• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 1,654 Views, 132 Comments

Adventures Across Space - zalla661



Trixie B. Lulamoon is now the proud Commanding Officer of a shiny new NX-20 starship. As she and her crew set off to adventure they'll learn that the universe is far more cruel and unforgiving than they imagined it could be.

  • ...
7
 132
 1,654

The Battle Rages On

Author's Note:

Hey people a new chapter after all this time! Just like I promised.

I admit I dug my own grave with this one. I over complicated things and I don't plan on doing that again. Ever done that where you think it's better one way but turns out it's over the top complicated to do?

That's what I did this chapter. So, sorry to all my fans if I butchered this up. I'll keep it simple next time. So here we are amist battle! What will the outcome be? Find out as we journey along with Trixie and crew!

Love ya'll! or is it All ya'll? :twilightoops:

Enjoy! Rate! Comment! Love! Tolerate!

As the Hydra charged straight towards the enemy ship, red bolts of energy fired from the diruptor nodes of the hydra hitting the small green ship. The ship returned fire flying past the Hydra. Pass after pass the ships danced around doing minimal damage to the other. Neither was dealing enough damage to the others shields to penetrate them.

"Captain we aren't doing enough damage! We just keep passing the enemy ship!" Vinyl said.

"Then arm the torpedoes!" Trixie snapped at the unicorn.

"I can't they aren't calibrated to the ships systems!"

"Lieutenant Pinkie get to engineering at calibrate the torpedoes. we'll need them." Trixie ordered.

"Yes, Captain!" Pinkie saluted running off to engineering.


Trixie racked her brain to find a quick solution to end this battle. The enemy ship was still going strong, so was the Hydra. There was no telling how long this would last. Neither ship was better than the other. They were literally locked in a stalemate. Trixie refused to allow invaders to tarnish her reputation. She would win this fight somehow.

"Incoming plasma torpedo!"

The ship jerked to the side as a massive ball of green super heated plasma flew across the stars impacting the starboard side of the Hydra. The alarms sounded and the lights flickered. Ponies and changelings flew from their consoles either hitting the floor or for the lucky few hovered above where they stood.

Then an idea hit her.

"Ensign Scratch!"

The ivory unicorn looked up from her console.

"Do we still have access to the ion canon?"

"Yes ma'am. Engineering reported it's functional but not recommended to use." she pressed a few buttons reading a report from a hew hours ago. "It says here if used it could overload the ship's systems."

BANG! The ship jerked again this time the lights began to flicker as the ship rocked from the impact of another torpedo.

"Shields are taking heavy damage captain!" Vinyl screamed over the alarm.

At the same time, Lyra yelled over the comm. to someone over the mayhem. "Say again? Jansis 12 we're losing your signal! Boost your power!"

The comm. responded with a garble of white noise mixed with the occasional word the mint green unicorn could make out. She tried boosting their own signal but nothing seemed to work.

"Captain I can't get through to the Jansis colony! I think they can hear us though! I am getting something from them!" Lyra yelled.

Trixie had enough. The alarm was blaring and she couldn't hear herself think with all this noise and commotion on the bridge. Ponies ran from station to station screaming over the alarms. She inhaled deeply into her lungs before bellowing out, "Silence those damn alarms!"
In a moment the alarms ceased and ponies were able to hear each other finally. Why the designers made the alarms so loud was beyond Trixie's comprehension. In fact, a lot of things about the Hydra were either stupid or faulty in design.

From her seat beside Trixie, Commander Octavia was barking orders at 3rd of 5 while ordering Lt. Claw to check the security sensors on the ship for boarding parties.

Trixie pressed the internal comm. from her seat. "Ensign Pinkie! What's the status of the torpedoes?!"

"We still need to calibrate them captain! It'll take an hour to do them all!" Pinkies voice shrilled over the speaker.

"Damn! Why wasn't it done sooner?!"

"It wasn't put on priority captain." Pinkie replied.

Trixie was absolutely livid by this point. How had the ship been so ill prepared for battle? No weapons in unknown territory and if they were attacked? How was this over looked?

"Captain! Problem!" Vinyl yelled.

"Ugh, what now?!" thee blue mare screamed losing her composure.

"Engineering reports a problem with the reactor! Shields are failing and we're losing main power!"

Octavia say that Trixie was dumbstruck and as second in command took the reigns. "Switch to the secondary batteries and restore main power!" she said to the ivory unicorn. "Take weapons offline and give all power to shields and the engines! Get us out of here!"

Vinyl was about to follow the order when Trixie stomped the ground pulling her disruptor and shot a bolt next to her head, missing it by centimeters. All eyes were on her now, Vinyl shaking her hoof just above the console daring not to move for fear of being shot instead.

"Don't you dare retreat ensign! We stand and fight to the end!" Trixie stomped towards the screen defiantly.

The alien ship turned and began another run along the ships stern shooting as it passed by shaking the Hydra. The green bolts still being absorbed by what remained of the shields. Octavia jumped from her seat going over to the cowering Vinyl holding her close.

"Trixie! That was out of line!" she barked at her commanding officer.

"That's Captain, Commander!" Trixie sniped.

DEET! DEET! Lt. Claw shoved the two ponies aside reading the console. "Torpedo!"

"3rd of 5 evasive action!" Trixie holstered her weapon looking over to Claw. "Lt. Claw? Is the ion canon ready?"

The Hydra dodge right the torpedo tried to seek it but missed by a huge margin. The Hydra leading in a game of chase the alien ship close behind. It fired green bolts half of which hit while the other half missed. The ships flew across the stars circling around the station and dodging between the debris.

Claw meanwhile, looked over the console and chagrined the canon. Looking up he nodded to Trixie. "Yes, Captain, but it will most likely take out half the ships systems but I think I can get them in one shot. It's slim but-" Bang! The ship shook and another torpedo hit the Hydra. The console had a red screen pop up with a power indicator showing power output at 12% "Shields are at 12% and falling!" Claw reported.

"That tanks it! 3rd of 5 bring the ship about! We make our stand here! Prepare to fire the canon Lt. Claw!" Trixie turned to sit in her seat. "I'll blow these bastards to whatever deep cesspool they crawled from. Give me the tactical display!" she ordered Claw.

The view port changed to show tactical data such as distance to relative objects, power to weapons, shields, even engine output.

"Yes ma'am!" Claw prepared the cannon to fire. All he had to do was wait for 3rd of 5 to turn to face the enemy and victory was assured. The canon had enough power from what he calculated, to take them out in one hit. And this wasn't crippling them, but utter annihilation. There was going to be no ship left as long as he hit the enemy ship.


But the ion cannon was designed for larger targets like stations of battleships, not small scout craft. Either way this was going to make or break the battle in ones favor one way or another. Either one ship is destroyed and the other is crippled and left to the mercy of the other. On the other hand both ships could end up as smoldering debris if things go badly. The Hydra's canon had a good 50/50 chance of destroying itself in the process but if they hit them it was over for the enemy ship.

The ships circled the station jockeying for a tactical position over the other. Neither gaining any stand against the other. After a minute of chasing the green ship turned to circle the station in the opposite direction, flying counter clockwise around the station as the Hydra continued clockwise round. Within seconds the two ships were facing each other down. Lt. Claw targeted the ship with the canon awaiting the order to fire.

Meanwhile Trixie eyed the tactical display on the screen. The enemy ship was only a few kilometers away closing fast.

She stood up walking over to the helm. "3rd of 5?" the changeling looked up. "Fly directly at them and don't you dare turn. Got it?"

The changeling was scared. He dared not defy her orders from fear but he did trust her. She was the captain for a reason. Like a queen her orders had to be followed or others could die. Something he learned the hard way. "Yes, captain." he droned on turning his attention back to the console.

Trixie smiled patting him on the back showing support. She sat back in her seat and watched the tactical display. The enemy ship fired several torpedoes which struck the Hydra dealing heavy damage. Several consoles were set ablaze the main support structures wailed under the pressure. The alarms started anew all over the ship.

"Claw stand by." Trixie said calmly. "3rd of 5, give me the count."

"16 kilometers."

"14."

"12"

"Trixie! This is suicide! Think of the crew!" Octavia screamed running over to 3rd of 5. "I'm ordering you to turn this ship around 3rd of 5!" she barked at him.

He didn't even budge. His focus was on the task given to him and by damn he was going to do it. He was a drone. It was what he was literally born to do, follow orders. So he would do just that. Octavia nostrils flared as she smacked the console. "I said turn you bug!"

"8 kilometers!" 3rd of 5 said ignoring the insult towards him.

Octavia tried to shove the changeling aside but Trixie jumped from her seat using her magic to hold her back. The ship took another torpedo making it shake violently. Trixie pushed the earth pony commander to the side making her face hit Claw's console with a dull thud. Vinyl ran over checking up on the commander, glaring at Trixie in the process.

"6 kilos captain!"

Trixie turned to face Claw. "Fire the ion canon!"

Without a word the griffin fired the canon. The nose of the Hydra glowed red for a few seconds before a massive surge of red energy fired from the nose to the enemy ship. The small craft banked casing the beam of death to strike its side, engulfing half the ship obliterating it to nonexistence. Now half a ship remained its engines driving it towards the station.

Unfortunately, the hydra suffered a ship wide system failure. Both ships drifted into each other bashing together .The Hydra and the other craft came to a halt as the engines of both ships ceased. The Hydra was in utter chaos. Everyone rushed about trying to restore power to the ship, thankfully gravity remained or it would have been a monumental task.

Trixie was flung from her seat into 3rd of 5, Claw grabbed Vinyl, who held onto Octavia. Lyra's head was bloodied from hitting the console after the ship came to a screeching halt, and two pony crew were impaled by one of the supports that gave way during the crash. Their intestines sprawled on the floor beside her,the mint unicorn's cheeks bulged as she turned losing her lunch from the gruesome sight.

Octavia recovered at the same time Trixie did. "What is our status?" The earth pony asked rubbing her head.

Claw was recovering reading the display. "Main power's offline, secondary generators are on and the ships engines are offline." he reported.

"Whats the condition of the enemy ship?" Trixie asked climbing back into her chair. Her head was red and her ears were ringing. She pressed a button on her chair speaking into the comm. receiver. "Medical team to the bridge." echoed throughout the ship.

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

"Captain! The enemy ship is going critical! They're suffering a massive overload!" Claw was panicking.

Trixie scoffed waving a hoof at him. "It's a reactor breach it can't hurt us."

"Its an 9000 SDM reading!" Claw yelled popping the display on the main viewer.

"9000! But only antimatter reactors have that kind of power! And they were banned! What crazy being are these things?!" Octavia clenched her head as her outburst caused it to throb. "Damn it Trixie! This is all your fault!"

'Excuse me?!" the blue mare screeched. "Commander you're out of line!"

"No, you are! You got two ponies killed! Nearly destroyed us! And you've doomed us with your reckless actions! We should have left and prepared for the fight rather than-"

"I didn't hear YOU suggest anything!" Trixie pointed an accusatory hoof at the grey mare. "I didn't hear you give any suggestions!"

Just then the enemy ship exploded creating a black rift in space. The Jansis colony slowly began crumpling into the dark swirl.

"BLACKHOLE!" Vinyl screamed.

Now everyone was in full panic mode. The alarms had sounded as the ship and station slowly drifted towards the black hole. Trixie upholstered her disruptor firing it at the ceiling. Everyone stopped and looking at her.

"That's enough! Vinyl are the transporters online?" the blue mare asked holstering her weapon, again.

"Yes, ma'am." she replied.

"Start transporting as many survivors to the medbay. COMMANDER! You'll assist the medbay. There'll be a lot of scared ponies there. Keep the peace." She placed a hoof on her shoulder. All their anger gone, the two made a silent pact to deal with the situation first then each other later. "3rd of 5 prepare to activate the H-drive."

Octavia stopped her ear twitched. This just smelled of a terrible plan. "Trixie." she said warningly. "What are you planning?"

We can't escape so we'll activate the H-drive heading towards the black hole and catapult our way out of here." Trixie stated factually.

"Are you INSANE?! NO don't answer that! Your're utterly mad! SUICIDAL! That's it!" Octavia stood at the command chair. "As second in command I deem you unfit for command and hereby relieve you as captain, Trixie!"

Vinyl was the first to speak. "I really don't think now's the time Commander! Our lives are on the line! We need to try something!"

"Captain the station is rupturing!" Lyra called over from her station.

As if on queue, all eyes turned to see the Jansis 12 colony fall into the swirling vortex and get crushed as it passed through. Trixie sighed turning to Octavia.

"Once we're out of here I'll happily relieve myself of command, but we're still in danger and I'll be damned if you are going to stop me from saving our lives!" She said to the commander. She walked up to her string eye to eye with her. "Do you have any, ANY other suggestions?" Octavia averted her gaze. She had no other ideas. Not for a black hole anyway.

It was true, there was no escaping a black hole. So what choice did she have at this point. If this plan didn't work they were dead anyway. Sighing in defeat, Octavia took her place in the Commander's seat beside the captain's chair. Trixie nodded to her, the alarms blaring in the background like white noise to them. She sat beside the Commander placing a hoof on hers smiling at the grey mare. Octavia smiled back.

"Very well, Captain." Octavia said, in a low voice.

Trixie turned to face the crew. Everyone left on the bridge looked to her with anticipation. "This is it everyone. we're activating the h-drive in a last ditch effort to escape certain doom." she looked over to Lyra, Vinyl, Claw, and the rest of the crewmen. "If we are lucky, we'll get to live another day. If not... well, we'll find out what eternity is like. It was an honor to serve with you all, even if it was short."

she sat down facing the view screen. Her hoof never let go of Octavia's. "3rd of 5, activate the H-drive and turn us towards the black hole!"

"Are you sure captain?" He turned asking his CO. Trixie nodded. "Very well. H-drive charged. Thankfully it wasn't damaged." he muttered the last part.

Everyone braced for the inevitable doom that lay before them as the ship turned towards the rift. Octavia's grip tightened. Trixie looked over to her and saw her shaking. She looked terrified. Like death was staring her in the eye and said her time was up. "Activate the H-drive." she said. After a series of beeps the ship shifted it nacelles and a loud humming sound echoed throughout the ship signaling all they were about to jump.

The logic was sound in Trixie's mind. The H-drive would make a wormhole and launch them past the black hole. It would most likely not work, but at this point there was nothing to lose. She cupped her hooves around Octavia's comfortingly. She then leaned into the grey mare placing her head on hers. She then whispered into her ear, "I would have said yes if you asked." Octavia blushed looking up to Trixie who bore a confident look.

"If we die I'll never speak to you again, Trixie." She said pulling on Trixie's arm. "Also, I want a hoof rub after this is over."

The blue mare grinned. "You got it, tubby tavi." she said making Octavia growl at her but smiled none the less.

"3rd of 5," she looked forward extended a hoof towards the screen right at the image of the black hole. "Activate the H-drive."

The changelings hooves ran across the console with a series ob beeps. He then hit a single button without pause and the Hydra hurled itself into the black hole vanishing in a light vortex as the black hole collapsed in on itself leaving no trace of the station, nor the two ships behind.