• Published 9th Apr 2015
  • 1,804 Views, 41 Comments

Baby blues (literally) - splash626



Princess cadence is pregnant! Everyone wants to celebrate but her.

  • ...
4
 41
 1,804

The time has come.

The two hospital doors slammed open with a loud thud as three nurses and a unicorn doctor ran through the halls and corridoors dragging the reeling bed with his magic, Twilight and Shining Armor who were falling apart while following close behind Cadence as she no longer responded, the heart monitor beeped rapidly with red lights flashing on and off while another doctor, a pegasus, flew above the patient, she called for tools and medication trying to slow down her frantic paced heart, "I need 40cc's of vial 1"
A pony gave her the vial.

"40cc's of vial 1" she injected the dose into Cadence while flying and keeping pace with the rest of the nurses, another set of doors flew open with a loud thud,
Her heart started to slow down a little bit.

"2cc's of vial 5"
The earth pony gave the pegasus the requested drugs and repeated it once more.
They went through another set of doors and one of the nurses stopped the two siblings following behind.

"No disrespect your majesties, we must take care of it from here."

"Please don't let anything happen to my wife or child, I cant live without them." Shining Armor who was in shambles and tears said in a desperately choked voice.

"We will do our best your highness." She ran off leaving the two behind the doors, the view of them getting smaller and smaller with Cadence could be seen in the small window until they could not be seen any longer. Twilight who was hyperventilating was on the floor freaking out.

"Ooh. This cannot be happening." She kept breathing harder and harder and then she held her breath putting a hoof to her chest then slowly released and did this a couple more times.
She observed at her broken brother, weeping on the floor, she thought to herself how good she is with solving problems but this is simply out of her control.

"This is my fault!" He wept, "If only I went down with her maybe I would have caught this in time."

Twilight naturally wanting to help responded "This isn't your fault." She felt the tears swell up again herself, "Its a good thing that Cadence opened that cell, that stallion may have very well saved her life, even if your were there with her this would have happened anyway." She patted her brother's head. They sat there for hours waiting for a nurse to give the okay, but she didn't and it felt like centuries, emotionally drained and dull by the trauma they said nothing to each other, just sitting alone with their own minds to company them. A nurse came out, with a report.

"The princess is stable for now, she is resting and will be keeping an eye on her condition as we search for a diagnoses. I assure you we have our top doctors in Equestria working on the case."
Then the earth pony left. The adrenaline settled down as the news of her stability calmed them, the air felt dry and the lighting was murky.

Twilight stood up, "Well, looks like there's no point in just standing here." she had realized there was a clock in front of them she didn't notice before and they had skipped lunch and time for supper was approaching, with all this commotion they had forgotten to eat. "I have an idea." she said softly, "How about we grab some dinner?"

Shining nudged at his broccoli with his fork in his magical aura, his potatoes grew cold and hay burger felt lonely, Twilight hadn't ate very much either, "I guess I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was." The lavender pony watched her peas role around in the small space on her plate between the potatoes and burger.

"I'm not very hungry either." Shining Armor put his fork down.

"I wonder how the party went, since this happened. Maybe they cancelled, or perhaps they didn't let it go to waste." Twilight stared.

Dull, Shining Armor stared at his plate slowly contemplating what Twilight had said, "Doesn't matter now." she looked up at her brother now speaking, "All that matters is that Cadence gets better and hope for the best." it was quiet for a moment, "We appreciate you and your friends hard work, I'm sorry we didn't get to enjoy it to the fullest."

"I'm sorry too." Twilight said in a low voice.

They had decided to skip supper and made their way to the waiting room, it had been another couple hours until a white pegasus with medium dark brown hair came in, it was the same one rushing with the other doctors administering drugs to Cadence in the halls. Shining and Twilight stood up when she entered the room with a clip board in her hooves, she called their names and made way to a private room, "Hello I am Doctor Caress Alot, I am one of many doctors working on your wife's medical case. We have looked at this every way we could and came to one solution, the good news is, your going to have unicorn Twins." the news stood standing in the moment with silence in the air.

Shining Armor broke this silence, "I'm going to have, two children?"

"Congrats to you and your wife your highness." Caress said unenthusiastically, "but there's more. The condition she has is called, Geminus Magica, extremely rare only 1 set out of every 10,000 twins will have this condition, normally a mother will not feel the bursts of magic of unicorns or twins in the womb but with this condition the twins have a type of Identical magic, mothers often feel this kind of magic in discomfort or pain but not as strong like your wife has it, we have no ideas on why mothers feel it or why it causes discomfort and I fear she may not make it through all the trimesters of the pregnancy and will need a disabling spell machine near by at all time, our other doctors are working on it right now as we speak and should no longer have any more problems with the pregnancy if this works out. "

"Will she not be able to use her magic any longer until the pregnancy is over?" Twilight questioned.

"No, she'll still use magic, it's the twins we are disabling, it wont harm them. in fact, Twins with identical magic grow up to have very normal lives, they often are able to use spells most unicorns can't attempt. The disabling machine maybe just an inconvenience till then."

Shining stared at the floor trying to soak it all in, "So, will she be okay? why is this happening?"

"We don't know why this is happening, I'm sorry I can't provide any further information on this diagnoses, perhaps it's so strong because she's an alicorn and you two together create one of the most powerful magics in the world. She's is in room 41, I'm sure they're done by now."
The pegasus left the two alone, free to go about their way. Cadence was weak from the magic which drained her energy, her back was to them so she did not see them right away when they came into the room.

"Honey? how you feeling?" Shining Armor came into Cadence's view with a smirk on his face.

"I will be okay." she replied.

"We sure will be." Shining Armor said as Twilight also came into view.

Cadence's expression suddenly changed "What about Snickerdoodle? where is he?"

"He saved your life."

"He should be rewarded when we get back home, I was worried you may have threw him back in jail." she paused for a moment, "Have they said anything to you about the babies?"

"Yes, we are going to be parents of two great children." he rubbed his horn against hers. "Where is that machine she was talking about anyway?" he looked about the room. Cadence pointed to the corner at a mechanical tower that glowed green along it's side.

"How are you going to get around with that thing?" Twilight questioned, strangely looking at the technical thing.

"Caress is going to give me a disabling spell charm before we leave, we will keep the tower in the castle and when I need to leave I will bring my gadget charm thing I suppose."

"No matter, we'll make it work, we have too. I don't want to lose you or the babies." Shining said.

"Of course not." the couple rubbed their horns once more.

Shining Armor stayed with his wife as Twilight went to the Crystal Castle to straighten things out, the couple was left with piles of unopened baby shower gifts with varying colors, that many of the ponies that attended the party left for the expecting couple, Snickerdoodle, a generous pony, and the main six stayed behind to move the gifts from outside and into the crystal castle. As Twilight made her entrance the ponies looked to her in concern wondering about Cadence.

"Is the princess alright?" Apple jack had her hat to her chest.

"Yes, she's going to be alright." Twilight replied and the ponies sighed in relief.

"So then what happened to her darling?" Rarity pressed.

"Well, I think I shouldn't talk for Cadence, she may want to spill the news herself."

"Spill the news!?" Pinkie gasped, "News can't be spilled only drinks can hehe."

"Oh please Miss Pie this is no time for jokes." Rarity stared at the pink pony.

"It's okay, at least it's over now and she and umm.. her baby is safe." Twilight smiled to cover her hesitation of a white lie, Pinkie quickly became suspicious.

"Twilight, I know that smile is fake and-" she suddenly gasped, "My intuition is telling me something amazing!" Pinkie hopped all over the place and twilight flew stopping her in her tracks pressing a hoof against her chest.

"No pinkie, you must keep this quiet a tleast until Cadence can spread the news."

the others looked amongst each other as pinkie made a pinkie promise. "What is it?" Apple jack asked.

"I bet she knows the gender all ready." Rarity squealed.

"I bet she knows the species and it's a super awsome pegasus!" Rainbow added in excitement.

"More like a unicorn." Fluttershy said quietly.

"I don't mean to break the excitement but could we get a move on, we still have some more gifts to transport." Snickerdoodle said in frustration,
the other unkown pony nodded.

The sun set in an orange hue and many gifts were given to the couple from the city ponies, They ended the day by setting them in a large empty room and the pile was higher then the Cake's bakery.

Cadence just stared at the 4 foot tower, white and the line of greenish blue light asked for the attention of the room, "How could this have happened?" Cadence continued to observe the technical thing, "What is going on?" she moaned, she turned to the other side of the bed.
"What are you guys doing in there?" she stared at her abdomen pondering all the possibilities, girls, boys, girl and boy, pegasus, is an alicorn actually possible? two babies? how could she take care of two foals at the same time? ideas just kept running through her head. Shining Armor slept in the nearby chair as the excitement of the day died down, the dead adrenaline knocked him out.
"I have a feeling this is going to be a long 10 months."

------------------------

"Now honey be careful now, steady." Cadence rolled her eye's over Shining Armor's over concern.

"Shining, I'm fine really."

"Nope, even though you think your fine your not. I'm going to make sure we baby proof this castle too, I'll order the guards to help and we can call it project Baby Bottle, what do you think?"

"I think your over reacting, besides it's a little early to be baby proofing, let alone the whole castle don't you think?"

"Those hormones are still just kicking in." Shining Armor said delightfully still excited over the twins. Suddenly it felt like a stallion kicked her in the gut and she withdrew from the pain, looking in the direction the pain came from strange enough no one was there.

"Are you all right?" Shining Armor asked in concern.

"Uh, yeah.. Strange as it is it felt like-" She withdrew in pain again, it was sharp this time and she found herself in the dark room of her bed sleeping next to shining Armor, she shoved her hoof into his side.

"Ow!" he woke up as Cadence sat up, he observed. "What's wrong?"

"I think it's time." she looked at her large baby bump her side was caving in like it should.

"IT'S TIME!" He fell out of the bed, he got up frantically off the floor with a blanket over his head, "It's time, it's time. We have to go, Honey stay calm! I got this." he pulled the blanket off, his mane in a mess.

"Shining Armor I think you need to calm down a bit." she almost giggled before another sharp pain hit her and withdrew.

"It's just the hormones honey just keep calm I'll get help!" he carried her in his raspberry magic in a frantic gallop.

"Good thing I grabbed this before we took off." Cadence thought putting on the anti magic charm on, leaving the machine behind. another labor pain hit like a stabbed her in the gut, It hurt a lot worse than she imagined it would be like, she prepared the last 11 months for this day and it was worse than she figured it would be, how would she ever get through this she pondered.

"It's TIME!" Shining Armor yelled, they had been preparing for this day for awhile now, they even got Doctor Caress who would live in the castle for the preparation "Its time." He kept her in his magic as the labor pains and contractions increased.

"Oh my, come come, put her on here." she pointed at a nearby bed.

Tears began to shed as the pain increased, and Shining released her from his magic gently putting her down onto the bed.
"Will she be okay?" He asked anxiously.

"I'm sure things will go smoothly, close the door we're going to need some privacy."

Twilight poked out the door from her room, "It's time?" she said in a groggy dazed out voice, she shook her head, "Oh my gosh! IT'S TIME!" she jumped out from the room, she galloped to the located Doctor's room, a sign in the window blocked any view inside of it, it read "Stay out!"
"What? I'm her sister she won't mind." she tried opening the door but the knob would not turn, the door was locked. "Hey... they locked me out."
she said disheartened, she would miss the birth of her nieces or nephews. So she pulled out a chair and sat in front of the door, she could hear the labored breathing of Cadence and the voices of Caress and her brother telling her what such a good job she was doing. Her ears pinned back disappointed and sighed, "At least I'm the lucky Aunt of these two lucky Foals. Birth doesn't matter, watching them grow does." she tried to cheer herself up by looking to the bright side, "But watching this miracle take place would still have been amazing." she looked down again.
She began to reflect back 10 months ago when she came home from the hospital, Everypony was so worried but when they broke the news excitement filled the air with cheers. With all the gifts collected from the baby shower they were well beyond prepared for the childrens coming.
She remembered when she blew up on them when they decided to keep the babies genders and species secret till birthing, Twilight wanted it spoiled for herself, who were they, would she have a sassy niece and a gentle nephew, a roudy boy and a soft spoken girl? The air filled with the screams of Cadence broke Twilight's train of thought.

"I can't do it, I can't do it." Cadence sobbed.

"Yes you can." Twilight heard her brother say from the other side of the door.

"Your doing fine, your almost there."

another scream pierced Twilight's ears and she shrugged back into her chair, hearing Cadence in so much agony made her feel uneasy, she wished she could do something for her. Again feeling disheartened Twilight got up from the chair, "Well nothing I can do here I suppose.. Waiting here is just making me even more impatient." she walked down the crystal hall hearing Cadence's voice echo through it all, she entered the babies room, plentiful in toys and posters of cute animals. Cadence always wanted her baby's room a pastel color and that's exactly what she did, it must have been the only room in the castle another color than a clear crystal blue and purple like the rest of it was. Twilight walked through the room and slid her hoof against the special requested crib for the foals, each had it's own both painted white, the delicate carved wood called for attention. "I've been waiting for you two for a long time." Twilight whispered, "And I can't wait to meet you both." she sighed trying to calm her anxious mind. Soon she realized Cadence had stopped screaming, Twilight turned around curious if they had arrived but she began again the ear stinging volume echoing the halls. she sat down onto the lion face shaped rug then suddenly Cadence stopped screaming again, trying not to get her hopes up she waited a minute before she hit the ground running again.

"NO HOW CAN THIS BE?!" the Doctor yelled, her voice echoing against the walls. Twilight had both front hoofs against the door.

"What's wrong! Let me in!" she banged against it, then her hoofs stung from falling to the hard cold floor after the door opened unexpectedly.

"Twilight calm down." Shining Armor answered, two young voices cried out and shivered. "I want to introduce you to my daughter Skyla and my son Skyler." he moved out of the way and there, two young alicorns laid. Skyla a hot pink coat with a two toned main of yellow and purple, Skyler a White coated colt with a triple colored main of three different shades of blue, like Shining Armor's but darker, His wings tips was a very dark grey, almost black.

"He's a boy." Twilight said in awe and jaw to the floor, "He's an alicorn."

Shining Armor picked them up in his raspberry magic, "then that would make him the first."Shining Armor looked at Twilight, "Tradition calls for the first boy to have title to the crown, which makes Skyler the heir to the thrown." He allowed Twilight to take Skyla in her magic.

"What about her?" Skyla was calm compared to her brother floating around in Twilight's magic as the other squirmed uncomfortably in Shining Armor's.

"She will be the next heir if, Equestria forbids, something happened to Skyler. Other than that we will have her in our company until she gets married." Shining Armor was proud of his children and his now resting wife.

Dr. Caress stepped forward, "Now we must disable the disabling spell."
as soon as she released the spell the twin's horns made a spark which joined together, Twilight and Shining Armor looked puzzled at the sight.
"This is what your wife was experiencing ten months ago when she was first admitted to the hospital, it's a powerful magic, now I understand why it was so strong with this pair. They're alicorns!" she took a bow, "And I am honored to have delivered your children, now lets let your wife rest in piece and quiet."

"Wait.." Cadence said quietly and exhausted, the ponies looked at her, "I want to see them." Shining Armor claimed Skyla from Twilight and placed the foals in front of Cadence, she touched them and stroked her hoof against their cheeks one at a time. Skyla's dark pink coat shone by the light of the room and Skyler's sparkled as each of them looked at their mother for the first time their eye's locked in each others presence. "My beautiful babys" Cadence thought, "Of all the possibilities, Skyla a daughter of mine with beautiful blue eye's like her father's and color's like me. Skyler a son of mine, with the color scale of his father's and an alicorn with eye's like mine. Who could have known?" Yet the mystery of her childrens character increased. "What would you look like when you grow up? who would you be?" tears rolled down her cheeks. "Either way your beautiful to me."

Author's Note:

Thank you for your support but please know that either way I went whether the twins were common ponies or alicorns some readers would not have been happy. My intent about halfway through writing was to have Cadence birth alicorns so I may write more about them in a planned sequel. When will this release I don't know, I am currently wrigting another story unrelated to this one. I was so eager to get this last chapter out I hope you enjoyed and it was a satisfying ending for you.:twilightsmile: For now atleast :raritywink:

Comments ( 2 )

Did you read the last chapter already? you read really fast :rainbowderp:
Anyway I'm working on that right now in fact. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment