• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 567 Views, 0 Comments

Caffienated Melodrama - Quicksoalar



Sweetie tries to make a cappuccino for Rarity. And fails.

  • ...
 0
 567

Oh gosh, what did I concoct?!

A cappuccino cost me my life.

I have only myself to blame, thinking myself even capable of completing even such a menial task as this. What was shaping up to be a wonderful morning that hinted at a great day, all broken because of me and my mistakes. Honestly, though, why in Equestria did I expect this to work? Why would I ever be so dumb as to believe that this… mess could win her over? I’m such a klutz, especially when it comes to cooking, or baking, or anything that has to do with putting ingredients together to supposedly create something “edible” or “drinkable” or whatever. This is why I’m not allowed to touch anything in the horrifying place known as the kitchen. Such a promising place, sweetly scented and just so inviting.

This happens every time I try to do something nice for her- my sister, that is. I fail. Miserably. After it happens, all I can do is think about it. And it seems my sister’s the same way. The way she lets me know exactly what she thinks, especially when it’s hurtful, you’d think that she hated me… or that I hated her. I mean, I guess it could appear as though I’m trying to poison her or something. Not that I’d ever do anything like that. At least, not on purpose. Which ingredient I ever use could possibly do something so terrible? Vanilla? No. Cocoa? Definitely not. An accidental drop of Eye of Newt? …Nah, totally safe.

After trying to present my “cappuccino” to my sister as a part of her birthday breakfast, and promptly receiving a disgusted, twisted face from her as she tried it, I now sit out on the porch step dejectedly. Celestia's warm, morning sun is in just right the position in the sky to please the skin and the eyes. I swing my legs absentmindedly as I try to think of what could have possibly gone wrong in the making. Is the drink really that bad? I glance down at the cup in my hand. How would I know, though? I know my sister can be quite the drama queen at times. Maybe it actually tastes pretty good. An idea pops into my mind, and I jump up excitedly. I know! Maybe one of my friends could try it! They’re always very truthful.

“Rarity!” I call out to my sister through the open window. “I’ll just be out at the clubhouse at Apple Bloom’s, ‘kay?” After hearing a (dramatically) strained okay, I skip down the steps and out towards Apple Bloom’s home.

------

Apple Bloom is one of my two best friends. She lives on a very spacious lot, where her family grows lots of the produce for the small town we live in. Tiny clouds of dust puff up around my feet as I walk along the path that leads to our clubhouse. It’s really quite nice out here, very quiet, peaceful-

“Hi there, Sweetie Belle!”

I almost spill the cappuccino, letting out a startled squeak as Scootaloo, my other friend, pulls up behind my on her scooter. She lets out an amused chuckle and pats me on the head. “Always the same greeting with you!”

I grumble, pushing her hand off of my and flicking my wavy hair at her face. “It wouldn’t be if you didn’t sneak up on me like- like some kind of stalker!” This receives a laugh, which only pushes more blood to my face than there already was. “Just… oh, whatever, let’s just head down to the clubhouse.” Stomping off with Scootaloo following, I reach our destination in only a minute or two. We climb up the wooden slab that’s placed as a sort of ladder up to the little clubhouse. A pair of two, round orange eyes can be seen through the slide in the door. They disappear as they spot us and all that can be seen is a mouth, stern yet quivering with repressed laughter.

“What’s the password?” an obviously and comically deepened voice calls out, the country accent as prominent as ever.

Scootaloo and I giggle as she replies, “Oh, you know we don’t have one! You change it, like, every day!” The slide shuts abruptly and the door opens to reveal an irate Apple Bloom. “C’mon, you two. Can’t y’all even play along?” She glances at the drink in my hand as we walk in. “What’s that?”

I sigh. “A botched birthday gift for Rarity. I thought for sure I could make it right this time!”

Scootaloo grins, her new purple braces reflecting the sun into my eyes. “Still with the cooking, eh? Didn’t you learn, what with happened last time?”

An exasperated groan leaves my mouth. “That so wasn’t my fault! There was a GI bug going around, don’t you remember?”

“Yeah, yeah. Just don’t make me try it.”

Please?” I put on my best puppy-dog eyes look and hold the cup out. She rolls her eyes.

“Fine, I’ll try it I guess. Just hope it doesn’t make my insides become my outsides.” I stick out my tongue and she snatches the cup out of my hand. With a nervous glance and loud gulp, Scootaloo tips the cup back. Her face scrunches up and she holds back a gag. “Oh, yeah it’s- uh- great.”

“Really?”

She deadpans. “No. Sorry Sweetie Belle, but this one’s a bust.” I can feel my face fall, crestfallen. So, it wasn’t just Rarity being dramatic?

A light hand holds my shoulder, and I look back to see Apple Bloom smiling softly. I let out a sniffle; she replies with a quiet sigh. “Ah’ll try it, too. Maybe it really isn’t that bad n’ Scootaloo’s just bein’ that way ‘gain.”

“Hey!” Scootaloo crosses her arms across her chest, making her light orange hoodie puff up around them. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Aw, shush. Ya’ll know.”

Scootaloo purses her lips, eyes narrowing. “Fine then, just try the stuff.”

“Ah will!” She swiftly takes the drink from Scootaloo and takes a swig. Her head hangs down slightly, her licorice red hair shifting in front of her face.

Worry creases my expression as I move a step towards Apple Bloom. “Um, how is it? Is it alright?”

After a moment of silence, Apple Bloom swipes her hair behind her ear. Her eyes shine slightly, a painfully fake smile plastered on. “It’s, er…” She suddenly lunges forward, making me jump back and her pink bow bounce. Her hands clasp onto my shoulders, and she sighs heavily. “Oh, Sweetie Belle,” she pushes out. Another moment passes by before she continues. “Maybe… Ah think that maybe ya’ll should stick to singin’.”

I can feel tears welling up in my eyes, blurring my vision slightly. “W-what? Is it really that awful? Am I really that awful?” My mouth quivers, and I bolt out the door as fast as I can.

“Wait, Sweetie Belle, come back!” I don’t even turn around.

------

It isn’t my sister being a sister; it isn’t that she simply didn’t like the drink. It’s terrible. Horrible. Absolutely gross. By the time I reach my home, panting for breath, my white dress is covered in the dust I kicked up. Gross, that’ll take forever to wash out. More importantly, though, the cappuccino did not spill.

Rarity opens the front door and gasps upon spotting my dirtied clothes. “Sweetie Belle, what ever did you do to get your lovely dress so dirty?” She pauses in her scolding when she sees my expression. She begins to walk out of her home and down the stairs towards me. “What’s wrong, Sweetie? Did something happen?” When I don’t respond, but simply sniffle and wipe my eye, she sighs. “This isn’t about what I reacted earlier, is it?”

A sob forms in my throat and I don’t hold it back. With it comes a flood of emotions. “Am I really that bad of a cook, or drink maker, or whatever? Is it really that disgusting? Am I really that foul?”

Rarity’s frown deepens. “I’m sorry about what I did.” She begins to reach towards me. “I shouldn’t have been so har-“

“No!” I interrupt with a shout. “No, you were telling the truth! You woke me up, Rarity- you made me realize just how awful everything that I do is!” I glance down at the remainder of the drink. An idea forms in my mind, and I look back up into her eyes. “I’m done.” And I throw the drink back, down my throat. My eyes widen and I gag.

It truly is poison!

The poison slowly courses through me, making me fall to the ground, squirming. I let out a final gasp, and then I am still. After a long pause, Rarity lets out a huff as she rolls her eyes. “My goodness, what a drama queen.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment