• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 1,654 Views, 132 Comments

Adventures Across Space - zalla661



Trixie B. Lulamoon is now the proud Commanding Officer of a shiny new NX-20 starship. As she and her crew set off to adventure they'll learn that the universe is far more cruel and unforgiving than they imagined it could be.

  • ...
7
 132
 1,654

Assault on the Array

Author's Note:

Hello my loyal and dedicated followers alike!

Today marks a new day and a new chapter of losing the game-I mean a new chapter in my story! Many of you have long awaited me to start this one back up and to be honest, I have too. My other story Trixie Secretary Extraordinaire! took priority for a long time now.

Now, I'm not gonna lie, I had a lot of trouble with this chapter so let me make one thing claer before we continue:

"Contrary to popular belief, the part of the world he was from , Equestria, was very sexist towards males."

Now, many of you might not like this and I get that. But for me recent events in my life have made it to where I decided that this will be a major issue for a longtime to come in this story. So, if it don't suit your fancy please don't read such sections. I will promise that such things will be explained in story, as I have a tendency to do with everything I write now a days.

So, with that said enjoy everyone!

P.S. Yes that was a quote from the story.

Mars Verteron Array

After the transmission Praxton sighed as the screen went blank. He turned to face another man at his back named Greaves. He was dark skinned and tall, standing at least six foot 4 and had a strong athletic build. His bald head was layered with sweat from the high temperature of the room.

Greaves stood at his station monitoring various things on his monitor, but one thing intrigued him.

"Sir."

Praxton turned facing him. "What is it, Greaves?"

The man tapped his console a few times making an image of the moon crater they'd shot appear. Praxton stared at it like it wasn't very impressive.

"What am I suppose to see, Greaves?"

He crossed his arms, eyeing the man patiently.

"There's a large vessel near the moon sir." He made the view screen zoom in on a small spec on the moon, revealing a long odd shaped vessel just outside the moons gravitational pull. "An unknown vessel sir. Nothing like it on record."

The suited man watched the monitor as the view screen zoomed in to show the ship near the moon. Praxton nodded as he watched the vessel.

"Why didn't we detect it before, Greaves?" he asked patiently. He was surprisingly patient for a radical in the minds of his followers but that was one of the best traits he had.

"Until we connected to the grid, we weren't able to detect the ship. Its signature was barely detectable and it has no warp signature." the man said looking at his monitor. "We actually nearly hit them with the array."

Praxton circled around his station and stood beside the man looking at his monitor. He pressed a few buttons and read a digital readout of the ship. It was knee deep in read. That ship was in bad condition and it was very obvious from the readings they were in a bad fight. Probably tried escaping and got hit by the array.

"Are you sure we didn't hit them, Greaves?" he asked looking at him. "If you did, tell me now and not later."

"I'm absolutely sure sir. But we sure came close." Greaves said checking the monitor playback. "See sir? It was close but I'm sure we didn't help better their condition."

Praxton was about to make a suggestion when the monitor went partially green. Greaves and a few others started getting more lively.

"What is it?" he asked.

"The ship's powering up, sir!" another man said from beside Greaves. "Their weapons are online!"

"Then let's show them what we can do. Fire a warning shot at them." Praxton ordered. "I don't want them destroyed only get them to leave.

Greaves nodded powering up the array, locking onto the small ship.


*Hydra Bridge*


Octavia was now in full panic mode. Never in her life had she seen a weapon of such power and magnitude. Her armored uniform clanked as she sat, shaking in fear of these humans. The power of their weapons was immense, and she feared that she'd make a mistake. That's why she ever accepted her own command.

THIS was her Achilles heel. Commanding a starship. She feared commanding such responsibility and it made her quake in her boots to think about it. Where was Trixie when she needed her?

Claw turned his beak towards his monitor as it began beeping rapidly. "Commander! The array is locking on us and charging!"

"Evasive action 3rd of 5!" she screamed at the changeling.

"Aye, commander!" he called to her taking immediate action to move the ship.

The Hydra's engines roared to life propelling it forward evading the initial blast from the array. The ship banked left avoiding the next blast from the array, but it was very close. The hydra was a very fast nimble ship. It's thruster and engine output was far more than necessary to the eyes of others, but it has so far proven invaluable.

Whereas the average ship had an output of .45 to .67 thruster output, the Hydra gave a whopping 1.22 output. Thus making it the most nimble and mobile vessel in the Equis fleet. While in the hands of a master pilot, like 3rd of 5, the ship became a sword of death to all who came across it. Or more in this case an annoyingly evasive fly.

The verteron array continued to fire and miss the Hydra as it ventured closer to the red planet it resided on, but the closer they got the closer the shots got. Once they reached a certain point 3rd of 5 stopped his approach and began to circle around the planet to avoid fire from the array. Unfortunately, the array was vast covering all angles of the planet. No place was safe.

"Commander, I can't get any closer without getting hit by that array." he buzzed his wings agitated.

Octavia sighed tapping her hoof on the console on the chair. "Bridge to Trixie."

No response. "Captain respond!"

The grey mare looked over at the security station. "Lt. Claw, find the captain!"

"She's down in engineering. Her vital signs are faint. She might be injured." he said reading the internal sensors.

BOOM! The entire ship shook as the verteron array hit the Hydra, clipping its side. The alarms blared as the ship rocked from the impact. The shields had absorbed most of the impact from the shot, but the power was vastly drained from it.

"Commander, shields are at 22%!" Claw screeched. "I have torpedoes armed ready t fire on command."

"Light that array up!" the grey mare ordered.

Several torpedoes flew from the launchers towards the verteron array but were subsequently shot by the beams of death. Claw tried a spread in several directions but that didn't work either. Then a second beam hit the Hydra causing the shields to collapse as the ship retreated from the verterons range.

"Commander we have no way of getting to that array! If we get hit again there's no guarantee the armor will hold!" ensign Scratch yelled over the alarm.

Octavia growled pulling at her mane, then slamming her arm down on the chair. She then looked deep in thought as she picked up her PDA and made a few quick calculations. She then walked behind 3rd of 5 and whispered into his ear. He nodded at whatever she had said to him and brought the ship hard about and hid behind a large asteroid.

Octavia then pulled up the internal comm. "All MARES assemble!"

***

Deep in the Hydra, a group of mares was armored up and ready to fight on a moments notice either to defend the ship or perform an assault. They were known as MARES (Mare Assault Recon & Espionage Squads) Commandos. The ponies were of varying age and type. Several were earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi, and even a few changelings.

One thing really stood out about them however, they were ALL mares, except for one new recruit. He was a small unicorn stallion. He was white with a short spiky red mane and tail and his cutie mark was a three-circle reticule signifying his sharp sight. His name was Scope. He was barely old enough to be called a stallion, only being, 17 years old, and was the newest member of the famous group called MARES.

Though he often found the term quite sexist himself, it was a group exclusive to females only before now. As they geared up he sat alone in a corner placing his body armor on, which consisted of a survival suit for zero-g and extreme weather conditions, an armored vest, arm guards, leg guards, and a visor helmet.

Everyone was allowed to color their own equipment but he stuck with the traditional black with white strips.

Several of the mares glared at him, seeing him as an intruder to their once pure group. He felt the intense glares as he huddled in the corner by himself. He was the first to fully gear up and was checking his disruptor rifle when a unicorn mare shoved him aside, knocking him to the ground.

"Move it beef stick!" she yelled kicking him in the crotch as she passed.

He gripped his sore gentiles as she grinned at his misery watching him squirm in pain. She and several others laughed at him as they finished gearing up. One mare watched and felt a ping of guilt not helping him, but she didn't laugh t his misfortune either.

"Man, what a loser." a unicorn mare said pointing at him as he slowly got up using his boxy rifle for support.

"Yeah, what's a stallion doing in our group anyway?" another earth pony mare said watching him adjust his scope.

"Maybe he had sex with one of the Majors as a favor to get in." another said, making the others look at him in disgust.

The poor guy was alone here and no one wanted him to be here. All his life he wanted to join MARES, but he couldn't make the cut. True it also had to do with him being male, in a female-dominated society, but that had changed while he was trying to get in. Now, MARES had an open door policy letting everyone from every gender in on it. It was no longer a mares only club. That did mean a lot of trouble for him though. Contrary to popular belief, the part of the world he was from, Equestria, was very sexist towards males.

He listened to all the false rumors about how he was allowed in when the ship shook and the alarm sounded. Everyone started moving with great speed as they finished gearing up. Moments later Major Spitfire, ex-Wonderbolt and ace flier, came trotting into the locker room in her signature MK-V battle armor. It was much like Scope's armor but it was thicker looking, but lighter materials. His armor was the old MK-III much heavier but fewer parts.

"Alright MARES! Let's get our butts geared up and ready to roll! Commander's go a mission for us!" the yellow mare called.

"Yes, ma'am!" They all said in unison.

"Alright ladies," she said marching up and down the row of ponies and changeling, Scope scoffed at the word mares, "We have a mission. An alien species has fired on our ship and we are to take over this array on a small outpost. Questions?"

"No ma'am." they all said.

"Good," Spitfire said with a grin. "Now, let's pair up and get to the fighters and transports!"

Scope sighed as all the others paired together and he was left alone. Spitfire took notice and approached the young stallion.

"No one to pair up with again, Scope?" she asked sympathetically.

"No Major." he sighed. "I'm still the 'beef stick' outcast."

"Guess you're out this op. as well then private," she said patting his shoulder. The clanking of his armor against hers rang in his ears. It was a sound he liked.

"Guess so-"

"MAJOR!" a unicorn mare in deep royal blue armor approached the two. She was a cream colored unicorn with a light brown curly mane and light blue eyes. "I'll pair up with him!" she said smacking his back, making him lurch forward.

Spitfire eyed her. "You sure corporal Pansy? You've never lead before and he's very green," she said pointing to him. "He's never been out of the simulator before."

"He can do it, captain." Pansy replied in an obnoxious tone.

"Grr. I'm not a captain anymore, and you know I hate that!" she barked at Pansy. She got a cheeky grin. "Unless you really are a pansy?"

"Don't worry Major, I'll keep an eye on him." she patted his shoulders from behind. "Come on hot stuff! Let's get going or we'll miss the transport!" she said cheerily as she ran off with her helmet in her magical aura.

Scope was adjusting his strap when Spitfire cut him off. "Don't do anything reckless private. You have nothing to prove to me or the others. Just stay with Pansy, she'll show you the ropes."

"Aye, ma'am. I'll be careful," he said.

Spitfire smiled smacking his helmet affectionately, making it fall over his vision, before swatting his rear making him blush. "Adjust that strap private, hustle HUSTLE!"

He quickly adjusted his strap and went into a full gallop to the hanger. Five minutes later he was running beside Pansy as she made way to her personal fighter. He tried to break off and head to the transport but he felt himself float towards the fighter instead.

He was levitated over it as the cockpit slid forward and he fell in the front seat with a loud clanking from his armor hitting the panels. She jumped into the back seat and pressed the activation switch bringing the fighter to life. Scope looked back at her concerned.

"I've never flown this class of fighter before ma'am."

"Don't call me ma'am. Makes me feel old!" she scolded him playfully.

"Ye-yes ma- Pansy!" he sat up at attention while sitting.

Pansy giggled to herself at his reaction. She then closed the cockpit and the fighter lifted just off the ground turning to face the main hangar doors. A minute later the bays opened up as the ship shook making crates fall. A series of green and red lights lit in sequence signaling the fighters to fly after their corresponding ones did, as to not crash into each other.

When Pansy's signaled they flew out of the bay with great speed and banked left just quick enough to avoid the verteron array from hitting them. Thirty fighters flew in formation heading towards the surface of a small red planet where a series of beams chased after the Hydra as it nimbly dodged every one of them and fired its disruptors back at the surface.

"You see that?!" Scope cheered watching the Hydra fire back. "That's what I call a sight!"

He gasped as he nearly hit the fighter next to him and jerked back into formation. A beep from the comm. interrupted his good mood when a familiar angry voice barked at him over this speaker. "

"Hey, beef stick, watch where you're flying!" it said condescendingly.

Pansy frowned turning off the comm. She reached over the seat to tap Scope on the shoulder. "Hey give me control, I'll let you practice later. You did well."

"Thanks," he said smiling, reversing controls to the back seat. Just then a shadow covered the console in front of Scope, as another ship came into view. "Pansy look! It's another ship!" He screamed pointing to the right as a large ship flew past the formation of fighters.

It was large but not as large as the Hydra. It had a massive saucer section with two large naccels sticking out from the sides and bore the name NX-01 as it flew overhead.

"Oh, that's not good," Pansy said focusing on the red planet. "Hope the commander's ready for a fight."


***


Hydra bridge

Octavia was now frantically giving orders to evade and find a way to take out the verteron array but they weren't close enough to actually target the array without missing or getting hit themselves.

"Lt. Pinkie!" she screamed over the interact comm. "Can you rig a torpedo to avoid the fire from the array so it can take out the main facility?"

"Sorry, commander I can't," a sad voice replied. "It'd take a few minutes to do if I had the parts, which I don't I'm afraid," she said apologetically.

Vinyl heard a beeping from the console in front of her as she yelled over to the active commander. "Commander! Ship inbound!"

"What!?! Reinforcements?" she growled smashing the console.

"Commander! We're being hailed by the vessel." Lyra said calmly.

"Put it through," Octavia ordered the view screen came to life. "This is Commander Octavia, active captain of the Warship Hydra. To whom am I speaking?"

A large man much like Praxton took the view, but this one was wearing a blue uniform. He was light skinned and had short brown hair and an aged looking face.

"This is Captain Archer of the USS Enterprise. We saw you were in trouble and came to offer help," he said pausing. "A radical faction of my people has taken over the array on Mars. We detected your ships flying inbound to the main platform. Perhaps we could work together."

"I'm listening," Octavia said leaning back in her chair.