• Published 14th Dec 2014
  • 8,483 Views, 204 Comments

"YOU DID WHAT!?" - Dr Atlas

  • ...
31
 204
 8,483

TA DA!

YEEEAAAAWWWWH...aaaawn.”

Cadance rubbed her eyes and got out of bed, still tired from the lack of sleep she’s been getting. She looked out the window to see it was still night, and judging by the moon, it was probably midnight.

She sighed and got up on all fours, looking around in a daze until her eyes adjusted to the lack of light, she turned around to see that Shining still wasn't in bed with her. “Still out patrolling…” She yawned again and made her way to the bathroom. Still trying to figure out why she was still waking up in the middle of the night.

“First an invasion, now no sleep.” She rubbed her head and looked at the bathroom mirror, starting to see the bags in her eyes. “I swear, my body must be trying to adjust to a bed instead of a hard crystal floor.”

She closed her eyes again, still trying to understand why this was happening. She did feel a bit stressed out from the attack, but at least it was over, so why was she still like this, was she paranoid that it might happen again, or was the after party just too much for her to handle, she groaned and decided to go back to bed, knowing this was pointless, she opened her eyes again and looked at the mirror.

Her heart almost leapt to her throat once she saw what was behind her, it was a monster she could recognize in seconds, its blue eyes, black body, and sharp fangs almost made her scream. She turned around and flared up her horn ready to take out the...blue haired, white stallion by the door?

“Oh, hey Cadance. You okay?”

Cadance unflared her horn and put a hoof to her chest, seeing it was her husband and not a bloodthirsty changeling. “Sh...Shining! D-d-don’t sneak up on me like that!”

Shining put his hooves up in defence. “Sorry Cadance, I was just wondering why you were in here and not in bed.”

Cadance finally caught her breath and put her hoof back down. “N-no, it’s not your fault...I’m just...I haven’t been getting any sleep, Shining..”

Shining frowned. “How come?”

Cadance groaned. “Because of the attack and probably from staying in a cave.”

Shining scuffed the ground. “I’m sure the cave wasn’t that bad.”

Cadance glared at him. “Oh, it was bad; sleeping in there on hard floor, and the worst part was how those...changelings were able to get me there.”

Shining raised an eye. “Well, ponynapping a princess is probably easy.”

Cadance raised an eye back. “Does the same go for mind controlling a prince?”

Shining laughed. “Yeah, probably.”

Cadance glanced over at the mirror again. “I just hope they don’t try this again, attacking a whole town is one thing, but holding a princess hostage, that’s just...just…” She looked down, not wanting to say it.

“Simple?”

“‘Simple?’” Cadance wasn’t sure she heard that right. “Shining, just because most stories involve princesses getting captured doesn’t mean that...hu?” Cadance looked back up at the mirror to see that she was alone again. “Shining?” She then turned around, seeing that he wasn’t by the door anymore.

“Um...Shining, where’d you go?” Cadance stepped out of the bathroom, still seeing no Shining in sight.

“I dunno, maybe he’s still out guarding. That’s why it was pretty easy to take his place.”

Cadance froze, that voice didn’t sound like Shining at all. “W-who’s ther-”

*SMACK*

Cadance fell to the floor with a thud, her whole head in pain. “Did I get it?” The same voice called out. Cadance tried getting back up, but something held her down, it wasn’t until she looked back up that she saw just what it was.

“No? Okay then, here we go. ONE MORE TIME!” Out of the corner of her eye, Cadance saw something come straight toward her face; she closed her eyes and prepared for even more pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Let’s get ready to PAAARTAAAY!”

Every changeling in the cave cheered once the music started blaring through the speakers, causing the entire ground to shake. Almost every changeling danced to the sound of the beat while all the others who weren’t dancing sat in the back, chatting amongst themselves. One group in particular were chatting more than others. All of them sitting around a table that, along with the speakers, sound equipment, and many other objects, were stolen over the past years.

They were all calmly conversing until one changeling hit his head on the table and sighed. “What’s the matter, Shawn?” One changeling asked, nudging him. “Can’t ya just enjoy the party? It’s pretty-”

“Wrong.” Shawn grumbled.

“Wrong?” A changeling across from him questioned. “What do you mean ‘wrong?’ This is great!”

“But it’s not right.” Shawn looked over the table; about five other changelings were sitting with him; Phil, Stan, Carson, Mark, and Addison; all of whom decided to join him.

“I don’t see what’s wrong about it.” Phil looked over at the still raving changelings. “Seems pretty good to me.”

“Don’t you see it?” Shaw stood up and slammed both his hooves on the table. “This is just to distract us from what’s really going on.”

Carson snickered. “Oooohh~ somehow throwing a party is a bad thing.” He mocked.

Addison nodded. “Yeah Shawn, I don’t see a problem with this; seems like everyling-”

“Will die…” Shawn sat down and looked at everyone at the table. All of them very concerned with that statement. “Guys, how long has it been since the attack.”

Stan patted his hooves to simulate counting. “Bout a couple days...probably...three.”

“And how long can changelings last without food?”

Phil rolled his eyes. “So you’re sayin’ that you’re mad just because of a small food shortage?”

“I’m not mad.” Shawn looked away and sighed. “I’m just worried about what will happen, and this isn’t a small food shortage either.”

Mark shrugged. “So, it’s not like we can’t get more.”

Shawn glared at all of them. “Let me ask you guys something else, how much love were we getting before the attack?”

Addison thought about it. “Not much actually.”

Phil stood up. “But we made do. We’ve survived for a long time, Shawn, and I’m sure we’ll continue doing it.”

Shawn glared at him. “But we were doing horrible; it took like...ten changelings to get one ration of love for the hive.”

Phil sat back down. “So, we’ll just send out more.”

Shawn looked up at the other brothers and sisters. “Who’s gonna make them?”

“What do you mean?” Stan asked. “We’ll just tell them to-”

Shawn interrupted him. “We don’t have a leader right now. So I doubt one of us asking a changeling to work will make them do it.”

Carson shook his head. “Too soon bro. Too soon.”

The others nodded, making Shawn about to rip his ear stems off. “What do you mean ‘too soon’ I’m pointing out that-”

“Our queen can’t walk anymore.” Mark said.

“Or talk.” Addison added.

“Or hear.” Carson looked at the party. “Which is why we’re doin’ this right now.”

“Oh!” Shawn yelled. “So you’re saying this is to celebrate what happened to our queen!”

Others looked at Carson, who held up his hooves in defense. “Hey, I didn’t say that! This party is to lighten up the mood; like Stan said, it’s been about 3 days since the attack, and those days were spent on finding other changelings, walking back home, carrying Chrysie along for the road, and sulking all the way through.”

Shawn groaned. “But we shouldn’t be celebrating. We didn’t even find everyling!”

Carson stretched. “There were enough to have a rave.”

Shawn was ready to leap across the table and start a fight, but he remained calm. “For all we know, there’s changelings out there that are lost, starving, and on the verge of-”

“Finding their way back home.” Phil finished. “Shawn, if we can find our way, so can they, so stop worrying about the future and live for the moment, alright?”

“The queen would say different.” Shawn said. “She would plan ahead.”

“Or maybe she would plan another attack.” Carson shrugged. “One that doesn’t involve running in and making a mess.”

“What were we supposed to do?” Stan asked. “Just walk in and expect they’ll treat us with respect. I hardly doubt that white tyrant would even let us live anyway.”

Carson nodded. “Yeah, ponies look at us like monsters, Shawn. So I don’t think they’ll love us.”

Shawn looked up. “Maybe if we didn’t act like monsters…”

“Hey!” Carson yelled. “What makes us act like-”

Shawn took a deep breath. “We ponynapped the princess, had the queen mind control the prince, smashed a shield, fought tons of ponies, and growled and hissed the entire time!”

Mark raised his hoof. “But the queen told us not to say anything.”

Addison nodded. “Yeah, she said it would make us look more like them.”

“How is that a bad thing?” Shawn rubbed his head. He was starting to get a headache from this. “I don’t even know how we managed to ponynap her.”

The others had to agree, capturing an alicorn is pretty tricky, they were just lucky enough to catch her off guard. Carson shrugged. “Hey, Princesses are pretty easy to capture. I don’t wanna be discriminate or anything, but…” He started trailing off.

Stan nodded. “Well, we were pretty lucky to pull it off. Even if it was pretty stupid for the queen to even think a small group of changelings could-”

Phil put an arm on the table. “Hey! are you gonna question the queen? Besides, she hit her head hard enough, I’m sure she’ll come up with something else when she wakes up.” He chuckled at his own joke. No one else did.

Shawn was about to say something, but Addison stood up first. “Wait, she’s still alive?”

All the changelings at the table raised an eye at him. “Uh...duh,” Mark said. “of course she’s still alive; she’s just in a coma.”

“She is? For how long?” Addison asked.

Phil looked down. “Who knows, the caretakers said it’s gonna be a while.” He looked back up. “She’s not like us, Addison, she can’t hit the ground from high in the sky and get back up, her body is too big, unlike our small design.” Phil held a hoof to his chest and smiled.

Addison scuffed his hoof. “I hope she’ll be okay…”

Phil patted his back. “Ey! Cheer up. I’m sure she will, as will all of us. We have already mourned enough for the failed attack and for our lost brothers and sisters, and the last thing we should do at a party is remember what happened, alright?” Phil looked over at his brothers, all of them tried to agree, but they could only look away, not even wanting to make eye contact. Phil rolled his eyes. “Fine, just sit here and remember the past, as for me...” He sat up and made his way to the dancefloor. “I’m gonna dance my mind off of things.”

Carson shrugged. “I guess that’s better than staying here.” He stood up. “You guys wanna join?”

Addison, Stan, and Mark shrugged as well. “Phil’s probably right.” Stan said. “It’s better to take our minds off of what happened.”

The changelings started walking away, but Addison turned around to see that Shawn was still sitting. “Shawn, aren’t you commin’?”

Shawn wasn’t listening, he was staring off, no longer caring what was happening, all he knew was that by the end of this month, he, his brothers, and sisters would start to starve, and before anyling knew it, they would turn on each other, just for food.

“Hey!” Addison yelled. “Shawn! Are you gonna dance or-”

“No” Shawn grumbled. “I’m not.”

Addison sighed. “Alright, suit yourself.” He looked back at Shawn one more time and said. “But the more you sit there, the worse it’ll get.”

Once he left, Shawn rested his head on the table. Still flustered from what was happening. “This is just great.” He said to himself. “We have no ruler, no love, and no plan on what to do. We’re all dead bugs...” He looked over at the still dancing changelings, all of them either break dancing or slow dancing or bag dancing or prancing or-

“Bag?” Shawn rose up and saw that there was indeed a changeling with a bag sitting right next to the entrance to this part of the hive, but this changeling looked very...strange. “No way…” Shawn started making his way around the dance floor and to the entrance, wanting to make sure his blue eyes weren’t deceiving him.

Once he was close enough, the changeling looked away from his bag and at him. His big blue eyes, big head, big body, big...everything made Shawn prove his thoughts on just who this bug is. “Uh? OH! Hi Shawn, fancy meeting you here.”

Shawn’s ear stems twitched once he heard the changeling talk. His voice sounded just like him too. “T-Twig?” He said. “I-Is that you?”

The big changeling picked one of his ears. “I think it is, last time I checked my name was Twig...or at least, that’s what my brothers called me. So...yeah, I think it is me.”

Shawn blinked twice. “B-but how did...you were...are…”

Twig wrapped his arm around the bag he had next to him and laughed. “Yeah, I had a crazy few days I went from here to there to over there!” He pointed in random directions with his other arm, knocking Shawn in the face. “And all the while, I was having as much fun as I could.”

Shawn rubbed his snout and continued looking at Twig in dismay. “How are you here, Twig, I thought...well…”

“Well what?” Twig flopped his ears and tilted his big head. “Did you guys think I abandoned you?”

“No, Twig. We thought that-” Shawn then felt his whole body lose all of its oxygen once Twig hugged him.

“Because a brother like me would never do something like that to you guys! I am always loyal, always fearless, always...why are you turning blue, Shawn?” After a few seconds of silence, Twig shrugged and let go of him, making him fall to the floor and gasp for air. “Uh...Shawn, you okay?”

Once Shawn sucked in enough air to talk, he stood up and said, “Okay...one: don’t do that, and two: W-where have you been? When we were doing roll call; you weren’t there.”

Twig held his head high. “That’s because I didn’t fly as far as you guys. I didn’t even make it out of Canterlot.”

“R-really?” Shawn knew Twig was heavy, but he didn’t know he was heavy enough stay grounded after a magical blast. “How? Even Chrysalis-”

“I was inside, silly.” Twig patted Shawn’s head, making him cringe with every pat. “When the wave came in; it hit me so hard that I went through three walls until I landed in an alley way. It was pretty fun.”

Shawn wasn't surprised to hear that, pain was always fun for Twig, not causing it, just experiencing it. “So, you didn’t fly off because you were inside?” That question made Shawn think that Twig wasn’t the only one who was inside buildings when the blast came.

Twig nodded and hugged his bag again. “Yup, and I even got something from Canterlot to help you guys.”

“Help? You mean you brought us food? Love? Is that what’s in the bag” He looked at the bag. It was pretty big, almost as big as Twig.

Twig smiled. “Yup, this bag is to help with the big plan.”

“Well, Twig, we are going to be very thankful that you...plan?” Shawn stepped back. “What do you mean? We don’t have a-”

Twig hoisted the bag on his back. “Don’t worry, Shawn. I made sure to go step by step this time, I didn’t even get caught.”

Shawn raised an eye. “Um...okay, glad to know you were undetected when getting love.”

Twig nodded. “Yup, not a single guard caught me, all thanks to the technique Baron Nelson taught me, spinning around three times in a mirror without looking really helps.”

Shawn continued questioning all of this. “But B.N. isn’t that good of a teacher, heck, he’s so old that he doesn’t address everyone as “someling” He just says somebu-”

“Twig? Hey! Twig, that you!?”

Shawn and Twig turned to the crowd to see some changelings were starting to notice his presence. Twig smiled, happy to know the brothers and sisters still knew him. More changelings started seeing him, and before anyone knew it, the DJ’s stopped playing the music to see what the commotion was all about.

The fedora wearing changeling grabbed a headset and yelled out. “Well well well, if it ain’t-”

“The big bug himself!” The other one finished. “Twig, is that really you dude?”

Twig waved. “Yup! It’s me alright!”

Some changelings gasped while others wondered how a changeling like him made it here. “How the heck did you get here!” One called out. “You can’t even find the bathroom to this place.”

“That’s because I wasn’t looking for the bathroom.” Twig smiled and started walking through the crowd. “I was looking for you guys, going around the forest, trying to find out where our home was, and before I knew it, I came across a cave that kinda looked like this one, except it is this one, and once I went in, I met one of my brothers and said hi, then other brothers started noticing, then one of them wondered how I got here, and then I started walking through crowd, explaining how I-”

“Okay, Okay!” The changeling who asked said. “We get it, you found us.”

Shawn came up behind Twig and said, “But what’s even better is that he found food for us!”

“Food!?” A small uproar started happening, making the DJ’s tap their mics to calm everyone down.

“Hey, Twig,” One DJ yelled. “I think I speak for all of us when I say-”

“You should share whatever’s in the bag with us-” The other said.

“If you know what we mean.”

The changelings started crowding around Twig, forcing Shawn to step back, not wanting to get pounced on by hungry bugs. Twig seemed oblivious to how hungry everyone was and smiled. “Okie dokie, I guess it is better to do it now, we can plan later.”

The changelings ignored that and walked closer and closer to Twig as he set the bag down, some were thinking about knocking him down and taking it, but with how strong Twig was, they knew that was suicide, so they waited until he untied the strings and prepared to open.

“Is everyling ready?” Twig asked. Every changeling nodded furiously, their mouths drooling and their tongues hanging out like dogs. Twig smiled, closed his eyes, and said. “Okay! Here we go!”

With one pull, Twig yanked the bag off and showed the contents of it, which made everyone in the room gasp and step back, some knocked tables over and hid behind them, others hid behind others, a couple fainted on the spot, and even the DJ’s took cover behind the sound systems. As for Twig, he only threw the bag off to the side, opened his eyes, and smiled. “TA DA!” Twig pointed both his hooves at what was now on the floor. It was a tied up, unconscious, tall, pink, powerful, pretty...princess.

Everyone was silent; no one dared to say a word in fear that it would wake her up. It wasn’t until Shawn got the guts to step up and say. “T-T-Twig...i-i-i-is t-t-that...t-the...the.”

“Princess?” Twig smiled and wrapped an arm around the still sleeping princess. “Yup, all tied up and ready to go. So, what do you guys think, should we hang it in the queen’s room to surprise her, or should we play twenty questions?”