• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 1,654 Views, 132 Comments

Adventures Across Space - zalla661



Trixie B. Lulamoon is now the proud Commanding Officer of a shiny new NX-20 starship. As she and her crew set off to adventure they'll learn that the universe is far more cruel and unforgiving than they imagined it could be.

  • ...
7
 132
 1,654

Meeting the Engineer and First Encoutners

Author's Note:

Hello my loyal followers and readers alike!

Sorry it took so long for the new chapter to come out. Life made it really hard and I was having a blast with my other two fics. I've been planning a new one for sometime, just s short one but I fear posting it may cause issues. That being said Iv'e since abandoned it until I hear back from the admins.

Other tan that, here we are with Captain Trixie and her ship the Hydra setting off to an rendezvous in a nearby system. What will happen? Read on and find out!

Enjoy!
Now in the Star Trek Ponies group! Here!

Captains log stardate November 10, 2154. We're underway to the Jansis 12 Colony. The crew is performing better than I ever imagined. We're due to arrive within the hour. In the meantime I've taken the liberty of getting better acquainted with my crew. I'm heading to engineering where I will meet my Chief Engineer and staff.

Trixie made her way to engineering. Along the way she greeted several of the crew members she encountered. Maintenance crew, galley personnel, the chef. She really liked the chef. He made her a beautiful salad that was almost to good looking to eat. It felt like a crime to do so. But hunger and the anticipation of the chef forced her to consume the Delicious meal. Unfortunately a mustard stain got on the sleeve of her uniform. It was dark grey with black boots and pads on the shoulders.

Afterwards she made her way to engineering without distraction. upon arriving, she discovered engineering was completely abandoned. A slight humming was emanating from the core. It was long. It ran across the floor suspended by several X shaped support beams. It was black in color and had red light pulsating along the frame from one end to the back end. The area was three decks worth. the center of engineering was the center deck then one above and one below. To Trixie, it was an oddly designed area, the Thrane love suspended areas hence the style. It was common knowledge that Equis engineers loved simple designs. While the Thrane, loved elegant complex designs.

As Trixie made her way down the main deck, she noticed a large rolled up banner near the front of the main engine. It was a bright pink in contrast to the darker grey and silver bulkheads and panels. She observed the banner. She tread closer to investigate the strange sight, when a loud shrilly voice broke the silence.

"SURPRISE!" it said, as a pink earth pony appeared seemingly from nowhere. The azure unicorn jumped in fright unholstering her personal disruptor firing it in a random direction. Trixie suddenly found herself surrounded by the entire engineering staff who also yelled 'surprise!' startling her. Then the banner unrolled revealing text saying 'Welcome New Captain!'

The pink pony was in a gold and black uniform uniform with a utility belt around her waist with several tools. She had her communicator badge on her right shoulder and a balloon insignia below it. While everyone else hid, some daring to peek from hiding, the pink pony bounced happily in place.

"Were you surprised!? Huh, huh, huh?" she repeated over and over again.

It was too much. Trixie holstered her weapon and glared at the pony. She then used her magic to take hold of the annoying pony stopping her mid hop.

"Lt. Commander Pinkie Pie I presume?" she asked the mare. The pink pony nodded in confirmation. "Well then Lt. Commander," she started, placing her back on the floor. "Care to explain why my engine room is a party zone?"

Pinkie inhaled deeply. "Well I was going to-"

"THAT WAS RHETORICAL! I want this place back in order by the time I get back or else!" The azure mare about faced heading to the lift. "We'll be arriving at Jansis 12 within the hour and I want this ship ready for anything!" The tapped her hoof on the ground for emphasis. "That means no parties. No horsing around. No nothing except engineering work! Understood!?" she yelled making everyone salute.

"Yes ma'am!" the entire staff said in unison.

Trixie saluted and walked out, the doors closing behind her.

Once she was gone everypony went back to work. Some took down the banner others simply went back to their stations. All of them were sad though. All except pinkie, who had a determined look on her face.

"I'll win her over yet." she grinned looking at the lift. "She'll love the after party I've planned." she smiled holding up a smiley face sign she pulled from seemingly out of nowhere.

***

Trixie made her way down the main shafts of the Hydra, inspecting the main power lines and other essential systems. She specialized in Starship mechanics and thus took it upon herself to assists the crew with routine maintenance when she could. Plus, it was a good distraction from the worries of life. Her family in particular. She never realized just how far she'd taken that loss. She pushed her friends away, her love away, and shut out the world for a long time wallowing in her sorrows. Her encounter with Commander Octavia caught her by complete surprise.

The mare always scolded her for being rash and never considering the consequences of her actions. She always blew her off thinking the mare was out of her mind. She was like that with everyone. Anyone who messed up was subject to her rants, and quite tiresome they were, and they were repetitious. She kind of missed it. She wouldn't admit to it openly, but she liked Octavia's commanding presence.

Lost in thought, she didn't realize a pink pony had made her way beside her in the shaft.

"Hi!" she squealed in a high pitched voice.

Trixie screamed dropping a plasma torch she was holding. Still on it grazed the mares uniform cutting right through her shoulder. Thankfully it soldered the wound at the same time but it hurt like you wouldn't believe.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" she screamed to the pink pony, grabbing the torch with her magic deactivating it. "That could have killed us!"

The pink pony cringed at the sound of Trixie's voice. Wether that was due to the echo of the shaft or fear of her no one was sure. Never the less she squeaked at her CO's outburst and began to apologize.

"I'm so sorry Captain! I just wanted to see if you were alright from earlier." she sniffed.

"Well don't!" she yelled at the pink pony as she crawled out of the shaft. Pinkie followed close behind. Once out the two mares went to main engineering and Pinkies called out. "Ensign, Fluffles!"

A pink unicorn stallion one deck up looked over the railing. "Yes, ma'am?"

"I'm escorting the Captain to the Medbay! You're in charge until I get back!"

"Ye-yes ma'am!" the pony saluted disappearing back over the rail.

"Come along Captain. We needed to get you to Medbay." Pinkie said walking Trixie out of Engineering.

"Fine."

On their way to Medbay neither pony spoke to the other. Trixie refused to peak to the annoying pink pony, and Pinkie was too worried about upsetting her to say anything. Once in Medbay Pinkie sat waiting for Trixie to recover. Thankfully it was a short wait. The wound was healed with minimal scaring thanks to the advancements in medical technology provided by the Thrane.

The doctor treating Trixie smiled at his work giving her the OK to return to duty. So long as she stayed away from plasma torches for a while.

As Trixie exited the bay, she found Pinkie staring at the wall looking sad. Her mane had a almost deflated look to it. I was sure it was poofier than that. she thought.

"Hey." Pinkie greeted her. "Look Captain, I'm really sorry about the plasma torch."

The blue mare waved her hoof dismissively. "Think nothing of it. Just don't do it again." she said sternly.

"Yes ma'am." the pink pony said.

"Come on let's get back to engineering." Trixie said walking past Pinkie.

Beep! "Bridge to Captain Trixie!" The voice was Commander Octavia's.

The blue mare stopped at the sound of one comm. unit signaling for her. She walked over to a small panel on the nearby wall. It had a small pad with a single button on the side. She pushed the button speaking loudly to it.

"This is Trixie. Go ahead bridge."

"Captain we need you on the bridge. The Jansis 12 Colony is under attack! We've increased speed to the max and should be there in two minutes!" the Commander said.

"Battle alert! All hands on deck! Senior Officers to the bridge!" Trixie didn't even think of her response it was instantaneous. "Lieutenant let's go!"

"Right!" the pink mare said following Trixie to the turbolift. Once on the bridge both ponies went to stations. Octavia sat in the command chair, relinquishing it to Trixie. Pinkie went to the side console by Lt. Claw. Octavia took her place beside Trixie.

"Report Commander."

"We received a distress call from the Jansis 12 Colony. An unknown ship has entered the system and is attacking them." Octavia replied. "We just arrived in the system."

"Esgin Scratch, bring weapons online." Trixie commanded.

The ivory unicorn nodded. A series of beeps a tweets came from her console. "Weapons armed Captain. Torpedoes aren't yet available."

Octavia scrunched her nose, glaring at Trixie. "Captain." She tapped the blue mares shoulder. "I advise against powering weapons. We don't know the state to the station and could provoke the invading ship more."

"That's just it Commander. They are attacking us. We will respond with force. I'll offer them a chance to surrender and leave peacefully. If they refuse," she tapped the pad on her chair. "I will blow them out of the stars." She turned to face Lyra at the Comm. Station. "Do we have visual?"

"Yes Captain." the mint mare responded. "Bringing it up now."

The main view screen came to life showing a large station orbiting a small planet. The station was cylindrical in shape standing tall with a series or rings around it's main structure. Several smaller sections shaped like ovals cover the ring in seemingly random intervals making it look like it had warts all around the surface. Sections were missing and there was no sign of the aggressors.

"I'm not picking up any ships Captain." Vinyl called out. "I can't locate the Haymaker either."

Her scanner read nothing except the station and the planet it orbited along with debris. She pressed a few buttons to scan when a beeping came from the console as a red light appeared near the station. "Captain reading ahead! A single vessel unknown classification! The have weapons charged!"

Everyone looked up to the screen as a small green vessel appeared from nowhere. It was a round saucer shape with short wings that bent upwards and a single fin along its dorsal section. At its tips of the wings were two large nacelles that were curved and pointed at both end. They glowed w bright neon green color, pulsating slightly.

The two ships faced each other down. Both were still.

Trixie all the while, stared at the view screen filled with anticipation. First contact with a hostile species was not something to take lightly. She knew it would be foolish to assume the alien craft was weaker than their ship. As the saying goes, expect the best, prepare for the worst.

"What does the scanner say?" she asked Vinyl not looking away.

The unicorn adjusted her visor and a few moments later she scanned the ship. "Judging by the readings I'd say it was a scout ship Captain. Minimal shield readings disruptors, and a large plasma launcher of some kind. We could easily take them with minimal damage. so long as we avoid the plasma launcher." she concluded adjusting her visor again.

Plasma weapons. Trixie cringed at the thought. One flaw the Thrane were renown for was the susceptibility heir shields had against plasma based weapons. True most races, according to them, shied away from such simple archaic weaponry. It was considered primitive to most of the known races to the Thrane. The few who did posses it were considered high level threats. Thrane shield technology was far more advanced than other races but it had its flaws. This is one of them. Trixie thought.

"What's it doing?" Octavia asked leaning forward to the screen, resting her chin on her hooves contemplatively.

"They're stationary Commander."

"Open a channel to the alien vessel." Trixie ordered.

"Channel is open Captain." Lyra replied from the Comm.

"This Trixie Lulamoon, Captain of the Hydra. You are invading sovereign territory of the Equis Untied Federation. Stand down and leave this system immediately or you will be fired upon." she warned.

A few moments passed. She then looked over to Octavia, who shrugged in response. She then looked over to Lyra, working on the Comm. "Nothing." she said. She took out her headset replacing it with a ear piece that came with a visor covering only her left eye.

Trixie was just about to order the ship to be moved in when 3rd of 5 called out suddenly. "Captain they're coming straight at us!"

"Evasive action!" Trixie ordered. Standing from her seat she leaned over 3rd of 5. "Get us away from them."

The changeling nodded, his hole covered hooves ran across his console making the ship turn to avoid a collision with the alien craft. However this put them at a disadvantage. It left their side wide open, which was the largest face on the ship.

"They're firing weapons!"

The ship suddenly jerked violently to the side as green bolts flew from the wings of the green vessel hitting the Hydra. The shields absorbed the majority of the damage but the impact still shook the ship greatly.

"Shields are holding." Vinyl said. "Return fire Captain?"

"Fire disruptors!" Trixie ordered sitting back down. "I want them out of the system by lunch."

The side of the hydra came to life as the weapon node glowed before firing red bolts similar to the green ships weapons. A intense volley of ten disruptors all focused on the ship flew across space hitting their target. The shields of the craft glowed yellow as they were absorbed by them forcing the ship to bank left away from the Hydra. Now both ships were heading in opposite directions at full speed.


At this moment both ships turned to face each other. Volleys of red and green flew from their corresponding ships and hit their targets. Both ships glowed as their shield absorbed the majority of the damage received from the volleys leaving neither ship truly affected at all.

"Weapons had minimal effect Captain!" Vinyl reported reading her monitor showing little damage was done to the aggressors shields. "Our weapons aren't dealing enough damage!"

"What's our status?" Octavia chimed in.

"We're in just as good condition as they are. Our shields are taking little damage." Vinyl responded.

"Increase output to disruptors. Helm, bring us about."Trixie grinned. "I love a challenge."