• Published 28th Jan 2015
  • 456 Views, 24 Comments

Infinity Blast - Porqupine



A young Stallion discovers a way to create magic, without a horn. Not everypony is happy with that idea.

  • ...
0
 24
 456

Circle One: A Sticky Situation

Infinity Blast

Circle 1
A Sticky Situation

Written by: Porqupine

The first thing I did as the sun peeked over the horizon was... sleep. The sun didn't wake me, neither did my parents. Of course they didn't, it was Sunday. Sunday is when everyone has a day off. Unless you're a young colt that really wants to try out his new toys. While in this case his 'toys' were ancient runes rarely seen by common populace, I was still just as excited.

When I eventually did wake up, because the sun managed to shine directly onto my face, I got up as fast as I could. It was probably already past eleven since the sun could reach my face when I was lying in bed.

As I got downstairs I quickly headed for the closet with my outdoor toys, kite, bike with side wheels, boomerang and most importantly my chalk. I quickly grabbed the bucket with the sticks of chalk and ran back through the living room, up the stairs. Halfway up I heard my mom calling at me.

“Have you had your breakfast yet, Deary?” She said, a bit louder so I could hear.

“Yes mom I already ate!” I shouted back. Of course I hadn't eaten yet but I had more important things to do. By then I had already reached the top of the stairs and made for my room.

Once inside I took placed the bucket of chalk next to my bed, shoved my carpet aside and opened the book of runes. I immediately skipped ahead to the page I marked, which had the first rune.

The rune sort of resembled a capital 'L', only the bottom line was curved slightly upward. This rune apparently meant strength or strong. By itself runes won't do anything, but when combined into complex rune circles then they could active each other. That what the book said at least.

I drew the rune several times on paper, for practice, and then I drew one near the center of the floor, just a bit closer to my bed.

Next I found a rune, sort of like a 'P' but much more pointy, which meant either connect or hold.

Again I did the same for this rune as for 'strength', only this time I drew the rune on the other side of the room, still near the center but more toward my window.

Now that I had the two runes down I had to connect them so they could activate. This was done by drawing a circle around and on the inside of the runes, basically creating a band in which the runes are held. Then I had to draw a few connectors within the rune circle so the magic could flow properly. Well, at least that's what the book said. I was following the book by the letter.

Once I was finished I looked at the diagram I made and compared it to the one in the book. They were basically the same. The book said that to activate it I'd only need to draw the last connector. I was nearly shaking from anticipation while I was drawing the line. I got closer and closer to the end point. I slowed down a bit, just so I could take a deep breath and finish it. I reached the end point, it connected... and absolutely nothing happened.

I checked the book again, looking if I had missed anything. The diagrams looked exactly like each other. I read a bit further to see if there was something I had to do myself to activate it. I read the part below the diagram... which said that this purely a demonstrative rune circle.
It was designed to do nothing at all, or well, designed to keep the connector lines I drew to make the circle not fade by natural means. It made sense looking back on it. The rune basically said Strong Connection.

It took me about thirty minutes to remove the chalk from my floor. The runes really did keep true to their meaning. I spent the rest of the day practicing runes from the book on paper, there were quite a few interesting ones. The book had Heat, Cool, Strong, Weak, Connect, Break, Touch, Grow, Light and a few more.

All pretty basic. Now I just had to figure out what each one did when combined with another.

The book said that the placement of runes on the so-called rune-belt, affects the entire function of the complex rune, or rune circle.


After many failed attempts spanning several days I finally got one to work. I was a complex rune made of five basic runes, Strong, Connect, Strong, Touch, Connect. In that order, clockwise with even spacing on the rune-belt. Yes spacing also mattered, apparently there are balanced or symmetrical rune circles and unbalanced or asymmetrical ones. Symmetrical circles are usually a lot more stable, but an asymmetrical one can have more complex functions.

Back to the rune, it worked. I placed a small box on it and it wouldn't budge. It was as if it was glued to the floor. Since it was my first ever time I had done magic I was pretty happy. Well I was jumping around in circles and screaming something intelligible that it worked.

Until I accidentally jumped right onto the rune circle. I wanted to jump again but I was not moving. My hooves were stuck to the floor. I couldn't do anything. It was stronger than the strongest glue, and it was really weird. I couldn't lift my hooves but I found that I could, with very much effort, slide them across the floor. Slowly but surely I managed to break a connection as I shuffled about and the effect was instant. I could jump again, I was free!

That was when I felt something warm on my flank, not painful, more pleasant really. I looked at my hind quarters to find that my cutie mark had appeared. My friends were gonna be so, so jealous.

Now that I knew what this rune could do I made a note of it, I recreated it on paper, with ink. It was then that it happened, my first accident involving magic. A stray breeze blew into my room through my open window. I had opened it since it was getting warm in my room from everything I was doing in it. The piece of paper with the rune on it blew from my desk, and as a reaction I tried to catch it. Bad idea. I caught it while the ink was still drying. I now had an almost perfect replica of the run circle on my hoof, but it was mirrored. I had no idea what that could do.

I found out a few minutes later. I tried to reach for my chalk buy when I got too close with my hoof it got pushed away, as if I had a ball around my hoof that would shun anything that got too close. This went on for quite a while before I realized that it must be the circle printed onto my hoof causing it.

I tried to clean my hoof but every time I brought a wash cloth close to the rune it wouldn't actually touch that part of my coat. Eventually I realized I had to break a connection before I could clean it. So that's what I did. Again, not very smart to alter runes when you don't know a lot about them. The result of me doing that was rather explosive. It left me in a cloud of black smoke that quickly dissipated.

Yep, I needed to do some more research before I was trying out anything else. I didn't want to accidentally kill myself because one line was missing or placed incorrectly. To do this research I needed a new book. One that wasn't here at the moment, one that was in the hooves of Princess Twilight Sparkle. I needed that book. I'd get that book, somehow.

Author's Note:

If you guys spot any grammar/spelling mistakes, anything pointed out is welcome.
Just a quick/short first chapter. I wanted to 'kickstart' it a bit so you have some 5~10 minutes of eye food.


Credits to Snails for the 'Screw-up' idea. It sparked some inspiration for me. Maybe not what you thought it'd be but eh~

Yours sincerely,
Porqupine~

Comments ( 17 )

Ok, one of the errors are:
This went on for quiet a while before I realized that it must be the circle printed onto my hoof causing it.
and also one of the paragraphs aren't spaced enough.
Plus there probably is a 'would' that should be a 'wouldn't.

I love the idea that he caught it and it printed on his hoof. You did what I wanted and that was facehoof. :facehoof:
Keep it up! :pinkiehappy:

If only such a thing were to exist in the real world...Then I would study as fervently as Soft Touch :rainbowkiss:

Now I wonder how he's going to accrue the book from Twilight :rainbowderp:

I like this story--a young colt unwittingly learns to harness the magics of zebras. This has much potential... :twilightsmile:

Oh, the beginning, I can't wait to read the rest! The journey of a young colt learning things that he shouldent and going into dangerous territory.

I love how you describe the feeling of getting a cutie mark as warm, very unique! :twilightsheepish:

As for ideas, maybe Zecora could be an intro mentor for Soft touch? Maybe he discovers a darker side of magic then normal runes? In the next episode of.... INFINITY BLAST!!

5561803 Thanks and Fixed :3
(I don't really know what's up with the double author's notes though)

Love the concept and great work so far. Keep it up!:pinkiehappy:

Errors I found:
creating a band in which the runes are. - Are what?

which said that this a purely a demonstrative rune

THIS IS AWESOME WHEN WILL THERE BE MORE

It'd be neat if Soft Touch carried around a saddle bag full of various runes for various purposes.

Idea he uses a rune to prank a friend after school one day

5573728 This is actually a good Idea, probably gonna use it :3


5576842 This could happen maybe in combo with ^ (Most likely)

Yes I give spoilers to my own story... but then again these are good ideas that'll keep me running :D

5580666 Yay!:pinkiehappy: I don't know why, but I suddenly feel very giddy.

Go read An Alternate Path by Rhino and see how he uses the runes.

5580695 I have already read about 3 Rhino stories :p
Looking back I think he might have sparked a bit of my inspiration, but I don't want to use his 'style'. It's also rather difficult for Soft Touch since he's an Earth Pony and not a Unicorn like Rhino. Also Rhino's runes are too... simple? I think I'd call it. He just casts it and bam! he's skating around town.
Oh dear I'm rambling~

Anywho. Initial inspiration might have been from those stories (I've read several other stories with runes as well, and some books on symbolism/witchcraft) but I'm gonna try to stick to my own view of things.

5580720 okay when you started using runes he is the first guy i thought of that used runes

5565344 Oh and I fixed these. Thanks for spotting them :3

I like when my readers are my proof readers (Although I don't know how you feel about that :s)

5580737 I like helping with things like this when I can.

Login or register to comment