• Published 14th Nov 2015
  • 176 Views, 1 Comments

Beats In The Night - memecat101



Moon Beat is a blind earth pony, unable to see even the hooves in front of her. She was born with an exceptional sense of direction, so she is mostly fine. This is her story of life.

  • ...
 1
 176

Chapter One

Most ponies are baffled by the gift of music, the wonders that it can bring to us, even at our darkest hours. Though, some refuse to believe that music is something more than just a sound. But they are the one's who forget, what music really means...

~0~

A knock came from the door, signaling to the head mistress that someone was there. She yawned and walked towards the door, pulling it open quite quickly. She gasped as she saw a small bundle lying on the front step. Glancing around the area, she grabbed the bundle and pulled it into the building, closing the door behind her. She pulled the covers down a little, to reveal a small, giggling filly.

She was chestnut brown, with dark brown hair that spiked over her eyes. Her eyes, were a nice, rich, brown, though her pupils were a dark gray, not black. The mare gasped, looking down at the strange filly. She pulled all the blankets to the side, noticing a small piece of paper tied to the edge of the blanket.

The mare pulled the paper off, and began to read it.

Dear Head Mistress Of The Canterlot Orphanage,

This is our filly, Moon Beat. She is blind. We are a poor family, and can't take in another child, yet alone a blind one. We hope that you can give our little Moony a worthy home. We both hope you have the best of luck with her, and we thank you.

-The Parents




The mare pulled her open jaw up, trying not to show her shock to the young filly. "Don't worry, Moon Beat." the mare said, picking the filly up and rubbing their noses together. "We'll find you a good home."

~One Year Later~

"Moon Beat!" a young colt called out, drawing the young mare's attention in his direction. "Moon Beat, do you want to come and play with us?" he said, standing in front of the blind mare, though she couldn't see him. "W-who's there?" she asked, shaking slightly. "Moon, it's me!" the colt said, placing a hoof on her shoulder. "It's Duke!"

"Duke?"

"Yeah!"

"Who's Duke?"

The colt stopped, his body freezing. He snorted and pulled his hoof back, walking away from the confused mare. "Fine, see if I care!" he called out, causing Moon to look in his direction. "Who's Duke?" she asked herself, rubbing her hoof on her head, ruffling her own hair. She shrugged and stood up, shakily walking towards the head mistress' room, using her memory to guide her.

"Miss?" Moon asked, standing outside the Head Mistress' door. "What is it, Moon Beat?" she asked. "You said you had something for me this morning, Miss." the young mare called out, shuffling her front hooves on the ground. She heard a door opening in front of her, and a hoof on her shoulder.

"Come, come!" the Head Mistress said, leading the filly into her room. Moon sat on the cold, wooden floor, as the Head Mistress searched through her closet for the package. "Here it is!" she said, pulling a sort of big box out of the closet, setting it down on the floor in front of the blind filly.

"Here! I've saved a lot of money to buy you these." she said, moving the filly's hooves to open the box. Moon opened the box slowly, scared, like something would jump out and attack her. She paused as she reached in, moving her hoof around in the box. She stopped as she felt a hard object against her hoof.

She grabbed the object and pulled it out, she set it down in front of her, and ran her hooves over it. The object was two cylinders, kept together by a small piece of wood. Moon reached onto the top of the cylinders, and hit it with her hoof. It let out a small THUNK!.

Moon jumped a little bit, before hitting the object again, gaining another sound. She grinned, staring down at where she thought the object was. She grabbed it and picked it up, holding it up in the air, as if examining it with her blank, expressionless eyes.

"What is it?" she asked, her small voice ringing through out the room. The Head Mistress smiled. "It's called, a bongo drum." she replied, hitting the bongos again. "You can use them to make music." "Music?" Moon asked, setting the drums back down. "Yea, give it a go."

Moon hesitantly put her hoof onto the drums, shaking slightly. She moved her hooves in a beat, hitting the drums at certain intervals. The beats she made filled the room, making Moon smile as she heard her hooves being put to good use. The beats drew the attention to the few young ponies that walked the hall outside, causing them to crowd around the closed door.

Moon stopped drumming, and the ponies outside sighed, walking away back to their tasks. Moon smiled up at the Head Mistress, her dark gray pupils shining with excitement. "I get to keep it?" she asked, rubbing her hoof over the drums, top. "Yes! It's all yours!" the Head Mistress said, nodding rapidly. Moon smiled at her voice. "Thank you, Miss." she said, turning her head to where she last heard her voice. The Head Mistress laughed, and nuzzled Moon Beat to her hooves.

"Well, you better get going. Everyone else will be wondering where you are." Head Mistress said, placing the bongos on Moon's back. "Are you sure that I can keep this?" Moon asked, still confused. "Yes, Moon!" Head Mistress said, rolling her eyes as she opened the doors. "Now, get going!"

Moon walked forward, and out of the room, and down the hall, running into the wall on the other side. She fell back, onto her flank. "I'm okay." she said, though not to anyone in particular. Moon sighed. "Yeah...but no one's there...right?" she asked, her small voice ringing through the now empty hall. She shook her head, and stood up. Walking down the hall, using the wall to guide her, she made her way back to her room.

She knew it was hers, because she had a small chip on her door. She opened the door and walked in, closing it behind her. She walked over to her bed, and sat down on top of the covers. She sighed again, and set the bongos in front of her. She hit them once, gaining another lovely sound.

'What do I do with this?' she thought to herself, asking her own consciousness, which shrugged in reply. She sighed, and pushed the drums away. 'It's just music...it can't do anything for a blind pony like me...'

THUNK!

Moon's ears perked, as a small image flashed through her mind. It was a small thing, covered in feathers, sitting on a ledge. It was bright blue, with a white chest. It chirped, and Mon turned her head to her window. It was outside. She could see it, though not with her eyes.

Moon walked over to the window, and opened it. She heard a small rustling of feathers, and saw the small thing on her floor. She turned her head, taking in her room's walls and her bed. The small thing chirped again, and Moon jumped, shaking as she approached the small feather-covered thing.

"H-hello?" she asked, tilting her head to the side. The thing chirped again, and flew onto Moon's head. A small ring appeared as the thing chirped, and expanded, fading a few seconds later. But she had seen it. Her mirror. Her own face.

"I...i can see?" She asked herself, and the thing (which she had now deduced as a 'bird') chirped again, letting her see herself again. Her pupils were grey and spilling over with tears. She grinned, and saw her face smile, before it faded into black again. She opened her mouth and said 'Boo', but nothing happened. She was confused.

Using her hooves, she searched for her bongo's, and once she found them, she tapped them on the top. The ring expanded, larger than the bird's chirping, and it lasted for longer. She grinned, and began playing, letting her eyes wander as her hooves drummed away. She played and played, and when the Head Mistress called for dinner, Moon frowned. She stopped drumming, and the world around her once again faded into darkness.

She looked up and, using the floorboards as a guide, found the door and exited her room. However, she knew that she would be back. And that her little talent would most likely lead her to great things.

Comments ( 1 )

Love this story so far! Keep on going.

Login or register to comment