• Published 7th May 2015
  • 13,729 Views, 1,626 Comments

Actually, I'm Dead - Magenta Cat



What if the Alicorn Amulet did more to Trixie than we saw?

  • ...
43
 1,626
 13,729

Chapter 11: The Great is dead…

Trixie squeaked in fear, trying to curl herself into an even smaller ball. The pony before her... had it really come to this?

The Bone Mare. She was the one responsible of guiding the dead to their final destination; the righteous to their rest in Elysium, the wicked to places best left unconsidered. While legends of her may vary in some degree, they all agreed upon her look; a silvery white mane and a night-dark fur, marked with the white of the bones beneath the skin. The bones were not there to scare, but to remind everypony that all were equal in the end and that everypony has an end to meet.

She had heard much of the Bone Mare in her time in Neigh Orleans, travelling in the circles of the occult at Blazer’s side. One didn’t even have to travel in those circles to have heard of the Bone Mare, though, given voodoo being as pervasive in the region as it was.

Trixie had always scoffed at those legends and stories, yet here she was, face to face with what she had once considered an over-the-top nursery rhyme.

“Why do you shake so?” the mistress of death asked in that incongruously soft voice of hers. She smiled, her violet eyes a glimmer as if at some private joke. “Last time you were here, this ‘over-the-top nursery rhyme’ was besieged with all kinds of questions. Have you perhaps finally run out of them?”

If Trixie still had a heart (or the Alicorn Amulet), it would have stopped after hearing that. She would have tried to jump and flee, but even in her panic recognized that the blackness around them offered her no shelter.

“Ah, bien sûr.” The Bone Mare gave her head a tap with her hoof in an exaggerated manner, still smiling down at Trixie. “Nopony is allowed to remember if they come back.” Whether an intentional affectation or not, Trixie couldn’t help finally noticing the distinct Neigh Orleans accent the Mare spoke with. “Well, I suppose we can start over.” She sat herself upon her launches and then lowered herself to her belly, bringing herself closer to the level where Trixie still cowered. She tilted her head while looking aside, as if trying to remember what the first thing Trixie asked the last time had been.

“Is this--”

“Completely real,” the Bone Mare replied, almost too quickly, before turning back. “And not in a perception-is-reality way. This is happening right now.” The Mare smiled and giggled. “Though to be fair, that is everypony’s first question when they get here.”

Trixie blinked and gaped at the being across from her. She was baffled by the whole situation. There she was, right in the middle of… somewhere, having a surprisingly light conversation with the avatar of death herself. Yes, she remembered the legends speaking of the Bone Mare usually having a quirky or odd sense of humor, but to actually be on the receiving end of it…

“What is…” Trixie stopped herself, knowing the question but unable to ask it. “If this were real,” she found comfort in denial, “what would it mean to m-- Trixie.” Even if this was the end, Trixie still had that primal need of keeping up the show. “What would happen to Trixie?”

"Oh, mon petit poney.” The Bone Mare scooched closer to Trixie, never breaking eye contact. “I believe you already do know.” She put a hoof over Trixie's shoulder. To Trixie’s surprise, it was strangely soft and warm, like a living pony’s hoof. “After all, you are a storyteller, aren’t you?”

“Storyteller?” Trixie asked, desperately trying to remember the rhymes and prose she heard years ago. In her years traveling, both before and after the life changing experience that was Neigh Orleans, Trixie had come to listen, read and eventually retell all kinds of stories; Death was never outside her repertoire. It felt strange to Trixie that, after having told so many tales of ponies meeting their ultimate fate, she would be so unprepared for her own.

“Mon dieu,” muttered the Mare as she ran a hoof over Trixie’s mane. “The last time you were not nearly so scattered. The panic from your final moments has truly taken its toll on you.”

Her final... Trixie felt a shiver run through her as her final memories came back to her; the tornado grabbing and spinning the balloon, the other girls screaming in terror, her voice trying desperately to scream alongside them; then the suspension ropes giving way, causing the basket to tilt and her to topple over the side. The roaring winds grabbing and spinning her this way and that as she was flung helpless through the sky.

The last instances of the cliff face looming ever larger.

The Bone Mare was continuing to stroke her mane in a soothing manner. “There there, my child. It’s over now.” She leaned in a placed a kiss on Trixie’s forehead, continuing the play the part of mother and foal. “No more pain. It’s over.”

“Wait.” Trixie pulled herself away from death’s literal embrace. “Am I... is Trixie truly dead now?”

A sad nod was given as confirmation. “Indeed. Last time was different. There were ponies fighting very hard to bring you back. This time? Well... there are things that even Princesses cannot do.”

Trixie blinked, then looked down and away. “So this is the way The Great and Powerful Trixie ends, is it? It’s... not exactly how she would have expected it.”

“It rarely is,” the Bone Mare told her in that soft accent of hers. “But it has to happen at some point. Everything dies. That’s the only constant.”

“That and taxes,” Trixie added with a snort.

“Bien sur,” agreed the Mare around pleased giggles.

Trixie couldn’t help smiling in return. She was dead now; truly dead. Her life was over. No more worries, no more decisions; all of those had already been made. Everything was done. The life of Trixie Silverlight Lulamoon, The Great and Powerful, was over. She might have raged and cried at it all, but she didn’t feel like she needed to. Despite her initial reaction to the Bone Mare, to the realization she was dead, now that she thought about it she felt a calmness about the whole thing. There was a strange peace in the finality of it.

She still had questions though.

“Why the accent?” Trixie asked as she turned back.

The Bone Mare rubbed her forehooves together, the playful smile pulling again at her painted lips. She appeared rather pleased at Trixie’s acceptance of the situation. “You’re not the only pony here who had spent some time in Neigh Orleans when they were alive.”

Trixie’s ears flicked about. “The stories are true then; you were mortal once.”

“Once,” the Mare agreed with a bob of her head. “As those before me were. As the others alongside me were as well.”

Trixie’s ears were now raised to full attention. “Others? There are other reapers?”

“An earth pony term that; reapers. Those who harvest souls that have reached their maturity. But essentially, yes. There are many aspects of life, and so death must possess an equal number. My area involves travelers and wanderers.” A very wide smile split the Bone Mare’s face, the mischievous look in her eyes waylaying Trixie’s fears. “You should see what death looks for the Princesses.”

“There is an aspect for the Princesses?”

“There is, but suffice it to say, she does not get much work,” said the Bone Mare. She winked at Trixie.

“I never expected that.”

“Given that both of them believe they are cursed with immortality, I expect that come the day they finally meet her, it will be quite the surprise for them, too.”

Trixie shook her head, grinning at the absurdity of the notion. “It seems so strange to think that one day they might...”

“Die?”

Trixie nodded.

“And why would that be, my little pony? Everything dies. Metals rust, rock crumbles, even suns burn out. Everything reaches an end, in time.”

Glancing down, Trixie rubbed her hooves together. “Well that's a rather depressing outlook for Trixie. She had always viewed the Princesses as a constant in the world.”

“The only constants in the world are life, and change, and death.” The Bone Mare smiled. “And taxes. Of course.” She reached out and rested a hoof on Trixie’s withers. “Don’t be sad because the road has an end. Are you not a roani, a vagabond? Weren’t you taught, by your blood's tradition, to value the journey over the destination?”

Nodding slowly, Trixie raised her gaze to meet that of the Bone Mare once more. “I was.”

“And?”

Trixie reflected over her life. The orphanage had been hard, but looking back she could tell that the caretakers there had done their best for her. Celestia’s School had been a rocky time, trying to find herself, but there were good ponies and good memories to be had there if she thought about it. The road itself was just as hard, if not harder, but it had led her to Neigh Orleans, to the ponies that would be her mentors and a family she never had. Whatever difficulties those years held for her were more than made up for by the good times. The road after wasn’t as smooth as she had hoped it would have been when she started going down it, and certainly held its share of mistakes, the largest costing her her life. But its end wasn’t all bad. It ended with friendship, true friendship at last. There was the hope it may have been longer, but nothing could be done about that now and she had made the most of it she could while she had it.

“Trixie is satisfied. I am satisfied,” was her final pronouncement.

“Good,” the Bone Mare declared. She ran her hoof over Trixie’s mane once more before settling it before her. “Then it is just a matter of waiting for the final ties that bind you to the world of the living to fade enough for us to make the final portion of your journey. I wouldn’t worry about it too much if I were you, not with where you’ll be going.”

“How long will that take?”

“It can vary, but time moves differently here than in the world of the living. Some of it depends on the pony, on their willingness to let go. That’s part of why I’m here. Suffice it to say, it will happen. It’s just a matter of waiting until it does.”

Trixie nodded and looked around. She was still surrounded by featureless blackness, but it wasn’t an oppressive blackness. Still, she had a desire to stand, to move about. Perhaps it was a sign of the ties to the world of the living fading, as the Bone Mare had said. Either way, she was tired of sitting and got to her hooves. The Bone Mare followed.

Offhandedly, not looking directly at the Mare, Trixie said, “You mentioned having been to Neigh Orleans when you were alive. How long ago was...”

She stopped talking when she looked back at the Bone Mare, finding her slowly shaking her head. “That is not the question that you truly wish to ask, mon petit poney.”

Trixie’s eyes darted over the painted bones covering the Mare’s hide as her mouth bobbed open trying to form the question. Drawing from the feeling of calm she had about her own death, Trixie swallowed and asked. “Have you escorted Hope Lulamoon to her final destination?”

The Bone Mare nodded, satisfied with Trixie. “No,” she replied softly. “In all my dealings, I have not crossed paths with her. Now I am not saying that she may not still have passed this way, I am just saying it has not happened since I assumed this position. I have been escorting ponies to their final resting places ever so slightly less than you have been alive, young one.”

Trixie felt the tension drain from her. She still didn’t know what had happened to her mother, but at least she knew she had not died during the better part of her life. That she may never truly know what happened to Hope was the one true regret that she still had about her life.

“So what happens now? Do we just wait, or..?” asked Trixie as she fidgeted about in place. She had suddenly become very antsy and felt unable to stand still.

“I think we may be ready to head out,” commented the Bone Mare. “You seem prepared for the final part of your journey. Come.” She reached out a hoof to wrap over Trixie’s withers only for her hoof to pass through it.

Trixie felt a wave of cold pass through her and look up at the shocked expression of the Bone Mare. “Wha-what’s happening to Trixie?” The cold was intensifying, feeling like it was drowning her in ice water. “Why is she so cold? What is going on?” Trixie looked at her hooves, and to her horror, she could see through them.

“I… don’t know.” The Bone Mare stepped back. Her eyes were wide and panicked as she gaped a Trixie. “You are.. being pulled away by... something.” She jumped at Trixie, failing to hold her hooves.

“A-away?!” Trixie shouted in desperation. “Away where? By what?!” She tried to wrap her hooves around the Bone Mare’s neck, managing to actually hold on somehow. “Don’t let Trixie go!”

“I won’t!” The Mare’s horn lightened up, its violet aura trying to wrap around Trixie and hold her secure. “I won’t let you down again!”

But it was hopeless. Trixie’s figure was fading away and there was nothing to do.

“NO!” Both ponies screamed in fear, though it was the Bone Mare’s that was the final voice echoing through the void between worlds.

“No...” she choked out, looking down at her hooves. A sob wracked her body and she squeezed her eyes shut, tears overwhelming them. The avatar of death shivered, feeling pain and sorrow typically reserved for the living. It was a feeling capable of driving her to do something she swore she would never do.

The Bone Mare turned her head and opened her eyes. The aura of her magic once more flared along her horn. Breathing deeply, she channeled all her power into the forbidden spell. The realms beyond the living world were to remain separate not just from that world but from each other. She intended to cross over where she wasn’t welcome. With one powerful swipe, she reached out with her magic and rent the veil between realms.


The dreamscape was quiet that night, Luna was pleased to see. Not many of her little ponies were in need of her aid in banishing fears and bad dreams. She was reflecting on how nice it would be to not have to worry about being able to meet her sister for breakfast. Tia had been quite distraught the last few days, and she hoped her company would aid in restoring some good cheer to her sister.

Luna spun at the sound and the fury that came forth as a rupture between realms burst forth behind her. She flared her wings aggressively, her horn aglow in magic as she prepared to face the unknown threat.

She was greeted by the sight of a midnight blue unicorn stumbling out of the rupture, one covered head to tail in painted bones. An unmistakeable figure.

“What is the meaning of this?” Luna asked, more confused than anything. Even if it had been a thousand years, she was sure not even the avatar of death was allowed to cross between realms.

“I need your help!” the Bone Mare lifted her head and shouted at her, raising Luna’s confusion.

Luna looked the Bone Mare over. Had she not been in the spaces between dreams, she might has mistaken the other mare for the distraught subject of a particularly bad dream. “Bone Mare, Guide of the Departed, how can We--”

“There is no time for this!” the Bone Mare snapped. He angry expression quickly fell back into one of anguish again. “Something has pulled Trixie back to the world of the living, a feat that should not have been possible. It was an evil force, unmistakably dark magic. I can’t sense her, but I know she went there.” Then, the Bone Mare did something she vowed to never do; she bowed to Princess Luna. “Please, I’m not allowed in there. I need your help.”

Luna stood rigid, taken aback by the actions of the mare before her.

The Bone Mare looked up with tears running down her skull-marked face. “Please, I’m begging you,” she gasped. “I’m begging you to help my daughter!”


*CRASH!*

It wasn’t the sound that woke Celestia in the middle of the night, nor the tremor felt through the entire castle. It was the undeniable feeling that something in the word had just changed for the worst.

Trying to keep a cool head, the Princess trotted calmly to the hallway outside her bedroom, finding the guards stationed there. She asked them what the noise was, but neither of them knew and were actually waiting for a third guard who went downstairs to find out.

She made to step around them only to have one block her path.

“Please, your majesty, this could be nothing,” he tried to reason. “Possibly a mishap in one of the alchemy labs or even a collision between transports outside the castle.”

“I appreciate your dedication, Swift Wing.” Celestia always took pride in knowing each one of her guards by name. “But I’m going to investigate anyways.”

“It could be dangerous, we can’t allow you to go.” Swift Wing again blocking her attempt to get by him.

Celestia lowered her gaze to meet that of her guard. They must be scared if they were acting like this. “How will you stop me if I ordered you to allow me to go?” Swift Wing opened his mouth to answer. “And how would you stop me if I didn’t?” She softened her expression upon seeing his clear distress. “You and Sunlit Shield will escort me on my investigation of this matter.”

Swift Wing snapped a salute. “Yes you majesty!”

The two guards fell in step behind her. The further down into the palace proper they went, the clearer it became that this was no simple accident. Even without her magical senses to guide her, the smell of smoke made it clear enough where Celestia was to go.

Though part of her had been dreading it, Celestia’s heart skipped a beat upon seeing the palace’s firepony brigade rushing in and out of the entrance to the Canterlot Archives. When she finally managed to get by, she had to stop again in awe of the destruction. A large number of shelves and cabinets had been damaged by fire, but the path of destruction appeared to be confined to a fairly straight line.

If only that line didn’t extend from the door of the Black Room to the outside of the Archive’s wall. She reacted quickly to that, ignoring her escorts and throwing open the door to the safe room as quickly as possible. The door itself had suffered massive damage, bent outwards on its metal frame with a hole melted through the middle. The inside of the room was scattered with shards that used to compose the secure box she herself created and charmed with seven spells designed to keep anything from even opening the box from the outside…

…but not from the inside.

Soon, Celestia would know what the Alicorn Amulet was capable of.


It was raining in Ponyville. This rain wasn’t the one the ponies usually crafted for crops or to keep weather in check. No, this one was natural, untamed. It came right from the Everfree.

Lighting and thunder fell with the fury of an angry dragon pursuing a pack of diamond dogs that had dared to raid its horde. The storm struck Ponyville as a grim reminder there were things in the world they couldn’t regulate. The wild magic from the Everfree, too powerful and too ancient to be controlled, besieged the town’s night with the darkness of it clouds, keeping away the moon. Only the lightning was allowed to bring light to this night.

*KRAKOOM!!!*

A lightning strike illuminated the cemetery, striking too close to one of the graves. The light revealed the temporary marker:

Here lies
Trixie Silverlight Lulamoon
The Great and Powerful
She brought magic to our lives

The night went back to darkness after that, until a new flash brightened the area. However, this second light wasn’t heralded by the ominous roar of the thunder. Neither was it of the same white light of the lightning.

*Flash!*

A crimson ball of light made its way through the cemetery. Like an arrow, it went fast and directly towards its target. The object inside the ball of light hit the ground of Trixie’s grave and dug its way through the earth until reaching the coffin under it, burrowing through the coffin’s pine lid. The Alicorn Amulet wormed its way into Trixie’s remains, settling itself in the cavity it had been extracted from days earlier.

*baBum*

Like blood coming from a deep wound, necroplasm flowed out of the Amulet, filling the coffin.

*baBum, baBum*

The liquified dark magic was boiling, shaking the ground of the grave.

*baBum baBum*

Inside the coffin, the mess of broken bones and torn skin was slowly reforming. In the middle of it all, the dark magic of the amulet started to glow.

*baBUM! baBUM!*

The first test to the Amulet’s might was to give Trixie power beyond mortals. This time, it was going to do far more than that.

*BABUM! BABUM!*

Once again, like a wardrum, the Alicorn Amulet’s power pulsed with rage. A new pulse of thunder and lightning graced the night, this time hitting the marker on Trixie’s grave, shattering it.

“Trixie Lulamoon of Equestria”

Suddenly, all the movement inside the coffin ceased.

“RISE!”

An azure claw rose from under the ground, surrounded by a red aura.

It was a dark and stormy night.


… long live The Powerful.

Author's Note:

Wave Blaster: NOW do you guys believe me when I said it wasn’t over?

Nightwalker: And we’re back in business! I hope that you all liked the Bone Mare. Her appearance was inspired by this image, and the mythology has a bit of the reapers from Dead Like Me (which, if you haven’t seen it is an excellent series). We wanted to give her a bit of a playful personality. Yes, she has her reasons for not telling Trixie who she is, and a bit of past with Luna as well. Be assured, this won’t be the last we see of her.

Wave: Also, from my end, I added some of DC Comics’ own mythology with death having an aspect for each eventuality. And for those still wondering about how death looks for the alicorns… well, google New Gods Black Racer and you will get a general idea.
And of course, Trixie’s “Rise!” scene comes directly from Blackest Night to the last detail.