace worth a damn where we can eat calmly?”

“There is a place called the Ensaladas Caseras! It’s mostly salads and a very expensive restaurant. I hope you have at least ninety dollars with you!”

“Two-hundred dollars!”

“Perfect! One more thing!”

“Yes?”

“I hope this doesn’t become another repetition of Bookfull Sporty. I still remember what happened the next day when you got rejected…”

“I’ll be fine! If worse comes to happen, I know how to manage things now!”

It was a hard truth for him. In what other way people can cope with the negative events of daily life? Only experience can make you grow.

“Ok, I’ll leave the rest in your hands! Just relax and best of lucks!”

“Thanks, my friend!”

The conversation was over and Nitpick regained his peace of mind. He looked at his watch and twenty minutes have already passed since his date got into the bathroom. Since there were a lot of traffic in there, perhaps other women were there doing their necessities as well. In a hurry, Sunset was at his sight once again.

“I’m sorry! I took in there more time that I needed!” Sunset said in an apologetic tone.

“Uh, it’s okay! Shall we go now?” Nitpick answered with his best efforts.

“Yeah, do you have in mind where we can eat at peace?” Sunset asked him with a bit of doubt.

She didn’t want to cause him trouble, this idea was out of the steam all of the sudden for him and he mustn’t have much money with him. Perhaps it would be best to suggest something less expensive. There was a place that sells cheap sandwiches nearby and they were really good.

Nitpick on the other hand, analyzed his current situation. If he wanted to leave a good impression, he needed to go to the fancy restaurant his friend suggested. But there was a problem, a big one. What if she doesn’t like the place? Or worse, if she gets offended if he suggest that restaurant! She could think that he was telling her that she was fat and most girls hate when people complain about their weight!

Finally deciding to trust his friend insight, he finally spoke.

“There is a place called Ensaladas Caseras nearby! I’m sure you could like the menu!”

Sunset was somewhat impressed by this outcome. He recommended the same place that Rarity spoke of. She wondered if he had experience with dating. But her stomach rumbled and Nitpick just tried to dissimulate that he didn’t hear anything.

‘What a strange guy.’, was the only thing that Sunset could think of.

“I heard of that place.” Sunset replied. “That place sells the best salads of the region.”

“So… do you wish to go there?”

“I would like to.” Sunset answered with the truth, she wanted a salad right now. “But I don’t wish to trouble you. After all, you just made your groceries a while ago.”

“Don’t worry! I always keep emergency funds in case something like this occurs!”

In a way, he spoke the truth. Nitpick feeling the rising good mood of the date, started to act more confident with her.

“Come on, Sunset! If you really want to go, just tell me… I don’t bite!”

“Hehehe… mmm okay! You convinced me! Let’s go!”

As they journeyed together, both had in a small recess of their minds a continuous but relaxed thought processing in what kind of questions they would ask to one another. If the personal image of an individual is your presentation card to the eyes of everyone, then a good parley is the entrance.

The morality and judgment of the people is the main dish and if there are topics in common, they become a good dessert. Social interactions were something that both of them were good at. The big difference was their approach. Sunset in her radiance was amiable with everybody and Nitpick was reclusive with the people he felt it was best to stay away. And those methods worked in an incredible fashion with their respective practitioners.

The restaurant was at last in front of them, such marvels of rustic goods and pleasant aromas of fresh wood were perceivable to their senses. This ambient was seductive in an innocent way. One of the waiters became their host and soon followed his guidance to a simple in design but beautiful table for two people.

‘It feels simple but nice.’ Nitpick thought.

‘You always know the best places, Rarity.’ Sunset thought while feeling the nostalgic sensation that this wood gave to her. It felt like her homeland.

Nitpick noticing that she liked the place, couldn’t help but to make a small grin on his face. Sunset noticing this, asked him a question.

“Did I do something funny?” Sunset said with a playful tone.

“Oh no! Just thinking that I’m glad that you liked it here.” Nitpick answered with complete sincerity.

“It’s a pretty spot. I love the little details in the tables, the furniture and the subtle essence of wood. Thanks for bringing me here. You must have come here before!”

“Oh no! As a matter of fact, a friend recommended me this place a while ago. And well, it’s just weird to eat all by oneself in a place like this. You know what I mean?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, Rarity told me of this place a little while ago, too. But as you say, eating alone in this kind of places is kinda weird!”

“It makes you look like a total snob.”

“Or somebody who enjoys to spend his time alone.”

“Maybe someone who just doesn’t give a crap what someone thinks of him or her.”

“The possibilities are endless!”

“It all depends on the individual because ‘The wise do not buy into other people’s perceptions. Instead they try to grasp the notion of their latent habits and -…uh”

‘Damn it, I started to speak philosophical crap again!’ Nitpick scolded himself.

Long ago he came to the conclusion to not speak of this kind of subjects again. Who likes to reflect on things? His friends do so from time to time but eventually they accept life as it comes. They complain, they struggle, and also, they keep moving forward! It’s something that Nitpick does as well. But speaking of such things with your everyday people… it’s a boring subject for them.

“What’s wrong? Why did you stop?” Sunset asked with great curiosity for the reason why he stopped his poetry.

“Oh, sorry…” He started to scratch his head in embarrassment. “I don’t mean to bore you to tears with these kinds of reflections!”

“No, please! By all means speak!” Sunset said with such enthusiasm.

“Are you sure? I mean, it’s just old poetry that I read in a book long ago.”

“I love reading old books. And I specially love to reflect in my daily life. There are many things you can appreciate if you take your time to reflect on it!”

“Here is the menu, young sir! Young miss!”

Saved by the waiter was the only think that Nitpick could think right now.

Both inspected the contents of their menus. For Sunset, she was delighted by the varieties that this restaurant had at their disposition. Roman tomatoes, pineapple juices with a pinch of carrot, Cambodian potatoes within a mushroom soup, everything looked divine for her. Unlike human needs, pony physiology required a diet rich in vegetables and nature based foods. Things like meat were a complete NO for her. It was cannibalism for her standards, even if the animals in this world didn’t possess sentient intelligence like the cultures back in Equestria.

And no matter if she didn’t mind that detail, the nourishment that meat provided to her would be a waste. Having a big bowl of salad with various vegetables in it was already overkill for her. If the bowl of salad in her order was big enough, she wouldn’t have dinner tonight… perhaps a little dessert wouldn’t hurt, though.

On the other hand, a distressed Nitpick hid his face behind the menu.

‘What the hell is this?’ The obnoxious young man thought. ‘Thirty dollars for a bowl of rabbit food!? FIFTEEN BUCKS FOR A SMALL GLASS OF JUICE? WHAT IS THIS SHIT MADE OF? THE PISS OF THE HOLY GRAIL?’

To say he was baffled would be an understatement. But there was no turning back! He had the money to spend on her during the date, but he rather had squeezed the raw potential of the situation. Instead of spending a little less than half of the money on expensive food, they could have gone and eat something far simpler and used the money left in the arcades, desserts, movie tickets, a ride in the local games or such. He didn’t know, perhaps this kind of things is what women enjoy the most, to be treated like a princess. And right now… he was in front of his dream girl.

‘No time to complain! I must press forward!’ he finally decided what to do.

“It seems that there is a combo for two people that we could enjoy the most! It has chicken in it and lots of other goodies! We could buy a jar of juice of your preference!”

“Oh, I’m so sorry but I don’t like chicken.”

“It’s okay, let’s see…”

What else could be of Sunset’s liking was something he was asking himself. Finally finding an alternative, he spoke of it to his partner.

“What about this one? It has a low-fat sausage!”

“I don’t… like sausages either!”

He searched in the menu again.

“What about minced meat?”

“No.”

“Pork?”

“Sorry.”

This was getting ridiculous! Nitpick searched furiously in the menu with something that he would enjoy with her. On the other hand, Sunset finally decided to end his struggle.

“Forgive me, Nitpick. I don’t like any kind of meat because I’m vegetarian!”

Sunset noticed how Nitpick’s pupils suddenly contracted, weakly forming a smile in his face.

“Ha… haha… y-you should have told me so! Let’s see if there is something here that we can enjoy.”

“I’m so sorry, really!” Sunset said in an apologetic manner.

“Nonono! Chill out!” Nitpick said with his best behavior. “I’ll find something for us, I know it!”

Suddenly, a peculiar ring tone coming from Nitpick’s pocket was heard. Sunset didn’t recognize the style of the music but for Nitpick… it means trouble. The N-Pop tune was heard twice in a row and the young mare soon spoke her mind.

“You should see who it is. It must be important!”

“No, don’t worry! Under normal circumstances I would have excused myself but we are having a conversation right now! It would be of bad education to answer the phone like that!”

Sunset was impressed with such disposition of good modals. Most of the boys of this world lacked this kind of peculiar attitudes. She would have let this pass but this may be a chance to search on the menu for him. After all, she was just admiring the menu and its details all this time.

“Please, check your phone!” Sunset said with an affectionate voice.

“…If you put it like that!”

‘Damn it’ Nitpick cursed such weakness he possessed with this kind of girls. The real reason he didn’t want to answer the phone was because he knew that this message wasn’t for an important matter… something told him that soon he was going to be used as a laughing stock. Defeated by the circumstances, he read his message.

-?????????: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOUR TEARS OF DESPAIR ARE SO DELICIOUS!

-Nitpick: You are nearby, aren’t you!?

-?????????: Look outside, we are in the pizzeria!

Nitpick did as his friends texted and looked outside through the window.

‘THE LITTLE FUCKER IS THERE!’ Nitpick tenderly thought. He noticed a hand wave from someone besides her. It was Gilda, and both of them were eating good-looking pizza burritos with juices.

-Nitpick: YOU FUCKER!

-?????????: HAHAHAHAHAHA! The flavor of this beauty pales compared to the joy of watching you suffer! We saw you enter that fancy restaurant with the girl in front of you! We saw from this spot your face of frustration every time you tried to suggest something from the menu! You are going to spend a good deal of money in rabbit food, knowing that you won’t enjoy anything in the place because you are trying to please a high maintenance girl for the sake of pleasantries!

-Nitpick: Fuck you!

A power guitar stroke now rang from his phone. It was Gilda.

-Gilda: Nit, my friend! Check this out!

Both of the girls exchanged impish stares and opening their mouth as humanly possible, they finished half of their burritos. The fires of rage within him ignited, his eyes turned into small red suns.

“Are you okay, Nitpick?” Sunset asked him with concern. “You seem picky!”

“Oh, no! Just having a little feud with some friends of mine in chat”

“A feud? I happen to be good with solving friendship problems! Do you need some help?”

“No, I’m fine! We always get to each other’s throats, don’t worry!”

Sunset looked skeptical at him but decided to let this pass. This was a clue to reach deep in his issues of friendship and she better answered to his wishes.

“I understand, Nitpick!” Sunset spoke with good intentions. “If you need something, let me know!”

“Alright…”

He was getting pissed off with this outcome! He couldn’t avoid glaring daggers at them.

-?????????: You seem mad at us. Cookie? ( ^▽^)σ

-Nitpick: You little bitch!

-?????????: ( ^▽^)凸

-Gilda: We’ll let you go! Enjoy your personal hell over there! Both of us need to study in my house and then train a little before evening.

-?????????: And putting aside this silly exchange! Enjoy your meal, I mean it. I’m guessing she is vegetarian, ask the waiter for the special menu of soy sausages. They taste like the real deal and they are at the same price as regular meat. You should consider asking for them now.

-Nitpick: I appreciate the tip.

-Gilda: Have fun! We’ll discuss the Princess' birthday tomorrow in a private chat. Don’t forget to buy the protein or I’ll hurt you the next time I see you.

Both of the girls paid for their food and traveled to their destination. Nitpick suddenly felt completely refreshed. Call him crazy but this kind of mindless exchanges put him at ease.

“Excuse me!” Nitpick called for the waiter. “We want to order now!”

“You found something for us to eat together?”

“Yes! My friend told me of a dish we can enjoy with zero meat!”

“What do you wish to order, sir?” The waiter said while withdrawing his notebook from his pocket.

“A friend of mine told me that there was a kind of soy sausage in this restaurant. My partner here doesn’t eat meat so we want to order that if it’s possible!”

“Certainly! Anything especial you wish to drink?”

“What do you want to drink, Sunset?”

“Oh, whatever you want! You are already putting an effort to satisfy my wish!”

“Sunset…” Nitpick said with a scolding tone.

‘WHY DID I SPEAK TO HER LIKE THAT!?’ today wasn’t his day.

“Well…” The now redden mare opened the menu to find something for both of them to enjoy. “Apple juice.”

“Jar or glasses, young miss?”

“I don’t know…”

“Jar, good sir.”

“I’ll bring your order in a moment!”

Much talking is the cause of danger and silence is the means of avoiding misfortune. And right now, both of them found themselves at an awkward moment of wordless existence. Nitpick felt guilt at scolding her with just her name. He was used to hang out with people who spoke their minds, and for him, that was the expression of trust. To express oneself without the need to hide behind pleasing gestures is a treasure far more valuable than any material riches in the world for him. What he did wasn’t nice for someone who doesn’t share this mindset, but he wanted for her to speak her mind.

Sunset felt alien when he spoke to her like that. The idea of being treated like royalty was something that she disliked since the Princess of Friendship corrected her ways. She used all the school to please her demands and now the simple idea of imposing her opinion when she was being treated a meal for free made her afraid of offending. How silly, she can battle the forces of evil with her friends and improve the whole school but she can’t accept a simple gesture of commodity.

A few minutes passed and understanding the situation, one of them broke the ice.

“The wise do not buy into other people’s perceptions. Instead they try to grasp the notion of their latent habits and once they reach enlightenment, they never decree a statement with absolutes again. It shall never exist a more poisonous and destructive idea than the fervent exertion of one’s will to the masses.”

“That sounds romantic in a way, who wrote that?”

“An anonymous writer. The printer of the book wrote that this little verse and others were written during the First War. Free thinking during the turmoil was considered anti-patriotic thanks to the war efforts and writers of the time just spread their work in little notes on the street. Thanks to Princess Amore, everything changed, but you know how it ended for her.”

“How different history could have been if evil didn’t exist in the first place!”

“I believe that Evil is but a necessity for this world to work.”

“I don’t think so. People create Evil because they don’t know how to get what they want the right way!”

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I’m against the massacre, slavery and other inhuman acts of the world but I think that evil is just another name to reach a common ground. The so called ‘Good’ can be ‘Evil’ in its own way.”

“How so?” Sunset asked straightforward.

This is something that Nitpick tried to avoid the most. One thing is to know when to shut up and the other thing is to know when to avoid a possible argument. He didn’t know the extents of Sunset’s morals and he now wished he had chosen another way to spark up the conversation.

On the other hand, she was starting to feel fascinated by the subject. He started to put hopes on him, waiting to receive a deep insight and reason in the subject at hand. She loved her conversations of random stuff with her friends and Twilight sated her cravings for scientific purposes. They managed to do in three sessions of independent researching a flying saucer that made the deliveries of formal documents of the school to the teachers of each classroom. It was still in progress but it will be ready in a few days more.

The Princess satisfied the need for talking about Friendship topics and funny conversations when she was available. But no one wanted to talk about the sense of self, the essence of spirit. No one had interest to speak of the inner understanding of philosophy. Nitpick finally deciding to end this in the most civilized manner possible, spoke out his mind.

“’Good’ is just a name that people gave to acts they considered right to their standards and ‘Evil’ is just an expression of the opposite of their ‘Good’. But what gives someone the right to say what is fair and ill? To believe that someone has the complete authority to dictate what is right and wrong is simply absurd. There are no absolutes in this world.”

“I believe that Good can be given a name because everyone feels right when they help each other out! Evil is the selfishness of spirit born from greed and hunger for power. There is no other way around it!”

“Are you so sure of that? In my time at the academy, I have studied with my friends the sentiments of each essay, each lesson that the thinkers of old thought at their time. The reasoning behind the creation of a ‘Moral Bar’ was made to control the conflicts of each continent, each nation, each state, each city, each community, each family, and especially, every individual who walks this earth. To say that there is a universal and simple mindset like yours would be an ideal world.”

“Ideals can be transformed into reality to better the world! Everybody possesses a destiny to fulfill and deep inside I know that in the end, when we finally accept each other as equals. Everything will become right! It’s a fact!”

“You know when someone speaks of ‘facts’, they tend to fall in the delusion of control!”

“There is no control, only peace if you work for it hard enough!”

“We are not in the land of Eden! Sometimes working hard for something doesn’t guarantee you will get what you want!”

“Then it means that someone hasn’t worked hard for what he really wants! Everything is possible if you wish it with all your strength and go straight for the gold!”

“You speak like if you found the way to do that world a reality!”

“Yes, I know the way now. The path to build a paradise just like the one in my old home! I’ll bring here the real Land of Equestria… But it’s in progress. What I’m doing in the school is the first step! I try to unite everyone under a single flag, a single ideal! But like I said… it’s in progress.”

“I don’t know if I should praise you or tell you that what you believe is an ordeal in its own right! Creating the Land of Dreams in the real world is just impossible with a weak motivation and lack of resources.”

“Hehehe, a praise would be definitely appreciated.”

“Oh! And what gives you the right to ask that from me?” Nitpick said in a teasing manner.

“Could you at least please praise my efforts?” Sunset responded in a playful matter.

“You are not as charming as you think you are to ask that from me.”

“The same can be said of you.”

They tried to conceal as best as they could their satisfaction with this small exchange of critical thinking, but to no avail. The excellence of their understanding exchanges, the most simple but beloved of principle that was the gift of hearing and be heard was sublime to both of them. Their facial expressions beamed with interest to keep talking about similar topics.

To make matters better, the food was ready. The charming aroma of the cooked soy sausage combined with a mid-sized portion of mushroom soup was a delight irresistible to ignore. Sunset and Nitpick started by eating their soups first, but that didn’t stop them in continuing their talk.

Both of them ventured to pronounce that they felt wisdom and ignorance each time they shared their ideas and thoughts. Sunset was delighted to find that his mind was well-informed and that his love for books of critical thinking was deep and varied. Nitpick on the other hand found joy in speaking with someone who didn’t get bored with what most considered a kind of discussion that was only useful when it was needed.

The fact that both of them started to get passionate with each word, each idea and subtly making eye contact was something they didn’t thought in the moment. Their small hand gestures, the subtleness in how they slyly interchanged small portions of their dishes to eat what they liked the most.

Soon they were lost in the bliss of the moment.

The expression of their eyes, the sweetness of finding a public who could enjoy their mindless babbling, it felt surreal to them. It was so refreshing, so other-worldly in a way. As their conversation was reaching its climax, the food was already over. No more excuses could be found to stay in that place. They asked for the bill and Nitpick paid it while leaving an appropriate tip. This was natural for him since his Father strictly taught him to tip when a waiter gives them good service, if possible. Unknown to him, his now natural routine scored positive points with Sunset.

“Wow, It’s four already? I lost track of time back there!” Sunset said while inspecting her phone.

“I’m surprised as well! Thanks for accepting to come with me!”

“Thanks for inviting me out of the blue!”

Nitpick had the feeling that he should end the date now. To try and extend its duration could lead to disaster.

“I should go. I need to buy my supplement before the store closes!”

“Let me come with you! If you don’t have anything else to do, we can go to the arcades! There are some games we can enjoy! My treat this time!”

“You don’t have to-“

“Come on!” Sunset interrupted. ”We’ll have fun! I’m sure of it!”

Nitpick thought he should reject the offer. This was going too smoothly to be true.

“…Ok, you are on!”

But the fools always are the same: fools!

They went straight to the nutrition store and Nitpick asked for the bottle he needed. Sadly, a previous customer bought the remaining nine bottles and new merchandise will arrive next weekend.

Quickly thinking in alternatives, he texted Gilda if there was other option to his situation. She answered immediately, suggesting a brand of vitamins for all kind of people. Happy to see that the bottle of goods was at a discount, he made the purchase. With that, they went straight to the arcades nearby.

Incandescent lights and colorful flashes could be seen everywhere. Your typical games like ‘Hit the mole’ and mini basketball score attacks were present. Quickly buying a fair amount of credit chips, Sunset Shimmer took his date’s hand and once again lived the moment together. Nitpick started to have winning streaks on many games. He would not show mercy when it’s about competition on something he enjoyed. Sunset was grateful for his attitude… It meant she didn’t have to hold back any longer.

She pushed her skills to the limit and Nitpick was starting to lose the advantage. Suddenly, they were fighting for supremacy in the game of ‘Whack the mole’. People were seeing the faces of a young couple enjoying their youth to the fullest. Only happiness and relief were seen in their faces.

“YOU WON’T ESCAPE FOREVER, LITTLE MOLES!”

“DON’T RUN AWAY, YOU LITTLE SHITS!”

“STAY STILL!”

It was a fourth time that both said the same thing in harmonious duet. Unaware of their words, they kept hitting the table with the little toy hammers! They were scoring points like there was no tomorrow! They were so close, so close to the finishing point. One more point, one single point and the victor will be decided.

‘BAAM’

The match was over and the winner was chosen.

“YES!” Sunset shouted while repeatedly jumping with triumphant happiness.

“FUCKING DAMN IT!” Nitpick shouted while scratching his head in disbelief. “You got lucky again, Shimmer!”

“Ohohohoho!” Sunset laughed with impish intent, her hand nearly covering her lips. “You are good, Bittersweet! I’ll give you that! But it’s just happens that I’m better than you in this!”

“Hehehe Hahahahaha! Dream on!” Nitpick replied with daring tonality. “Next time I’ll be the victor without a doubt!”

“Next time it will be a hundred versus zero percent in victories instead of fifty-fifty… in my favor, of course!” Sunset said the last with a teasing tone.

A ring tone from Sunset’s phone interrupted their moment and for the looks of it, a phone call was waiting for her.

“I’ll go and buy us some juices while you answer the phone.” Nitpick said while going to the soda fountain of the arcades.

Sunset answered the phone and it was none other than Rarity. In a way, it didn’t surprise her. The fashionista was too protective of her best friends’ hearts to not worry about one of them during their dates.

“Darling, are you having a good time? Are you okay?”

“I’m having the time of life! I feel so relieved and refreshed! I’ll tell you everything tomorrow! He is coming back with drinks for the two of us!”

“Alright, darling… Enjoy your time!”

“Are you ok? You sound pensive!”

“Nonono! Enjoy your date! Applejack and the rest of the girls are here with me in my house! We plan to do another slumber party! If you wish to join us…”

“I’ll be there when this is over! I promise!”

“Good! Enjoy your daaaaate!” Rarity sang with a melodious voice and hang off the call.

Date… has this really become a real one? This feels surreal for her.

“Here are the juices!”

“Thank you!” Sunset said while grabbing her grape juice.

Finally deciding it was time to go, both of them went straight to the bus stop. Drinking their beverages until the last drop and throwing the trash in the appropriate container, both of them rode their way to Ponyville. Soon the sun would give farewell to this part of the globe for today and the moon would take his place at the sky. The stars weren’t as perceivable in the town as they were in the Apple farm.

But their bright was spectacular enough to admire during a night walk.

Nitpick wanted to admire the sunset in one of his favorite spots of the town. He pushed the button to signal the driver that this was their stop and soon the bus stopped his way.

“Rarity’s home is still three blocks away from here and I’ll have a reunion with the girls soon!”

“Perfect! My house is still fifteen blocks away so that means you are the closest to safety than me!”

“But-!”

“Just follow me! Trust me!”

With no reason to deny his invitation, Sunset followed the young fool to whatever place he had in mind. It took them a few steps for her to notice that it was one of the many parks of the town. Nitpick looked at the horizon and soon spoke his mind.

“Great! Just a few steps more!”

“Hehe want to show me something?” Sunset said excited all of the sudden.

“Just sit… right here with me!”

Nitpick pointed out to one of the benches in the place and Sunset just did as he said. He pointed out in the distance and the mountains were his objective. Both of them soon were engulfed just for an instant with the majestic rays of sunset. The vibrant red with subdued tones of yellow was a show that nature bestowed upon them.

Their eyes were filled with the brimming light and suddenly the welcoming shadow of a peaceful night was slowly making her entrance.

“I thought that the rooftops at the school were the best place to admire the end of a day!”

“This is one of my favorite places in town... I’m glad you enjoyed it!”

“…I loved it!”

Nitpick couldn’t help but admire her silhouette. The dancing wind was caressing her with such gentleness that it looked like her hair was actually a flaming light. Her blue-emerald eyes and marble like traits were stealing his heart.

‘No!’ The young fool thought in his mind. ‘Just enjoy the moment! Just like the sun is going to sleep, I must this foolish dream of mine to rest.’

Sunset on the other hand stopped looking at the sun and her eyes gazed upon his...

‘Friendship!’ Sunset suddenly thought in her mind. She originally did this to detect any bad trait to correct his faults!

Realizing this, she started to think harder about the situation. She has experience in spotting rude and evil people at sight quicker than other individuals. Her experience in being one long ago gave her an edge in this particular matter. With what she lived today and the lack of ill-feelings in his behavior, combined with the Magic of Friendship inside her, the only conclusion was that he just didn’t know how to react to the school ever-growing friendly environment.

‘He is just a victim of the ways of his old school!’ Sunset came to a conclusion. ‘Now I know what to do! I’m sorry, Twilight! But if I don’t act now, I will lose this chance to turn him to one of us right now!’

Finally making her decision, she stood up and took a few steps away to the horizon. Nitpick admired her figure bathed in the last rays of the sun… it was like magic highlighting her beauty for him to marvel upon.

“You know…” Sunset said while watching the sun hide. “I’m sure you must have heard some rumors of how I used to be… a bad apple.”

Nitpick remained silent. His instinct told him that he mustn’t interrupt something that he started to feel it was necessary for their relationship to develop.

“I was so lost… so lost in the ways of greed… I desired power like no one could ever imagine! But as we discussed earlier during meal, misguided approach ends up in a bad result, a bad outcome… an utter defeat.”

Sunset turned around and focused her sight on his date.

“But it was thanks to someone that I finally saw the light! I can’t ever thank her enough for what she did for me! Getting me real friends, obtain acceptance… releasing me from the chains of despair! And you know what? With the pace of time I came to a conclusion! If one single act of redemption can make someone turn to good, then what would happen if this feeling, this ideal could spread gradually to everybody? One becomes two, two becomes four, four becomes sixteen, and it will spread and spread until it reaches the whole world!”

Sunset raised her hands and traced a big circle with the motion of her arms. Nitpick was astonished with what she was saying. On one hand, she was saying something unrealistic, something he despised; Unrealistic Ideals.

But on the other hand…

“My friends and I are making the school a better place! You could say it’s just but a little glimpse for what it is yet come! You have seen it yourself, haven’t you? How the bonds of everyone at CHS are growing stronger with the pace of time? Is because we discovered the cure to the illness of spirit in this world! A way of thinking that can better everything!”

Sunset closed her eyes, choosing the right words to speak to her public.

“You know, people at school are having the idea that what is happening to the soccer team is your fault!”

‘My… fault?’ Nitpick deeply thought in his mind those words.

“Everyone heard about what you did to Pinkie Pie and they also think that you are a jerk.” Sunset said with no ill intents.

‘A jerk!?’ Nitpick thought annoyed on those words.

“And don’t forget how you made Fluttershy mad in how careless you were during the Shelter Event!”

‘CARELESS?’ He was starting to feel pissed off.

Sunset noticing how his facial expression was slowly changing to unpleasantness, she started to say his now discovered good traits.

“But after having this wonderful time with you, after having a small but incredible meaningful conversation with you, I finally know that you are not a bad guy! You are just lost, misguided! Your old school environment and your sudden exposure to something better have made you suspicious of CHS! Let me tell you that this is something normal! I felt the same way like you long ago! Fearful of change! But there is a big difference between you and me!”

She got closer to him, a tender smile formed in her face and her eyes shimmered with compassion.

“You already possess the seed of good! The way you helped Fluttershy when she was sick! The care you give to Twilight when she is around you! And even if you did it for saving Gilda and yourself, you also saved Rainbow Dash and Zap from Wind Rider’s unjust demands when you could just walked away and leave them at their fate! The only thing you need is a push in the right direction, and someone to show you the path to virtue!”

“… And I assume you have that kind of push.” Nitpick said with mixed feelings.

“Of course! With my guidance, you can make amends to your mistakes and no one will have ill-feelings towards you! And I’m sure when you see the truth of what this path offers, you and I will definitely join forces, make things the way they are meant to be!”

“That sounds like a fantasy… no one else sees the world the way you do! What you are saying is unreal! An impossible reality!”

“That’s because your reality lack what we possess!”

She took a step backward, and without a moment of hesitation, she offered her hand.

“Take my hand, Nitpick! Let me show you there is another way! Just like somebody else did for me! Let me guide you to the Garden of Eden, where the land is filled with the bountiful splendor of green, the rivers of life never cease to run its course and the people are united under one, merciful harmony! Take my hand, and let’s create an Arcadia, where the wicked is but legends, greed only exists in fairy tales and chaos is but a memory of a distant past.”

“What you say… the way you say it…” Nitpick stood up from his place.

“It’s okay. Once you know what I’m talking about, everything will become clear to you. Let’s create more good memories together! And we’ll definitely succeed if we work hard for the dream… with our hands joined.”

Time and space suddenly came to a halt to Nitpick Bittersweet. The offer given to him held a deeper meaning that anyone could ever imagine. You must become intelligent, even if for a brief moment, to make the right choice in your way of living. And right now, unaware of the immensity of the path ahead, he was going to make the most important choice of his life. The detail in your surroundings is something that gives you an insightful answer to the things to come and for you to figure out the truth.

Your truth!

In life, people tend to wait for good things to come to them. And by waiting, they miss out the marvels of choosing themselves their next action, their next experience… their destiny.

Destiny!

Cursed be the word that deprives the people of forming their own future! But right now, he was in front of someone who could defy the threads of faith and make him choose another path, a better path. Arcadia could become a reality and his spiritual sense told him that Sunset was the shepherd for the lost lambs. No doubt… there is no doubt that it could be a reality.

But to choose that path, would mean to completely abandoning what he learned to appreciate! To despise what the people he loved did every day: Pushing forward and find the truth with each other’s help.

Both choices were a struggle of self that Nitpick had to choose. If he wants to reach a sense of endless happiness and strive, the only thing he had to do is take her hand, reject his ideal born from reality, embrace her words and preaching’s… and the whole world will change.

‘But we are not living a dream’ His grandfather once said. ‘Reality is merciless! And that makes it beautiful!’

“No…”

Sunset just winked her eyes in surprise. “Forgive me. I didn’t hear well what you said! Could you repeat?”

“I said No! I refuse what you offer!”

Now she was completely baffled.

“Are you sure of that?” Sunset said with surprise and disbelief. “Perhaps I said things too fast and you haven’t thought well your answer. We could speak tomorrow and-”

“No, Sunset… For me, there are no such things as shortcuts or a perfect morality code! What you are saying is nothing more than the beliefs of a woman who is trying to change the world in a single way, with a single mindset, philosophy and rule that destroys all other paths to achieve the same result! What you are trying to achieve is more than just trying to better the world, you want unity!”

“Of course! You can understand what I’m saying because you are more, uhm, open and enlightened than most of the people our age! In a way of speaking, perhaps you and I were meant to cross paths! What’s wrong to share the ways of True Friendship to the world if I’m not imposing my beliefs to them? Only with good will and hard work we can achieve empathy within us and then, to everyone else! With that, the people will join without complain because we will show them with example!“

Soon she was in front of him, their eyes admiring the deepness of black in their pupils.

“My friends believe in this and look how fulfilling and rich are their lives! Applejack has a successful and loving family! Rarity is climbing her way to fame in the world of fashion! Pinkie Pie is starting to create her reputation as the best family, party planner in the district! Fluttershy will become one of the best, if not the best, veterinarian of the world! Rainbow Dash is just a few years away from becoming one of the best athletes in the nation! And all of them have something in common! They believe in the Ideal Friendship! Because they know is the right way to live!”

“And that’s my greatest problem with your belief! You speak with absolutes! That only through your ideal of Friendship you can create successful bonds that lack discord and misery to the spirit! But your public is too small for it to work! The real world will crush you with the way you think sooner or later!”

“This world doesn’t know what lies beyond the fabric of time of space! When ready, the land will be aware of the most powerful magic of all, the greatest change that the world has seen since the discovering of the self: The Magic of Friendship! With it, all the wrong alternatives will be destroyed and the Bridge to Perpetuity will available to anyone!”

“Let’s say what you say is true! That your ideal will awake the inner ‘Good’ of the people of the world! But there is a great problem, a great violation to one of the greatest gifts that life bestowed upon us: Choice! By destroying the alternatives, not only you take away the people’s right to walk their own paths! You create incompetent individuals in the long run who will not know what to do next when their shepherd is lost!"

He got closer to her.

"What you offer!”

He took her hands firmly but gently.

“What you strive for!”

His face became stern but tender.

“Is not real!”

“…Not… real?”

Silence... And suddenly, the words of her truth came through her mouth.

“It is real!” Sunset acquired a serious expression, her hands tightly holding his. “You just need to open to the Ideal and you’ll soon understand!”

“And by opening to the Ideal, you mean taking away my freedom of choice in reaching the same goal!”

“My path requires less suffering and falls! But to achieve it, you must reach a state of mind! The idea that people are the same in shape, form, color and spirit! Everybody has a place! A destiny to fulfill! No one is left behind!”

“People have the same rights to live than the neighborhood next to me! But by streamlining the rights of everyone, you take away the possibilities for some people to reach their full potential!”

“Reaching full potential always ends on people bragging their abilities! Eventually, everyone becomes arrogant and full of themselves!”

“Who is ‘Everyone’, Sunset Shimmer? Just because some people end up like that, doesn’t mean that others don’t follow compassion and rectitude!”

“You are blinded with the shadows of individuality that Crystal Prep instilled on you! That’s why my words feel alien to you!”

“Your words aren’t alien to me, it’s your belief itself born from the ignorance of past events that baffles me! I’m not one to anger that easily, I show symptoms of discomfort just like a normal human would do! The reason why I got angered with Pinkamena is because she played a really distasteful joke upon me and I simply couldn’t stand it! Granted, the way I approached wasn’t the right way but, with what right she dares to play a prank on me when I just met her for a few days?”

“Well… I didn’t know that! Still, you recognize the bad approach you did with her! With my help, that will not happen again!”

“What? Are you going to give me incomplete instructions just like Fluttershy did? I’m not a seer, you know? The first thing that came to my mind when she mentioned the rat problem was to get rid of the problem by any means necessary!”

“There was a reason they gave us little cages for them! What you did was wrong!”

“It was wrong at first sight, perhaps! Is true that animals deserve to live but when they start to screw us over, we need to get rid of them! Did you know that the shelter released the rats the other day? Chief Hugger told me about it when she gave me a ride back home! A few days later, Gilda told me that the neighbors were angry when the shelter released the rats in the fields near the suburbs! You know why? Some of them came back to pest the houses again!”

“The shelter will find a way to deal with this dilemma without slaughter! We must accept nature at it comes and teach our minds to enjoy life as it comes. It’s a way to train you inner spirit!”

“Speaking of training!” Nitpick said with a hissing voice. “Did you know that some people in school hate the way you are managing things up?”

“If you speak about what happened to Twilight, don’t worry! We have a plan for that!”

“No, no, no! Hasn’t Applejack told you that people is despising every minute of the soccer training? I’m not lying, I spoke to her in private about it during the day I had my fight with Pinkamena! Why don’t you ask her about it? She is an honest girl! I’m sure she wouldn’t lie to you!”

“I will! And I’m sure is just a misunderstanding, that’s all! After all, you are the one who spoke ill of Rainbow and the others!”

“Because they deserved the ill comments! She and that girl Spitfire treat us like trash! You don’t notice it because you are running in the frontlines while the minority that dislikes it just keeps their mouth quiet because for one reason or another, they love Rainbow Dash!”

“And you want to know why, Nitpick?” Sunset said with a renewed smile. “Because she inspires loyalty to people! She is the living example of it! And all of my friends hold in their hearts a trait that defines Harmony itself!”

“That’s the same nonsense that Applejack told me some time ago! There is no such thing as perfect Harmony! You just live your daily life and enjoy the good and bad as it comes!”

“Because as I said, you are blind! Let me tell you why my way is better!”

Sunset cleared her throat and got closer to him, their lips nearly making contact, their breaths exchanging the soft aromas of youth in them.

“Friendship is about giving ourselves to others and also receiving all of their beings at heart, you must share with them the blessings you receive in your daily life and also help them in overcome their griefs! Share with others that they must be proud of their talents and nurture their dreams to achieve their goals, give them faith and be a source of strength to overcome their greatest fears! When the might of Honesty, the honor of Loyalty, the grace of Generosity, the joy of Laughter and the tenderness of Kindness unite, the spark that ignites the Magic of Friendship will be revealed before you!”

In that moment, Nitpick finally deciphered the Ideals that Sunset preached. It was so subtle but she gave hints from where that determination of hers to change everything came from.

“You know, Sunset… I won’t deny that those are the most pleasant and optimistic words I ever heard in my life!" Nitpick said with complete honesty. "The feelings they emanate, the strength, determination and lack of ill-will behind them is simple overwhelming!”

“Thank you! Those words are something that I follow at heart!”

“Then I must ask… Whose ideals are you ripping off from!?”

The eyes of romanticized ideals and pure sense of justice suddenly dilated with the taint of bursting anger. Her expression was calm but deep inside those blue-emerald eyes, there was something else.

“That… wasn’t nice!” Sunset said while taking her distance from him, their hands now separated.

“Nice would have been if you suddenly didn’t throw at me accusations of me being a total creator of problems when the events at the school had to do something with my behavior!”

“Your behavior is the source of the problems you have at the school!”

“Or perhaps the school is simply trying too hard to please everybody! What’s wrong with a sense of individuality?”

“Nothing! Everyone has traits that made them unique! If we follow the way of Friendship and unite those gifts, what I believe will become reality!”

“Then please exclude me and those who don’t wish to follow your Salvation! We will find another way with our own feet!”

“I thought you could understand… I was having a great time with you!”

“Sorry it had to be this way... princess!"

Those words! Sunset Shimmer once said those words long ago to the Princess of Friendship.

‘Yes… Just like me back then’ She thought with a sense of revelation.

“No, don’t be! I understand now!” Sunset just patted him on his shoulders. “You are still new in CHS so you don’t know much about our school history!” She released him and started her journey to Rarity’s home. “I’ll make you see things in a new light in the coming days. Perhaps we can have another date soon and enjoy ourselves again! Have a good evening, Nitpick!”

“Yeah, same to you, Sunset…!”

Once she disappeared from the reach of his sight and waited a few minutes to be sure she couldn’t hear him, Nitpick came to a relaxed conclusion.

“I’M NOT THE BAD GUY HERE, FOR FUCK’S SAKE!”

He was mad. Never had he heard such bullshit before. Even Lighting Dust was bearable compared to all that! He couldn’t go home now, he was stressed and needed to vent! Simple games won’t do! He walked away to the bus stop and waited the next ride. It was still early and there was one place where he could rage his mind in peace.

Author's Note:

Wow... this one was bit longer than I expected.

PreviousChapters Next