• Published 5th Apr 2015
  • 607 Views, 17 Comments

Le Café de la Vie. - AKA MrJ



A new café has opened in Ponyville. It's run by a odd creature summoned there by Discord. Why? Well please come in and have a seat. Welcome to Le Café de la Vie!

  • ...
2
 17
 607

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

Okay second chapter.
Not quite sure what happened but try and stay with me.
All criticisms and insults are encouraged.

It had been an interesting week for Justin. He had successfully moved out of his parents house, opened up his own café, and met with the mane 6. Who were apparently some of the most important ponies in the country. And more importantly! Yesterday Justin had helped Discord take the first step to reconcile with his friends, or at least with Fluttershy. Personally Justin thought that discord had made it unnecessarily harder on himself, but Justin wasn't here to criticize Discord (at least not quite yet) he was here to help. It had taken a lot more encouraging than needed on Justin's part. Discord had been...nervous to say the least.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't do this," Discord said fidgeting on the stool. He was sitting at the counter of Le Café de la Vie with Justin standing on the other side arranging what he called the coffee station. Other patrons were shooting nervous glances at the Discord, which was doing nothing to help calm the jittery draconequus.

"We've been over this Discord," Justin said turning to face his friend, "you're meeting with Fluttershy here and you are going to voice any self doubts you have. And stop bringing your silverware to life! It's making my other customers nervous!"

"Hmff, self doubts." Discord said, snapping his eagle claw making the previously tap dancing spoon drop back onto the countertop. "I'm the master of chaos and disharmony! Why would I ever doubt myself?"

Justin's only response was raise an eyebrow in question.

"Well, maybe I've had some ridiculous thoughts but.." Discord said.

Justin remained silent, his disbelief only becoming more apparent.

"I mean sure I've made some decisions that needed some reconsidering..."

Again Justin remained silent, only adding a deeper frown to his disbelieving look.

"Okay fine!" Said Discord, collapsing onto the counter. "I'm a nervous wreck right now and I have every reason to question and doubt everything I've done over the last month. Happy?"

"Very." Said Justin, grinning widely. "Now straighten up, here she comes."

Discord had shot bolt upright when Fluttershy walked in, straightening up to the point of being almost as stiff as a board. Justin had had some worries about this. From what he understood of the situation, this was something Discord hadn't had a lot of experience doing, telling a friend what bothered him. When Discord had first told Justin about his troubles, he had danced around the subject until Justin had forcibly dragged it out. It was further worrying that to Justin that Discord had come to him with the problem instead of one his pony friends. It wasn't that Justin was unwilling to help, he did get his own café after all, but it did tell him a lot about his friend.

"Good afternoon Discord," Fluttershy said in her usual quiet voice, "thanks for inviting me to lunch."

"Hmm? Oh! Um, thank you for joining us-we-me." Discord said trying and failing to hide his nervousness. Fortunately Fluttershy didn't seem to notice.

"And good afternoon to you too Justin, how are you settling in?"

"Just fine thanks for asking," Justin said with his ever present smile, "Discord has been helping me out. Oh! Before I forget, I've got a new item that I think the two of you will like."

"New items? Are you expanding your menu?"

"Maybe. Wait here I'll go get it." And with that Justin went into the back leave Discord and Fluttershy alone. Really he had simply stepped out of sight of Discord and Fluttershy so he could spy on the conversation but they didn't need to know that.

"It was nice of you to invite me to lunch Discord," said Fluttershy, "we haven't really seen each lately, with you being so busy."

"Your welcome Fluttershy," Discord said, "I'm so sorry for my being so absent it's just-"

"Oh no need to apologize. I know that you would have come spent time with us if you had been able to."

"U-us?"

"Yes. Me, and Twilight, and Pinkie, and everyone. We never really had the chance for all of us to spend time together."

"Yes I suppose I should make time to spend with my...friends."

"Discord? If you don't mind me asking, is there something wrong?"

"Weeell. You see-"

"Y-yes?"

"I'm...just not sure...about us being...friends."

Fluttershy looked at Discord with shock. This had confused Justin. He had already told the mane six about Discord's thinking so why was Fluttershy shocked? It was only afterwards did he realize that hearing it come directly from Discord must hold a different kind of meaning than hearing it from someone she barely knew.

"It-it's not that I don't want to be your friend!" Discord said quickly. "It's just that. I'm not really. I mean I-"

"It's okay. I know what you're trying to say." Fluttershy said, "You're still upset about Tirek."

"...yes."

"It's okay Discord, you're already making up for it by being our friend."

"...thank you Fluttershy."

Justin decided to interrupt here. Grabbing the aforementioned treat before heading back into the dining area.

"Sorry for the wait," said Justin, "I thought it best to give this new idea a bit more time."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday's progress had been good. Justin wasn't entirely sure how much progress had been made, but he could only be so helpful when environment is all you could provide at the moment. But that worry would have to wait till tomorrow, at the present he had one last chore before turning in. Stepping outside, Justin went to the window and taped a 'help wanted' sign to it. If Le Café de la Vie was going to stay open, he would need more workers.