• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 2,435 Views, 78 Comments

Rise of a Dragonslayer - TheSoulBlades



After a trip to a gaming convention goes awry, a woman dressed as Dragonslayer Ornstein finds herself in Equestria, long before the times of the actual show.

  • ...
9
 78
 2,435

Agreements

The medical ponies as I now knew they were called had finished treating my arm. The upper half of my armor was currently off, revealing the simple doublet I had created to wear under the armor had become a true velvet doublet.
It was black with white accents. It was clear it was made to be worn under armor as any form of flair was sewn as part of the doublet, making it appear as a flat shirt. It was comfortable to wear, and looked good enough for me to actually wear it to a formal event. Overall, this was one change I could easily get used to.

My arm still hurt, but at least it was bandaged and mending. Their medical skills were predictable for medieval society in terms of technology, but apparently healing spells made up for that by leaps and bounds. It obviously wasn’t completely healed, but it wasn’t bleeding at least.

Assuming my earlier guess at the ponies being between 5 and 6 feet, then that meant I was somewhere above 6 feet tall, perhaps 6’5. I wasn’t sure how tall the Princesses were, but they were taller than any other pony I had seen so far, that much I knew.

With all the changes to what had come with me to this world, I asked for a mirror. My hair went unchanged, still its usual straight black self. It travelled down just past my shoulders, same as usual. In fact, the only change was in my height, everything else only changed in proportion to that. If I didn’t know of the height change, I’d actually think there was no change to my appearance. If I had to take a guess however, I would say I was likely a bit more muscular than before.

I was roused from my thoughts by someone entering the room. I was currently still in the pony equivalent of a hospital, which is to say a single room, a sort of office/reception area, and an area for patients. When I turned to see who had entered, I saw that both of the Princesses had come to visit.

Looking quite annoyed with something, the solar Princess spoke first, “My sister tells us that you are a ‘Knight of Gwyn’ as she calls it. Is this true?”

I was taken aback by the sudden question, and I’m certain the confusion was visible on my features as she went on, “You said this to her while she visited your dreams, did you not?”

That was when I remembered what she was talking about, that’s why this lunar Princess looked familiar. I had seen her in that weird dream I had, but a question came to mind, “Wait, you mean to tell me you can enter dreams?” I looked to Luna as I said this, assuming that to be her name as she had introduced herself by that in my dream.

“As well as being the ruler of the night, we are the warden of dreams, it is only fitting that we should be able to,” came her rather simple explanation.

I merely blinked at her. “Right… Well, as for your question, I am,” I hesitated for a moment, should I admit that I wasn’t really a Knight of Gwyn? The solar diarch, as I now knew her to be, motioned for me to continue, so I quickly finished with, “I am indeed a Knight of Gwyn, though I am also the last of Gwyn’s knights.”

“If that is true, then what has become of this Gwyn, and these Knights of Gwyn?” questioned Luna.

I hesitated for a moment before looking down in mock sadness, I’d gone this far, I might as well go through with it now, “They are… no more.”

What I meant clearly sunk in, as they shared a glance between each other, not pressing the issue any further. An awkward silence took over the room, as neither of them seemed willing to break the silence, though it didn’t last very long.

“Knight Revan,” I looked up to the solar diarch as she addressed me, “we would like to request that…” She trailed off, but her sister continued for her.

“We ask that you aid us against this Dragon menace, as thou well saw, they are attacking our subjects unprovoked, with little care for the lives or property of anypony whom stands in their path.” Luna paused a moment before continuing, “We would of course be willing to compensate thee with housing, payment in the form of Equestrian bits, and of course, something to eat.”

With the way these Princesses had put it, and my own observations from my encounter with the dragon from earlier, it sounded like I’d be doing people a service by agreeing to this. Not to mention they’d just offered me payment, housing, and food. Wait, did they just say anypony? Oh I hope they don’t expect me to get used to that.

“Should thou require time to think it over, we are of course willing to await an answer.”

With a sudden conviction I said, “I want to see their crimes for myself. I refuse to judge an entire species based upon the deeds of but one creature.”

The solar diarch replied with the same conviction, only perhaps less forcefully, “Then we ask that thou accompany our sister to the outskirts of our land so that thou might see for thyself what these creatures are capable of.”

My reply was obvious, “Of course, that should be all I require to make my judgment.” If these dragons were at least somewhat good-natured, they’d at least avoid harming civilians. Right?

Luna then spoke, “As thou say. Celestia, we shall be leaving with our personal troop shortly.” Celestia nodded to that as Luna continued to me, “We expect thou have no qualms with this?”

I bowed at the waist as I said, “None at all Princess, it’s not as though I have anything to prepare.”

“Very good. Then without further ado, we believe the kitchens should be finished preparing our meal.” With that, Luna turned and left.

A moment past in silence before I spoke, “I take it I won’t be allowed to roam freely until I give my answer.” I had ensured my expression was unreadable before I spoke, and I think I got it down too.

Celestia shook her head with a frown before replying, “No, you may roam the castle grounds, followed by guards of course, but no more unless you are departing with us or my sister.”

I nodded, starting to find it difficult not to mimic the Princesses and refer to myself as ‘we’ or ‘us.’ This was a reasonable stipulation I supposed, one I wouldn’t like, but reasonable. Then I remembered how I had killed the dragon, causing a frown to crease my otherwise neutral expression.

“We understand that it is not an agree-”

I quickly interrupted Celestia, knowing what she was about to say, “No, it is not that Your Majesty. I simply can’t help but remember how I killed that dragon earlier.”

The solar Princess raised an eyebrow in question at that, I still found it odd seeing human features and expressions on an otherwise equine fa- muzzle. “Pray tell, why ever would you feel bad about saving ponies from a creature that was clearly content with killing them, simply so it could expand its hoard?”

I began to formulate my reply when the last part sunk in, “These dragons are doing this simply out of greed?” My voice was level, but deadly serious.

She nodded solemnly, “Indeed, they are driven by their desire to gather valuable gems such as rubies, emeralds, and sapphires, to name but a few. Dragons are natural hoarders, with the majority of them stealing that which they crave at the worst. However, as you yourself saw, this particular group is not the majority. They are vicious, and willing to pillage our subjects’ homes with the knowledge that Equestria is known for its abundance of gemstones.”

I paused at that, if it were true, then these dragons were no better than petty muggers, only they steal from an entire village at once. I voiced my thoughts to Celestia, “Assuming what you say is true, which as of now I have no reason to believe isn’t, then they are petty thieves, holding up entire villages and towns. Should I fail to find anything contradicting this while with Princess Luna, then I shall accept your offer Your Highness.”

Celestia nodded to me, “Tis all we ask of you, Knight Revan.”

Author's Note:

I have recently reconsidered some of my thinking of how the dragons of Equestria work, mainly due to what some of you have brought up. I am going to try and make it so Revan still struggles with dealing with different threats, starting with dragons, but at the same time make it fit the powers of Ornstein and his spear.

Anyways, sorry for the delay on this one, and its short length.

Oh, and as a note to those who favorited and I didn't get around to thanking, sorry about that, I was sick for a while and fell behind on that, so hopefully this will make up for it. Hopefully.

Comments ( 31 )

Well, good to see some morals, and that it isn't just pointless slaughter of dragons.

Woah, well hello there. Hm, where to start with these... I'll just go with the first comment on.
5696641
*Ahem* Yes, Ornstein is pretty cool.
5696649
I... Honestly didn't think about the whole 'I can shoot lighting from my spear' thing at the time... Huh.
5696658
Yes, the fire vulnerability will be shown later on, for now Revan's just instinctively getting away from it.
5696661
Finally, morals are going to be one of the things that shall keep Revan... How to put it, human? These /are/ sentient dragons, and though most are all well and good, the ones that Revan is encountering... Well, let's be honest. They're assholes.

Yay! New chapter! I saw a mistake or two, but i forgot where they are. You were missing a word somewhere.
Anyway, good chapter. I'm looking forward to the next.

5696748 Really? Hm... I'll have to hunt it down once I get a free moment.

5696767 i think it was near the beginning.
Found it

Wait, did they just anypony?

You're missing the word "say"

5696772 Ah, thank you. I actually found a second mistake as well, where I added an extra word. Thanks for spotting that!

Love that newest addition...though I can't help but to wonder if revan will be able to be come large like the ornstein from the game when you kill smough the executioner :rainbowderp: anyways keep up the amazing work!

5696865 She's larger than her original self, being 6'5 now. As for any larger, I'm considering it still. Probably won't happen, at least not permanently. But you never know.

Has she become exactly like Ornstein or simply gained his skills and weapon?
Because the Knights of Gwyn where not human but more like the demigods to Gwyn and the other gods and the Ornstein one fights in Anor Londo is not at the height of his power.

5696894 She's sort of 'growing into the position' if that makes any sense. As of this point, she's basically Anor Londo Ornstein right now, but as she recovers and learns to use her powers, it'll climb to be the 'true' Ornstein. If that makes any sense.

5696924
That does make sense and now i feel kind of sorry for the equestrian dragons once she reaches the top.

5696932 Yeah, anything that gets in her way is going to have a very bad day once she reaches that point. As for the dragons? Well, we'll see what happens, won't we?

I can't help but feel I'm missing something. Was Ornstien a female?

5697800 No. Ornstein was male. Though Revan has been mostly changed to fit Ornstein, her physical appearance has only changed in proportion, as stated in... Realization? Now I'm not sure myself. Anyway, Revan's actual body was left alone by the magic. When wearing the armor, you'd be unable to tell the difference between her and Ornstein (Except in height), though out of it you'd never realise the similarity in appearance alone.

5696924
they're screwed, so very screwed.

Do you think the chosen undead could have beaten Ornstein back in the day?

this better update soon, it's looking really good so far and I'd hate for it to stay so woefully incomplete

heck, I'd love for this to get to the point of crossovers, i'd jump The Guardian here quicker than you could say 'supercalifragelisticexpealidocious' even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious

I approve of Revan wanting confirmation that the dragons attacking the ponies are indeed proper assholes before agreeing to become the Equestrian Dragonslayer. That said, I hope she does take more of an active role in preempting dragon assaults, rather than a passive "they are attacking a town, get me to it!" sort of approach. After all, she is only one sapient creature. She can't be every where at once.

5798148 She is female, but the rewrite's going to change that. (Simply so people stop getting confused, Revan will remain however!) Look at my blog post to learn more.

so you plan to rewrite the story.
should i wait to give it a read until after?

5947789 I'd read it now, 'cause after I looked at everything again from being away for so long, I actually kinda sat there for a moment trying to figure out what had lead me to the insane belief that I should rewrite what I have at the moment. XD

Weeee, Ornstein! Or at least, an Ornstein Displaced. Me likey.^^b

Also, nuuuuuu~ Dun change lil Revi into a guy. I think its cute to know that there´s a girl underneath all that glorious armor.

6330155 Huh? This is still getting looked at? Shit, I need to get my ass in gear and work on it again.

In truth, I can't even remember why I made that decision, and find myself regretting it. In fact, the entire rewrite idea just sounds dumb in my head now. I must have made the decision while I was just leaving the hospital and still on the meds they gave me.

Oh, and thanks for the favorite!

6331379
Ah, pfhew. Thats a boulder of my heart.

Also , your are very welcome. Im really lookin foreward for more Dragonslayer-y goodness.^^

This tale shows great promise. Keep up the good work.

I really, REALLY hope that you either
A: Do not include Smough at all in this story,
or
B: Bring Smough in as an antagonist for Ornstein to fight, likely after terrorizing the populace with how he is.

DNC

Can she use miracles?:trixieshiftright: It was never done in the game, but as one of the four knights it would make sense.:applejackunsure: Heck you could even give her the sun lite spear too.:pinkiecrazy:

9236654
That is a great question I shall have to consider for my rewrite of this. Thank you for bringing that up!

9236860
so with you confirming that you are remaking this could you give us some kind of timetable so we don't lose hope like some time 2019 or December or something

9239019
Oof, that's hard. I want to do it soon, but I'm in college now so finding time can be a bitch sometimes. If I can make it happen by the start of the next semester, I'd be really happy.

DNC

9236860
If you wont to be clever, you can make it so she was ether displaced with tome's from the third game or can find them.:trixieshiftright: A good way for her to lean how to use them from scratch.:pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment