• Published 18th Jan 2015
  • 680 Views, 3 Comments

Powerful Tales of the Mysterious Mare-do-Well - Xero Key



Redemption is something Trixie has long desired, and helping the theft investigation was not enough for her. A purple cowl and hat may just give her the chance.

  • ...
 3
 680

The Mare in the Cowl

(Xero Key: I do not own any properties of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or any other properties used. This is a work of fanfiction, please support the official release.)

Manehatten

The City of Living Dreams, The Big Orange. They say that if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. Whether legitimately…

Two ponies walk down an alley cautiously, constantly looking over their shoulders as dirigibels flew overhead in Luna’s sky. They stopped by a spot on the wall and set a bag down, before they scattered into shadows. The bag exploded, leaving a gaping hole in the wall the ponies rushed into.

…Or the illegitimate.

The thieves ran away with their loot through the streets of the city. The sounds of sirens filled the streets as City Guard Unicorns shined lights in their direction, before losing the suspects. On high roof above the alley, the two thieves celebrated their escape.

“Hah, those Guards got nothing!”

“No kidding boss. When’s Flight supposed to meet up with us?”

“In a few he…what the!?” A shadow fell glided over the two before landing a few feet away. “The heck are you?” The shadowed figure did not answer so the two thieves activated their fore-hoof mounted crossbows. The figure moved their hoof to their chest, then flung a curved weapon at the thieves, breaking the crossbows. The figure then leapt at the two, knocking one down and unconscious. The other raised himself onto his hind legs and swung at the figure. The figure easily dodged and knocked the thief out with a single punch.

The guards eventually reached the roof and found the two thieves tied up and unconscious. Far above them the shadowed figure observes the sky, waiting for the ‘Flight’ mentioned, most likely the getaway vehicle. An Earth-Pony helicopter comes close to the captured thieves and the guards, before quickly turning off. The figure raised a hoof, a long thread coming out of it and attaching to the copter and dragging the figure after it. The figure climbed up into the copter and knocked out the pilot, before landing the craft on a nearby roof. After tying up the pilot, the figure moved their wide-brimmed hat to reveal a unicorn horn, and fired off a controlled fire work into the sky. The figure vanished before the guards arrived, hiding in the shadows behind a roof’s gargoyles.

Two years ago I was humiliated before a public crowd and my reputation was ruined. A year later I risked my life for revenge and nearly destroyed myself in my arrogance. When I was freed from my darkness, I sought a way to redeem myself. My name is Trixie Lulamoon…

The light-blue eyes expanded on the figure’s purple mask widened as a light flashed from a nearby club. The dark-blue crystal engraved with an M briefly shined.

…And I am the Mysterious Mare-do-Well!

At an apartment in Colto, on the twenty-sixth floor penthouse, a purple and shadowed figure lands on the balcony. Entering the flat, the figure turned a statue of Princess Twilight until it faced the west, revealing a secret room with a mannequin and wheel-computers. The mare removed her costume revealing her blue coat. She rolled her shoulders to release some tension when she was surprised by a knock on her door. “Trixie! You in there?”

“Hold on a minute!” Trixie quickly left the lab and turned the statuette back into place, closing the lab door. She went to the entrance to her flat, a mare with a fluffy pink mane and light-blue coat waiting. “Hey, Crayon! How’s the book writing going?”

“Are you flirting with me?”

Trixie blinked and noticed that she was leaning on the wall of her foyer, sweating and one forelimb resting above her head. “Ahhh. No no no no! I was just, uh, working out! You know really stretching my muscles!”

Crayon raised an eyebrow incredulously but brushed off Trixie’s awkwardness. “You didn’t forget we were supposed to have dawn-fest together, did you?”

“Dawn-fest?” Light began to shine into the flat from the balcony window, showing that the Royal Sisters had begun the ritual transfer of the heavens. “Breakfast at Dawn! Oh I’m sorry Crayon I did. I hope you can forgive me?”

“Of course I can, as long as you pay.” Crayon joked and left the flat, before popping her head back in, slightly glaring. “I’m serious about you paying.” She then left towards the elevator.

Trixie shook her head chuckling. Pretty Crayon. Artist and writer of the popular children’s book Fluffle Puff Pony. I met when after one of my shows hoping to use me for one of her books. We hit it off well, but she can be really scatterbrained. Trixie turned around as the sun came up. She can never know about what I do at night, it would put her into too much danger.

‘“Mysterious Shadow Mare involved in a daring robbery last night. Warrants for her arrest still in debate, but City Guard Commander Rigido is confident that they will be passed.”’ Crayon read off her newspaper. “I can’t they haven’t caught this mare yet. Vigilantes, hmmph!”

Trixie didn’t say anything, merely watching the people walk by the café they were eating at. Guard patrol every six minutes, with one minute thirty second variation. They just missed a pickpocket two feet away. Hmph, sloppy. Never would have survived in Detrot. Trixie blinked as she came out of her Scan, idly noticing Crayon asking her a question. “No I don’t know why they haven’t caught her Crayon, I’ve only helped the police once while in Manehatten* and that was full of incompetents. If Applejack, Rarity, and their family hadn’t been there, I would have been arrested for Grand Larceny. So forgive Trixie if she does not believe the Guards actually know what they are doing.”

“Eh, I guess. So onto less controversial things.” Crayon said setting aside the newspaper. “I saw a cute stallion in the front row of your last show, with roses! Maybe you have an admirer?”

Trixie blushed and looked away, towards a jewelry shop. Third time that mare has passed by that shop in five minutes. Casing it. Robbery likely tonight. Better add this street to patrol. “Trixie doesn’t know what you are talking about!” Trixie said.

“Oh, poo!” Crayon whined. She looked up at a nearby street clock. “I’m late, gotta go Trixie! See you at your next show!”

That mare. Out of the corner of her eye, Trixie saw the mare pace before the shop again, this time with a large stallion. Not tonight then. Trixie paid her tab and ducked into an alley. Her horn lit up with magic and teleported her suit to her, slipping it on in the flash before teleporting herself to the alley across the street by the jewelry store. She snuck in through the back and knocked out the suspects silently, before she tripped the fire alarm to bring the guards before vanishing into the shadows.

This city…sometimes I wonder why I stay. Mare-do-Well said looking at a newspaper that had floated onto her hoof that night, displaying the article commenting on her impending warrants. She looked down onto the street from the roof she crouched on, seeing a small park with a family playing. Right, that’s why. Sirens were heard nearby. Back to the grind. She mentally sighed before firing her grapple line and swinging into the night.

Comments ( 3 )

Hmm, nice :D

...Though wouldn't the people of Ponyville recongise this and the Mane Six investigate on who this new Mare do Well is? Heck, I think Mayor Mare could give the people of Manehattan that Mare do Well is a good heroine who wishes to help those in need and put a good word in for her. Heck, I think the Mane Six, wiht one being a PRINCESS, can easily show support for Mare do Well/Trixie...if she's genuine in her endevors that is :P

...though is Babs gonna end up being the Robin in this story?

Good start. Looks promising.

5518320 If Trixie was simply saving people from burning buildings, collapsing structures, or runaway carts than yes she would be a hero. That isn't all she is doing though, she is being a Batman. In comics warrants for Batman's arrest were never rescinded, even when he joined the Justice League, just were never enforced. The charges Mare-do-Well has are: Assault, Interfering with an Investigation, Theft (of evidence), Tampering with evidence, assault on a public official (fighting police/guards), Resisting Arrest, (fighting with police/guards), and public endangerment (smoke bombs and fireworks at close range are dangerous). These are charges any vigilante would be brought up on if they actually did Batman-style heroics, so I'm keeping with that tradition. Don't worry though, like Batman, they won't be enforced once she proves herself.

The monologue and sequence near the beginning where she summarizes why she is a hero, is supposed to sound like Arrow-verse into monologues. How did I do?

Login or register to comment