• Published 5th Apr 2015
  • 607 Views, 17 Comments

Le Café de la Vie. - AKA MrJ



A new café has opened in Ponyville. It's run by a odd creature summoned there by Discord. Why? Well please come in and have a seat. Welcome to Le Café de la Vie!

  • ...
2
 17
 607

Chapter 4

Author's Note:

....I've got nothing.

Chapter Four

A knock on the front door broke Justin out of his concentration, a quick glance at the clock revealed that it was six-thirty. He had been up all night and now it was time to see who had actually shown up for work. Stepping out of the kitchen and unlocking the door for his new employees, he was surprised to see Twilight, Rainbowdash, and Pinkie among the group of eight waiting outside. Nodding, he motioned everyone- everypony inside.

"Alright. Clean uniforms are behind the counter, get those on and I'll be back in ten. Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow. Step into the kitchen and we'll talk." Justin said stepping aside to let everypony in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You know I don't really get intimidated by things smaller than me." Justin said to the three ponies shooting daggers at him.

The four of them were standing around the kitchen's workbench in the center of the room. Or at least Justin was standing, Rainbowdash and Twilight were hovering over the table and Pinkie had jumped up onto a stool. Justin looked around before picking up a pastry box and examining its contents. After ensuring that the box contained what he thought it did, he pushed it over to Pinkie who eyed it suspiciously.

"What's this?" asked Pinkie.

"My way of saying thanks." said Justin.

"Thanks for what?"

"For throwing me a party."

"A party that you blew off!" Rainbowdash interjected.

"Pinkie Pie put a lot of work into that party," added Twilight, "So you better have a good excuse for not showing!"

"And why the hay would you thank Pinkie for throwing a party you didn't even go to?!" Rainbow asked.

Justin walked over a filing cabinet in the corner of the kitchen, opened it up, and pulled out the princess's letter which he tossed over to Twilight.

"I got that last night and had to get ready, which is why I didn't show to the party." Justin said walking back over to the bench, "And I'm thanking Pinkie because nobody ever threw me party aside from my birthday, so it's nice that somebody- somePony, would go through all that effort. Even if I didn't go."

"So you did want to go to your surprise party?" Pinkie said.

"Yah, but work had to come first this time. But I'll try my hardest to make it to the next one."

"Pinkie promise?"

"....you don't have a pinkie finger, how do you know what a pinkie promise is?"

"What's a pinkie finger?" asked Rainbowdash.

Justin held up his hand, extending his pinkie.

"It's this little finger."

"Oh."

"So you pinkie promise?" Pinkie asked again.

"I don't know what your idea of pinkie promise is," Justin said, "would you care to explain?"

"Okay, it goes like this. 'Cross my heart and hope to-"

"Oh I know that one."

"Well then pinkie promise that you'll come to my next party!"

"Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye."

"...that was creepy."

"It's how we did it on the playground."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was approaching noon and Le Café de la Vie was in almost full swing, with the exception being that the largest booth remained unfilled. With the new employees where being pushed to their limit trying to keep up with the demand of a full restaurant, Justin was fairly sure that of the five ponies currency working only three would stay till the end of the week. But that would have to wait, first he needed to reassure the princess of friendship that he knew what he was doing, then make her get the hell out of his kitchen.

"Twilight, I understand your concern." Justin said, "But if you keep taking apart everything I make so you can scrutinize it, I will have to kick your star spangled ass outta here."

"I can't help it." Twilight said voice beginning to rise, "You're about to carter to Equestria's leaders and you've not even started on their meal and you haven't told your staff that their coming!"

"Okay first off, Princess. You're one of Equestria's leaders and I didn't screw up any of your meals, in fact, you said that I could compete with any of Canterlot's chefs."

"Well yes but-"

"And if my new hires can't handle a surprise visit from royalty then-"

"BOSS!"

Justin and Twilight turned to the new voice to see a light gray unicorn with a messy black mane. His cutie mark was covered up by his waiters uniform. He was panting and wide eyed from shock.

"Wait is it Grimm?" Justin asked.

"Princess Celestia and Princess Luna just arrived with Discord!" said Grimmstone making no effort to hide his panic.

"And? Did they order?"

"They...umm."

"Who's section are they in?"

"Mine but-"

"Then get out there and take down their orders. Then you can panic all day long."

"I. Umm. Yes boss!"

Grimm practically flew back to the dining room. Justin watched the door for a moment before turning back to the stovetop.

"You're way too calm right now." Twilight said.

"Well I don't really do panic." Justin said, smiling, "I mean I would panic, but then I wouldn't be able to put forth my best efforts."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're rather calm right now." Celestia said, looking Justin up and down, "It is rare that somebody would appear so confident when facing us."

"Indeed." Luna added, "And most would be respectful enough to bow before royalty."

"Oh I would miss," Justin said, his smile changing into a smirk, "but it's been so long since being royalty held any importance to humans."

The entire café froze. Justin and the princesses had just gained the attention of everyone in the dining area. No pony in their right mind would tell Luna, that she was unimportant.

"Would you care to elaborate?" Luna said each word carrying it's own sword.

"Well." Justin said unaware of any danger he was in, "There just aren't that many royal families left on earth, and most of the modern world has long since abandoned monarchies in favor of democracies. What princes and princesses are left hold no power politically."

"Are you suggesting that we are-"

"Oh no of course not Luna. I'm just explaining politics. I mean absolutely no disrespect."

The room remained quite, all eyes still focused on Luna and Justin, and the silent power struggle happening between them. Celestia spoke up in an effort to stop the growing tension.

"So this is a nice café you run Justin, and thank you Discord for inviting us."

"Your welcome princess. It does help that I know the owner so I could reserve a table." Discord said ignoring the fact that it had been Celestia who reserved the table.

"Hmmhp, I bet." Luna muttered.

"Something wrong Luna?" Justin asked.

"Yes. We'r- I'm having trouble believing that thou- that you're one of Discord's friends is all."

"Of course I'm his friend. Are you, Princess?" Justin said, his question hanging in the air like a noose, "Surely you can make that claim to friendship."

"Enough!" Celestia said, her voice commanding authority, and immediately gaining the attention of both Luna and Justin, "Discord was kind enough to invite us to lunch. I will not have you two end the nice time we're having with your trivial disagreement. Now apologize with each other."

There was another moment of silence before Justin said, very quietly.

"Forgive me Princess Luna. I forget that I am not invincible, I did not mean to test you."

"Apology accepted." Luna said just as quietly, "It was wrong of us to challenge your authority within your own restaurant. We are sorry."

"Of course Luna. Now how about I go and fetch desert?"

Comments ( 7 )

"(Warning. This is a self insert. Also my first post. Please keep all hatred to a two sentence minimum. Thank you.)"
thanks for the warning but now a warning for you. after reading this those like myself are tempted to troll ya beware.
ill get ta reading da story in bit

5870831 That's fine, just remember the two sentence minimum.

5871093 we shall see if thy story earns more then two <insert evil laugh here>

5872552 My parents let my drink, buy me combat knifes, are paying for my tattoos. Talking them into letting me go to an alien world isn't that difficult.

"Forgive me Princess Luna. I forget that I am not invaluable, I did not mean to test you."
...."not invaluable" you forget you have value? you sad sometimes bruh?

5883518 I meant to say invincible, thanks for pointing that out.

Login or register to comment