• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 903 Views, 19 Comments

Waves - MelancholyIguana



Human in Equestria story. You wake up on golden shores, in a land seemingly familiar. When a local resident finds you, she looks worried. Read on to find out why...

  • ...
1
 19
 903

Not all can be so Lucky

sssssssSSSSSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhsssssssSSSSSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh

The sound of feeble thunder crashed around. Everywhere the noise flowed like a thousand beads falling in waves... waves... waves...

A cool sensation, massaging in its touch, ever rising then falling merely to rise once more caressed my sides.

Waves... waves.... waves...

It was light, a dull warmth in the air beyond my closed eyelids. Like light furthest from the evening, defiant against the void stepping in and taking its place, sending forth a thousand specks of sand dotted the sky, dwarfed by the soft glow of the moon.

Waves... waves... waves...

...Voices. No, one voice but distant. Warm, deep, melodic yet distant. A different touch met my skin. Ascension stole my head from the soothing masseuse and with resentful eyes, I saw my company.

Waves...waves...waves...

A zebra, with gold furnishing her head and neck. Eyes that showed untold wisdom and flecks of concern. No, not concern... something... stronger.

‘Do not put yourself under stress
For you are looking quite a mess’

And she talks! Sparks flew through my mind. Sparks for a memory. A memory of a memory. Yet try as it might, no kindling ignited.

Waves...waves...waves...

Who are you? I tried to ask. My words failed me but she somehow still knew.

‘I must remove you from this water
Or else our talk will be much shorter’

But why? I couldn’t move, try as I might. Through all the effort I put in, my limbs remained unresponsive. With hooves curled under my arms, the zebra woman strained under my weight. She was only half my size and more importantly, the sand and water sucked me under, reluctant to let me go.

‘The sand is causing much resistance
Hang I’ll go and get assistance’

And like that she was gone. The flicker of memory still trying to gain footing. Who was she? I strained my ears in wait.

Waves...waves...waves...

Moments later, feeling like hours, and still no return of the familiar stranger. The hands of the sea still lapped at my sides. The tingling of my skin let me know that the sun was running higher in the sky. The brightness beyond my eyelids solidifying that fact.

And then, shadows passed over my eyes. A light breeze licked my face and passed over my chest, bringing to my attention the damp clothing I was wearing now clinging to my skin.

Waves...waves...waves...

I cracked an eye open again and saw before me another creature. This one was different. It was wrong, it’s towering form driving fear into me yet my numb body remained ignorant of my need to escape.

It was tall. It had the torso of a woman covered in scales; its arms were pale green with darker green on the back of the arms giving the illusion of a tan. Her arms ended in slender hands, each bladed with razor sharp claws. Her fingers wore small sections of bamboo. Not unlike rings, I thought. Sprouting from her back protruded two large, ragged, black vulture wings visible beneath a leather cloak draped over her head and shoulders. The cloak looked tattered and faded with age. Its ends frayed. Her lower half resembled a rattle snake, making her every move sound like rain passing over fields. Her long hair, whilst mostly hidden under her hood, was shaggy and tangled with hollow reeds which only seemed to mimic the sounds drifting from her tail. Lying curtained behind her hair, hid her face. Reptilian, but with an essence of something human in it.

Maybe it was the look of sadness in her eyes.
But why sadness?

Waves...waves...waves...

With a hand outstretched, she leaned down toward me. I flinched causing her to retract slightly, but then resumed her advanced. She placed her hand on my head. Gently, she petted my fringe.

“Poor thing” she breathed. “You traveled so far like many before you. From a land lost to us” she continued.
“You tried so desperately to get here.” A flash of green light emerged in my mind. Images flowed down into my thoughts as if through her comforting touch. My eyes closed. “And whilst many have managed to find lives here...” The images flowed faster, my entire life flashing before me. Something niggled at the back of my mind.

“...not everyone can be so lucky” The hairs on the back of my neck stood instantly. The images stopped, my eyes shot open. I expected her to be poised to strike, to finish me off. Talon-ed fingers and pointed teeth would have made it very easy. But she didn’t. Only a solemn face stared back at me.

She moved back, eyes still on me as voices came into earshot. It was the zebra again, and she had company. A horse. No, two horses. But they were too small to be horses. The first was green too? I would have been more surprised but this wasn’t exactly shocking. The other was a deep blue with a silver mane which was almost entirely blocked by what looked like a nurse’s hat, a medical kit held in her mouth.

The spark in my mind caught my mind alight. I knew where I was! I knew why I tried to get here. News of individuals disappearing without any trace of where they disappeared too resulted in my investigation into the possibility of other worlds. I guess it paid off.

“Without treatment, these wounds that are quite mucky,
Will show not all can be so lucky”

“Not all can be so lucky” The snake woman echoed. Hand placed over the other, gracefully, like a bride would at a wedding.
Lucky? Why am I not Lu-

A sharp pain in my stomach hit me like a truck. I winced, raising my head in the process to bring my eyes into full view of why my ‘luck’ was not good enough.

Blood leaked from my torso, staining the water around me a translucent red and the sand a muddy brown. I can’t imagine what would be worse. Waking up on an unknown seashore with no memory of what happened, or remembering every excruciating detail.

“Puncture wounds, Melody use this” said the blue horse, setting the med kit down, flipping it open and tearing bandages and syringes out passing them to the green one. She jabbed me. The pain floated away and my mind slowly started to follow it.

“Not all can be so lucky” the snake woman echoed again. The ‘not quite’ horses worked quickly but didn’t even acknowledge her. Oblivious. Completely oblivious.

“Pulse is fading” Melody said applying pressure to my wrist. The zebra held my other hand. Wafting various potions she sung in deep melodic tones.

“B...But...” I stammered. The first word I spoke and all four of the creatures stopped, falling quiet.

“I only just got here... Zecora” The zebra eyes widened, locked onto mine. The colour drained, now greying with everything else.

“We have not met before today,
So how did my name come your way?”

Her voice trailed and blurred towards the end. All I could hear now was the sea.
I felt a tear fall from the corner of my eye.

“I guess I wasn’t so lucky”

“...not all can be so lucky” Invisible to the others, the snake woman glided forward. Passing through the mares before me, she sat down next to me.
“...not all can be so lucky”

Grey faded to black.

Waves...waves...waves...silence

Author's Note:

The spacing is a bit much I think but... yeah. Let me know what you think but be gentle.
If you read to the end, I thank you very much and I hope you enjoyed.

Let me know of any mistakes and how I could improve my writing ability

Thanks again

Comments ( 19 )

Very nice imagery in those first few sentences. I can just picture floating near the shore of some exotic equestrian beach somewhere.

Grey faded to black.

For some odd reason this reminds me of Dayz mod.

“We have not met before today,
So how did my name come your way?”

It's funny to see this story get the meter correct with Zecora's lines when the show gets it wrong so often :rainbowlaugh:

Overall, very nice read. You certainly have talent.

Oh my god I love you for commenting so fast!
Tbh I thought I would be just another forgotten fan amidst the ocean of existing stories (pun intended)

Also, have a look at my blog in the next couple of days. There is a story I wanted to post but was too short to publish. So I'm gonna cheat and use other means :yay:

Oh glob what a terrible ending...

I mean it was a good ending but terribly sad. To make it to Equestria, only to die from the injuries sustained while on the journey. I guess maybe, at the least, he got to die somewhat happy.

Nice story :ajsmug:

P.S. I liked your depiction of death.

5673638 I wanted to write something a bit different.
Sorry about the feels man. :pinkiesad2: Hug?

First off. Well done on realizing it was death. I thought it was too subtle but nevermind. Also, the other thing is that I wanted to keep gender out of this story to make it more personal to either genders who read it. Clever huh? :twilightsheepish:

Thanks for the comment mate.

The one thing that concerns me is that the person who disliked the video didn't give a reason why...

It's important to be given constructive feedback otherwise the like bar is irrelevant.
Basically I'm not mad... just disappointed :fluttershysad:

5681350 Yeah, its disappointing.:pinkiesad2:

5861946 hmm. Do you mean that the person is disappointing or my story? Either is fine but if its my story I wouldn't mind knowing why :applejackunsure:

5861952 I have no prob with you're story, just that people aren't that... well... Y'know.
My story got 10 dislikes, and I don't know why.

Hello! I just wanted to tell you that the Anon in Equestria group is for characters named Anonymous, not unnamed humans. The title is also the rules
1: Anon
2: In Equestria

5862196 oh OK, yh I agree. May I ask which story? I'll have a read and see if I can help :twilightsmile:
Although I do warn you, it may take me a day or two to get around to it. I'm getting backlogged ha ha

5862375 oh sorry. Because the character remains anonymous I assumed that was fine :twilightoops:

Would you like me to remove it?
If so, how do I do that?

5863818 Oh, my second story! I didn't get very far on the first... it was stupid... but the story with 10 dislikes has more than enough like! You don't have to, and we can't satisfy everyone.

5864352 that's a fair point. I just thought I could help. It is surprising sometimes. I found with one story I wrote called "Pinkie's greatest for" I thought people hated it due to the countless comments about the stories formatting, appearances of poor grammar and small things. It wasn't until I stood back and looked at the like/dislike bar and realised that about a dozen people liked it and there were no dislikes. That made me smile from the heart (to put it in a soppy way) :twilightsmile:

5865160 Wise words!(And I like sappy... sometimes...)

5865200 you're a big softy are yah? :pinkiehappy:
Good, its better to be that way.

Now i want to listen to Mr. Probz Waves song.

Login or register to comment