• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 2,032 Views, 264 Comments

The normal life of Nitpick Bittersweet - Ryusun



Meet Nitpick Bittersweet, a painfully average guy who transfered to CHS in his second year of High School. There he will learn the values of life with other people and how to be someone more likable. This is his story.

  • ...
31
 264
 2,032

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 - Intellectual Might! Prodigious Twilight Sparkle!

I thought that I was seeing things, maybe one of the apples in my breakfast was expired and instead of giving me a stomached it was making me see hallucinations!

But it wasn't one. It was really her!

Her purple hair with pink stripes was unmistakable. Her big, thick trademark glasses highlighted her presence. And that usual uniform of our old school sealed the deal in believing my eyes. She was there. The greatest academic student that Crystal Prep Academy had the honor to have… She also had the title of the most self-absorbed and anti-social being in the academy. Twilight made contact with me at sight. We saw each other in shock. I didn't think she would recognize me, giving her exemplary habit of forgetting people's face, but her current expression said otherwise.

She was besides another girl talking about something. But I didn't pay her much attention. Well, as long as she doesn't disturb my continuous peace in this place, I didn't mind why she was here. I want to team up with her at nothing again.

But if there was a destiny, she was a complete bitch. She took the sit in front of me awkwardly.

“Nitpick Bittersweet, this is a surprise! They told me a new student would arrive this day like me, but I didn't think it was someone from Crystal Prep!” Said Twilight friendly.

She could be friendly? And my God... She remembered my name.

“Uh…yeah, Twilight Sprinkle. It's such a surprise seeing you here... It's this your first day too?” I asked in a normal tone.

“Yeah, my transfer program was last week after the Friendship Games! And yes, this is my first official day at CHS! ...and It's Sparkle by the way, Nitpick.” She said the last part with a weak, corrective tone.

“I was never good with names back then, since I didn't get along with you and most of the school. Specially you because we lived in different worlds, well…you know! Your sciency stuff and all.”

My assholitude emerged at full strenght.

“Yeah, I was busy with my studies and you were being… you! Like everybody else, hehehe… uh.”

She hasn't changed one bit.

This conversation was not going as smooth as she planned. Thankfully, the bell rang, giving start to Trigonometry. The awkward silence got away while we were waiting for the teacher to arrive. I heard some footsteps, but no one got inside. Maybe he or she walked in another direction. I looked at the window door and-

"What was that!?" I said panicked.

"Whats wrong, Bittesweet?" Said Twilight worried.

"No, nothing. I think am just seeing things. I tought there was somebody there in the door window looking at me with dead eyes!"

Twilight inspected the door trying to find something abnormal. "There's nothing there, Nitpick... are you feeling ok? I can take you to the infarmary if you want!"

"No, Twilight. Thank you, but no. I am ok now, thanks for worrying about me. It was just my imagination getting the better of me."

"Call me if you need anything."

She smiled tenderly and turned her attention to her book. I never thought she could be this nice. I really felt like trash for treating her with indifference moments ago. But I lied to her, I knew what I saw; a glowing pink aura was there and banished like the wind. It was for a moment, but it was more than enough to put my heart at race. I couldn't take away those eyes. Full of ominous intent, haunting blue like the depths of the sea, watching me, like a hunter having found it's prey. I heard footsteps again. I could hear them, getting closer, closer, the knob was being used...it was-

“Good morning, my beloved students!!” Said a man with sickly-sweet happiness.

It was just the teacher. His arrival put an ease to my mind. He was a bald, old man with remains of what was once gray hair. Plump and with a face brimming with joy. What amazed me the most was his long beard. He looked like Santa. Ugh, I think this is one of those teachers that enjoyed sharing the joys of life. At least I have something to complain about instead of something to fear.

“Good morning, Mr. Calculus Bridge!!” With a sincere and happy greeting, everyone besides Twilight and me replied to him.

“As you may know, aside of our new wonderful first grade students, we have two new Wondercolt's joining the second years in our beloved Canterlot High School” Oh no… ”Why don't both of you get in front of the class and introduce yourselves?”

I reluctantly got up from the comfort of my seat and Twilight did the same but with excitement. We were in front of the class, everyone staring at us. So uncomfortable, even I felt my face doing a nervous gesture unlike Twilight were her face was filled with joy… she never was like this in the academy.

“Please, my children, say your names, hobbies and plans for the future!”

His optimistic attitude was starting to piss me the hell up already.

“Hi, you may already know me since the Friendship Game, especially after that little incident!” She said that while blushing.

“Everybody wakes up from the wrong side of da’ bed from time to time, y'all!” A student said. Everyone laughed with a lack of bad intention. I wonder what happened during the games.

“Hehehehe!” She laughed innocently. “My name is Twilight Sparkle! I transferred from Crystal Prep Academy since I liked this school better! Everyone is so nice and I hope to make many friends in my stay here!” Twilight…making friends? What the hell happened? “My hobbies are studying, researching, inventing gadgets and playing with my dog, Spike! And recently, spent time with my new friends!” Everyone made the typical ‘awww’! “My plans for the future…I wanted a scholarship to study abroad and research scientific discoveries by myself, but after being here during the games, I still don't know what I will do now. I hope all of you will help me to find out, thank you.”

Everyone applauded.

“Oh Miss Sparkle, that's really the kind of students CHS wants! Thank you for sharing your time and thoughts to us!”

We are wasting enough time already! I rather have my Trigo-class now instead of this bullshit.

“Now young man, it's your turn! Don’t be shy! Remember that we are a big, happy family in this school”

I hate you...

“Well…I...”

Silence.

“Come on, yo! You can do it”

This time I found the source of the voice. It was a female student with blonde hair and a big stetson hat.

“It's not that hard to speak in front of people, Nitpick! I am still learning with baby steps but trust me, you can do it! All these people are nice!”

Twilight Sparkle… the social reject of Crystal Prep… giving me tips… on how to speak in front of people… while smiling? This was getting absurd.

“My name is Nitpick Bittersweet, nice to meet you.”

Disinterest in my voice was an understatement.

Silence. Everyone started to frown in amusement and concern. I think they expected from me a happy, warm introduction like Twilight before me, but this kind of things simply annoys me. Not to mention it makes me feel uncomfortable because I am not good in sharing my thoughts unless they are my trusted family members or closest friends… which aren’t that many.

“Well, Mr. Bittwersweet, Why did you choose CHS?” Said the teacher, now a little worried.

That's much better for me.

“Because a personal issue in in my old school and also it was the nearest to my home.” I said bluntly.

“And what are your hobbies?”

“My hobbies are videogames and PC tweaking. I like to spent my time alone doing something of those two.”

Saying sleeping, napping and especially anime and manga would be a bad idea.

“What are your dreams for the future?”

“Just be happy with whatever thing I can achieve. Big houses, people cheering my name, I am not interested in those things. And either be the school or me, I don’t care much about winning unless is something I want to do.”

Someone suddenly babbled in shock. I saw it was Rainbow Dash from my previous class. I didn’t care, it was the truth.

“Well, I like the simple things, unless they are related to my hobbies. That's when I give the extra miles.”

“Oh, that's so nice to hear! Sometimes people forget that the greatest joys of life are found in the most simple of things! I think the same as you man, that's why I decided to become a teacher and share my joy and knowledge in the math subjects to the new generations! And about the 'not interested in winning' part, I am sure that the school spirit will change your mind! Am I right, Wondercolts?”

Everyone “Yeah” to this, and he regained his happy tone again. I hate that happy vibe. He must be a likable teacher because everyone gave him applauses of approval.

“Well, can I sit now? I feel like I am being interrogated by an inquisition, this kind of thing makes me feel uncomfortable, to be honest.” I said this with honest sincerity.

Everyone quiet down immediately.

“But of course…please take your seats.”

The teacher was uncomfortable too. I believe this is a first time for him to face a student like me. I could feel the eyes of everyone watching me. I felt the pressure. I walked to my seat while taking a quick glimpse to the class, Sunset was seeing me with a strange look. Like if she had failed on something. I turned my sight to my desk and then tried to focus on the board and the teacher’s class.

“Well, my students, why don’t we review some of our previous classes quickly to make your new classmates catch with us as soon as possible?” He smiled again. I just met him right now and I already admired his attitude; he recovers fast from awkward moments. I still hate this kind of people, though.

Everyone agreed, and suddenly I started to realize why this teacher was completely accepted in the classroom. Concrete and simple notes, easy to understand step by step formulas. And to be honest, I was kind of impressed, and there was still twenty minutes left of class.

“Wow, you are truly the shit, Mr. Bridge. You are pretty awesome at teaching math. None of my old teachers in Crystal Prep could match your technique at giving lessons, you make it so easy to understand!” I said this somewhat brightly… Wait! Did I just cursed inside a classroom?

He was extremely overjoyed by this.

“Mr. Bittersweet, that’s the spirit I wanted from you from the start, everyone gave our new friend a warm applause to make him feel at home”

They did it, cheerfully, even Twilight. I regret praising you, Mr Bridge. At least he didn´t heard the ‘colorful’ word, probably overriden by the rest of my statement.

“I have a question, Mr. Bridge!” Said Twilight while examining her book.

“Yes, Miss Sparkle? With all confidence, ask me when you have doubts during my class!”

At least he is accessible too.

“Well, according to your teaching and comparing it with the book writing by Sir Colt Kechris, there are three general problems in trigonometric series; one being The Uniqueness Problem, the second being The Characterization Problem, and finally The Coefficient Problem! Each suggest that there are fundamental criteria to solve a trigonometric series, but what I want to know is which conditions, if there are any at all, represents each the currents subjects at hand?“

Twilight, that’s not part of the lesson from today.

“Oh, such wonderful question, easy to misinterpret when someone reads it in the first go!”

He erased all of the notes made in the board, luckily some students smart enough wrote them down in their notebook. In Crystal Prep, the bastards always erased the notes from the board before someone could finish copying them.

“Well, let’s begin. As you know, The Characterization Problem, even for continuous functions, although there are many well-known sufficient criteria for the expansion in a trigonometric series, one can argue than no reasonable exact criteria can be found.”

He wrote an example with equations not seen in the class. Pretty advanced, if I must say.

“As you can see here in this example the problem to-----complexity-----substitute-“

I was starting to lose my senses in the subject at hand. I could hear words, but I no longer had any idea of what was he talking about. I only heard random sounds coming from his mouth, and then, I heard Twilight again.

“If that’s the case, when you use the theorem of-----radians----cos, sin, tan-----“

I was lost. They were talking and talking about sorcery from the deepest hells. I turned my attention to the window next to me. I could hear the soft soar of the wind, the singing of the birds, the serenity of the weather, and I understood that I had achieved enlightenment. My mind was completely in blank. The essence of time didn't have power over me anymore. Suddenly, I heard coherent words from the teacher that woke me up from my trance.

“And that’s how you can solve any of the basic trigonometric series! They are kinder level, don’t you think so my students?” He said happy.

“I see, thank you Mr. Bridge! They are easy indeed!” Sparkle said excited, her curiosity sated...for now.

“Oh! You are so welcome, Miss Sparkle! I hope you can share your thirst for learning to the rest of your new friends soon!”

I made an analytical observation, this time to my fellow classmates. Aside from Sunset and two other people that looked like they were straight from The Big Bang Analysis sitcom who were taking notes like it was nobody’s business, the rest of us, common human beings, shared the same thought about the current situation originated from our purple friend!

We didn't understand shit.

Author's Note:

Well, Twilight, what can I say about her? Nothing that everybody knows by now. I believe she will be the hardest to write of the main cast because this Twilight, even if its the counterpart of our princess of friendship in the normal show, its in essence different in the part that she still doesnt have a clue of friendship, and I will try to take another route to achieve the same result, she being more sociable like Princess Twilight. At least its my current plan for now. For the other characters, well, as soon as I start to introduce them, I will write in the notes if they were harder or no.

And for Mr. Bridge...he is an homage to one of my teachers during my days of college. UGH! how did I hate him, but he did knew about his subject, it wasnt calculus and such but administration. He was a cool guy in the end but thats another history.

Note: Grammar rewrite on 12/08/2016

Note 2: This chapter didn't have a fanart before today, 15/09/2016

PreviousChapters Next