• Published 2nd Jun 2015
  • 1,830 Views, 27 Comments

Canterlot North Western Tales Volume 1 - Riddleja



The citizens of Canterlot have adventures on the North Western Railway

  • ...
2
 27
 1,830

The Adventures Begin

Once upon a time, on the Island of Sodor, there was a little railway known as the North Western. It expanded through the royal city of Canterlot, home to the royal sisters Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna. The North Western Railway is run by a wide amount of steam locomotives and is very popular to railway enthusiasts young and old.

One morning, Princess Celestia was in the royal garden having breakfast of toast and marmalade. She was just about to pour herself a cup of tea when one of her guards came in.

“Pardon my intrusions, your majesty,” he said, bowing in respect, “But a gentleman by the name of Sir Topham Hatt wishes to speak with you.”

“Let him in to the throne room,” said Celestia. “I shall be in shortly.”

“Yes, your highness.”

Princess Celestia soon came to the throne room and found the guard standing next to a stout gentleman wearing an English gentleman's suit and top hat. This was Sir Topham Hatt, the man in charge of the North Western Railway. But many people refer to him as The Fat Director.

“Good day to you, your majesty,” he said to the princess, taking his hat off in respect.

“Greetings, Sir Topham Hatt,” said Celestia. “What can I do for you?”

“Are you by chance familiar with my railway, the North Western?” asked Sir Topham Hatt.

“Why yes I am,” said Celestia. “My sister Luna and I are quite fans of railways ourselves, as are my subjects.”

Sir Topham Hatt smiled. “I am pleased to hear that,” he said. “You see, the reason I asked that question is that I had just been thinking the other day about something. Many of the engine drivers on my railway seem to look like they could use a helper of some sorts when they are working. Someone they can teach railway skills to and help learn their way around.”

“You mean as a sort of internship?”

“That's exactly what I mean,” said Sir Topham Hatt What I wanted to know is would your subjects be interested in helping my engine drivers out?”

“I will get in touch and see what they say,” said Celestia. “But I am most certain that they would be interested.”

“Very well,” said Sir Topham. “I'll be by again tomorrow to hear their decision.”

“Of course, sir. Good day.”

After Sir Topham Hatt had left, Celestia's sister Luna came out.

“Who were you talking to, sister?” she asked Celestia.

“Sir Topham Hatt of the North Western Railway,” her sister replied. “He wanted to know if our subjects would be interested in helping out on the railway as a sort of internship.”

“That does sound rather exciting,” said Luna. “Working on a railway and riding aboard real steam locomotives. It’s an opportunity one would have to be mad to refuse.”

That afternoon, Celestia held a meeting and spoke to her subjects. A few of them turned out to be her pupil, Twilight Sparkle with her friends Spike, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy.

“I wonder what Princess Celestia wants to tell us,” said Twilight.

“Maybe she's planning a big party for us!” cried Pinkie Pie. Pinkie loved parties.

“My faithful subjects,” Celestia called down to the crowd. “Earlier today I had a short meeting with Sir Topham Hatt of the North Western Railway. He asked me if any of you would be interested in interning for the railway. As a fellow railway enthusiast myself, I find the idea to be rather exciting. Now we want to know if any of you would be interested in joining. I will understand if you choose not to, though.”

Excited chatter spread through the crowd at the thought of being behind the controls of a real steam locomotive.

“Working on an actual Railway?” asked Twilight. “That would be so amazing!”

“Railway Intern Party!” cried Pinkie Pie in excitement, bringing out her party cannon. “Whoo-Hoo!”

The only one not so enthusiastic about it was Rarity.

“I don’t really know,” she said. “Working with dirty, smoke, steam locomotives? Oh I would be an absolute mess!”

“There are more important things out there than lookin’ good, Rarity,” said Applejack.

“Besides,” said Rainbow Dash. “It’ll be fun. You might even get to witness one taking a passenger train.”

“I knew you would all be interested,” Celestia smiled. “Not all of you may get to join at once, but we will see who gets chosen first.”

The next day, Sir Topham Hatt returned, waiting for Celestia's reply.

“Sir, I have good news,” said Celestia. “My subjects will do it.”

“Splendid news,” said Sir Topham Hatt. “I will see that they are given warm welcomes. When will they come to the railway?”

“They will be coming as soon as they have the free time available,” said the princess.

“Glad to hear it.”

“And I only have one condition to this deal,” said Celestia.

“Sure,” said Sir Topham Hatt. “What is it?”

“I would like to be able to assist on the railway from time to time,” said Celestia. “I never get the chance to do something like this often and sometimes all this royal work can be boring.”

“Consider it done, your majesty,” said Sir Topham Hatt.

“Thank you,” smiled Celestia. “I am just hoping that your drivers do not give their interns a hard time on their first days.”

“I have already informed them that it will not be tolerated,” explained Sir Topham Hatt.

“That's good to know,” smiled Celestia.

“Indeed,” said Sir Topham. “Although 2 drivers happen to be a pair of bad eggs. Therefore, I will not assign them assistants.”

“Oh? Who would those be?”

“One is Reginald Holden; driver of engine number 98462,” explained Sir Topham Hatt. “The other one, Clarence Ravens, drives number 87546.”

“I'll tell them to watch out for those two,” said the princess.

“A wise decision,” Sir Topham agreed. “I warned those two that if they don't straighten up, they'll be fired.”

“Understood.”

With that, the two shook hands and the deal had been made.

“It was a pleasure talking to you, your majesty,” said Sir Topham. “I must be off now.”

“I shall see you later then, sir.”

And with that, Sir Topham Hatt walked out of the castle. Both he and Celestia felt proud of allowing the drivers to have their own interns to help out.

Comments ( 27 )

This caught my eye because my Equestrian railway is called "Canterlot & North Western," after the US railroad Chicago & North Western.

6048888 Ready for the first story?

i watch every thomas and friends series incully new movie call Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure in sept 2015 it in youtube had a trailer go and watch it

I can't wait for the next chapter.

6421912 When IS the next chapter, anyway?

6423686 I have no idea.

6427384 What's stopping you from working on it?

6427404 Other projects.

when are you gonna do work on this story Canterlot North Western Tales Volume 1 soon?

6583456 Soon. Just be patient.

6583519 will you post another chapter?

7511734 when? is what I am asking?

7513671 Oh. I'm not really sure yet.

I know the driver names are meant to be references to locomotive designers, but we don't know for certain that 87546 is a Raven A2, or that 98642 is a B12.

10117611
Nice idea though, and a shame it never went anywhere.

10117952
I'm hopefully gonna pick up where I left off someday.

10118392
As one who is doing something similar (shameless, I know), I'd like to help.

Login or register to comment