• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 2,032 Views, 264 Comments

The normal life of Nitpick Bittersweet - Ryusun



Meet Nitpick Bittersweet, a painfully average guy who transfered to CHS in his second year of High School. There he will learn the values of life with other people and how to be someone more likable. This is his story.

  • ...
31
 264
 2,032

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36- Uncomfortable Awareness.

After the mental slaughter I faced during my Physics test, Literature was next. Some weeks ago, Teacher Cranky had a little accident which resulted in a broken leg. He was supposed to be incapacitated for a month but I couldn’t deny my admiration for the guy because he kept coming to impart classes even though you could clearly see that he was somewhat in pain.

But that doesn’t mean that his test was as admirable in the difficulty department. It was a multiple choice exam with the easiest questions you could ever imagine. Those who finished the test earlier could retire from the classroom, so I answered the test as fast as I could and proceeded to enjoy my forty minutes of freedom before the Informatics class started.

There wasn’t going to be a test in that class, we just needed to present our progress to Gizmo and school would be over for today. I decided to give a last check up to my work before presenting it and I got straight to my least favorite place of the school: The library.

Libraries were supposed to be quiet, peaceful and filled with loneliness but schools tends to make them a mess with noisy and careless students all over the place. I had my friends in the academy, like Gilda, that enjoyed studying on someone's home and have a sleep over! Gilda's grandfather once joined us in a Metropoly board game session and it was fun. But I disliked that false sense of company with the rest of people.

It doesn’t mean that I hate being with the company of strangers from time to time, but sometimes you just wish to be on your own. How many times have you spend time in a place surrounded by people and deep inside you wanted to go home? At least once a day, I assure you. Not because you hated the people surrounding you or because you felt unsynchronized with them, you just wanted to be by yourself.

And even if you loved the people who you were sharing space with, you would still feel that you were suffocating at one point. It’s not a bad thing being alone sometimes. It’s when they made you feel rejected when things were wrong. And in one of the PC’s of the library, there was a user who made me thought of all of this. Twilight Sparkle was sitting peacefully in front of the monitor. I could see she was working in the same thing I was about to do; our project.

Twilight… She was always beautiful, always sincere and always alone when teamwork was required during our days at the academy. At evey turn, every student that had teamed up with her, and I truly mean 'Everyone' of us that knew of her antics wanted nothing to do with Twilight! She was considered a reclusive and perfectionist genius who was so wimpy for her own good.

But now in this school, she was beautiful, she was sincere and in all classes she had someone to work with her. I didn’t know why I felt attracted to her since we enrolled to this place. This kind of feeling was so nice, so peaceful, and so familiar. And that gave me a sense of safety.

Why!?

“Oh! I didn’t see you there!” Said Twilight with a tender voice. “Did you need something?”

“No. I just came here to work in our project. I didn’t notice that they put more computers here! There is more space for putting your bags under the table.”

“Speaking of the project… do you think this is too much of a hassle?”

“It needs to be perfect if we want it to pass school regulations, so of course it can sometimes feel like a hassle. Let’s work in it until it’s great!”

That big smile of hers…

“Then what are we waiting for? Take a seat and let’s do real magic!”

Your optimism during busy work is inspiring.

We started to compile the platform of the library system. Twilight showed me some advancement she did on her own. She really talked seriously the other day when she was mentioning ‘The Librarian Assistant’ for our project. She did a dog resembling Spike. The image even talked with a realistic voice every time you looked for an entry.

“Wow, who made the voice acting, Twilight? It sounds so realistic!”

“Oh, you know! Online applications and voice programs!”

“Uhu… I don’t believe you, but no matter. Whoever helped you with the voice, it sounds nice.”

‘Wufff’

“Spike! Shhh! They are gonna hear you!” Mumbled Twilight to her bag.

I could see Spike was happy about something inside that bag. Dogs! Always happy when people gave them attention or I am wrong, little buddy? Who is a little buddy? Yuh are a lil buddy!

A screeching noise sounded from Twilight. It was her phone.

“URRRRRGHHH!”

I can imagine who it could be…

“Love problems with Flash?”

“WHAT!? NO! Why do you say that!?”

Wow, she was angry by that comment.

“Oh, sorry. Just wanted to tease you a little.”

…What?

“Very funny, Nitpick! Have you ever been in my shoes were people always comes to you for the silliest of reasons when you just try to keep them away and be at peace for the sake of all parties involved!?”

ARE YOU TRULY ASKING ME THAT!?

“I don’t know, Twilight! That kind of person you are mentioning is nearby!”

“Really! Who?”

How dare you to call me silly and dummy a while ago when you can’t recognize simple sarcasm!?

“OH! Cheeseburger! It’s Flash!” She whispered while she hid under the table.

Oh... so he was here! That Flash Sentry! He was... studying? He was with some people, I believe they are his friends.

“Why are you hiding?” I whispered as well.

“I don’t want him to see me. He scares me!”

“Have you told him that you needed time?”

“Yes! But only through text messaging! I used Rarity’s methods of indirect rejection and it still didn’t work”

And that is your problem, my little scientist.

“Twilight… you need to be straight. Not now, but eventually you will need to confront him in person!”

“But I don’t know how to talk to boys like him! You were supposed to help me! You are at fault with this!” She said somewhat angry while still whispering.

“What the hell are you talking about!?” I asked her with the same tone.

“Language!”

“Damn it!”

“Nitpick!”

“What!?”

“Shh!”

"..."

“This is really silly!”

“It is!”

And she started to silently chuckle.

“Hey!”

Oh no…

“Hi… uh, Flash!”

“What are you doing here? I never thought you would be the academic type!”

Look who is talking, cool guy.

“I’m working in my project.”

“Using two computers at the same time?” He asked somewhat amazed.

“Uh… yeah! I’m multi-tasking! While that computer is compiling the new data, I am working in data update in this one!”

“Oh, sounds interesting!”

Your clueless face was far more interesting than this conversation.

“Say… isn’t Twilight supposed to help you? Where is she?”

…crap.

“Uh… I believe she was with Sunset. She asked me to take care of her bag because they were going to do the private business in the bathroom.”

“Ah, that’s why you have her bag with you! I thought she was nearby! …Can we talk for a bit?”

WHY EVERYBODY WANTS TO TALK WITH ME ABOUT SOMETHING!? I am a boring guy to the likes of you, remember!?

“About what?”

“About Twilight”

What about nothing, instead!?

“I already told you, Flash! Have the balls to talk with her and if you end up rejected, take it like a man! You are the cool guy! You are better than this!”

“I was hoping if you could help me to be friendlier with her!”

This is the worst scenario possible! Twilight was hiding under the table, Flash was asking embarrassing things about her and if I choose the wrong words, everything is going to hell for me. I must make this quick and uninteresting!

“You? Asking me for help!? Ask the Idol Six about this kind of things instead! I am an ass and the number one enemy of the soccer team, remember?”

“Well, it’s not entirely your fault… you know.”

Thank you for being discrete when I most needed it.

“Anyway! Flash… I can’t help you! If do that, I would betraying her trust. Besides, if you act like somebody different, it would be a fake personality… you would be lying to yourself and her. Just like when you have a crush with someone and when she shows you her true face, you ended up disappointed.”

Isn’t that right…? Forget it.

“Trust someone who was unpopular and comes from Crystal Prep! You just keep talking to her like normal and everything will be fine!”

I could feel how she was constantly pulling the fabric of my jeans, telling me that I shouldn’t say that. Forgive me, Twilight! I’m saving my ass as well.

“I understand! You are right!” Said Flash suddenly motivated with fiery eyes. “I must keep trying! Thanks, Nitpick!”

And he left. I watched how Flash got out of the library without noticing her. He was walking beside some rocker-like friends at his side with tons of books. They were talking about Chemistry theory so maybe they were going to study for tomorrow’s test.

“Thank you for telling him that!” Said Twilight with an impressive and unthinkable sarcastic tone.

“Ow, Your face! You look so cute like that!”

“Very funny!”

“OW, your cheeks are so pinkish and-“

WHAT THE HELL I AM DOING!?

“’Ehem’ At least I managed to protect you from him… for now! Seriously, talk to him already!”

“I want! …B-but I can’t… I can’t…” Said Twilight scared.

I can feel it… She was trembling with the idea of talking with him, but it wasn’t Flash what scares her in reality! What are you truly afraid of, Twilight?

“’Sigh’…One of these days I will help you with Flash.”

“…Really?”

“Yes, and now let me help you in getting you out of there.”

I offered my hand and she slowly grabbed it. I learned my lesson from the last time I helped her stand up and now she stood up at an acceptable distance from me.

“This is why I know you are a good boy. You always look after me one way or another… Say, I know that you had a problem with Fluttershy. Can you talk with me what really happened? Maybe I can help in make peace with her!”

Thank you for asking for my version of what happened… But it was too late for that! The bell rang and it told us that we must hurry to the next class for our presentation.

“Look, Twilight…another time. Perhaps when everything is more stable for me, I’ll tell you about it and help you with Flash, ok? Besides… remember you have great friends in this school, so you are in good hands!”

“You are right! So, about Flash… will you promise to help me?”

“…Crap. Ok”

“Pinkie Promise!?”

“Cross My Heart, Hope to Fly, Stick a Cupcake in my Eye!”

‘mwa’

Did she… kiss my cheek?

“It’s a promise, Nitpick! And there is something really silly I must tell you!” She said with a silly and innocent voice.

“What!?”

“Your cheeks taste like Neapolitan! Just like Sunset's!”

WHAT!?

“Now let’s hurry to the classroom and present our project!”

…What just happened?

I walked at her side and during our journey to the next class I couldn’t remove this uncomfortable feeling. This school is getting gloomier with the pace of time. The soccer team was slowly crumbling part of the school’s morale, I overheard during my class of Saturday that they were getting tired of their constant scolding. Dancer was getting colder than ever when Sunset has some kind of interaction with the school programs, I didn’t have a decent talk with her since our last hang out a few weeks ago. Fluttershy suddenly got paler and she looked tired than ever. Flash was getting desperate with his crush to the point of even seeking the help from someone like me.

And finally, Twilight showed me a facet of her that I have never seen before. An image of her that doesn’t suit her at all! The shadow of fear…

Author's Note:

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, this is not a romantic development. There are times in real life where you can humbly admire other people without feeling romantic attraction to them. In other words, it is affection and nothing more. Too soon for a realistic romance, I think.

Chapter rewrote on 01/09/2016

Fanart added on 16/11/2016. Not a lot of difference except that it is far cleaner than before.

PreviousChapters Next