• Published 20th Aug 2015
  • 843 Views, 14 Comments

Tales Of An Outcast - PrismStrike



the story of my life and how I went from just being an animal to having friends, a Life, a job and even a mare to call my own

  • ...
8
 14
 843

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26. The Last Peaceful Day

As consciousness floods into my mind I am once more greeted with the strong scent of antiseptic. Without even opening my eyes to check I let out a soft groan knowing that I've once more found myself in Canterlots medical wing. Within moments of the mental realization of where I am I feel a hoof press against my shoulder and I hear a voice that most ponies would describe as scratchy and perhaps a little annoying but to me is the voice of a most beautiful angel.

"Prism" just hearing my name is enough to get me to open my eyes to see Dash there one hoof on my shoulder and a look of worry on her face.

"Hey Dash. Seems like i just can't keep outta this wing of the castle huh?" I joke giving her a soft smile

She chuckles returning my smile, smacking me softly on the arm before climbing onto the bed to hug me. "It's good to see you awake again Prism." She says softly as I return her hug letting her curl up against my chest with her head laying in the crook of my neck. We lay like that for several minutes just enjoying being close to each other both of us knowing this could very well be the last time we do so. Eventually though she is the one to break the silence. "Ok I think its time I went and told everypony your awake now. The Princesses wanted to see you when you woke up and I'm sure the others will also be glad to hear your once more among the living" we chuckle softly at her joke then she gets up off the bed and leaves the room leaving me with only my thoughts.

'I'm not going to let them down. I'm going to prove myself to that voice, to the ponies, to everything that me and my kind can be more than just animals. That we can be more than just a threat to them. That we can be friends if we try and most importantly I wanna show my friends that I have over come the beast within me so that I can return with them finally to Ponyville.' I sigh softly knowing that even with everything I have done and accomplished that what lies ahead of me will be the hardest challenge of my life up to this point. Before I can continue on with my thoughts though the door opens five ponies and three alicorns entering through it.

"It is good to see-" Celestia starts to say as she approaches me only to be cut off as a Pink blur rushes past her to my bedside.

"Oh woowiee look at those! They're like metal pegasi wings!" Pinkie exclaims exhuberantly as she actually begins to tug upon one of them the looks of awe on the faces of Rarity, Fluttershy, Apllejack and Twilight simply just priceless. Celestia though clears her throat a little to get attention back upon her before anypony can say anything else.

"They are quite the feat of both pony magic and dragon craftsmanship are they not." Celestia says with a smile and some pride.

"But up until now every attempt to create prosthetic pegasi wings has ended in failure. As we all know pegasi use more than just their wings to fly and so far to my knowledge a way hasn't been devised to let pegasi magic flow through the prosthetic wings. " Twilight begins one of her classic rants only for Luna to stop her with a hoof.

"You are correct Twilight. Up until a few months ago there was not a known way to allow a ponies magic to flow through prosthetic wings. But recently a group of unicorn scholars found a way to reshape purified mana stone to allow for innate magics to be sent through it passively. A way to re-arrange the stone into a sort of lattice work that functions much the same as the natural leylines a pegasi has in their wings for their magic." Luna states simply

"But then why keep it a secret until now. If the technique has been found to work why not share it with everypony" comes Twilights quick and obvious question.

"I think i can answer this one best" Celestia says as she looks over to twilight "When artificial replacements for lost pegasi wings and even other limbs was first brought forth as an idea. Our ponies were overjoyed at the thought of artificial limbs as replacements for those lost. When the venture initially turned out to be unfeasible in the way promised many many ponies became quite depressed most notably those who had been waiting for the artificial limbs to restore their ability to be ponies again. This time we wanted to make sure it would work first. So we could give those ponies out there who have been permanently injured by the loss of a limb real hope instead of just another disappointment."

"Ok I can understand that Princess" Twilight admits as she hangs her head a little.

"So I'm a test case then?" I finally speak up interrupting their conversation. Celestia turns back to me looking a little ashamed.

"I am sorry to say that yes you are Prism. We had to make sure this would work for our ponies. You were seen as a prime candidate. You are determined and committed to helping us. That with your recent award and subsequent revealing to all of Equestria as a hero we figured it would be best for you to be the first subject. If it truly has worked we can show all of ponykind that we are always looking out for their best interests but also that with your upcoming battle against my and Luna's brother, that they function just as regular wings should." Celestia says rather flatly as if trying to hide her emotions.

"Its ok Princess. I understand. I actually don't mind either. If this has worked then as you said. I get to start being a pony again." I raise my claw to stop her from interrupting me. "Since my wings were taken from me. I haven't really felt much like a pony, just a strange flightless dragon. If these wings work. I can at least once more call myself part pegasi"

"Well then let us go and test them out then Prism." Everypony turns to Princess Luna as she speaks most of them save Celestia and me looking at her like she just grew a second head.

"But he only just woke up Princ..." Twilight begins only for me to cut her off with a quick snap of my claws.

"Twilight. its fine. Id rather go and try to fly than lay here another moment longer." the determination with which i look at Twilight is enough to keep her from protesting anymore.

with that said I quickly rise up from the bed, as my feet hit the floor i go to flex my new wings and nearly collapse needing to grab onto the bed as the mana stone lattice within the wings greedily sucks up every available ounce of magic within my body. I hear some indistinct shouting around me but the words are lost as my mind begins to blank as the wings continue to just drain me. just as suddenly as it started though it ends, the draw upon my bodies magic ceases and the world begins to refocus. I blink my eyes to clear the fuzz from my vision as i rub my head to try and alleviate the magical exhaustion induced headache. as my vision clears up i look over to the ponies and alicorns present all of whom are wearing worried expressions.

It ends up being Dash who finds her voice first. "You ok Prism? what happened?" the tone of her voice betrays her worry far more so than the look upon her face. I manage a smile looking to each of them before answering.

"Yeah I'm ok Dash. Went to flex the new wings when i stood up and i guess they must have needed charging up or something first cuse the moment i tried to move them, it felt like they were trying to suck up every bit of magic within my body. I honestly thought i might pass out for a moment"

Celestia's expression turns to thoughtfulness for a moment before speaking." Something future recipients of artificial limbs will need to be made aware of then."

"Indeed sister" Luna says quickly cutting her sister off. "we also owe a debt of thanks to Prism for being the test subject for this but for now that will have to wait. Come let us see if they work Prism" I turn to her to respond and instead find myself being teleported to the castle courtyard, specifically the one where Luna has her night guard train.



MEANWHILE
The destruction of that town had taken considerably longer than expected. The buffalo that had appeared soon after the ponies had been wiped out had proved tenacious though not much of a threat. many of them even charging as they burned. "You creatures. for all your size and bearing are just as weak as the ponies" the crimson scaled creature laughs as it grabbed a particularly large buffalo by the horns tearing its head off with a few jerks and twists to throw at another that had been charging towards it. "Is there no creature here that can stand against me." The crimson creature bellows to the sky as the remaining buffalo begin to retreat, most of them simply trying to survive this onslaught now that their leader had been decapitated.

To the crimson creatures surprise though the sky answers. two dozen screeches fill the air as a large pack of griffons descend from the sky. having come from a nearby mountain where Celestia had let them set up a small griffon commune away from the economic depression in griffonia. Having seen the town ablaze from their mountain perch they had decided to offer whatever assistance possible. Having seen the creature from some distance up watching as it tore through the Buffalo, the griffons had decided to attack.

hearing the screeches the crimson creature looks up and smirks. "Finally perhaps now I will find myself a challenge" its smile grows even wider as the griffons come within range some of them brandishing short swords while others simply brandish their claws. suddenly a griffon rushes forwards going for a double claw slash aiming right for the crimson creatures chest. to which our crimson scaled baddy simply replies with a gout of fire from its mouth engulfing the poor griffon in moments leaving it writhing and screeching on the ground until crimson crushes its skull with his heel.

"Perhaps i was wrong then. simply another group of weaklings with no experience fighting" Sighing slightly the crimson creature motions the rest of the griffons forwards. the flock responds then by attacking en-mass, though after only a few minutes the ground is littered with bits of griffon to accompany the bits of pony and buffalo

Author's Note:

here ya go another chapter. i wanted to get the actual conflict started here but just couldnt think of a good segway between glitter in the hospital and glitter going to the battlefield, so i figured id give abit more of a look at crimsons activites.

PreviousChapters Next