• Published 31st May 2014
  • 37,390 Views, 987 Comments

Walking Giant - Gairenard



When a man finds trees tall as his waist and an ancient castle with furniture much too small for him; he comes across the inhabitants of the new world. The thing is, he can hold one of them in the palm of his hand.

  • ...
71
 987
 37,390

Conception

Chapter 8 - Conception

The Everfree Giant. A name that strikes fear and wonder into the minds of the residents of Ponyville. As far as they are concerned, the cursed forest just became that much more dangerous. Giant creatures living in the forest is nothing new, and even on the rare occasions where one attacks, the situation is duly handled. But what makes this one special is purely the strange anatomy of the beast.

From the photographs released it is clear that it wears clothes, wields a forged weapon, and uses glasses. This alone suggests intelligence, but when asked about the violence it displayed two days ago, Princess Twilight Sparkle gave us only this, “...The bright spotlights were disorienting him, and induced natural self-defense behavior…” That said, it is not known whether the identified spotlight-ponies will be blamed for the events, but it goes without saying that some form of justice must be delivered.

The princess will announce appropriate actions to protect and investigate the new threat today, yet there are so many questions already, and as with any royal announcement, it usually raises more questions than answers. One of the most obvious ones being why hasn’t the princesses been taking this more seriously, and with faster action?

Locals who live on the outskirts near forest should be concerned the most, given the obvious risk. Many ponies already spoken to believe that The Canterlot Sisters are to be given the weight of this affair. “After all,” Farmer Wheat Chop remarked, “Sparkle hasn't been princess for long, who’s to say that she’s really ready yet?”

It’s a valid concern. Great power comes with great responsibility, and perhaps the post-protege of the princess isnt fit for that kind of thing. Even with the limited power she has...

The article continued on, but Spike chose that statement as a good stopping point. He looked up from the paper to see Twilight sitting across the table re-reading a speech that had taken her ten tries. Spike noticed she was helping herself to a third bowl of unsweetened oatmeal, beside her was the empty coffee pot, the base of it already sticky and dry.

The jittering alicorn brought yesterday’s simulation to Spike’s mind, he could still see the Sparkle Express derail in a horrible ball of fire: an example that was, quite frankly, a fair representation of possible event, and to that extent, a fair representation of previous events, like when she found all of the food in the fridge gone.

In fact, he had suspicions that Discord did what he did for a reason, because, despite his reputation, there is meaning to the madness. Discord is no fool, of the stupid variety at least.

Spike folded up the newspaper and set it down. Doing so revealed a sack of bits and a long grocery list sitting neatly on the table next to the crumby remains of Spike’s own breakfast. He picked up both items and started towards the door.

Spike stopped and opened his mouth, ready to notify Twilight of his leave, but thought against it. He knew too well that spoken words would only fall on deaf ears. Her complete attention was focused on the speech before her.

Proceeding out the door, he went off to visit the town market. The weather appeared to be cool and calm, and the townsfolk busied about their day as usual. Despite of what he had read in the paper, everypony was quite calm. That did not change until he reached the market.

Spike’s first stop was the tomato stand. As the stallion behind the counter gathered the tomatoes, Spike’s ears picked up a keyword amongst the din. “Giant?” Was all he heard over the bustling crowd. “Yeah, feels like one of those disaster movies, when an alien attacks and destroys Manehattan.”

Spike turned away from the stand and looked at the conversationalists, who turned out to be Rose and Lily.

“I know right! It was like something out of Horsezilla!”

“Sir.”

“Exactly! I heard from Rose a few hours ago–”

“Sir?” Spike jolted when the tomato stallion tapped his shoulder, the requested fruit was sitting on the counter patiently. “Oh! Sorry,” Spike put the bits on the table and stashed the fruit. “Have a good day!” The stallion waved back as he turned towards Rose and Lily, intent on putting an end to their conversation.

However, the mares were already on the move. Not only was Spike hindered by the dense crowd, but also by a large set of merchants pulling their goods and stands to a location further down the market. In the end, Spike knew that it would be a fruitless effort to try and reach the mares at this point. Disgruntled, he continued shopping, but kept his ears open for a similar conversation.

The next stop was the bread stand. There, Spike made the transaction swift but polite, knowing that time was a factor if he wanted to get home anytime soon.

“I’m telling you, Bonnie, he has hands! Hands!” Spike stopped in mid bread stashing, his ears twitching towards the direction of the voice. Pivoting around on his heels, he could see Lyra and Bon Bon sitting on a bench not too far away. The two of them appeared to be exchanging pleasantries as they watched the shopping ponies go by.

Bon Bon sighed and shook her head. “Come on, Lyra, first it was dragon claws, then minotaur hands, now this! Are you sure you don’t need to go see Dr. Reed again?”

Connecting the dots, Spike quickly placed the rest of the bread in his bag and went over to the two mares. “Come on, Bon Bon, can’t you for once agree with me on how awesome this is?”

Bon bon closed her eyes. “Lyra, what is so interesting about limbs with fingers? You have magic for Celestia’s sake!”

“What’s interesting is that they don’t need to u–”

“Morning Lyra, Bon Bon!” Spiked smiled and waved as he approached the two mares.

Both mares knew Spike as more of an acquaintance than a friend, but that’s not to say that they disliked his company, evidenced by Lyra’s cheerful greeting, “Morning, Spike! How are things?”

Spike shrugged his shoulders. “Eh, Discord ate everything in our fridge so I have a big shopping list. So I guess I’m alright.”

Bon Bon lifted an eyebrow. “Did he eat the fridge itself?”

Spike hadn't considered that until recently. It certainly could have happened. “Thankfully no, but did I hear you two talking about the giant?”

Lyra got more excited than before. She leapt from her spot on the bench and closed in on Spike’s personal space. “Yes!”

Bon still did not share this energy, matter of fact at the mentioning of the giant her features faltered a little. “Lyra, as far as I’m concerned it’s just another weird thing that lives in the weird forest.”

Lyra glared back at her companion. “Say what you will Bonnie, but when the EBA publishes my work I’ll be promoted!”

Spike became worried. “EBA is coming out here? Now?!”

Lyra didn't pick up on Spike’s distress, but instead sat down and crossed her forelegs. “They should have been here sooner, and I just got investigative authority.”

Spike’ eyes widened in surprise, and he leaned forward whilst pointing at Lyra. “You work for the EBA?!”

“Well yes, I–”

Bon Bon answered this question before Lyra could by cutting her off. “She doesn't have a biologist’s PHD, ye–”

Lyra interrupted abruptly, with her voice carrying an annoyed attitude toward Bon Bon. “I may not have a ‘P.H.D’ , but I am recognized by my work and was certified as a biologist because of it!” She nodded her head definitively. She turned back to Spike, who was putting his talon to his chin in deep thought. “Anyhow, I can't tell you much more Spike. Given the tense state of the town, they want to do this privately.”

Spike only nodded, and raised his claw defensively. “I understand.” There was a moment of awkward silence as none of them knew what to say next. “Uh, well, I have to keep moving–”

Both mares spoke at the same time. “Bye, Spike!”

Bon Bon suddenly turned to Lyra and shouted, “Jinx! You buy me an apple!” Lyra was pouting in defeat by the time Spike got out of earshot.

During the following hour spending time at numerous stands, Spike started to hear more optimistic conversations about his friend. But, in spite of all that, the thought of the EBA coming to Ponyville worried him the most. “If Twilight keeps her research a secret any longer, the EBA will get credit for everything." Spike bit his tongue his nerves were starting to get to him the more he thought about it. “If a princess can't interfere in time, then this could actually get really bad! Barin is in danger!”

Instinctively, the pace of his shopping quickened. “We could have another needle incident again, and this time–” He shuddered while stuffing oranges into the bag, before tossing bits at the cashier dismissively. He was gone by the time the mare had counted the change. “This time, he could really hurt somepony! Or even worse, they force him out of his home!”

“I regret nothing!” Discord declared valiantly, standing with his back straight and chest out in such a way to complement a brave statement. Regardless, the royal sisters were not appeased by it.

Celestia stood from her throne, with a rare countenance of anger. “You put my ponies in great risk because of your foalish decisions! I need a serious explanation from you, Discord!”

The god broke his stance and taunted Celestia with a subtle face. “My dear Celestia, when have I ever been upfront with you?”

Luna raised her brow breaking away from her own frustration, but did not yet remove herself from her throne. “You have been upfront for others?”

Discord started with an expressionless face. Literally. In a split second Discord’s face was gone from his head, leaving only his mouth and a disturbing outlook. “Yes, yes I have.” Both Princesses blinked in response to the faceless being, only to see it whole again.

Their continuing silence did prompt Discord to continue, “Think of it as a privilege. You will always get the more cryptic version of my words.”

Celestia kept her voice firm, and took a step towards him. “ I wouldn't rest on those laurels! It only delays the inevitable truth!”

Discord waved a talon at her playfully, whilst laying on a mattress of fresh laurel bushes. “Be careful Celly! The truth can be nothing more than powerful lies!” He looked at Luna directly and narrowed his eyes. “History has proven that.”

Luna now stood from her throne, angry that Discord would suggest at her past. “Enough! Tell us why you–!” She stopped, but not by her own accord. Looking down, Luna saw that she was silenced by a clam kissing her lips. It was not a bite, but a kiss. Despite the physical incompatibility of the mollusk doing so. The salty texture imprinted onto Luna’s mouth, and she reacted appropriately with outright disgust. “Blech!”

Discord was now holding a bucket of sentient clams while wearing a carnival hat. Appropriate music from seemingly nowhere and a Coney-Island accent also came with it. “I shall pull a clam from this bucket; the pearl of truth you search for may be inside it.” Before they could object, Discord reached in, a random clam was pulled from the bucket.

It opened with a celebratory cheer in a deep manly tone, “Congratulations!” Indeed, inside was a perfect pearl, in all it’s glory. Discord looked at the clam, as if it had just stabbed him in the back. The clam said nothing more. The other clams in the bucket cheered in celebration while also throwing some confetti.

Celestia relaxed a bit, knowing the conversation was changing in her favor by pure luck. Yet, she refused to let her guard down. “At least be true to your word.”

Disgruntled, he complied, and threw the bucket behind him where it landed on a poor guard’s head. The clams inside the bucket began attacking the stallion, and one of them shouted, “Attaquer mes frères!”

Discord did not pay heed to the fighting, and instead slithered forward closer to the royals. “I thought it would be fun to teach Twilight a lesson using a little motivation from her, quote, ‘cuddle-tickle buddy.’ And so far I have no regrets in that endeavor.” He crossed his arms and looked away dismissively. “This issue is within Twilight’s jurisdiction. Neither of you can just step in and magically fix this!”

The clams were putting up a fair fight against the royal guard, who was quickly getting overwhelmed, but his pride prevented an outcry for help. Understandable, since no horse would easily admit that they were beaten by seafood. The other unicorn guard standing at the right side of the door looked on in amusement.

Luna began to trot slowly forward, her focus on Discord rather than the fighting. “Who’s to say we can’t?”

Discord leaned forward confidently. “Is Twilight less than the crown you gave her?” He saw a tinge of guilt appear on their faces, and smiled. “You should know that she would feel dejected if some other princess solved a problem in her own town.”

Meanwhile, the clams had stolen the guard’s spear, and were now beating down on the flailing pony.

Celestia refused to let her frustration overtake her with visible restraint. “That is not why you’re here! What lesson are you trying to teach?!”

Discord made a bold move, by means of turning his back toward them completely as if he were ready to walk out of the room. “I’m teaching her what you couldn't.”

Celestia spoke with great interest as to what he would say next. “What would that be?” Luna was too silently asking the same question.

Discord knew he had the edge. “It’s quite ironic really. An art that neither of you enjoy using yourselves, given the honest nature you both possess.” He turned around, wearing an old fashioned formal white wig, monocle, and a french mustache. “Politics! The art of sweet talk and white lies, if you will!”

Celestia narrowed her eyes. “Why? In this way?”

Discord suddenly appeared between both sisters in a poof of confetti, and put an arm around each of them. He was very up beat all of the sudden. “Hahaha!” He pulled both royals closer to his face, as if he were to whisper the answer. “Because I'm Discord! HA-HA-HA!” In a puff of cotton candy, he was gone.

The guard was now tied up in a corner with his head down in defeat. The unicorn guard had incapacitated the enemy clams with levitation, and looked at his partner with humorous pity.

AppleJack trotted towards her house having stored another cart of fresh apples. Precious time was lost due to recent events, and because of that she just couldn't put off any more work. That said, she knew well enough not to overwork herself.

Upon entering the kitchen, she saw Granny Smith heaving a small sack of flour onto the countertop. “Hold-on there granny!” Trotting over, AJ took the weight of the sack off of granny. “Lemme help ya with that.” Effortlessly, she placed the sack on the countertop.

Granny smiled out of appreciation, “Thank ya kindly.” Her face softened into a sadder state. “Ah’m getin ta the point where ah can't even lift a sack of flour…”

AppleJack frowned. “Now don’t ya start sayin things like tha-”

Granny dismissed AJ’s concern with a wave of a hoof. “Now hush there. It’s all part of bein’ old.” She trotted over to a cupboard to retrieve some spices.

AppleJack shifted uncomfortably toward the sink. “Yeah, uh, have ya seen AppleBloom?”

“Oh! I sent the young’in out ta play in her tree house, why?”

AppleJack then rolled her eyes and went to a nearby cabinent to grab a glass.. “She supposed ta be workin’!” She growled, “Ever since the giant incident–”

All of a sudden Granny Smith whipped around from her spot in the cabinet. “Now look here! Ah dont’ want no talk about that thing! It’s bad luck ta talk about that kinda stuff!” She emphasized this by stomping her hoof.

“Bad luck?” AppleJack stopped short of grabbing a glass and glanced over at Granny.

Granny turned back around quickly to retrieve the ingredients she had pinpointed earlier. “Gossip like that never brought this family any good!” She said, “So it’s best ya’ll stay out of it!” She paused to handle the spices and to place them next to the flour. AJ had just poured her drink from the tap. “The only time ah want ta hear of it, is if the thing is romp’in around our acres!”

AJ folded back her ears in slight surprise at Smith’s conservative position. “A-Alright, Granny. Eh…Ah won’t” She swallowed the whole glass of water in one gulp. “A–Ah’m gona go look fer AppleBloom.”

Granny was focused on baking the apple pastry, and didn't even glance at AJ. “Alright, don't over work yerself out there!”

AppleJack trotted off at a brisk pace toward the clubhouse, feeling conflicted about what she had just learned. On her way through the acres though, she began to voice her concerns out loud. “Feels kinda weird ta keep the truth from her...and Ah’d never guess she’d feel that way…” Her trot went into auto-pilot as the gears in her head churned away. “Ah mean, she can be a tide-bit closed minded, but still, Barin’s mah friend…”

Her train of thought derailed when her head acquainted itself with the bark of a tree. “Oof!” She fell on her rump and sat there for a moment before an apple crashed down on her head.

After shaking off the encounter she glared at the tree and stood back up. Bothered by her previous words, Applejack shook her head and moved on. “That wouldn't feel right,” She said, “going against him no matter how little we know about each other...We're still friends...but mah family is family, even if it is just Granny Smith, as far as ah know anyway...” She grumbled in frustration. “Got butterflies in my darn chest talking ‘bout this…”

Suddenly, AppleJack heard a deep noise. THUD! “...Wait…” She heard it again, and felt the ground shake lightly beneath her hooves THUD! “...Ah know that stomp’in sound…” THUD! With that, her body sprang into motion.“AppleBloom! AppleBloom!!” Trees whizzed by her vision as the noise became louder, and louder. “Apple-Bloom!!” She continued to run, before jumping over a bush in front of the treehouse clearing was. “Appl-l-l-what now!?”

What she saw took a few moments to register. AppleBloom, Sweetie Bell, and Scootaloo were all playing around a pair of giant hands like it was a jungle gym. The owner of the hands was none other than Barin, who was lying on his back watching the fillies play on his stomach and chest. He was also “carefully” shifting his legs and lower body into a comfortable position. THUD!

To Barin, the fillies were delicately small, but the smile on his face implied he was enjoying himself. The three of them bounced on the stomach flexing from his breathing, and romped around the fingers and hands like it was a constantly changing playground.

AppleJack just stood there, absorbing the sight at first, before realizing the irrisponsibility at hoof. She announced her presence with an authoritative tone. “AppleBloom!” She saw the three of them freeze and shoot their heads in her direction. Barin’s reaction was similar, but much more lax. “Come here, young mare!”

AppleBloom was cupped in Barin’s right hand at that moment, which allowed him to conveniently lower her onto the ground. She mumbled something under her breath too quietly for her sister to hear, but retained a respectable demeanor once in front of AppleJack. “Yes?”

AppleJack raised an eyebrow.

AppleBloom glanced down defensively. “Well, we were playing in the clubhouse when Barin show–”

“Hold the hay!” Applebloom flinched, startled by her sisters sudden interruption. “How do ya’ll know his name?” She asked looking at her suspiciously.

AppleBloom’s voice became more authoritative. “He politely introduced himself! He even knows our names now!”

“How long’s he been here?” AJ said motioning her head towards Barin who waved innocently.

AB reverted to her meek state and shuffled her hooves. “Ah dunno, a few hours ah guess...”

AJ rubbed her temple with a hoof. “Look, Granny made a mistake, ‘cause Ah still need ya back at the barn.” The other two fillies had climbed off Barin and trotted over to AppleBloom’s side. “Now you two should git home, but you be careful about how ya’ll describe this to yer parents.” She then glared at Barin, he looked confused. “You!” She pointed. “You and Ah need ta talk!”

Sweetie Belle looked back at her newfound friend. “How do you know him?”

“That’s none of your concern!” Apple jack said stepping passed her, before she waved the fillies off. “Now you girls go!”

Once Barin saw the fillies start to depart, he gave a basic farewell, a small smile filled wave. “Good–Bye AppleBloom, Sweetie Belle, Scoot-alo.”

The fillies waved back before trotting off into the acres.

Barin looked back to the defensive sister who was staring at him intensely. “Hello, Appru–Jack.” He said turning himself around so that they were face to face.

As much as AJ was unhappy with having her land invaded, she did enjoy seeing her friend again. “Well, hello yerself.” She trotted closer to his face and sat down. “Ah see you’ve gotten yerself in quite a comfortable spot,” She smiled, “the grass here is mighty soft.”

“...”

“Ah would appreciate it in the future if ya tell me ahead of time before ya come here and knockin’ over all mah trees.”

The two sat in a brief silence. “...You have a lovely daughter. Or daughters, I can't be sure. They remind me of my young cousin, in a strange way.” Barin’s voice was surreal, and his breath had a light orange scent.

AppleJack didn't know what he said, but she knew what that smell was, and it only made her smile widen. “Ya still have that candy? The stuff’s good, wont deny that–Woah now!” Barin carefully lifted her onto his chest, and of course began to pet her. Not before gently removing her hat though. “Hey–y, ya be careful with that!” He set it next to her. “It’s mah favorite!”

You have an accent, I can tell. The way you talk, it’s much different than the others, and it’s harder to understand.” He carefully stroked her mane and tail, the stress melting away from the mare’s tired muscles as he did so. “A farmer. An apple farmer with a sense of parenthood, good for you.”

Releasing a blissful sigh, AppleJack knew it was fruitless to resist, but also knew that work still needed to be done. “Maybe, just five minutes…” She made herself comfortable by laying on her right side, and closing her eyes. Feeling his chest heave air, and hearing it to a degree with her right ear being pressed to his skin. “Ya still have that, shovel–axe thing? I can't believe ah drooled over your tool like that when ah first saw it....” She then paused, opened her eyes wide, and blushed. “Ah should have Big-Mac slap me fer sayin that–heck let alone think about it that way!”

“You talk a lot,” Barin said looking down at her, he snorted, “then again I’m not getting much of my own words across either.”

AJ began to relax again to the strokes of his hand. “Granny Smith’s gonna flip when she hears what AppleBloom says…” She then tensed up slightly. “Granny...She’ll like ya fer sure, so long as my sister don’t mess it up.” The hand came back for another stroke, but AJ stopped it by lifting her head up and leaning into the palm. “Yer an honest–ta–goodness, gentle giant. Granny will take ta ya like apples and peanut-butter.”

“Awww!”

Like lightning, AppleJack was standing up looking for the intruder. “Wha?! Who’s–?” Rarity had just entered, beholding the sight by the embarrassed farmer.

Rarity giggled seeing her friend like that. “AppleJack, I’m flabbergasted! I’ve never heard something that sincere leave your mouth!”

AppleJack nervously put her hat back on. “Well, eh, ah, uh…”

Rarity waved her hoof playfully. “Oh don't frazzle yourself! He is a sweet thing after all.” She became puzzled as AJ hopped down from Barin’s chest. “But how, and better yet when, did he get here?”

AppleJack rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. “Welp, Ah assume he walked here the long way round. It is pretty private this deep into the acres, but as fer how long, your guess is as good as mine. Ah found him playing with the Crusaders.”

Rarity widened her eyes at that. “Oh my! How did that work out?”

AJ could see the concern in her eyes. “They're fine, he’s actually quite good with them.”

Rarity relaxed. “Oh, well.” She looked at Barin, who was staring up at the clouds peacefully. “He is surprisingly gentle, albeit unpredictable at times.”

AppleJack’s ears perked straight up as she remembered something important. “That reminds me, how did Twilight’s speech go? I wasn’t there.”

Rarity instantly wore a look of concern and uncertainty. “Ah, that…”

AppleJack looked at Rarity with surprise. “That bad?”

Rarity shifted her hooves uncomfortably, “No, no. Not bad per se, just...could have been better.”

Applejack shook her head and frowned. “Ah still don't like the sound of that.”

“I-It, well.” Rarity sighed. “Her delivery was fine, a bit shaky at the start, but she recovered. The big mistake she made was to accept questions…”

AppleJack leaned back against a tree and let out an uneasy breath. “She told the truth didn’t she?” Rarity winced slightly and stared AJ in the eyes. For moment the two were matched in a staring contest. Finally, Rarity broke eye contact and gazed at the ground.“Flying-Feather!” Applejack cursed and stomped her hooves. “Don’t ya’ll know how much damage that could do, or did?!?”

“I have no clue.” Rarity shrugged and turned away briefly. “As much as I asked, Twilight just flew off to somewhere, mumbling about something.” She put her hoof to her chin. “I believe she mentioned the E.B.A, do you know who they are?”

AppleJack scratched her head. “Maybe...Aren't they those super sciencey ponies?”

Rarity shrugged. “Your guess is as good as mine.” A deep breath admitted from behind the ponies. AJ briefly looked over her shoulder

Barin had closed his eyes to enjoy the peace of the open area. The soft wind, and equally soft grass. Sadly, the only thing missing was silence, but he found no fair reason to complain. “I need only one thing at this point, a fresh glass of Jack Daniels, and maybe a cheeseburger.”

AppleJack sighed heavily, the weight of the news she had just received had just stacked even more stress onto her day. “Ok, we should address this today, this could be really bad!”

Rarity patted AJ on the shoulder. “I know dear, and I already have a plan! We will meet up at Fluttershy’s this afternoon to do just that!”

“Well, okay.” Apple jack nodded. “But somepony needs ta keep an eye on this guy!” She pointed at Barin. “He needs ta get back ta the castle.”

Rarity straightened her posture, putting hoof to her chest proudly, she proclaimed, “I’ll be with him for the rest of the day, my store is closed, and Sweetie Belle will be with her parents!”

AppleJack’s looked at Rarity in disbelief. “Rarity, you’ll have ta travel through the Everfree Forest ta git anywhere, ya know that?”

Rarity brushed her hair to the side daintily. “It’s not all day, just for a few hours. I can handle this.” She placed her hoof to AppleJacks chest. “Trust me, dear.”

AppleJack still visibly doubted this plan. “Well, if ya say so.” She gave a humerous smile. “You’d better know what ya’ve gotton yerself into.” She turned around. “Now Ah need ta catch up with AppleBloom and her friends, but when I come back he better not be here!” She galloped away, not bothering to wait for a response.

Rarity waved to the farmer as she galloped away before confronting Barin. “Well, you and I will be stuck together for some time.” She approached him. “But time is still of the essence!” She stared at his calm figure. “Now then, if I recall correctly, you should obey basic commands.” She raised her voice “Barin!”

He opened one eye and looked at her “Hmmm?”

Rarity gave her order with prissy authority. “Would you kindly stand?”

Barin mumbled and groaned as he slowly he sat up, allowing the blood to settle away from his head, before performing a small series of arm stretches. With a grunt, he pushed himself up to a standing position, followed by more stretching. He then looked at Rarity as if to say, “Well, you got me up.”

The unicorn smiled, and even giggled. The illusion of having a powerful giant at one’s command was infectious. “Would you kindly, and gently, pick me up?”

Barin sighed and rested his hands on his knees for another few stretches.

Rarity sighed. “Twilight didn't teach you the command for that did she?” The only response she got was a mere glance. Barin was just waiting for her to say a keyword or command. “Hm,” Rarity tapped her hoof to her chin a few times. “how does Pinkie do it?” She gave a flat expression as the answer slapped her in the head. Sitting on her rump, Rarity opened up her forelegs as if asking for a hug from the giant. She grumbled under her breath, “I can feel my dignity dissolving.”

What Barin did next surprised her. Taking to one knee, he then lowered his right hand down onto the ground palm–up, as if presenting it to her. Taken back by this formal behavior, but competent nonetheless, Rarity gingerly stepped on. Akin to an elevator, she rose quickly and steadily as the man stood back up to full height while raising the pony to chest level.

Rarity stood still, letting the light adrenaline rush leave peacefully, before turning around to get her bearings. “Oh my!” The view was an impressive overlook of the trees in the area stretching as far as her eyes could see. The sun was barely hanging westward, and at this elevation its rays gave the land an intense golden glow. Rarity could feel that the air was cooler, caused by a breeze she couldn’t have felt before. “Is this what you see?” She asked Barin her eyes marveling over the scenery. “It is simply marvelous!”

She looked back up at Barin with an anxious expression only to see a bored face stare back at her, not able to understand or appreciate the perspective change she was experiencing. He sounded annoyed. “Come on, I haven't got all day.”

This part Rarity had thought through. She faced forward, and with a little bit of magic and concentration, manifested a translucent arrow hovering over her head, pointing forward. She looked back confidently at Barin to see his reaction, and in doing so the arrow followed her head movement. “Twilight managed to teach me some illusionary spells!” She shrugged. “Not a lot, granted, but some regardless!”

Barin’s human instinct told him to do one thing before anything else happened. He raised his other hand, and touched the arrow. The image flickered and jerked, but otherwise remained projected. Rarity however, felt the jerk of the image, and the sensation it created was not pleasant. “Ah!” She swatted at the fingers. “You keep those things away from my arrow!” Barin got the message as he slowly put his hand aside.

Rarity then looked forward. “All you need to do is go where I point it!” Barin did not move. “Uh, would you kindly move forward?”

Barin repeated the keyword back to Rarity. “Forward?”

At this point Rarity was getting impatient. “Yes! Forward!”

The breeze increased in intensity from the speed of which the long legs of the man carried her. Complemented with the view and a small sense of joy from the whole ride, Rarity quickly grew a smile. One that stuck to her face most of the way back to the castle.

At some point, Barin knew where she wanted him to go based on familiarity with the path homeward. By that time they had been walking for thirty minutes as the Everfree ruins were not only deep within the forest, but getting to said forest was in itself a decent walk, given that Barin was forced to steer clear of the town in order to avoid getting spotted.

To think that Barin held Rarity in his hands for that length of time would be false, because his arms had gotten tired of holding her up. There was a point in which Rarity was squeezed into his left pocket. Due to the pocket being jam packed full of other things, and that jeans aren't very elastic. The Unicorn groaned with discomfort as she tried to stretch her limbs.. “My tail better not be ruined after this...and what’s that smell?” She looked up at Barin expecting a response.

Barin gave a gentle finger rub to her neck and a cheerful smile. “Little Pocket Pony, heh heh.” At that point Rarity thought it best to just sit there, ignore the smell of what was hopefully sweat, and enjoy the trip while she could.

Her rest was interrupted when Barin slowly rubbed his finger along Rarity’s belly to alert her of their arrival. They were now inside the dining hall of the castle, or to be more appropriate, Barin’s den. Rarity giggled and squirmed as much as she could. “Hm! Haha-Stop that!” Barin did notice her reaction to his finger tickling her through the jeans. It goes without saying that he began to exploit this immediately.

He rummaged his fingers across the pocket in a fashion that tickled the unicorn’s belly, and combined with the cramped confines of the pocket, Rarity was left defenseless against this attack. “Haha!-No!-Bwhahaha!” She hopelessly flailed. “Hahah-Please!-Haha-a!” Showing mercy, he ceased the torment, and gently started to pull her out of the pocket.

Needless to say, Rarity wasn't happy. “What is it with you and tickling us into hysterics?!” She growled, “If you so try as to give me a belly–raspberry, then by Celestia I will–!” She gasped in horror as upon touching the ground she could see her tail bent out of shape from being confined to the pocket, and by instinct she then felt her mane, the flailing from earlier had ruined it as well.

Rarity stood there, in silence, partly regretting her voluntary decision to come out to the ruins, when Barin placed his mirror in front of her. This only confirmed her suspicions about her mane and tail.

“Barin, sorry.” Rarity could hear the sincerity in his voice. This surprised her, and seemed to suggest that Barin understood, to a degree, that her appearance was important.

Under any other circumstances, a mere “sorry” would not be enough of an apology for ruining a lady’s hair. However, this was a sincere sorry, one that a gentleman would give. Of course, any other gentleman would use a more advanced vocabulary, but that wasn't something to hold against him.

Rarity released the rage that was building in the form of a heavy sigh, “Well, apology accepted.” She looked away from the mirror and up to Barin with a sincere smile. “I’m grateful that you understand. It’s difficult to find somepony who can.”

An hour had passed since that event, and during that time Barin had put away the mirror and then started tending to survival needs like fire and water. Rarity decided to roam the palace in hopes to further maintain it’s dreary makeover done by herself and friends.

After completing his chores Barin laid down on his bed with his sketch pad. Once Rarity returned she made her way over to him and climbed onto his chest, while using her magic to fix her mane and tail as best as possible. There were only four noises at that point; one being the sound Barin’s breath, the other was the crackling of the fire, Rarity’s magic, and the last was Barin’s pencil sketching across the note pad paper.

Then, by chance, Rarity noticed Barin barely moving the note pad to catch a glimpse of her, the behavior was not unlike one of an artist glancing at a reference model. Naturally, this was the first thought that came out of Rarity’s mouth, which was curved upward in a smirk. “What are you doing? Or should I ask, who are you drawing?” Barin gave no response to that. So Rarity decided to answer the question herself.

Barin did not lower the pad, even though he could feel hooves moving up his chest. Rarity then approached his left hand, the one holding the pad upright, and gently nudged it with her hoof. The pencil suddenly stopped scribbling, and moved over to the inquisitive mare. Using the eraser end of the pencil, Rarity was carefully pushed back a couple feet. Despite her scoffing of disapproval. Still determined to see what he was drawing, she then stomped back up to the supporting hand, and gave it a harder nudge. In doing this, she accidentally poked his hand with her horn.

Instinctually, Barin hissed and jerked his hand back in pain, the pad fell forward, and Rarity immediately was scolding herself for such an act.

Barin glared at Rarity, a look that was soon followed by his hand hovering above her. She could see Barin’s gears turn in his head. Then, his fingers slowly clenched into a fist before slowly receding and resting back by his side. Released a sigh, letting the pressure go. “I will not treat you like I did Twilight,” He said looking straight ahead, “you–no. No one deserves that. Except for Twilight.”

He gave a quick inspection of his left hand, the poke left no mark, thankfully. However, his anger did, leaving Rarity repentant. “Oh my! I am so, sorry! I-P-Please!” She was silenced by a sudden finger over her lips which made her nearly jump out of her coat. Leaving her only to apologise via big, round puppy eyes.

Barin sighed and gently sat up, causing Rarity to slide down his shirt onto his jeans unharmed, but shaken. He then rested his sketch pad on his other leg, displaying what he was drawing toward Rarity.

The drawing was an impressive sketch of Rarity.

The drawing was of her laying down tending to her mane and tail like she had been doing. The sketch wasn't bad, in fact it was admirable. Despite being done in pencil the shading was well placed and gave the picture depth, and the overall outline of the unicorn and the magic around her was impressively transferred. However, the obvious flaw was a long uneven line that was now slashed across her face. A consequence of Barin’s painful recoil.

To say the least, Rarity was flattered. “This is absolutely wonderful!” She blushed a little bit. “I-I’ve not had a portrait done in a long time...” She trotted closer for inspection. “Painting a picture is one thing, but quality artwork done in pure pencil takes a lot of practice!” She looked up apologetically again at Barin. “I’m sorry I caused your hand to slip, but it still is a marvelous drawing! Is this your profession? Artwork?”

He didn't answer, and instead flipped the page to reveal another drawing, this one of Discord posing in a formal standing position, while wearing a comical handle bar mustache and holding a small wooden box. For some reason, the mustache was colored pink. Likely Discord’s own doing.

Another drawing was not of a horse nor any creature at all, but of a house. The drawing wasn't artistic, but constructional. Rarity couldn't read the symbols strew across the paper, but they were clearly some form of blueprints.

The next photo was similar, but looked familiar. It was a large square room looked down upon from a bird’s eye view. Again symbols were dotted across the page, but the layout of the furniture was familiar. “It’s this room! A layout of the Dining Hall!”

Page after page, some were artworks, but many others were blueprint sketches of houses, towers, frames, or furniture. One of them in particular was a luxury two story house that looked as expensive as it was beautiful. “Not an artist, but more of an architect!”

Previously, little was known about his past, but this revealed that Barin did have a profession. Rarity looked at Barin in her excitement, as if he would share the joy she derived with this new found knowledge. Instead, she found his stare vacant, and that his lower lip was lightly shaking. No, quivering. Rarity looked to see what he was looking at.

On the sketchpad was a drawing of three creatures that resembled something a lot like Barin. Rarity squinted her eyes, the dim light from the fire making it slightly harder to see. The creature in the middle was Barin, though, he looked slightly different than he does now. Rarity casted a quick glance at the giant, taking note that he’s a lot cleaner in the image. Returning to the drawing she saw, on either side of Barin, in the image, were two more giants that were a lot larger and older looking than him. The one on the right was wide and had well, toned out muscles. On its head was only a small patch of hair that looked to be falling out, and on its face was pair of thick rimmed glasses that looked a lot like Barin’s. The creature had very wide smile and its arm was wrapped tightly around Barin’s shoulders as if it was trying to pull him in close.

On the left side was another older creature that appeared to differ from the two Rarity had already seen. This one was smaller, and appeared to be much softer in appearance, almost feminine if she had to put in a word for it. Its hair was short, only stopping just a little bit past what looked like ears. The small smile on its face was very genuine and calming, same went for its small, gorgeous eyes. It was leaning forward, like the one on the right, but instead of putting Barin into some sort of head lock. Its small, skinny arms were holding him by the waist, and if Rarity had to guess, it looked as if all three of them were looking right at her.

The image itself was truly something, she could tell that a lot of work had been put into this. The edges around each line were clean and sharp, not a smudge nor a smear could be seen. The details were fine and the patches of hair, along with the fabric on the clothing, were astounding. Despite the fact that it was all done in pencil, it looked like to have been done with a black and white camera.

Rarity looked more closely at the older beings. “These are your parents, I presume.” She asked softly before looking at Barin. “Do they know that you’re here?”

Rarity received no answer. Aside from a single tear that glistened in the light of the fire and slowly drifted down his cheek and onto the page below.

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank Dark Nebula for helping me with this last scene, he is a damn good editor.

Please leave constructive criticism below!