• Published 5th May 2014
  • 34,360 Views, 4,146 Comments

The King Is Dead, Long Live The Emperor! - Bucking Nonsense



A changeling, sent back in time due to a freak accident, kills King Sombra... and ends up as the new ruler of the city. Hilarity ensues.

  • ...
86
 4,146
 34,360

The Legendary Blade

"The Starblade is here, in the Crystal Empire."

The entity known now as Summer suppressed a shudder, remembering the short sentence that Winter had whispered in her ear just a short time before. While there were few things in this world that could cause a being like her to feel fear, that weapon was most definitely one of them.

She and Winter were feasting in the pantry of Scarlet Wake's manor. As Winter had expected, they were undisturbed. Whatever plans that Scarlet Wake had set in motion earlier, they most likely were well underway. Well, it wasn't as though she really cared: Whoever and whatever was in the mansion when they were done would be converted to ashes when she was done eating.

While she devoured a feast fit for three dozen ponies (and Winter roasted apples over the flames that were now the alicorn's mane and tail), she considered what information she had on the legendary weapon. Given that she had access to the combined knowledge of both Celestia and Luna at her disposal, having been inside of both of their heads recently, that gave her a lot of information to review.

When this world was formed, certain rules were put into place, regarding each sphere of power, each race of beings, and the like. Those rules were supposedly inviolate: They were the laws that formed the foundation of this world. Laws likes gravity, conservation of mass, the laws of thermodynamics, these were rules that could not be broken by mere mortals, so far as she (and the princesses) knew. But while that was usually a good thing, the fact that these laws could not be broken was sometimes a problem.

Take the Deathless One, for example.

In ancient times, there was a dark lord named Koschei, who had, through various supernatural bargains, had made it impossible for him to die (Hence the name, obviously). The fact that he was already an immortal would have made this seem redundant, except that the bargains he made were set in such a way that the few weaknesses he'd had as the bearer of the sphere of evil were now completely covered. Where it had once been possible (Through means of a long quest to find the object that was his one true weakness) to kill him, the absolute ruler of the power of all things evil had achieved true invulnerability. Now confident in his ability to make everyone, everywhere forever his nag, he went on a campaign of terror, intent upon world conquest...

...And he came very close to succeeding.

With the power granted by his sphere, Koschei was a truly terrible sight to behold. His sphere of power being that of evil, he understood something that very few immortals did: His sphere was not limited to simply literal evil, but also metaphorical evils as well... and almost anything can be a metaphorical evil, with enough imagination. This gave him dominion over practically everything in the world, once all of his weaknesses were removed.

It was in the Griffin Kingdoms that the Dark Lord finally met his demise. A young griffin named Arthur, whose village was captured and dominated by the dread tyrant's army, made a wish upon a star, that there might be something, anything, that might put an end to this nightmare. It was then that a miracle happened.

The star that he wished upon fell from the sky.

When the youth went to see the fallen star, he found a perfect sphere of glowing white metal... that sang to him. It sang to Arthur all the secrets of the starry cosmos, including how that sphere might be worked into a weapon that could end Koschei's tyranny forever. After a long and difficult quest, Arthur reached the great sage Merlin, who would later be renamed the Starsmith, the one being who could work the otherwise invulnerable metal into a blade. Once the forging was complete, with blade in claw, Arthur marched back to his homeland and challenged Koschei to a duel. Koschei responded by calling up his entire army, and leading them out to crush the single griffin foolish enough to challenge him, intent upon claiming the obviously powerful blade he carried.

The battle that ensued would change history, and geography. Arthur soon discovered that the one who carried the Starblade held the absolute power of the infinite cosmos, a power beyond good and evil, beyond all things that mortals could comprehend. As such, Koschei's control of all evil was useless against it. With a single swing of the blade, mountains crumbled, armies were vanquished, and the skies themselves trembled in fear. For three long days, the two mighty warriors fought, neither one able to gain ground. At the climax of the battle, Arthur raised the sword up high... and pierced the heavens.

It was then that Arthur, and the world at large, discovered the true power of the Starblade: As a star, something that was not part of this world, the weapon, and its wielder, were exempt from the rules that governed the world as we know it. The one who carried the Starblade could do the impossible, see the invisible, touch the untouchable... and break the unbreakable. It gave the extended middle talon to every force that opposed it: It was the exception to end all exceptions. The bearer of the blade could do anything he willed, regardless of whatever rules were in place to contradict that desire...

...Even unleash the limitless power of the cosmos upon a single being in a beam of coherent energy hotter than a thousand suns.

The limitless power of the universe beyond this world struck down Koschei, the Deathless One. The dark lord was annihilated so utterly that it damaged the sphere of evil itself, so that the power of evil could never perfectly infuse a single being with its power as it had with the Deathless One. With the dark lord vanquished, the armies that had followed Koschei fled in fear of the golden griffin with the blade of limitless power.

Arthur would carry that blade for centuries, creating the first United Griffin Kingdom and ruling it as well as he could, given that he had no real experience in politics, being the son of a farmer and nothing more. However, that reign came to an end when his illegitimate son Mordred tricked the king into trying to use the Starblade to destroy itself. Arthur had been certain that the Starblade, being an exception to all rules, was invincible and could not be destroyed, even by itself. Mordred, on the other hoof, had reasoned that, if the blade could do anything, then even if the blade was indestructible and could not destroy itself, that as an exception to all rules, it could still create an exception to that rule if the wielder wished it, and destroy itself anyways. Mordred had turned out to be right. With the blade broken, Arthur was a mere mortal, and was soon slain by Mordred.

But if the blade had been shattered into pieces, and was never reforged by the Starsmith... then how could it be here now?
----------------------------------

Ruggiero was having the time of his life. The offspring of Lord and Lady Scorpion loved to fly. It was the griffin in him, he supposed: You put any bird in a cage, and naturally it will want nothing more than to spread its wings. He hated being locked up in that room, forced to hide from the world for reasons he could not understand. So what if his father was a pony, and his mother a griffin? Why should that matter to anyone?

Regardless, he'd been as happy as he'd ever been when he'd found that the lock on his door was easily picked this time, when it had proven intractable all the times before. While he'd be forced to head home when his wings started to get sore, for now, he was exulting in the feeling of the wind beneath his wings. There was only one thing that could possibly make this better...

Hearing a commotion below, Ruggiero smiled to himself. There was a fight down there, somewhere. The way things were going, he'd need to figure out a way to kill tomorrow, so the best night ever would never end...
---------------------------------

Things were not going well for Golden Grace and the rest of their party...

The escaping ponies had managed to finally make their way to the end of the tunnel, and came out in an abandoned warehouse, not far from the palace. According to Ironwood, this next stretch would be the most dangerous: The Circle was certain to have the palace watched tonight, just in case somepony tried to escape from Scarlet Wake's mansion and inform the emperor of the Circle's misdeeds. It was Ironwood's hope that there were only watchers, and not assassins, that were in position, since with so many non-combatants present, odds were that if they were attacked, somepony could get hurt. Thus, speed was their best defense...

But their hopes of reaching the palace unmolested had been dashed when a dozen griffin wights had dropped down from the ceiling of the warehouse, all of them armed, armored, and ready for battle. It seemed that Scarlet's secret tunnel was not, in fact, all that secret anymore.

The party had managed to escape the warehouse, more by luck than anything else, without anypony getting hurt. However, once outside, the party had found that two dozen more wights were waiting for them. Golden Grace was no warrior, nor was Nopony. Ironwood, while certainly big and strong, was only an earth pony, so he'd only be able to deal with one or two before the rest overwhelmed him... and the rest of the ponies here would likely be torn apart shortly afterwards...
--------------------------------

Ruggiero was delighted to see the fight about to unfold below. He loved fighting: His parents had pressed a sword into his claws literally the moment he was old enough to hold one, and he'd been made to train every single day with it until it was practically a part of his body. Looking down at the little party below, gravely outnumbered, he'd decided he'd join on their side: After all, that meant that he'd have so many more enemies to kill.

Besides, there were mares his age down there, and Ruggiero was just reaching the age where females were starting to look much more interesting than before...

Grinning like a maniac, he reached for the blade strapped to his back, and prepared to swoop down and join the fray...

Author's Note:

Koschei The Deathless
Ruggiero
As for piercing the heavens, doing the impossible, seeing the invisible, touching the untouchable or breaking the unbreakable, if you don't know about those, go watch Gurren Lagann. I can't give you a link to that: There is no easy way to get to Awesome Town, but when you get there, you'll know it.