• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 21,154 Views, 1,071 Comments

Fluttershy's Bad "Hare" Day - Pegasus Rescue Brigade

  • ...
22
 1,071
 21,154

Chapter 6

By the time Fluttershy was properly cleaned, dried, warmed, and fed, the sun had gone down, and the stormy day had given way to a cool, clear night. Carrying the sapphire and pink water lily, Angel and Fluttershy set out for Ponyville for another meeting with Owloysius. Moonlight illuminated their path as they passed through the rain-soaked fields.

Neither rabbit spoke very much; both had a lot on their minds after the events of the afternoon. In silence, they finally arrived at Ponyville library, late into the evening.

Peewee, who had been perched on the windowsill, squawked in excitement when he spotted the two visitors approaching. “Uncle Owly!” he called into the library’s main chamber. “I see Angel and Fluttershy! Come over and pick them up!”

Owloysius fluttered to the perch, and then down to give Angel and Fluttershy a lift. Once the rabbits were safely inside, he hopped down onto the study table where, as usual, many books were strewn about.

“Alright, Feathers,” Angel said. “We got the sapphire and the pink lily. It wasn’t easy either.”

Fluttershy cleared her throat. “Owloysius,” she began quietly, “have you found the location of the last ingredient yet?”

“Yeah,” Angel added, “tell us where to get the Sparkling Toadstool or whatever the heck it’s called.”

“Twinklecap Mushroom,” Owloysius corrected.

“Whatever!” Angel snarled. “I’ve had it up to here with this silly adventure, and I don’t think ‘Shy’s doing a whole lot better than I am. Now do you have the location or not?”

“…Erm…”

“Wait. Before you answer, allow me to guess,” Angel said grumpily. “You’ve got good news and bad news, right?”

“However did you know?” Owloysius said flatly.

Angel shook his head. “Fine. Out with it.”

“Very well then,” Owloysius replied. “The good news is that we have managed to find the location of the final ingredient. What’s even better is that it is not far from here at all.”

Angel nodded. “So, you know where it is, and it’s nearby. What’s the bad news? Is it a protected species in some conservation district? Maybe it’s growing on the farm owned by that crazy pony who runs the carrot stand?”

Owloysius opened his beak to respond, but Angel cut him off. “But wait! Even that would be too easy. So now’s the part where you tell us that it’s growing somewhere even worse than that, right?”

“Correct,” Owloysius replied. “The Twinklecap Mushroom is only known to grow in one location; the very heart of the Everfree Forest.”

Angel nodded again. “Yep, that would do it.”

Fluttershy’s eyes went wide. “The Everfree Forest!” she wailed, tugging on her ears miserably. “We can’t go in there!”

“You’re tellin’ me,” Angel responded. “For a pony, that place is dangerous at best. For small creatures like us, the chance of mortality is almost a hundred percent.”

“I truly am sorry to deliver this news,” Owloysius said mournfully. “If there was any other place to get a Twinklecap Mushroom, I would not hesitate to inform you. But unfortunately, the species is not cultivated by ponies.”

Fluttershy felt lost; after all the work she and Angel had gone through to retrieve the first two ingredients, the third was now hidden away in what was perhaps the most dangerous place in Equestria.

“But… we…” she stuttered. “Isn’t there some way we can enter the forest safely?”

“Alas,” said Owloysius, “as far as I am acquainted with that proposition, the repercussions of such an endeavor can only culminate in inadequacy when attending to purposes of protracting subsistence.”

Fluttershy blinked several times.

“What?”

“As far as he knows, there isn’t,” Peewee translated.

“Oh.”

Fluttershy plopped down on the floor. Angel glanced at her, before turning back to Owloysius and crossing his arms in frustration. “So, what exactly do you suggest we do now, Feathers?” he asked.

“I would like to ask you two not to give up hope just yet,” Owloysius urged. “Peewee and I will continue researching. If we find anything at all concerning either the Everfree, or another location where the mushroom grows, we shall come to you immediately. You need not continue returning here; at this point, I will visit you two at the cottage if I have any news. Remember, Fluttershy still has a full three days until her transformation is permanent. We cannot throw in the towel so soon.”

“So, we’re leaving it to you?” Angel asked. “There’s nothing else ‘Shy and I can do?”

“I’m afraid not,” said Owloysius. “Becoming a rabbit permanently is preferable to death, I believe, so I must insist you do not attempt to enter the Everfree.”

“Wasn’t plannin’ on it,” Angel said. “I’m not getting myself killed for this kid.”

Fluttershy slowly stood up. “Let’s go Angel,” she whispered. “I don’t think there’s anything else to say.”

“Again, I am deeply sorry, Fluttershy,” Owloysius said. “I feel as if I have failed you. If I find anything else at all, I will immediately find you two. I swear it.”

“And I’ll help too!” Peewee announced. “Everything Uncle Owly has taught me leads up to this moment! With me helping, we can search the books for clues twice as fast!”

Fluttershy gave Peewee a sad smile. “Thank you, both of you. Thank you for caring.”

“Ugh, enough already,” Angel grumbled. “Let’s go. I’m tired, and I have business to take care of tomorrow.”

Owloysius lifted the rabbits out of the library, and placed them safely on the grass. Silently, he turned and fluttered back inside.

“Guess we might as well sleep here again tonight,” Angel said. He flopped down, placing his arms behind his head. “Go to sleep kid. We’ll try to figure out some new plan tomorrow.”

Fluttershy knew Angel had as little an idea about how to proceed as she did, but she appreciated his feeble attempt to comfort her nonetheless. She snuggled into the tall grass, wondering what the next three days would hold for her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Wake up, sleepyhead!”

A feather lightly tickled Fluttershy’s sensitive nose, bringing her quickly to consciousness. She sneezed and sat up.

“Yay, you’re awake!” Peewee chirped. “Uncle Owly’s asleep now, but I’m still up!”

“Oh, good morning, Peewee,” Fluttershy mumbled sleepily. She glanced around, blinking in the bright sunlight, and noticed that a certain white rabbit was not present.

“Wait… where’s Angel?”

“Oh yeah, him,” Peewee said vaguely. “He got up right after dawn. He told me to tell you that he had some business to take care of. The usual stuff.”

“Angel’s gone?” Fluttershy asked. “What am I supposed to do until he gets back?”

“He said he didn’t care,” Peewee replied. “He promised he’d meet you at the cottage a little after noon. In the meantime, you’re free to go wherever.”

Fluttershy nodded. “I’ll just go down to the bunny city for the morning. That connects back to the cottage anyway.”

“So, uh…” Peewee said, trailing off. “I should go get some sleep. Uncle Owly and I are gonna work super double overtime to help you out, Fluttershy! I just know we’ll find a way to get that mushroom!”

Fluttershy gave Peewee a gentle hug. “I know,” she said. “You two are the best.”

Peewee smiled before disappearing into the library again. Fluttershy watched him go, and then set off for the underground city.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So you’re absolutely sure the Main Mare isn’t following us?” Professor Snuggles asked.

“For the last time, professor,” Angel yelled, “’Shy was still out like a light when I left this morning. I wasn’t stupid enough to tell Feathers’ bird-brained little phoenix assistant where exactly I was going, either. She’s probably woken up by now, and if I know her, she’ll probably just head straight back to the cottage and wait for me. The four of us can go to Sweet Apple Acres, check the logistics, plan out the last few phases of the Big Job, and go back again without ‘Shy ever being the wiser about it.”

Professor Snuggles glanced suspiciously at the Button brothers, but their expressions, as usual, showed nothing but support for their boss’s plans.

“Very well,” the professor said. “I suppose I should trust you know what you’re doing, capo.

“Of course I do,” Angel replied. “Now, the closest exit to Sweet Apple Acres is coming up. Remember to move cautiously; I know there’re only four of us, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we can escape the watchful eyes of the Apple Family.”

Angel hopped out into the morning sunlight, followed by his henchmen and the professor. Just across the road stood the old wooden fence, easy enough for a bunny to slip under, and beyond that, acres and acres of apple trees grew. The four intruders crossed the path and hopped onto the property, hiding among the roots of the nearest tree.

“Alright, this is the primary entry point,” the professor explained. “I believe we have two auxiliary entrances as well, so Winona can’t just guard a single hole and keep us all out.”

For most of the morning, the group of rabbits scampered from hiding spot to hiding spot, trekking all over Sweet Apple Acres and taking note of every convenient bit of cover for their forces to occupy. The professor, being exceptionally smart for a rabbit, was quickly able to make many revisions to the plans. Soon, it seemed they had developed the perfect heist; hundreds of apples would be stolen, and, assuming Winona fell for the decoys, few rabbits’ safety would be risked in the process.

Angel glanced over the hill leading to the rabbit hole that would be used for most of the exiting raiding parties and nodded his head in satisfaction.

“Professor, you’ve done it again,” he complimented. “That stupid collie will never know what hit her!”

“Oh, I dunno about that, pardner.”

Before anybunny could move, Angel found himself snatched up by the ears. He dangled helplessly from the mouth of Winona.

“I see you varmints are up t’ no good, as usual,” Winona growled through her clenched teeth. “I dunno what you’re planning, but I can tell it’s a good enough reason for me to chase y’all off the farm.”

“Let me go, you overgrown fleabag!” Angel threatened, swinging his tiny fists fruitlessly as Winona held him up.

“Yeah, right,” Winona said. “You’d just go back to causin’ trouble. You best be glad I’m takin’ care not to hurt ya’.”

The collie glared down at the other three rabbits, who stood still, as if unsure if what to do. “Git outta here, you three,” she said. “And don’t come back. I’ll take care of your leader.”

Angel’s posse hesitated, before finally turning and bolting down the nearest rabbit hole.

“As for you, Angel,” Winona started, taking care not to drop her catch. “You’re the ringleader of these nasty critters. If I let you scramble back down your hole with a warning, you’d be back in ten seconds to swipe somethin’ else. So I think I’ll take it upon m’self to take you home personally.”

Angel crossed his arms, finally giving up the fight for freedom. With a satisfied nod, Winona trotted away from the farm, her prize still dangling from her teeth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy easily found the large opening at the base of the old stump, and hopped down into the tunnel. She meandered into the main underground plaza in search of some breakfast.

The trading plaza looked exactly like it had when Fluttershy had visited three days ago. Dozens of animals milled about, disappearing down the array of side tunnels, and engaging in conversation and trading supplies with one another.

I still don’t have anything to trade, Fluttershy realized. Maybe I can find another café and get something for free again if I put it on Angel’s tab.

Fluttershy walked slowly through the plaza, glancing around contently. She decided on a tunnel that she knew led toward a few of the smaller shops, but as she crossed the large chamber, a raised voice caught her attention. Guiltily, she tried to move on, but couldn’t help but stop to listen to an argument between a chipmunk and a hedgehog.

“I already told you!” the hedgehog insisted. “I only have a few berries as it is. I can’t afford to give away any more.”

“But I need another one,” the chipmunk whined. “Do you know how hard it is to keep my daughter satisfied lately? She’s going through another growth spurt, and those are her favorite.”

“I’m sorry,” the hedgehog said. “But we’re hungry too. I can’t part with any more of these unless you have something else to give.”

“I already gave you every last one of my beans!” the chipmunk cried. “What more do you want?”

“Anything!” the hedgehog snarled back. “I’m not gonna go hungry yet again just so you can-”

The hedgehog took notice of Fluttershy, who realized she had been staring. His eyes widened. The chipmunk followed his gaze, and her expression soon matched his.

“Is there something I can help you with, miss?” the hedgehog asked, a hint of nervousness in his voice.

“Oh, pardon me,” Fluttershy said sheepishly. “I didn’t mean to listen in on your conversation. I was just on my way to find something to eat.”

The hedgehog and the chipmunk exchanged grim, knowing glances. “You… you can have mine, of course, miss,” the hedgehog said, shoving the pile of provisions in Fluttershy’s direction.

"Yes, mine too,” the chipmunk agreed, pushing the few bright berries she had been carrying toward the rabbit.

Fluttershy was taken aback. “A-are you sure?” she asked. “I mean, it sounded like you need them for yourselves.”

“Oh, nonsense,” said the chipmunk anxiously, her eyes darting around the room. “I’m sure you need them more than I, miss.”

“Well… um, if you’re sure…” said Fluttershy, noticing both the hedgehog and the chipmunk edging away from her, “then thank you, really. This will make a lovely breakfast.”

“I’m sure it will,” said the hedgehog sadly. “And, uh… have a good day, miss.”

The two animals turned tail and scampered away rather quickly, leaving Fluttershy bewildered. Unsure about the citizens’ behavior, but still grateful for the food, she sat down in a nearby hall and enjoyed the hearty breakfast.

It was now midmorning; Angel wouldn’t be returning to the cottage for over an hour, so Fluttershy decided to wander the tunnels, and see if she could find any animals she recognized. She strolled aimlessly down the nearly identical passageways, and soon found herself at an intersection she recognized. At this spot, a few days earlier, she had suggested that she and Angel proceed down a lower tunnel branching off to one side of the tunnel network, but Angel had rejected this idea in favor of taking Fluttershy to a café instead. With Angel not around this time, clearly there was no harm in seeing what this tunnel held, right?

As Angel had said, the tunnel was simply an additional housing corridor. However, as Fluttershy traveled down the passageway, a strange feeling began to creep into the back of her mind. Something was different here; there was a dreary aura over this place that she couldn’t quite explain.

Fluttershy peeked into one of the homes. Is it my imagination, she thought, or do these dens seem smaller than the other ones?

The living quarters here not only seemed smaller; they also had a sort of tense feeling surrounding them. Instead of rabbits relaxing comfortably and wandering about, this place was silent, and what few animals did pass by ducked their heads and hurried along without a word. After a few minutes, it occurred to Fluttershy that none of the creatures here were rabbits; every last one was some other type of animal. Considering the homes she had visited a few days prior had held almost nothing but rabbits, this struck her as very odd.

Determined to find out what was going on, Fluttershy cautiously stepped into one of the occupied homes. Across the room, an old squirrel woman sat cleaning a few tiny, shriveled nuts setting atop a rickety-looking table.

“Um… excuse me, ma’am?” Fluttershy called quietly.

The squirrel turned around, and frowned when she saw Fluttershy standing in her doorway. “Oh, wonderful,” she grunted. “Just when I thought I might actually get something to eat today without going all the way up to the cottage.”

The old squirrel hoisted the nuts in her paws held them out to Fluttershy. “Here. Take them and go away. This will keep there from being any more visitors for a week or so, right?”

“What are you talking about?” Fluttershy asked. “I don’t want your food, I’ve already had plenty to eat.”

The squirrel looked skeptical, and then she began to appear worried. “You’re not here… for the food? Then… what are you here for? Am I in trouble? I didn’t do anything, I swear!”

“What?” asked Fluttershy, startled by the old squirrel’s behavior. “I’m sorry, I’m afraid there’s been some kind of miscommunication. I’m not here for anything, I just wanted to ask you a few questions.”

This only made the squirrel even more upset. “That… but… please, miss, I did nothing to cross the rabbits, honest!”

“Ma’am, what’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked, unable to make sense of her host’s reactions. “Why are you so upset? What happened with the rabbits?”

Suddenly, the squirrel seemed angry. She narrowed her eyes at Fluttershy.

“Why am I upset, huh?” she growled. “Is this some kind of test?”

“It… what?” Fluttershy asked. “It’s not a test! I just want to know what’s going on!”

“Not a test,” the squirrel scoffed. “You think because you come in here acting all cute and innocent, you’re going to catch me off guard. But I wasn’t born yesterday, sweetie. I’ve seen you; you’ve been right at the capo’s side all week. And you have the nerve to come in here and ask me what’s wrong!?”

“What does Angel have to do with this?” Fluttershy inquired.

The squirrel appeared at a loss for words. She stared at Fluttershy, her mouth slightly agape as if she was unable to believe such a question had just been posed.

“Why are you mocking me!?” she suddenly shrieked. “I told you I didn’t do anything! Take the stupid nuts and get out!”

“B-but I already told you,” Fluttershy squeaked, drawing back in fear, “I don’t want the nuts! I just want to know-”

“Fine! Don’t take them then! Just GET OUT!”

The squirrel hurled one of the tiny nuts at Fluttershy’s head. She squeaked and dove out of the way, scrambling out of the den as quickly as she could. She fled from the tunnel, clearly hearing the old squirrel collapse into a fit of desperate sobbing somewhere far behind.

What in Equestria was that all about? Fluttershy thought as she ran. Something isn’t right. I need to talk to Angel as soon as he gets back!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy sat on the bridge in front of her cottage, dangling her feet over the side as she waited for Angel to return. A glance at her reflection in the water reminded her of her dwindling time to find a cure for the Heart’s Desire, but even that situation had taken a back seat in her mind right now; theories and questions about the troubling behavior of the animals had overtaken her thoughts for the time being.

Her ears perked up at the sound of approaching voices.

“Ain’t we close enough? Just drop me here, you stubborn mutt!”

“No can do, pardner. I’m tryin’ to make a point here.”

Fluttershy stood and looked in the direction of the approaching voices. She was greeted by the sight of Angel Bunny, dangling by his ears from the mouth of a brown and white dog.

At last, the pair arrived on the front lawn of the cottage. “Here we are,” Winona said. “Now, I’m gonna let you down, and I don’t wanna hear ‘bout you causin’ any more trouble, ya hear?”

Winona glanced toward the house and noticed the strange yellow rabbit approaching her.

“Winona?” Fluttershy asked.

Curious, Winona sniffed the air, recognizing the scent immediately. “Fluttershy?” the collie gasped, dropping Angel on his rump in the process. “Well, my stars dear, you’re looking different.”

“Yes, I’m getting tired of having this conversation again and again,” Angel interrupted. “Fluttershy’s been turned into a rabbit. Now if you’ll excuse us, Winona, we have a lot of work to do before that transformation becomes permanent.”

“Wait,” Fluttershy said. “Angel, why was Winona carrying you back here?”

“’Cause I caught the thievin’ varmint and his little friends at Sweet Apple Acres, of course,” Winona said. “I sure am glad you had the sense not to go with ‘em, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, that’s silly,” Fluttershy laughed and shook her head. “Winona, I’m afraid you’ve made a mistake. Angel wouldn’t steal anything; it was probably just a misunderstanding.”

“Angel wouldn’t…” Winona started. She glanced between Angel and Fluttershy a few times, finally settling her gaze on the former. “How much does she know?” she asked the white rabbit.

Angel frowned. “Winona, we don’t need to go into that,” he insisted.

“Into what?” Fluttershy asked.

“Into Angel’s job,” Winona said. “Do you know anything about it?”

Fluttershy hesitated. “Isn’t Angel kind of in charge of the animal city? He and the other rabbits that work for him try to keep everybunny properly housed and fed."

Winona snorted. “Oh, he’s in charge all right, but honey, your story isn’t quite straight. Angel ain’t no little good Samaritan.”

“Shut up, Winona, you’re not helping things!” Angel commanded.

“No way,” Winona said. “I’m not letting you fill the poor kid’s head with nonsense.”

She turned back to Fluttershy, her expression grim. “I really hate to tell you this, Fluttershy,” she said, “but Angel does not, nor has he ever, had the best interests of the animal community in mind. He’s not the leader of the city; he’s the leader of the organized crime ring that keeps the city in its threatening grip.”

“Wh-what?” Fluttershy gasped.

Winona sighed. “Fluttershy, Angel is the captain of Ponyville’s Rabbit Mafia.

Fluttershy felt like a rock had dropped into her stomach. She glanced at Angel, who had placed a paw on his forehead in frustration.

“Great,” he mumbled. “As if this wasn’t enough of a hassle already, now this flea-bitten mutt had to go and spill the beans.”

“This… this is a joke, right?” Fluttershy managed. “V-very funny, you two.”

“It ain’t a joke,” Winona said. “Right Angel?”

Angel scowled. “Well… I can’t deny it now, can I? I guess you managed to actually get your facts straight. For once.”

“But… but…” Fluttershy whimpered with increasing urgency. “Surely… one of the other animals would have told me, wouldn’t they? I mean, Owloysius is-”

“Feathers kept quiet because I asked him to,” Angel explained. “And his little assistant is too young to understand, so there was no need to worry about him. Gummy is clueless, and Opal is indifferent to the whole thing, so neither of them were a problem either. Winona, on the other hand…”

He trailed off, his arms crossed tightly in front of him.

“So…” said Fluttershy weakly. “You… you don’t work to feed and protect all the animals in the area, then?”

“Oi,” Angel mumbled. “Just when I thought you couldn’t get any dimmer, kid. The rabbits work together to provide for the rabbits. Nobunny else. It’s just business.”

“Just business,” Winona laughed. “You call threatening and starving all the other animals ‘just business’?”

At once, Fluttershy understood what she had encountered in the tunnels that morning. In both cases, the creatures she had met had been dealing with matters of limited food, and both had been intimidated by her simply because she was a rabbit, and more so because of her closeness with Angel. With a stab of horror, Fluttershy realized that here mere association with Angel may have made her look like a criminal in the eyes of the surrounding creatures.

“It is just business,” Angel insisted. “We still give out necessary food to the other creatures. We only starve them if they disobey us or misbehave, and most of them are way too intimidated to try anything funny. Those few who do make a good example of themselves, and help keep the others in line.”

Fluttershy shook her head slowly, unable to believe both what Angel was saying, and the nonchalant manner in which he said it.

“But… but I feed the animals at my cottage,” she squeaked, now talking more to Winona than Angel. “…So I’ve been helping to stop this, right?”

“Maybe a little,” Winona replied. “Why do you think the animals are always so ravenously hungry? They're horribly underfed, unless they’re rabbits.”

“But… even the rabbits behave like that,” Fluttershy pointed out.

Winona nodded. “Of course they are. They’re trying to collect and hoard as much of the food you provide as they can. That way they can keep living their easy lives, and keep a hold over the other creatures by stockpiling the resources. That way they can keep the rest of the critters under their rules; it’s behave, and accept the poor living conditions and low food supply, or try to change things and starve.”

Fluttershy fell silent. There was no further argument she could pose, and there was nothing to do but accept the fact that Angel was not a heroic philanthropist of the animal world, but in fact a greedy and heartless criminal executive, and that he had been undermining her efforts to better the lives of the animals for all these years.

Fluttershy stood in the middle of the path. Her arms hung at her sides, and her hair drooped down over her eyes. Winona and Angel looked on curiously as she quivered in place.

“’Shy?” Angel asked, slowly approaching. “You having a panic attack or something?”

“You mean to tell me,” Fluttershy began, her fists clenching and her voice barely above a whisper, “that everything you’ve told me in these past few days, and for that matter, everything you’ve led me to believe in the past few years… was a lie?

“No,” said Angel. “I try to lie as infrequently as possible. I just answered everything as vaguely as I could. You were really the one who came up with all these assumptions about me being some kind of selfless upholder of order. I just rolled with it.”

For the first time in his life, Angel found himself of the receiving end of a slap to the face. He placed a paw on his reddening cheek, shocked that Fluttershy had actually built up the courage to lash out at him.

“I can’t believe you!” Fluttershy cried, leaning in so close to Angel that their noses bumped. “All this time, I thought you were just a little grumpy because you were such a good, hard worker, and the job was stressful; you had me believe that you were a good rabbit under that surly exterior! But you’re not! You’ve just been manipulating me, and making the animals I care about miserable!

Angel stepped back. “Take it easy, kid,” he said. “You’re blowing this out of proportion.”

“Out of proportion!?” Fluttershy screamed. “I don’t think I’m being harsh enough! How would you feel if you suddenly discovered that someone who you trusted and cared for, someone who has lived under the same roof with you for years… someone you treated and loved like family and would gladly do anything for… what if you discovered that same someone has spent his entire life trying to undo all the good you’ve tried to do for those around you? Because that’s what's happening right here, Angel. And trust me, it’s pretty hard to blow something like that out of proportion!”

Angel was taken aback by such an outburst from somebunny usually so timid. “Well, kid, I think that-”

“Just stop,” Fluttershy interrupted, turning away to hide her tears. “Whatever it was you were going to say, I don’t care. Any respect I had for you before is gone.”

She turned to Winona. “Winona, please, I need you to take me somewhere. Anywhere. As long as it’s not here. I want to get as far away from this evil little rabbit as possible.”

“What?!” Angel asked. “’Shy, you’re forgetting something here. You can’t leave. You still need that last ingredient for your cure, so you’re sticking around whether you like it or not!”

“I’ll find it myself!” Fluttershy announced. “And even if I can’t, that’s fine. I’d rather spend the rest of my life as a rabbit than spend another minute working with a double-crossing slimeball like you.”

“Kid, you’re being ridiculous,” Angel said. He stepped toward his angry companion, but Fluttershy spun in place, kicking Angel squarely in the chest. He cried out and tumbled backwards, and Fluttershy hopped onto Winona’s back. By the time Angel managed to get to his feet, the dog and her passenger were already standing atop the next hill.

“Good luck getting away,” Angel called sarcastically. “I’ve got this whole town monitored. There’s nowhere you can take her where I won’t find her!”

“She’ll be plenty safe if I take her to The Haven,” Winona replied.

Angel stiffened. “You wouldn’t dare.”

“I would,” Winona said. “You’ll never find her there. None of you good-for-nothing rabbits will ever find that place.”

Winona turned her head, glancing at the rabbit on her back. “Ready to go, honey?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Absolutely.”

Winona took off, as Angel stood helplessly at the cottage’s front walk.

“Alright, fine!” he screamed, his whole body shaking in rage. “Run away, ‘Shy! But you and I both know you need me if you want to find that cure! So go ahead and run! You’re just fleeing from your last chance to ever live a normal life with your pony friends again!”

Fluttershy didn’t respond; she just gripped Winona’s fur tightly as they two of them rapidly disappeared into the trees, leaving the fuming rabbit far behind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy was quiet for a very long time. Winona didn’t say much either; the collie just continued her sprint towards whatever secret place she had chosen to take Fluttershy to.

The pair passed Sweet Apple Acres and continued out into the countryside beyond, heading into the unpopulated lands west of the Ponyville area. After some time, a forest appeared on the horizon.

“You okay up there, hon?” Winona asked finally. “You’ve been mighty quiet. Though I know you’ve had kind of a rough day, so I don’t blame you.”

“I’m okay… I guess,” Fluttershy mumbled. “I’m just… I don’t know how to feel right now. I’m angry, and disappointed, and a little bit scared. It’s worse than just losing a friend; it’s like finding out I never had a friend in the first place.”

She sighed. “I guess I should have seen the signs. Angel has never been the most friendly and courteous of rabbits. But over the years, when I was sad, he was always there to comfort me. I was really convinced that he cared about me. I just feel so bad now that I know all that affection he offered was false.”

“I understand,” Winona said. “I’m sure that had t’ be a hard realization for you. But right now, I think the best thing to do is to just get you away from that mess, to the one place where animals who don’t want to live with Angel’s deception and tyranny have managed to set up a functioning community of their own.”

Fluttershy looked at her unfamiliar surroundings. “Where are we going, anyway?” she asked. “I’ve never been out this way before; we have to be at least a few miles outside of Ponyville by now.”

“We’re going to a place we call ‘The Haven’,” Winona explained. “Angel and his goons have no power there. They don’t even know where the place is. Once we explain your situation to the Director, he’ll figure out the best course of action for you.”

Winona and Fluttershy arrived at the edge of the forest. Unlike the Everfree, with its gloomy canopy and marshy interior, this forest seemed quite welcoming. Sunlight filtered between the bright leaves. The trees were healthy and strong, contrasting those of the Everfree, which were often drooping and covered in twisted vines.

“This place is beautiful,” Fluttershy remarked.

“And rich in resources,” Winona added. “This place is a little too far for the rabbits of Ponyville to exploit, so the creatures of The Haven are able to collect food here without fear. Only a few of the larger Ponyville animals, like myself, can make the trip out here on a regular basis.”

Winona came to a halt. “And speaking of The Haven… here we are.”

Fluttershy looked up, but she was not ready for the sight presented to her.

In front of the pair stood a truly monumental oak tree; the fantastic plant was so tall, and its circumference so great, that the Ponyville Library looked like a sapling by comparison. Stretching over the canopy of the rest of the forest, hundreds of thick branches formed a suspended network over their heads.

“We’ve converted this tree into a city of our own,” Winona said proudly. “Sure, it’s not quite as huge as the animal city back home, but it’s pretty nice for the small group that lives here. And, unlike the tunnels around Ponyville, I can actually fit in here!”

Winona clambered through a hole in the side of the tree, and Fluttershy marveled at the vast chamber within.

Dozens of bridges crisscrossed the huge cylindrical interior. Small carved stairways snaked up the walls, and numerous tunnels indicated the presence of dozens of smaller rooms radiating out from the central chamber. Everywhere Fluttershy looked, animals of all kinds walked, hopped, or flew from place to place.

“Afternoon, Winona,” said an old mole as he approached the new arrivals. “Who’s that on your back?”

“She’s a friend of mine,” Winona replied. “And she needs to speak with the Director right away.”

The mole squinted at Fluttershy and let out a gasp. “By gum, Winona, that’s a rabbit you got there! You can’t bring a rabbit here! You know what’ll happen!”

“Calm down, pardner,” Winona said. “She’s on our side. I’m sure of that.”

The mole looked skeptical. “Okay…” he said suspiciously. “But I’m not sure you can trust her. When this place is swarming with rabbit mobsters, don’t come crying to me.”

The mole wandered away, mumbling to himself about rabbits.

“Don’t pay any attention to them, hon,” Winona insisted. “The Director will understand your situation, and that’s all that matters.”

“Who is this Director?” Fluttershy asked.

“The Director is in charge of everything that happens here,” Winona explained. “He helps with the planning for our food gathering parties, and he singlehandedly addresses any problems or concerns of all of the residents here.”

Winona began to climb the small stairs lining the inside of the tree. Together with her passenger, she spiraled up the gigantic chamber, passing hall after hall until she finally reached the very top.

Winona motioned to the highest tunnel in the tree with a paw. “The Director prefers to talk with only one visitor at a time,” she explained. “I’ll wait for you out here. Go ahead in.”

“But… what do I say?” Fluttershy asked. “I’m sorry, but I’m just not sure what I’m doing here, or what to expect. This whole day has been so confusing…”

“That’s okay,” Winona said. “The Director will help you figure that out for yourself. He didn’t become the leader of the whole community here at the Haven for no reason you know. He has lots of wisdom, lots of kindness… and infinite patience. He will help you continue your search for a cure for your ailment, as well as offer his guidance concerning your damaged relationship with Angel.”

“And you’re sure he’ll listen to a rabbit?” Fluttershy asked hesitantly.

“He will,” Winona said. “I promise.”

Fluttershy swallowed hard, then turned and cautiously proceeded up the tunnel to the uppermost chamber of the great tree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Well, boss, I think the situation was inevitable,” Professor Snuggles said.

“I don’t need you to tell me that!” Angel snapped. “But what are we supposed to do now? All the apologies in the world wouldn’t be enough to bring the Main Mare back after that!”

“I know, boss,” the Professor said. “But it’s not as if we cannot function without her. Some small redistribution of labor will allow us to collect the necessary food from other sources. A few small additional heists will not be a problem to coordinate. And if the food supply does drop overall, there’s no harm in cutting the other creatures’ rations again.”

Angel nodded slowly. “I guess you’re right,” he said finally. “It’s gonna be kind of different without ‘Shy around, though.”

The Professor shook his head in disappointment. “Capo, you’re letting yourself get too attached to that mare. I’ve warned you time and time again not to let that happen. She is… I mean, was… one source of food, and nothing more. Now that she knows our secret, and will not provide for us anyway, you are obviously lifted from the obligation of helping her regain her pony form. So I must recommend you just forget about her.”

The Professor started toward the nearest rabbit hole. “Come on, boss! Some work on the Big Job will take your mind off this. If anything, you should be happy to have her out of your hair in time to finish the planning.”

“Yeah,” Angel grunted. “Go ahead Professor, I’ll be along in a minute.”

The Professor disappeared, leaving Angel standing on the cottage’s front walk. He stared out into the distance, in the direction Fluttershy and Winona had headed.

The Professor’s right, he thought to himself. ‘Shy was just a convenience. We never needed her for survival. So this is just a minor unfortunate turn of events for the business, right?

He sighed. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? You try to fake it, but you value that mare’s companionship, don’t you?

Angel shook his head fervently. Snap out of it! There’s no room for that kind of thing in this organization! We’ve got work to do, and with ‘Shy gone, it’ll only be that much easier!

Ignoring the guilty pangs still plaguing him, Angel turned and sprinted down the rabbit hole.