• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 1,358 Views, 16 Comments

Of Moonlight and Sunlight - Princess Twilicorndog



I am the Creator of this land, of Equestria, of Earth. This is my story.

  • ...
4
 16
 1,358

Dear Stars,

Dear Stars, my Faithful Diary in the Sky,

I feel that my first entry in this diary should be about my past, seeing as I had to wipe you clean when Discord returned, as I was afraid that he would discover the secrets that you held.

First off, how I created Earth. I sighed. How to put it? It had been so long since I had thought about it, and working nonstop in the background to keep Equestria, and Earth, running smoothly was more tiring than I remembered.

Rubbing my chin with my hoof, I decided to start with forming the planet from the mass of rock I had found floating in space. My horn flashing with a quick spell to start the thought-writing again, I resumed where I had left off.

I had been floating in space for some time now, wandering among the stars. It was a carefree existence, one I long for now. I had stumbled upon a mass of bleak, pitiful rock. It was barren, with no sign of life.

It was Earth.

I took pity on this barren planet, and created the most basic of things: water and air. Naturally, bacteria formed to feed on these things. I watched over this process, and was amazed when a species I named humans emerged.

They were spectacular! But, alas, their peace-loving nature soon faded. This was quickened as their technology advanced. As their belief and practice of magic waned, so did peace and harmony. There were wars, too many, too soon.

This warfare reached its peak, and I, who had never shown myself, was forced to annihilate these humans, my proudest creation. In their place, I created ponies like myself. Only one other did I make like me, with a horn and wings, and I established her as the ruler, myself coming along much later.

I molded these ponies so they would never turn out like humans, giving some magic, some the power of flight. I steered the entire race in the right direction. I gave them only enough enemies so they wouldn't become defenseless in the very unlikely case in which an enemy I could not combat alone formed.

I let my "sister", who I regarded as my daughter, believe she was more powerful, even letting her take control of one of the celestial bodies, the sun. I kept the moon, only because it would make more sense to the ponies, as they believed Celestia to be the more powerful. To them, the sun was an embodiment of power.

I leaned back from my window. Many years had gone by dully and peacefully, so I decided to skip to the "Nightmare Moon" incident.

Many years had gone by peacefully, too peacefully. I decided to transform into a "wicked" mare of darkness. The one that Celestia had called Nightmare Moon, the thing she had believed to have consumed her dear little sister-

My thoughts were interrupted by the voice of Celestia calling my name from the hall. "Lunaaaa! Come on out from your dark room, it's time for dinner!" I sighed. I would have to continue after our meal. "Coming, Celly!" I called.

Glancing around one last time to my dark purple-and-blue, night-themed room, I rose from my seat and strode to the door. I opened it with a burst of dark-blue magic and walked down the hall, where I saw Celestia at the far end, opening the dining room doors.

"Wait up, Celly!" I almost winced. It felt... strange to speak like all the fillies of this century. I was used to speaking properly, but oh well, it was what was expected today.

Celestia grinned as she waited me to get to her end of the hall. "After you, little sister." I nodded and went inside.

I really wished that I wasn't expected to eat. Unlike Celestia, I didn't need to eat to stay healthy. I don't feel hungry, either. I ate half of the food that Daisy Glow, one of the kitchen servants, had put on my plate. I stood up from my dark blue chair with the moon on it.

"Celly, may I please be excused?" I asked politely. I was itching to get back to my diary, as I hadn't closed it properly. There were complex spells for opening and closing my star-diary, ones only I know and can preform. I hadn't closed it to save me the trouble, but right now any powerful enough unicorn could open it and read it.

Celestia frowned. "But Luna, you've only eaten half of your food! What's gotten into you lately?" It was true that I hadn't been eating full meals recently, but only because I had grown tired of the same thing every single day. I'd rather not eat at all than eat the same exact thing all the time.

I half-smiled. "I guess I just don't like the same thing everyday." But apparently that wasn't the right answer.

"Well, you can't stay cooped up in your room all the time! I know you've been skipping your night court for the last few nights. Even if nopony comes, you still must host it. You will host it tonight, and that isn't a request."

I sighed, again. To keep up my charade of being the less-powerful, I would have to obey Celestia. "If I must." My horn started glowing, and in the blink of an eye I had teleported into the throne room. I whispered to a nearby guard, who was unfazed by my sudden appearance, that the night court was started for the night. The guard nodded and trotted off to notify the other guards.

I looked around, examining the throne room. It was painted in a lavender, with a red carpet running down from the chair I was seated in. The chair itself was gold with ornate designs, and it had red cushions. There were two blue tapestries next to me, and twin gold fountains with pink plants below me. Along the hallway were many stained glass pictures, one to the left of me depicting Earth, the sun, and a few other planets. There were also pillars along the hallway, painted a lighter lavender than the walls. Craning my neck, I saw a pink stained glass picture above me.

I settled into my throne and waited for ponies who probably would never come. After all, why come at night if you could wait until day to tell your problems to the pony you've known all your life? Maybe I have inconvenienced myself more than I thought, what with the Nightmare Moon incident.

Comments ( 16 )

This is my second fic ever! I hope it's much better than the first. Constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated!

The only good part that kept me wanting to finish qthis off was that Luna annihilated the humanss. Great part by the way. But everything else has a decent set so I will wait till the next chapter.

Excellent work of face. I approve. :rainbowkiss:

The only part that made me not want to track this story was the human annihilation, there is way too much misanthropy in this community and eventually you start getting sick of seeing it all the time. I don't want to assume that this story falls in that group though, since it could be an important plot device later on in the story. Also I've never seen the idea of Luna being some kind of elder god before, I like the originality so I'll track and see how this unfolds.

487101
Frankly, I agree, but humans won't be appearing, even by just a mention, very often. There's only one HiE story I really like, and besides, I dont think I could write a HiE story if I tried :twilightblush:

487106
Well i didn't mean bringing in a HiE subplot or w/e. I was thinking more like she feels guilty or thinks back upon the moment she killed so many men, women and children once and contemplates over it. She gets angry or something and says to Celestia "I've wiped out civilizations before you were even born, so do not mess with me because I am fucking awesome like that!". Nothing really large or distracting from the main plot but at least ties in that large event mentioned in the introduction to the rest of the story. It wouldn't make sense to just mention the annihilation of a species in your introduction and never touching upon the subject again.

Besides the humans getting annihilated part, it's good. A nice start.

487244
Bleh, no one likes that part. Now I'm going to use it to screw with you all! :rainbowwild:
Not really distracting from the topic, though.

487260
" Now I'm going to use it to screw with you all!"

NO! You monster, I'll never let you take away my sanity!
...if I had any left :pinkiecrazy:

"Please sir, can I have some more?"

Apart from Luna wiping out humans, I liked it. I might track if Luna feels bad for us...

Wow, this is the exact opposite of a story I'm working on, so I'd reeeaaally love to see where you take it, this is going to be fantastic, I can feel it in my follicles!

so, who's gonna be the first to find out that she's not exactly who she says she is? I assume it'll either be Celestia or Twilight.

11 years later and this is still a one shot "PICK IT UP PLEASE, I'VE LOVED STORIES LIKE THESE BUT I NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO READ A FULLL DAMMM ONE!!!!!!!!"AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

Login or register to comment