• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 1,654 Views, 132 Comments

Adventures Across Space - zalla661



Trixie B. Lulamoon is now the proud Commanding Officer of a shiny new NX-20 starship. As she and her crew set off to adventure they'll learn that the universe is far more cruel and unforgiving than they imagined it could be.

  • ...
7
 132
 1,654

Breakdown and Recovery

Author's Note:

Greetings readers and fans alike!

Today I bring you an Update to Adventures Across Space! :pinkiegasp:

Last time on AAS: The Hydra had encountered an alien craft while on route to the Jansis 12 colony. The two engaged in battle severely damaging both ships. The enemy vessel was destroyed but not before rupturing space creating small black hole.

In an attempt to save everyones lives, Trixie ordered the activation of the ships Horizon Drive, propelling them into the unknown. Where will they end up? Will they survive? The answers now on Adventures Across Space!

Deep in space, no one can hear you scream, no one can hear you cry, no one can save you. That was the basic principles you needed to understand when in space. It was you against the universe. Trixie understood this, everyone on the Hydra knew this. However, the danger that just showed itself was so fast no one had really any idea what happened until it was too late.

Deep in uncharted territory, the Hydra came out of a vortex of light as the reeving of the engines came to a dead halt. The ship was scorched and the nacelles were badly damaged. The hull was bent awkwardly to the side and the paint was blackened all over. The crew was still in full panic mode as they scurried to restore power to the ship. Trixie and Octavia looked over the bridge crew. Aside from the two dead no one else was hurt during the escape.

Lyra hurled seeing the corpses, again. Vinyl sighed taking the mint mare to the side and helped her recuperate. Octavia was shaking badly as she held a vice-grip on Trixie refusing to let go. The blue mare didn't mind though. She liked it when Octavia got scared. It was a rare moment indeed, and it made her look cute in the blue mare's eyes. But now wasn't the time for that.

"Commander. Commander." the grey mare didn't respond. "Octy. I need to get up," she whispered into her ear.

Octavia eventually found herself letting the unicorn go. Not before she gave a swift right hook to her jaw sending Trixie flying out of her chair and to the floor. Trixie looked bewildered at her as Octavia angrily stomped toward the turbolift and smashed the already damaged pad sealing herself in. I think I went to far this time. Trixie thought looking at the lift.

"You should talk to her later captain. For now, I have the ship status report." Vinyl came up handing her a datapad.

Trixie took it with her magic and looked it over frowning. "That's a lot of red."

That was an understatement. Over 67% of the ship's systems were damaged or non-operational. As luck would have it the weapons seemed t be the only thing partially working. everything else was on the verge of breaking down. Engines and life support were a top priority along with internal communications.

"Ensign Scratch, get the internal comm. operational and get to work on restoring power so we can access the ship's systems. I'll be in engineering."

She threw the pad to the ivory unicorn and headed to the turbolift. It opened to reveal Octavia huddled crying to herself. She jumped like a cat at the sudden intrusion not expecting to see Trixie. She glared at her and turned her back to her wiping away a few tears.

"What are you doing?" Octavia snapped at her.

Trixie sat beside the angry mare placing a hoof gently on her back, rubbing it with soft circular motions. "You OK?"

"I'm fine." she snapped. "Why do you care?"

"You're my friend. And I'll always be there from now on," she said placing a comforting hoof on her friend's shoulder. "Now come on we got a ship to fix and crew to lead in this time of great turmoil." Trixie finished theatrically.

Octavia gave a hearty laugh with her as they stood up. Trixie tried to activate the turbolift but nothing happened. The two looked at each other with exasperated looks.

"Do we have to climb this damn thing?" Trixie whined.

"It seems so." the grey mare said pulling out a utility panel revealing an emergency lock leaver. While she did this Trixie worked on opening the hatch. Once set the two ponies crawled out of the lift to the main shaft with ladders at either side which were also the grid which the lift used to travel.

The two mares started climbing the shaft heading up to deck ten, three decks high. Octavia went after Trixie much to her annoyance. The blue mare was always lazy and never really put any effort into her physical training. Thus she was prone to weak lungs and weak muscles making even a short trip like this seem like a marathon.

After reaching their destination Trixie was sweating her uniform drenched and she literally crawled out of the shaft and sprawled on the floor panting. "Trixie... pant... hates exercise." she moaned in agony.

Octavia, completely fine, walked up looking down at the pathetic mare smiling smugly. "You shouldn't have neglected your training, CAPTAIN," she walked around her CO. "If you didn't you'd probably have a better sex life. I feel sorry for anyone who beds you. It must be so sad passing out after foreplay."

"At least I can get someone to bed me. OOF!" Octavia jabbed her in the side smiling. Had it been anyone else Trixie would have had them filed for assault and disorderly conduct. But Octavia was the only exception. She cared for the mare and when things were getting ugly for them she thought hard about her decision to activate the H-drive. Thankfully it worked.

The two walked through the darkened halls leading to the aft end of the Hydra to the engineering section. Along the way, they helped anyone who was hurt or needed assistance. It was bad. In the short distance, it was to engineering, relatively speaking, they found six ponies buried, thirteen dead, and two MARES commandos dead along with a section of the ship missing. This was because the emergency bulkheads were in place to prevent any further loss of air or personnel.

Trixie stood near the bulkhead running a hoof down it. Octavia stood beside her a look of worry on her face. "I wonder how many were beyond this point when it happened?"

The grey mare beside her pulled her close into a hug after making sure no one was around. Th two held onto one another in a warm embrace for a while. Eventually, Trixie separated from her and said, "Let's go we need to get the ship operational."

The two made their way to engineering with no further distractions. As they arrived partial power to the ship had been restored so they had light and environmental controls were fully functional. But engineering itself was chaos.

Pinkie was calling out to everyone telling them to do this and that. She herself had a massive utility belt and several tools when the two officer ponies entered. The pink engineer gasped running over. "Captain! Commander!" she yelled saluting.

"Ensign," Trixie said.

"It's Lt. Commander captain." the pink pony said.

"Not if you don't get this ship running you won't be," Trixie replied.

"Captain, surely it isn't necessary considering our condition to start demoting ponies is it?" Octavia reasoned.

Trixie snorted and continued down the hall of engineering ignoring her completely. "What's our status, Lt. Commander?"

The pink pony gasped rushing over to a central hub activating it to show a 3D view of the Hydra. Several sections were red covering the sides of the ship while everything else was a deep orange signaling them to be near critical condition. There was no green at all.

"Where do I start?" Pinkie sighed shaking her head. "Main power will be back within the next three hours. Engines thirty minutes after. Weapons seem to be fully functional, with the exception of the ion cannon. I won't even try fixing it."

"Why not?" the commander asked bringing up the ion canons display. A closer inspection revealed that over 80% was damaged beyond repair. "That's not good." She stated.

"That canon nearly destroyed the main power." she frowned at the display. "What DID destroy main power was that crazy horizon slip jump (HSJ) we made. What happened up there anyway?"

The two officer ponies spent the next several minutes explaining the battle and how the destruction of the enemy ship lead to the creation of an artificial black hole. Afterwards, Pinkie sighed as did the two officer ponies.

"So how long until he can get the H-drive up and running again?"

Pinkie did a few calculations in her head while staring at the monitor. After a minute Trixie began to get irritated, Octavia too, and just as they opened their mouths to speak Pinkie took action. "Six hours after power is restored. Not a minute more. It's either by the book or the next party this ship goes into will be very short."

Trixie smacked the console with her hoof growling. "So, a grand total of nine hours? Can't you possibly speed that up? Anyway without compromising the ship and crew any further?"

"Sorry captain. Nine hours minimum. No exceptions. I'm not a miracle worker." she said dejectedly. "I can get by maybe with eight but that's pushing it. If I did that I'd have to rewire half the ship to get power from the secondary batteries. It'll give us ten hours worth of power or one HSJ anywhere. That's it."

Octavia and Trixie pondered this long and hard. Eventually, the commander spoke up to Trixie. "I suggest we do it the safe way and wait the nine hours. We need to get back to dock ASAP." she said gravely. "We can't wing it like you did last time Trixie. Which, by the way, I want to talk to you about." she turned to walk away stopping at the door to one of the many rooms in engineering. "NOW," she said forcefully, looking back at Trixie.

There was a long period where Trixie and Octavia yelled at one another in the room. Only the slightest sound was made from their screaming voices. everyone in engineering could barely make out what was being said. Eventually, Trixie stormed off and Octavia remained behind grasping her head giving out a frustrated yell banging her head on the console.

Once changeling who was observing beside Pinkie leaned over to whisper in her ear. "This crew is seriously messed up Lt. Commander."

"Ye sit is. But that's what will make us great one day." The pink pony replied.

"What do you mean?" the changeling asked tilting his head.

"You'll see one day," she replied.

The hours past by at a snail's pace. After a lengthy stay at the armory, Trixie made her way back to engineering after some much needed 'venting.' She was now assisting with the repairs to the engines when a changeling came up to her.

"Captain?" he asked getting her attention.

Trixie looked over her shoulder eyeing him. "What is it, crewman?"

He used his magic to levitate a datapad to her. "Here are the figures you needed. The Lt. Commander says the main couplings need to be recalibrated and the main wires in junctions 3 and 4 need replacing. Do you require assistance, captain?" She took the pad scanning over it quickly. It was a simple procedure for somepony with a master degr in starship engineering mechanics. "No, that'll be all crewman," she said returning to her work.

"Aye, captain." he saluted flying back to his station in the upper deck of engineering.

Trixie meanwhile made her way to the main couplings in junctions 3 and 4 to repair them. She crawled into the main junctions, barely big enough to fit in herself. She inched her way along the small shaft eventually reaching her intended target. As was in the report the main wires were indeed damaged in sections 3 and 4. Trixie feeling in her element began the repairs.

It was strangely relaxing to her. She ran the plasma torch along the wires severing them from the main lines after deactivating them. The smell of smoldering metal reached her nostrils making her relax. Her conversation with Octavia long forgotten she pulled out spare relay wires and slowly and tediously began to reconnect them. An hour later she was finished and worked her way out of the shaft.

Halfway the main power was restored lighting the once darkened ship. The red emergency lights turned to regular light and she was thankful for the change. The red light hurt her eyes and being in it for hours gave her a headache. Suddenly the ship jolted and the alarms sounded. The shaft Trixie was in collapsed trapping her inside.

"Son of a- Thunk!" Trixie passed out as a large bulk of metal fell on her head knocking her out cold.

*Bridge*

Octavia was on the bridge pouting after her talk with Trixie about her unconventional methods. Needless to say, she was in a bad mood. She glared at the blank monitor as time passed. Power was still down and had been for the last few hours. She felt uneasy. Something was amiss. She looked over at Lt. Claw who was working on his console not paying her any mind. Lyra was working, Vinyl and one of the medical personnel was still here tending to the bodies of the two dead crewponies.

A few moments later a beep came from her PDA. Pulling it out Octavia unlocked it to find she had a message from the Chief Medical officer.

Message Received from: Dr. Kane

Commander,

I got everypony in medbay stable. Lt. Sunny Smiles is on her way up.

Return Message? Y/N

Y Processing... Reply Commander Octavia November 12, 2154

Great work doctor. Please have the medical staff on standby until further not-

Beep! Octavia stopped typing as a humming came from the ship as the lights went from red to regular light. Finally we can find out where we are! She thought. "Power has been restored Commander," Claw said as a series of beeps came from his console. "Captain I'm picking up a signal. A transmission."

The commander looked over placing the PDA on her armrest. Damnit! "On screen."

The blank void she'd stared at for the last few hours came to life as a strange yellow/pinkish hairless ape in a black suit began speaking.

"My name is John Fredrick Praxton. I've just taken over the Verteron Array on Mars. I can now fire on any vessel or ship entering the system."

The ships console beeped. Claw's head went back and forth in an odd saw-like motion. "A massive energy surge captain!"

The Hydra jolted as a massive beam of energy flew past barely missing them as it struck a small moon that was behind the Hydra. The alarms sounded as the ship shook violently. The lights flickered and the consoles faded in and out while the beam fired onto the surface of the moon. A massive dust cloud formed around the epicenter. After it cleared a massive crater was shown and the man named Praxton continued to speak.

"I have no intention of using this weapon again provided that every non-human in our system leaves immediately. A new era is at hand an era that will shape our future, the future... of the human race. And expose the concept of interspecies unity as an absolute and vicious lie! An era that will witness the advent of a human-centered consciousness that will place our world before all others."

Octavia and all the others were listening intently as the strange creature turned to nod at someone off-screen. A visual display of the Hydra and the moon crater was now visible. Thankfully the focus was the damage to the moon, and not the Hydra if they were lucky maybe this, human hadn't seen them.

Sweat rolled down Octavia's head. She was nervous. Scared even. this was Trixie's element, not hers. The man turned back with a neutral face and continued.

"As of this moment, mankind throws down the shackles of alien interference and now determines its own fate. Terra Prime, forever."