• Published 9th Apr 2015
  • 1,804 Views, 41 Comments

Baby blues (literally) - splash626



Princess cadence is pregnant! Everyone wants to celebrate but her.

  • ...
4
 41
 1,804

3 weeks along

"I can't believe it!" she screamed in her imagination, "Our very own foal! How am I gonna tell Shining armor? ooh! a surprise a grand surprise!" Cadence trotted down the bright city of crystal ponies, many were staring she seemed more alighted than usual. "Will it be a little princess or prince? pink or blue?" she pondered the question for a moment, "pink blue? If I had the choice which would it be?.." she literally stopped in her tracks for a moment, "Oh doesn't matter, Shining armor will be so pleased!" she began to trot again in the warm rays of the afternoon sun until one pony stopped her.


"Pleased about what?" The curious pony asked but then he realized he forgot to bow, "Oh, my princess." he laid low.

"It's okay, you may be dismissed, I promise you'll find out soon enough." She shook her hooves in the air in glee then kept pace, going around the pony. She hadn't realized she even said that aloud for others to hear, if she's gonna make this a surprise she better keep quiet. She entered through the crystal doors to find Shining armor wasn't in their throne room, she was going to set out a search until she realized, "Oh I forgot he's working over time with the guards." her fill of excitement deflated a little but rose again, "Oh I'll just pay him a visit." The day ticked onward and the sun was setting low, Cadence had already checked out the shops where baby cradles and supplies may be, she couldn't decide and Shining armor would be home soon. She thought she could snuff out the required supplies needed on her way to see Shining armor, "Just one." she thought then two then three, soon enough the day slipped by. Ponies through out the shops stared her down with shiny white smiles as she looked through the pastel colored paints and baby toys, they whispered and rumors were already beginning to form.

"I've seen her visit the doctor several times over the past 6 months already." one crystal pony whispered to another.

"I've seen her walk around town with a big smile on her face and told another pony that we would know soon enough what she's been so happy about lately." the other answered, and a third replied,

"Looks like somebody's expecting." in a excited whisper

Cadence was all to aware of the assumptions forming, "Maybe I should have just waited this out and sent a guard pony to check the supplies for me, well.. No! This is my baby and we going to pick out what we want for our foal." The whispering audience kept getting bigger, the fear of Shining armor finding out before she could get the chance to tell him got the best of her and she turned around to the whispering audience that suddenly became quiet, the ponies then went about their business but she wasn't having it, "Listen, I know you're wondering why I'm looking at this supplies in all but please keep quiet about this. I don't want anypony to know." the group gasped, then giggles broke the silence.

"Oh, your going to be a great mother, princess!" A rose colored unicorn came up to her personally, "Don't worry we'll keep your secret! right guys!" she turned around and group nodded within the shop except one, he was known as the town grouch, he was well known with in the community and was known to have no children, not that he didn't have any. His name is Snicker doodle doo with a chocolate brown coat and black mane. He wasn't well kept and he was an older pony, he walked out of the audience and up to the alicorn with a stern frown, it was like he was scanning her as the princess felt a little uncomfortable with the awkward situation as no words were exchanged, he broke the silence.

"Princess huh? bagh, what princess could care for a child she is so busy already!"

"Excuse me?" she lifted a brow.

"You heard me, you heard me well! All that paper work and protecting the kingdom business, the poor child will probably have to have a baby sitter all of the time."

"Sir that is not your place to-"

"Miles well send it off to adoption, be glad to see that day commin' the world thinks it always revolves around them." he grumbled as he walked off, Cadence stomped her hoof to get his attention and it was so hard the whole building shook a little, even the princess' hoof stung a little but she ignored it she was so furious.

"That is not your place to decide!" she said sternly eyes pinned at the stallion who had not turned around, "Who are you to tell me what kind of a parent I would be or to raise my child and if you ever talk to me or my husband or anypony so rudely again, you're going to spend the rest of your life in a prison where no sunlight will pierce through again!" tears had swelled up and her face showed much anger.

The pony walked away mumbling, "Never see Celestia having children."

The rose colored unicorn was quite shaken up from the sudden outburst from both sides, "I am so sorry Princess Cadence, don't mind him he's just an old grouch that doesn't want to talk to anypony, I've never seen a situation he mustered up get so severe."

The alicorn turned toward the pony, "Do you know him?"

Nervous she began dwindling her hooves, "Uh.. Well of course many of the pony folk around here know him."

Seeing the nervous pony and the fear unfolding she realized what was happening, "Oh.. I'm sorry it's just.. maybe.. I'll just go home."

"Maybe that's best." the unicorn poked the air and left it as that.

"I can't believe, so rude, so so.. just ugh!" Cadence stared at the ground while on her way back to the castle, "He is not right about that information, I am a good parent! or will be anyway, I am not going to hire a baby sitter, I'll show that pony he's wrong!" her subconsciousness was telling her to slow down and push back the bitter thoughts but she wanted to ignore it but then the question inside her came out honestly, "Is he right? will I be so busy I won't have time for him or her? will I hire a baby sitter?" she shook off the question and kept trotting, "Maybe I could hire Twilight?" she gave a small smile as the memories of baby sitting her herself came back, "gosh, I guess I really am pregnant with these severe mood swings, hope it doesn't back fire."

Author's Note:

Tell me what you think so far, are you interested? what can I work on? constructive critism helps!