• Published 31st May 2014
  • 37,423 Views, 987 Comments

Walking Giant - Gairenard



When a man finds trees tall as his waist and an ancient castle with furniture much too small for him; he comes across the inhabitants of the new world. The thing is, he can hold one of them in the palm of his hand.

  • ...
71
 987
 37,423

Rumors

Rumors

A yellow ball bounced off the wooden floor. From there it hit the wooden wall perfectly between two bookcases. Finally, it ricocheted towards its starting point. Spike caught the ball, then threw it again. Back and forth; to the floor, then the wall, then his claw.

Spike was bored out of his mind. Once again Twilight was off on her trip to see Barin. The first week she did this, Spike found himself able to finally have some alone time on a regular basis, and break the household rules on a regular basis. At this point, there was nothing left to do but play ball in the house. A dull sport in itself.

Spike made this evident in the best sarcastic voice he could make. “I’m having sooo much fun.” – the ball was caught one more time – “breaking the rules…” He looked to the clock at his right, and saw it was ten minutes ‘til ten. A smile broke out on the once-flat expression.

Spike stood up and dusted himself off. He stretched his back, eliciting a crackle from the lower spine, and made his way slowly to the door. Once he reached the exit, Spike opened the door and carelessly threw the ball over his shoulder just as the door closed.

Inside, the ball bounced off the floor, onto a table, and into the decorative horse head statue. The dragon left unaware of this.

The baby dragon took a moment to inhale a deep breath and felt the outside air fill his lungs. Letting the breath out, Spike began to briskly walk through Ponyville under a clear, blue sky. He was heading toward Sugarcube corner for lunch with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, and Rarity. The dragon was often hanging out with the other Elements as of late, with what Twilight being out.

The lunch break rush was in full swing. Ponies took time to chat about the morning, and use what little time given to relax before the evening shift. The shopping district of town was bustling with ponies holding drinks, sandwiches, and conversation. There was an air of positive urgency as Spike occasionally waved to those who said a quick “hello”.

Sugarcube Corner was, therefore, in full swing. Serving sweets and baking treats for the customers that came pouring in. Spike approached the bakery craving for a candy crunch shake, but seeing a line poking out of the storefront made him hesitant.

Spike entered the bakery before his nose suddenly hit a wall of sweet smells. He saw many ponies casually sitting down at tables, each one holding happy chatter. However, none among them were his friends, but that did not concern him in the slightest. Mrs. Cake spotted the new visitor while talking with a customer, but instead of breaking conversation, she threw a subtle nod in Spike’s direction. He happily returned it.

He knew where the girls were, they were up the stairs in the privacy of Pinkie’s room. Spike scampered past the crowd and up the mentioned steps until he saw Pinkie’s door open ajar.

As he stepped inside, Rarity and Rainbow Dash were both having small talk with each other at a table set for four. Spike calmly approached this table, since he knew that Twilight wasn't there to intervene with any advances on his love interest. With Twilight out and about so often, Spike had much more time to spend with Rarity than normal. At this point, he was starting to feel more emotionally stable around her.

It wasn't often Rainbow actually made small talk other than the usual bouts of arrogance. That, and the words ‘small talk’ are relatively unfitting to describe her typical speech patterns. However, when she did speak like that was always about something good. Spike’s ears were open and he decided to eavesdrop. The pair were highly engaged and spoke with hushed tones.

“They said it was some kind of guardian...”

Rainbow was having a flower sandwich of some variety, but most of it was gone.

Rarity seemed intrigued, yet unsurprised. “A customer told me that it protects the secrets within the castle, and she claims to have heard it from a corn vendor.”

Instantly Spike’s curiosity took over. “What are you two talking about?”

Both looked up, startled, as if caught whispering secrets, but when they saw that it was Spike, they relaxed. Rarity took the liberty of moving a chair to seat him down. “Hello, Spikey! Rainbow and I were just chatting about a few rumors…”

“Rumors?” Spike hopped onto the seat. “Again I ask, what about?”

Rainbow leaned forward and whispered, her eyes darting side to side. “There are rumors about a giant in the Everfree Forest floating around town…”

Rarity followed suit. “And by the looks of things, it’s spreading like wildfire.”

Spike was pretty sure that Barin was the giant in question, but he wanted to be sure just in case. He spoke with his own hushed tone, “Are we talking about the giant that loomes inside the abandoned castle?”

Both nodded in response. Suddenly, the bedroom door closed and a tired but happy Pinkie wiped a bead of sweat from her brow with a tray of shakes perfectly balanced on her tail. “Whew! We almost ran out of goodies that time!”

Quickly she hopped over the group, with her tail keeping the shakes stable. “Glad you three could join me on my break!”

Rarity distributed the glasses just as Pinkie sat down. “Of course, dear. It’s about time we did something like this.”

Spike, however, was still slightly confused. “So...rumors about him are spreading around?”

Rainbow started talking normally again, knowing the crowd downstairs was gone. “I know! I had the same reaction the first time somepony told me. Now it’s all I hear about from my fliers!”

Pinkie instantly began spewing her own experiences. “The rush hour customers kept talking about it in line! They say that he is sworn to protect the castle, but will let ponies enter if their quest is r-r-righteous!” She had rolled the ‘r’.

Rainbow felt unamused by the last sentence. “ ‘Only if their quest is righteous?’ Sounds like something out of Daring Do, and even then the stories aren't that cheesy.”

Rarity made a good point. “If you ask me, it sounds like these rumors are giving Barin a...legend-like reputation, which is most...?”

The conversation would have continued if there was not a distraction at the table. Pinkie had started sucking down her shake, but hadn't yet stopped to swallow. Half a shake, and counting, resided inside Pinkies bulging mouth. She looked left and right at the onlookers as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

With only a third of the liquid left, she swallowed, and an unnaturally large bulge passed down her neck. “What? Is there something on my face?”

Rainbow was yet again blown away by Pinkie’s gluttony. “How do you do that?!”

Pinkie did not know what was so amazing about her habit. “Whattaya mean?”

“Pinkie, I’m not joking here!”

“If you’re referring to my swallowing, then I suggest reading an anatomy book.”

“Do you not have a killer brain freeze?!”

“What’s a brain freeze?”

SLAM

With Rainbow’s face embedded in the table, Spike decided how he would spend the rest of his day. “Well, I’ll ask around town and look into these rumors.”

Rarity sipped from her shake with care before she asked, “Spikey, also try to find out who started them. I have my suspicions, but I want to see what you come up with first.”

Pinkie poked at Rainbow’s head. “Rainbow?” – Poke – “you alright?” – Poke – “Wake up, sleepy head!”

Spike decided to talk about other things. “So, how was Barin yesterday?”

Rarity sighed as memories of yesterday washed back to her. “It could have been better, he is doing okay, but I–”

That sigh was at the precise tone where Spike knew it wasn't a positive thing. “What happened?”

“Well... He was attacked by a king timberwolf and we had to help patch his wounds.”

Pinkie was instantly concerned. “Oh poor guy! Why do those wolves always have to be such big meanies?” In a change of mood, she stood up from her chair quickly. “Why, if I ever see that wolf king then–” she raised her hoof somewhat threateningly before slamming it on the table “–POW! Right in the cupcake! Nopony hurts my favorite cuddle-tickle buddy!”

Spike felt confused, again. “Favorite? That implies that there are other cuddle-tickle buddies.”

Pinkie pulled a paper pad out of seemingly nowhere. “I do have a list of cuddle-ticklers! And Barin is at the top.” She said this pointing to the top name.

Rarity continued. “Now, I did say ‘we’ when it was really Discord and Twilight. I should add that he and Discord are good friends now. I was patching up his shirt, which reminds me to order more black fabric–”

Pinkie had returned to her normal self, but seemed quite giddy at her next question. “Did he reward you?”

“If by reward, you mean pet...? Yes.”

Pinkie leaned forward. “How was it?”

Rarity started feeling a little sheepish. “...Fine…”

Rainbow’s muffled words came from the wood her face was still in. “So you enjoy it to the point that you won't admit it.”

Rarity softly blushed, but maintained a polite tone. “Quiet Rainbow, you’re supposed to be unconscious.” She sipped her drink and her eyes locked on Rainbow.

“I was never unconscious, it just that this table is very comfy once you dent your face in it.” The smart-alack sarcasm was dripping from her voice, yet it did beg the clear question of why her countenance was still planted on the wood.

Spike was continuing to be bewildered like the innocent youngling he was. “How does one ‘dent’ brittle wood?”

Rarity looked down at Rainbow, but spoke to Spike. “Not the table dear, her face. Which is why she won't pull up.”

“J-just my muzzle…”

Rarity sighed and stood up from her chair. “Well, Pinkie, it looks like I have to take Rainbow to the hospital.” Rainbow voiced a pain filled groan, or a muffled foal-like whine, it was hard to tell. Pinkie put a comforting hoof on her friend.

Spike stood up and prepared to depart before being stopped by Rarity. “Good luck Spikey-Wikey, I’m curious as to what you’ll find.”

The dragon smiled and waved, before rushing down the stairs and out of the building, avoiding the drama that Dash was likely voicing.

Spike decided to start with ponies who were known for their tall tales, the most obvious choice being Granny Smith. Spike made his way to Sweet Apple Acres with a pep in his step, because he loved getting involved with an affair that would be typically reserved for the Elements.

Knocking on the barn’s front door, Granny herself conveniently answered. “Hello? Oh, howdy Spike! Its not often I git ta see ya ‘round here!”

Spike did enjoy seeing Granny again, her old-coot self was charming in it’s own way. “Good to see you again, Granny! If its okay, I need to ask you something.”

“Sure thing. Fire away!”

“Have you been hearing any rumors lately about a giant in the Everfr–” His speech was cut off by Granny spouting passionately.

“Darn tootin ah have! Ah been hearin’ about it all dang mornin’! Apple Bloom and 'er little friends won’t stop yappin’ about it, and it’s driving me bonkers! They say it’s supposed to be some guardian of that ol’ abandoned castle out in the forest, a friend to those who respect its past and royalty.”

Spike sighed internally as he realized he triggered a rant accompanied by flailing hooves in a feeble attempt to emulate the stories. “It’s a creature of great strength, and it bears a heart of gold! That it wields a weapon of untold versatility, and wears clothes made by the finest makers of its time! The manticores fear it, and it will even fight a king timberwolf to protect the castle!”

She stopped for a breath, but Spike took this moment to ask another question. “Where did you hear all this?”

“They said they got the tales from an old book found in the attic. We have so much old stuff, ah forgit what we have. Here, ah’ll lend it to ya!”

She disappeared into her home for a few moments, before returning with an old ratty book. “Here ya are,”–she hoofed the book over to Spike–“but be careful with it, those pages are more delicate than a glass apple in winter!”

Spike blinked a few times into space, wondering if Sweet Apple Acres glass apples were even a thing. “Uh, yeah, thanks Granny!”

“No problem! Ya’ll can hold onto that for as long as you need it, but I gotta skedaddle. Apple-bucking day is coming up, and we here like to be prepared for extra surplus.”

“See you around Granny!”

“Same t' you!”

Spike felt quite proud of himself whilst walking away from the farm. He had already found the supposed origin of the rumors, and had his first insight into what the townsfolk may think of the giant. However, like Twilight, he knew that one result does not make for a solid conclusion.

And after all, three fillies couldn't have possibly spread a legend that fast just from quoting a book.

“Well, looks like if I want to get a good idea of what the town as a whole thinks of him, then I’ll have to ask some more ponies.” He then retrieved his emergency note-letter, for one never knows when Twilight comes up and needs to send or write down something.

Spike took another whiff of air, and stared into the blue sky, before declaring, “Time to take a survey!”

Twilight patiently nodded to Barin. “Again. Pi-c-ni-c.

Brain repeated the word. “Pi-enis.

The sound of a hoof making contact with a hard surface indicated that Twilight face-smacked herself with good force. “That’s...kinda gross, and how do you manage to mispronounce it like that is beyond me! Again! Slowly...

Barin sighed and tried again. “Pic-nic.

Good! Again.

Pic-nic

Again.

Picnic.

Twilight applauded with her hooves while hovering over Barin’s forehead. “Yes!

Barin looked over to the firepit. The morning had been colder than usual, so he moved the bed towards it in search of warmth. At this point in the day though, the flames were too much for him and he began to sweat. Carefully getting out of bed, Barin lifted the furniture away from the fire and dragged it over to his bag before laying down again. Twilight didn’t question his movements, and stayed well out of his way.

Twilight flew into his view with an intrigued face. Barin’s was flat. It was when she flew to his forehead again that he began to wonder what she was doing. He lifted a hand to grab her, but felt her hoof push ‘lightly’ against his palm.

“No,” was her simple demand. He could feel her breath on his palm, and pulled away. “I’m just taking a small sample…

He tried to pick her up a second time with similar results. “Barin, no!”

His ears picked the sound of clinking glass and a bag clip, which was not comforting. Being slightly superstitious, he quietly reached into his bag under the bed, and felt for his signal mirror. Meanwhile, he could hear her mumble words to herself.

Having retrieved the mirror, he lifted it to his chest, and tilted it until he could see Twilight.

She was softly hovering over his forehead like expected, but her saddlebag was strapped on and open. In her levitational grasp was a magnifying glass, and an upward facing syringe.

Naturally this set off a few red flags. Barin was never comfortable around needles for one thing, and furthermore his first thoughts revolved around some kind of unhealthy injection.

Barin jolted up from his bed and stood up, putting distance between himself and the princess. “What do you think you're doing!?”

Twilight didn't immediately pick up what was wrong. “What? I just wanted a sweat sample for composition testing.” She flew up to him again, but stopped when he held up his palm defensively.

No sy-syr-

Syringe?

Yes.

So...Yes, syringe?

No! No syringe!

This is silly! To you it’s a micro needle!

No. Syringe.

This is in the name of science!

He gently reached towards her, but stopped part way to avoid the needle. Twilight seemed fascinated by this, and put it away. “Trypanophobia? Really?

Barin carefully wrapped his hands around Twilight, who was humoring this odd fear of his. Slowly, and carefully, he made his situation clear. “No Syringes. Infinity.

Uhh...Yes…

Yes?

Yes. No syringe infinity.

As to show his appreciation of her promise, he scratched behind her ear.

She gladly accepted this attention. “Alright...alright…” She joggled her head to shake off the finger. “I need to get back to Ponyville, so same time tomorrow. Good-bye!

Goodbye Twilight!

In a flash of light, she was gone. Another day, another lesson.

Now he was alone. I wonder where she lives... Barin thought himself. There must be a nearby town or settlement of some variety.

This triggered a train of thoughts as he stared into blank space.

I wonder what it would look like… I can't tell if they have a high level of technology, or if they possess something greater. Regardless, how would I know where her home is?

Home…The only home I think about is my own. Such wishful thinking I’m sure…I will have no choice to do anything about it until I can properly communicate with my new friends…

That last sentence, while very true, left a sour taste in his mouth.

Barin’s sharpening stone slid across his shovaxe, repeatedly. Barin did not see it as a daily chore, for his hand moved across the edge in a gentle caress. After all, it was one of his sole surviving treasures from his home world.

Under his shirt, the bandages held tightly to his skin, and were constant reminders of the harsh world outside, as well as restraints to keep him inside.

Restraints. Keeping me from finding my way home.

An itch found its way to his neck. Barin reached upwards with a hand and scratched it, rubbing his fingers along the base of his chin he felt hair that was due for a good trim. Barin sighed deeply. Shaving with nothing more than soap and a pocket knife is not a skill he was well rehearsed in, but it was one he better start developing.

Thankfully, the signal mirror survived whatever ordeal that brought a human into this world. His hand grabbed the item from its pouch, and lifted it to Barin's face.

He saw a light layer of scruff on his features. His hair remained thick and black, and would continue to grow that way unless one could convince ponies to trim it. This trait also meant that it would stay relatively short.

His glasses matched his hair color. They were made of a smooth plastic, strong and durable as well. Thankfully the lenses were lasting well under the current circumstances.

Barin’s eyes were a dark brown. This color was useful in his occupation, not like it mattered much, and the skin was one that has seen the light of day for extended periods of time.

Eh. He lifted a hand with a layer of callus to feel the hair some more... Mom wasn’t lying when she said I looked just like dad. He gently rubbed the skin below his right eye. But at least I don’t share his scar... His arm fell back down to his side, his thoughts slowly drifting back home. He released an audible sigh, I hope he’s doing alright.

Barin snorted. He’s probably doing better than I am. He chuckled. I’m stuck in a world of Dungeons and Dragons where my friends are small adorable cuddle horses, a baby dragon, and a magical monstrosity.

Having the time to actually think about what had just come to mind. Barin laughed out loud. “Oh Jesus, I just might be going crazy...”

He drifted back into his thoughts. Its likely the search parties had given up by now.

Barin’s expression fell, his eyes widening at the revelation. Everyone’s going to be– or is devastated... Barin raised a hand and rested his head in his palm. I can’t even begin to imagine what the funeral is going to be like... what would there be in the casket? Grandfather's legacy was going to be mine! I can't even practice it here!

Everyone will think that I’ve finally joined my mother… Barin sniffed and ran a hand under his eye, it was wet. “Shit, mom, what have I done this time?” I wish she was here, she could probably make sense of all this…

Barin could feel himself tear up slightly again. Bah! I can't think about that! Anything else would be more positive…

He looked out the window in solem. Why me? Is this some kind of cruel joke delivered from God to smite me for...whatever bullshit he could come up with?

“Actually, that slightly offensive sentence might be a reasonable trigger.”

What difference does it make?

“The difference is my ability to keep it together.”

Mumph, easier said than done.

“Doesn't mean it can't be done.”

It’s still not going to be easy.

“Going to the town would be bad, like I said.”

But I can't. Stay. Here. Forever!

“And I won’t. I can be civilized and patient like I have been.”

So...How long until I find out that I can’t get home?

“I’m expected to agree with that prospect?”

What? I’m just being realistic…

“No, I’m being ludicrous.”

...Is that even an appropriate word for this?

“Yes...yes it is.”

How do I know?

“Who will question me?”

I will.

“I will question myself?”

Yes, I will. Who else will question me? The ponies?

“I value their opinions...”

Do I?

“Of course! The’re my friends!”

How do you know that?

“T-This doesn't feel like questioning.”

Then what am I doing!?

“I am arguing! With myself!”

CLANG

Inadvertently he had pushed his shovaxe off his lap, where it came down to the floor in a crash.

I am my only human company in this...Damned world! I am my only true salvation!

“No! I am Barin Crosby! A proud blue collar who is NOT going to go insane today! Correct!?” He shouted at the campfire before him, as if it were the other end of the conversation.

...A blue collar with good pay and a sense of respect and courtesy towards friends. It’s why I became successful.

“I have my family to credit for that.”

My personality is just as important. People like working with me.

“That’s what I want to think, and from what I know it is true…”

The mirror was, at this point, flat on his lap. Barin quietly grumbled to himself and begrudgingly tried to refocus on the original task at hand, shaving, in hopes of pushing the ordeal aside.

Under normal circumstances, he would go to the river to shave, but his newest companion, Discord, had given him a bucket of fresh water to scale. From there, Barin proceeded to lean the mirror against the shovel on the bed as a stand, retrieving his thermos, soap, and knife; he finally got to his knees to shave.

Shaving with a plain blade is considered by many a skill to be professional. Back at home, his preferred barber used manual shavers and good ol’ scissors. Having watched that barber work on his face many times, he had gotten a fair idea of how to do it. Of course, ideas of how to do something is not the same as actually doing it.

It wasn't the first time he had tried this, but it was only by beginners luck that his face wasn't cut more than it was.

Once his face had been rid of shrubbery, he rinsed the blade with more thermos water, and then rinsed his face.

Using a tarp, Barin wiped up the mess on his bed and floor as best he could, before drying his face with what clean parts of the tarp were left. Bundling up the cloth, he tossed it at a spot in the side of the hall deemed to be the laundry pile. It was a general area that any dirty clothes and tarps would be thrown at, much like his laundry basket at home.

In both cases, a pile of laundry formed at the esteemed location on the floor rather than in a container.

His tarp made a soft plop at the outside ring of the zone, before Barin heard someone cough. It was a polite, but induced cough, made to inform one’s presence.

To Barin’s surprise, Discord and two other princesses were waiting patiently at his archway.

Discord spoke with mirth. “Hello Barin! I thought me and the princesses could have a picnic in memory lane.”

With only the words ‘Hello, Barin, princess, and picnic’, he knew why they were here.

Confusion of the unexpected visit gone, he smiled at the return of his insane companion. He gestured to the salvaged dining table at the far side of the room. “Sit, friends.”

Not one to refuse a giant’s hospitality, Discord teleported his group to the table with the whole lunch laid out before them. A snap of his talon brought a PB&J sandwich to giant size.

Barin was at this point starting to get used to the flashes of teleportation and magic. Thats not to say he dismissed it without question, but his reactions were much more tame. Still, he did have a moment of awe before resuming his action.

Without the option to sit at the table, Barin sat as close to it as comfortably possible and gratefully picked up the sandwich. “Mmmm, sandvich…”

Celestia was confused at the pronunciation. “You mean sandwich?”

“Yes, sandvich.”

Discord held up his lion palm at Celestia. “Tia, please, this is gold spewing from his mouth. Do not ruin it for me!” From there he began loudly munching on an unlabeled bag of triangular orange chips.

Luna inadvertently agreed with restrained laughter.

As the group ate, Barin took a closer look at the other princesses.

Celestia happened to be situated ‘next’ to him, and this was likely Discord’s intention. She munched away at a large sub sandwich of some variety while a large hand crept closer to its unsuspecting target.

Meanwhile, her chewing was steadily decreasing in speed as the hand got closer. She looked across the table at her fellow royalty, who was avoiding her gaze by having a awkward staring contest with a premium flower salad.

Narrowing her eyes, she vanished in the last second. Luna was in her place, and Celestia was in her sister's.

Not deterred by this, Barin felt Luna’s back tense up once his skin made contact with her fur.

To Luna’s credit she did not immediately reject this attention, nor spit out the salad in her mouth, but she then found it hard to keep chewing. He could feel her muscles fighting the urge to relax and embrace the feeling.

Barin kept petting once he saw her face, half ecstasy, the other half trying to retain formality. A battle of self-pride.

In the next pass, his hand went slowly across her neck. In this, she began to lean on it. When he felt that there was enough pressure, his hand left her side and Luna almost fell over.

This inspired a wave of embarrassment to wash over her. Her cheeks flushed through her coat, as she regained her posture, but the damage was done.

Celestia for one was laughing quite a bit at her sister’s reaction. This came to bite her back when Luna flipped the coin just as the hand was coming in for another pass.

Barin was not questioning this precious behavior, but instead enjoyed himself. The expressions on their faces filled him with some well needed mirth.

Celestia acted more casually towards this, but instead of leaning in, she simply picked up her food, and continued eating. Barin glanced at Discord, who was visibly disappointed in Celestia’s reaction. His chips were gone with the only trace of their existence being the orange powder on his lips, and a glass of green water was in his possession.

Celestia began talking idly. “So, how have your lessons with Twilight been?”

“Twilight teach.”

Celestia swallowed her food, and looked up at the proud giant. She could tell that he was pleased about this, suggesting that many words were learned.

“Twilight teach syringe, infinity, water, cheeze...and…” He gestured to the picnic basket. “pienis--no--picnic.”

The damage had been done.

Discord had laughed hard in his many lifetimes, as did Celestia and Luna, but this earned a particular spot in their memories. In a spurr Barin wouldn't see again for sometime, Celestia and Luna completely lost their composure, and found themselves on the ground unable to breathe.

If it weren't for Discord being a god, he would have likely suffocated. “An enjoyable pienis indeed-HAHAHA!”

Many hours of time had enjoyably passed after the immortals regained their breath. An enjoyable meal that Barin mostly had in silence while the others had talked. He enjoyed the friendly company like always, but now night had come, and Barin was taking time to relax.

Barin looked out over the forest through a castle window, and up to the sky. He saw the beautiful stars shine with light that sung like fireflies. The moon was like a white diamond that basked the world below in impermanent light. Said light twinkled in Barin’s glasses. Adding to the relaxing aura of the sleeping lands.

“Beauty is best seen in its natural state, when nothing in our control has touched it.”

His emotions deflated slightly, as did the relaxing aura. “Except for Luna, who supposedly made the beauty in the first place.” He furrowed his brow. “The night looks much nicer back on Earth. All I see are the stars, and the moon. Earth’s sky has the Milky Way, and is much more densely covered in stars. Lets not mention the lack of color diversity here. This planet must just be in a really empty–or boring–part of space.”

“I’m no astronomer, but this is a very simple night sky! Its mind boggling of how simple it is! I was hoping for something mind-blowing like new galaxies or a nebula!” Barin sighed and shook his head in disappointment and stepped back into the comfort of his home.

The table used for the picnic earlier that day was still covered in the the green water Discord spilled; thankfully, it didn’t smell. Barin smiled at the memory.

The fire was starting to dim, so for sake of a light long enough to get him asleep, he tossed in a few more logs. Involuntarily, his vision blurred, and a long yawn passed by his lips. Standing up straight, he took this opportunity to stretch and scan the room before bed.

The tarp door is closed, check. Wood pile is safe distance from fire, check. Fire is well fueled and strong, check.

As Barin sat down upon the bed, his mind had already begun to relax. The nights were surprisingly quiet, and the blankets were impressively cozy. Barin took off his boots to reveal the wool socks dressed beneath and to let the leather breathe for the night. He then removed his glasses before having them placed inside a secure case, which was then placed inside the left boot. Barin then slipped under the emergency blanket, soft leaves, and tarps, adjusting to rest on his side.

With a heavy sigh, his breath dilated into a light rhythm as the brain slowly fell into a peaceful slumber. The fire crackled and waved which also served as a humble white noise as the minutes quickly went by.

A silent step, hidden among the clicks of wood resinated near the entry archway. Hard surfaces came down with light clips on the stone floor, and each step was long and gentle. They paused when Barin shifted in his sleep, then they continued towards the foot of the bed.

There was an ominous feeling in having a massive giant sleep above the intruder, who moved with unpredictive grace. She approached the side facing the fire, and opened her wings.

One flap, two flaps, three, then four. She reached the lip of the bed, and stuck her head under the covers. With a dim glow from her horn, she could see the arms folded over his chest.

An object with a thin tube was drawn from her bag. It crept towards the inside of the upper arm slowly, as to not get caught in the blanket. She began to sweat, and the needle came ever so close. The arm jerked from the giant’s dream, and the intruder froze, apart from the wings that kept her balance. She stayed that way for a minute before resuming.

Carefully, ever so carefully, did the needle penetrate the surface. It began to draw blood.

Unfortunately, the choice of entry point was not the best. Barin yelped and sprung up into the sitting position; tossing the intruder into the mix of blanket material.

“Ow! Did something bite me?”

His eye caught a glimmer of a shiny object on his arm. Even with his poor vision Barin could see the syringe lodged in his arm.

He stiffened up, and pulled the needle out in a violent hysteria, before throwing it down from his grasp where it shattered on the bed. He looked at the skin, but could not see any trace of an entry point.

Barin was now pissed, and much like his father, his rage was uncontrolled. She stooped to a new low! Poking me. While! I! Sleep?!

He spotted the remains of the syringe as a drip on his blanket. The liquid was red.

Was it blood, poison, a vaccine? It didn't matter. What did matter was the alicorn dressed in dark tactical stealth gear and a matching bandanna, crawling free of the blanket.

She suddenly snapped her head at Barin with a face that knew she was in trouble.

He grabbed her with both hands. “You break infinity!”

The pony was absolutely terrified. It was the first time she saw him angry up close, and at her nonetheless. His face was threatening, and his eyes were dilated. His voice was loud and petrifying, and his grip was nearly crushing her. Twilight’s magic was somehow muffled by his touch, making advanced teleport spells impossible.

From his perspective, she appeared absolutely terrified. Her ears were folded back and her eyes were small and still. Her voice was fast and helpless. “I-I’m sorry, I just wanted a blood sample-!

Infinity!” Barin’s voice boomed, causing the alicorn to flinch from the pain in her ears.

Barin looked on the ground, he saw her saddle bag, filled with more needles, vials, and other equipment. What the hell was she planning?!

Barin’s face got tighter, as did his grip, and his chest swelled with betrayal.

He turned back to Twilight, who started to cry softly from the increase in pressure and terror. Barin stood up from his bed, drew his arm back, and launched the princess towards the exit archway like a baseball.

Thankfully Twilight caught herself mid flight with fear in her eyes, but obliged the unsaid request to get out. Barin watched Twilight fly off into the night sobbing while keeping a hoof to her aching chest.

Briefly, Barin felt sorry for the pony. Then his mind drifted back to the broken promise, and his features contorted into anger. Growling angrily under his breath, Barin turned his back on the archway and shambled his way back towards his bed with no sympathy.

Author's Note:

I enjoy writing this. If only English assignments were this enjoyable, I would have an A.

Credit to Dark Nebula for the conflict between Twi and Barin, he knows how to add that touch of darkness to a scene.